Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Company Support Forums > Maxamps discussion
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Maxamps discussion Welcome to the Maxamps.com support forum

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #26
JAM MaxAmps

Friends: (0)

We really don't have an official stand on it other than that we have seen no issues at all. I have been running Li-Po's in my DX7 for 6 months with no issues and I also run them in my DX3 and my DX3.0 as well. I have a friend who is running our Li-Po TX pack in his New JR 9303 2.4 TX'er and he hasn't had any issues either. It may come down to the fact that they don't make their own Li-po and want people to keep buying their NimH packs. It's hard to say, other than that I haven't really heard a good reason why you can't run Li-Po's in them.

Jason

Jason
MaxAmps Marketing Manager
jason@maxamps.com
www.NitroKillers.com
www.MaxAmps.com
Old 08-07-2008, 07:49 PM   #27
Hughes500Bob
Full Scale Pilot

Originally Posted by JAM MaxAmps View Post
Guys this thread was about our Li-Po TX'er packs. If your going to talk about another companies product please start a thread in that companies section and not ours.

Thank you and Best regards,

Jason
Sorry ..... In post #2 YOU mentioned using the Dualsky Lipo. If you sell that one than I certainly apologize for mentioning the other vendor.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #28
JAM MaxAmps

We used to sell that pack but haven't for quite some time. We make our own now.

Jason

Jason
MaxAmps Marketing Manager
jason@maxamps.com
www.NitroKillers.com
www.MaxAmps.com
Old 08-08-2008, 03:30 AM   #29
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by JAM MaxAmps View Post
It's hard to say, other than that I haven't really heard a good reason why you can't run Li-Po's in them.

Jason
Voids your warranty is good enough for me!

And to be honest they use cheap(ish) voltage regulators on the Spektrums (listen to that DX7 hum it is the voltage reg - I think).

But really Jason - why not drop a simple diode on the pack - drop the full charge voltage down - and then add the safety of low voltage alarms of your TX will sound long before your pack is actually anywhere near 3v/cell.

Diodes are cheap!

Off topic (sorta)
By the way I have 4-5 buddies than run 3s voltage in their Spketrum systems none have had issues. What don't radio manufacturers use 2s LiPoly setups - 2s LiFe setups?

O well - but again why not the diode?

Mike
Old 09-02-2010, 04:05 AM   #30
smartbird

Two members in our club have lost three aircraft and had two radio repairs from the Lipo addition. I was present at the last, it was the worst crash I have seen at high power and steep angle it hit pavement. You know it was bad when the motor case is broke. Upon the second repair of a blown cap, the manufacturer inserted a form letter instructing that the unit is not capable of the Lipo conversion, and instructed not to use it again.

For me, I will try the switcher upgrade. But prior to the Lipo decision, I will check the circuit trace from the battery until it gets to this voltage drop switching unit. If there are components that are suspect to the extra volt it may see, I will stay with a NiCd or NiMh. If I had a scope, I would like to see how clean the 3.3 volts delivered from the modification are.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:41 AM   #31
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by smartbird View Post
Two members in our club have lost three aircraft and had two radio repairs from the Lipo addition. I was present at the last, it was the worst crash I have seen at high power and steep angle it hit pavement. You know it was bad when the motor case is broke. Upon the second repair of a blown cap, the manufacturer inserted a form letter instructing that the unit is not capable of the Lipo conversion, and instructed not to use it again.

For me, I will try the switcher upgrade. But prior to the Lipo decision, I will check the circuit trace from the battery until it gets to this voltage drop switching unit. If there are components that are suspect to the extra volt it may see, I will stay with a NiCd or NiMh. If I had a scope, I would like to see how clean the 3.3 volts delivered from the modification are.
H'mm
Blown Cap? In my 50 years experience with servicing and repairing electronic equipment, a blown cap often indicates it was subjected to voltage over its voltage rating. Especially if it was a surface mounted tantalum capacitor. If you subject a tantalum capacitor to voltage over its rating, it's often only a matter of time until it fails.

(A cap can also fail if it is subjected to AC currents above its rating, but doubt if that would happen in a transmitter.)

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Company Support Forums > Maxamps discussion