Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > For Sale & Wanted Forums > iTrader talk
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

iTrader talk Discuss specifics about transactions both postive and negative. No bashing allowed, please keep the tone civil with facts.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-17-2008, 02:56 AM   #151
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

View smokejohnson's Gallery22
Club: Independent
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (108)

Looks like you finally dropped FeeBay Jeff, I don't blame ya. I like the refinements made to your new site, looks good. It also looks like you dropped the price on some of your motors...that's always sweet .

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/StoreFront

Old 12-17-2008, 03:04 AM   #152
all_up_in_the_air
HeadsUp RC.com

Friends: (4)

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
Looks like you finally dropped FeeBay Jeff, I don't blame ya. I like the refinements made to your new site, looks good. It also looks like you dropped the price on some of your motors...that's always sweet .

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/StoreFront
Yes, I'm all done with eBay. When I started selling there, the store selling fees were 7%. They increased the fees to 10%, and then recently to 12%. Enough said....

Old 12-17-2008, 03:18 AM   #153
Prof100

Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by all_up_in_the_air View Post
Yes, I'm all done with eBay. When I started selling there, the store selling fees were 7%. They increased the fees to 10%, and then recently to 12%. Enough said....
WOW, that's a whopping 71% INCREASE in fees. YIKES.

BTW, I like that new MG servo. I was thinking about getting a couple for a new Megafly.

Bill

Bill
Old 12-17-2008, 03:26 AM   #154
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I think I'm going to give one of these a try on my Hobby Lobby Yak.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail

Old 12-17-2008, 03:56 AM   #155
all_up_in_the_air
HeadsUp RC.com

I would like some opinoins here:

I've considered having a "Bargain Basement - No Returns Accepted" category in my store. I would sell some of the exact same products HC sells so dirt cheap, and I could offer them at very competitive pricing if I didn't have to deal with returns.

I get the feeling that a lot of people buy those items directly from Hong Kong with the thought that they probably won't try to get them replaced if they're defective anyway.

I'm just wondering how people might view this. As a seller, I see this as a way to really give HC some serious price competition, but I don't want to attempt it if it will damage our reputation for good customer service.

Is this something you would like me to try? Good reasons for and against this idea will be appreciated...

Old 12-17-2008, 04:09 AM   #156
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

I've considered having a "Bargain Basement - No Returns Accepted" category in my store. I would sell some of the exact same products HC sells so dirt cheap, and I could offer them at very competitive pricing if I didn't have to deal with returns.

I get the feeling that a lot of people buy those items directly from Hong Kong with the thought that they probably won't try to get them replaced if they're defective anyway.

I'm just wondering how people might view this. As a seller, I see this as a way to really give HC some serious price competition, but I don't want to attempt it if it will damage our reputation for good customer service.

Is this something you would like me to try? Good reasons for and against this idea will be appreciated...
Their service sucks and I'd rather know I was gett'in from you on a no return deal up-front than from them know'in what'll happen if you need service, I've got a horror story go'in on with them as we speak over a antenna-less receiver they said over an over again they'd make right only to make me go though the motions over & over & over & over, your my guy from now on ( except for Jason at GWS prop's for my planes & three blade spinners), thanks Jeff, bub, steve

Monkey Minion'air
Old 12-17-2008, 04:16 AM   #157
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

View gfdengine204's Gallery6
Club: RC Dusters, AMA 3875, Sandwich, IL
Send a message via AIM to gfdengine204
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (53)
Default I would be kinda wary of a "No-Return" Policy, but......

Jeff,

Are these "reconditioned" items, or first runs? If we purchased them, should we assume they would be working when they arrive, just unable to return them should a problem arise?

I guess one of my big reasons I like buying my stuff from you is if there ever is a problem, I know you are a stand-up retailer and stand behind your product. (Note: I have never had a major issue, just a couple missing grub screws, which you took good care of immediately. I have read of others you have taken great care of in the rare instances there has been a problem) I very very rarely buy anything with a "no-return" policy, hence my trepidation here.

- Kev
AMA 873921
RC Dusters Flying Club, AMA 3875, Sandwich, IL

Question with Boldness. Hold to the Truth. Speak without fear.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:17 AM   #158
Prof100

Jeff,

Create the bargain basement and state clearly that there is NO warranty expressed or implied.

Hobby King, Hobby City, United Hobbies or whatever Andrew Hand calls it these days. I do buy from them but completely understand their "warranty" is not a warranty. HC lays down broken glass, obstacles the size of Asia, and they delay, delay, delay all to assure the hassle factor is sky high so the customer with a claim just won't pursue it.

You'll have to be wary of snipes from people who can read but end up buying an as-is no warranty motor only to complain and whine about lack of service. Guaranteed this will happen no matter if the NO WARRANTY statement is in 36 point font.

By the way, add the Suppo product line of motors and escs. There is nothing better for a foamy pusher jet than a 50 gram 2212-06 motor and 30 or 40 amp esc.

Because you have such a great reputation for standing behind asian RC motors, and other you need to properly position the bargain basement. Perhaps renaming it like Horizon does with their as-is no warranty clearance site on ebay. But I feel cool with knowing I am buying new stock that I take the risk on it arriving dead, just like you do when you buy from overseas.

edit: I picture a link to Jeff's Bargain Basement that once clicked, has Terms and Conditions popup that states clearly that entering the site means you will being buying new product that carries no warranty expressed or applied. Click here to Accept. I would add another twist to the Bargain basement. I would not sell singles, I would only sell in lots of 3, 5, and more to turn your inventory. if people only want to buy one at a time they can go back to the standard HeadsupRC site.

Bill

Bill
Old 12-17-2008, 04:20 AM   #159
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Bill raises a good point; have you considered expanding your product line beyond TowerPro for your motors? I've never (knock on wood) had a problem with them, but am always looking for more choices.

Jeff, you almost have your own forum here as it is, eh?

- Kev
AMA 873921

Old 12-17-2008, 04:50 AM   #160
all_up_in_the_air
HeadsUp RC.com

Already some great input...thanks!

The products would be brand new items. For eaxmple, HC sells a Tower Pro motor and speed control for $14.95, and it includes a propeller too! Well, this is a promotional item that I have access to, the same as HC. There is no way that I can match that price, due to the cost of getting the product from China to the USA. I can come close though, IF I don't have to deal with returns. When you cut the profit margin that close, just one return cancels out the profit in many sales.

From the comments above, I'm pretty reluctant to proceed with this. I suspect that I WILL have customers complaining if they receive a faulty item, as Bill pointed out. And Kev's comment as to why he buys from me shows why I should be concerned about trading good customer service for rock bottom pricing.

Maybe I can split the difference.....

As for expanding the product line...I'm working on it

Thanks for the input...it really IS appreciated!

Old 12-17-2008, 04:56 AM   #161
all_up_in_the_air
HeadsUp RC.com

Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post

Because you have such a great reputation for standing behind asian RC motors, and other you need to properly position the bargain basement. Perhaps renaming it like Horizon does with their as-is no warranty clearance site on ebay. But I feel cool with knowing I am buying new stock that I take the risk on it arriving dead, just like you do when you buy from overseas.

edit: I picture a link to Jeff's Bargain Basement that once clicked, has Terms and Conditions popup that states clearly that entering the site means you will being buying new product that carries no warranty expressed or applied. Click here to Accept. I would add another twist to the Bargain basement. I would not sell singles, I would only sell in lots of 3, 5, and more to turn your inventory. if people only want to buy one at a time they can go back to the standard HeadsupRC site.

Bill
I like this idea...going to give it some thought!

Old 12-17-2008, 05:05 AM   #162
Prof100

Already some great input...thanks!

The products would be brand new items. For eaxmple, HC sells a Tower Pro motor and speed control for $14.95, and it includes a propeller too! Well, this is a promotional item that I have access to, the same as HC. There is no way that I can match that price, due to the cost of getting the product from China to the USA. I can come close though, IF I don't have to deal with returns. When you cut the profit margin that close, just one return cancels out the profit in many sales.

From the comments above, I'm pretty reluctant to proceed with this. I suspect that I WILL have customers complaining if they receive a faulty item, as Bill pointed out. And Kev's comment as to why he buys from me shows why I should be concerned about trading good customer service for rock bottom pricing.

Maybe I can split the difference.....

As for expanding the product line...I'm working on it

Thanks for the input...it really IS appreciated!
Jeff,

The "bargain basement" has to be obvious. In brick and mortar stores it's obvious. When I go to upscale furniture stores and they have a Clearance Center its usually in warehouse part of the store. Items, while new are clearly labeled as as-is no warranty. However, in the world of etailing the storefront is the website and the difference must be drastic on the screen to prevent confusion or customer amnesia. Tthat's why it's key to build a different looking bargain basement that it looks and feels differen and it merely links to your standard store.

Bill
Old 12-17-2008, 05:14 AM   #163
all_up_in_the_air
HeadsUp RC.com

Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Jeff,

The "bargain basement" has to be obvious. In brick and mortar stores it's obvious. When I go to upscale furniture stores and they have a Clearance Center its usually in warehouse part of the store. Items, while new are clearly labeled as as-is no warranty. However, in the world of etailing the storefront is the website and the difference must be drastic on the screen to prevent confusion or customer amnesia. Tthat's why it's key to build a different looking bargain basement that it looks and feels differen and it merely links to your standard store.
That's an excellent point. If I proceed, that's probably the route I will go.
Sounds like you have some experience in marketing.....
Thanks again!

Old 12-17-2008, 05:52 AM   #164
Prof100

That's an excellent point. If I proceed, that's probably the route I will go.
Sounds like you have some experience in marketing.....
Thanks again!
Jeff,

Glad to help you out. You've alway run your business just like you'd like to be treated as a customer. Good value, no hassle and no surpises. It's commendable and most appreciated.

Yes, I have few years in marketing and market research.

Bill
Old 12-17-2008, 05:54 AM   #165
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

View Fly Time's Gallery17
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (20)

I think I'm going to give one of these a try on my Hobby Lobby Yak.

Here's the motor I have on my H-L Yak 55

It's not as pretty as the one you were looking at but it's all the power you'll ever need on that plane for half the cost. I added landing gear to mine (much more fun) and fly with a GWS 10x6 and a 3S 1500mAh lipo. Long flight time and unlimited vertical

Doug
Loves the sound of 50 amps through an outrunner!
Old 12-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #166
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I think as long as it was just a few items separated from your regular good deals it would be alright. Your great service is always one of the first things mentioned when linking to your store. You have done a great job of building a solid reputation.

Originally Posted by Fly Time View Post
Here's the motor I have on my H-L Yak 55

It's not as pretty as the one you were looking at but it's all the power you'll ever need on that plane for half the cost. I added landing gear to mine (much more fun) and fly with a GWS 10x5 and a 3S 1500mAh lipo. Long flight time and unlimited vertical
Thanks Doug. The main reason for wanting the more expensive motor is that it will drop right in my RichModels Yak with out any modifications.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:18 PM   #167
all_up_in_the_air
HeadsUp RC.com

I think as long as it was just a few items separated from your regular good deals it would be alright.
I'm not sure about having the items in my regular store though. I think the idea of having a link to a separate site that is clearly different would be the way to go. That way, I wouldn't be risking our reputation for good customer service.
This is something that will have to wait till after the Chinese New Year, as most of the factories shut down for about 3 weeks in Jan/Feb.
I'll give it some more thought, and make a decision by mid-January.
Thanks for the input!

Old 12-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #168
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I'm not sure about having the items in my regular store though. I think the idea of having a link to a separate site that is clearly different would be the way to go. That way, I wouldn't be risking our reputation for good customer service.
This is something that will have to wait till after the Chinese New Year, as most of the factories shut down for about 3 weeks in Jan/Feb.
I'll give it some more thought, and make a decision by mid-January.
Thanks for the input!
Jeff,

Were you to open a secondary storefront, separated from HURC, might be the ideal way to go. Then, should a problem arise, it insulates your primary from the bargain-basement setups. By secondary, I mean a second domain, completely divided from HURC. Make sense?

- Kev
AMA 873921

Old 12-17-2008, 02:55 PM   #169
all_up_in_the_air
HeadsUp RC.com

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Jeff,

Were you to open a secondary storefront, separated from HURC, might be the ideal way to go. Then, should a problem arise, it insulates your primary from the bargain-basement setups. By secondary, I mean a second domain, completely divided from HURC. Make sense?
Yes, I agree completely. Then I'll leave the advertising for the site up to you guys....and we'll give HC a run for their money

Old 12-17-2008, 03:33 PM   #170
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Chiming into the conversation a little late, but here's by 2 pennies:

It sounds like you're already onto this line of thinking, but don't try to beat HC at their own game under the HeadsUp name. HeadsUp has built an excellent rep for very reasonable prices, great customer service, quick and cheap shipping, and (what I like most) extensive info about each product sold.

Doug
Old 12-17-2008, 05:48 PM   #171
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Didn't really finish my point on the last post. My wife and daughter walked into room and distracted me.

Anyway....

To compete with HC you have to understand what makes them successful. HC works when you are buying more than one or two things (otherwise shipping kills you), and when you can satisfy yourself that the items you are buying are of good quality and that returns are unlikely. That is why the customer reviews are so valuable. You can greatly reduce the chance that you end up with a bad product by reading the reviews.

They also have a huge selection. I doubt you could approach them on that, so best to focus on products that you know will sell.

So, match them on price. Beat them on product inormation. Concede to them selection and return policy (remember that their return policy is by and large a false promise anyway).

Where you can easily beat HC is in shipping cost and delivery time (at least to USA and Canada). If you can structure shipping costs to encourage bulk purchases while still beating HC in cost and shipping time, then you will win over a lot of customers.

Also, in my opinion, you could only get away with a no returns policy if you are selling items that you know to be of reliable quality. For every defective product that ships, you will have an unsatisfied customer who is less likely to return. And it wouldn't hurt to articulate the reason for a no returns policy. Let the customer understand that they are receiving a discount for accepting the risk that a product may not work.

Doug
Old 12-17-2008, 06:07 PM   #172
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Jeff,

Another thing to look at, perhaps, is if the products you wish to offer with a no-return policy have a manufacturer warranty. If so, then if it can't be returned to the vendor (you), it STILL can be handled by the manufacturer.

Just another $.02 to add to the jar.

- Kev
AMA 873921

Old 12-17-2008, 06:23 PM   #173
pburt1975
Hotel California

View pburt1975's Gallery17
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (10)

Jeff, what do you do with the returns? eat the cost? Why not include a section in the "Bargain Basement" for those items? The DIYer's junk box or something. Since it would already require signing off on "No Warrenty" it'd be a good place to dump that stuff thats a whole in your pocket otherwise.

Im sure there's a few diy guys that would rewind the TP motors even if they bought it new.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:38 AM   #174
all_up_in_the_air
HeadsUp RC.com

Originally Posted by Fly Time View Post
Where you can easily beat HC is in shipping cost and delivery time (at least to USA and Canada). If you can structure shipping costs to encourage bulk purchases while still beating HC in cost and shipping time, then you will win over a lot of customers.

Also, in my opinion, you could only get away with a no returns policy if you are selling items that you know to be of reliable quality. For every defective product that ships, you will have an unsatisfied customer who is less likely to return. And it wouldn't hurt to articulate the reason for a no returns policy. Let the customer understand that they are receiving a discount for accepting the risk that a product may not work.
You've made some very good points.
I would be selling some of the same products that I do now, so quality isn't really an issue. I would want people to know that they are accepting a small risk to get a great price.
I'm not sure about the "bulk purchases" angle. Prof100 mentioned that also and I'll have to do some thinking on it.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:41 AM   #175
all_up_in_the_air
HeadsUp RC.com

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Jeff,

Another thing to look at, perhaps, is if the products you wish to offer with a no-return policy have a manufacturer warranty. If so, then if it can't be returned to the vendor (you), it STILL can be handled by the manufacturer.

Just another $.02 to add to the jar.
They could probably return the products to the manufacturer, but you run into the same problem as returning items to HC...high shipping cost and long waits

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > For Sale & Wanted Forums > iTrader talk

Tags
heads , rc , thumbs