Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Regional Forums > Regional forums listing > Europe
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Europe For our RC brethren across the pond.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 08:38 AM   #1
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

View stinkweed007's Gallery18
Send a message via Skype™ to stinkweed007
Awards Showcase

AP Contest Winner  AP Contest Winner  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (14)
Lightbulb "Project Globetrotter"

I had a crazy idea when I woke up this morning...

How about I buy a plane.. a rugged, durable plane like an easystar or wing dragon.. something that most anyone can fly..

beg Marc or Mike for some WattFlyer stickers to put on it..

I take a few pictures of it showing it here in Wiesbaden.. then Fly it here in Wiesbaden, slap a local tourist sticker or two on the wing or fuselage.. put together a light weight shipping case, then send it to somebody along a "route" around the world.. like, I send it East... then the next pilot does the same.. take a few pics in their town state or country.. fly it.. upgrade if they want, then they put stickers on it, and send it East.. and so on and so on... the more, the better.. until it comes back to Wiesbaden.. then I send it to Marc or Mike in time for WattFlyers Next birthday on 08.

and we track it all here in pics and vids along the way..

Participants would have to understand that it will cost money to ship from their location to the next and that mailing addresses would only be shared between each point...

This would be the first R/C plane ever to be " 'Flown' around the Globe "

Any Takers??

if so, post here your city, state/province, country so we can get a preliminary map going...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Globetrotter exam.jpg
Views:	2133
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	29854  

Old 04-30-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery5
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (39)

Stinkweed, I have a few stickers left over from SEFF. PM your address and I'll get them out to you for this plane and a couple more for your own planes...

PS Folks reading this, I don't have that many so please don't bombard me with PM's begging for stickers!! Bombard Mike!

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don

Old 05-01-2007, 02:07 AM   #3
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Friends: (13)
Default Great Idea!!

I think that's a great idea, a huge logistix effort, but doable. Count me in when it gets close to Tacoma Wa.

Also, I gotta ask, would anybody be offended if I made my own Watt Flyer stickers to place on my planes?

Old 05-01-2007, 02:10 AM   #4
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

View Grasshopper's Gallery48
Awards Showcase

AP Contest Winner  WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (52)

I'm in! Will it have a TX and Rx with it or will it need to be on a certain frequency? All I have is a DX6

Tom

Old 05-01-2007, 02:14 AM   #5
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

View smokejohnson's Gallery22
Club: Independent
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (108)

Just want to subscribe, I think it's a great idea. Very cool.

I like the new smilies.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:22 AM   #6
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Awards Showcase

Guess you could leave the receiver out of it and each pilot could put his in then remove it when it's time to ship. Same with the battery.

Tom

Old 05-01-2007, 09:52 AM   #7
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

well... the plane comes with a TX and RX.. the one that comes with it is a 4 ch, 40.695mhz, ch53, left stick throttle. but now that you mention it, I guess it might be a better idea to ship without the TX and RX for customs and Weight reasons.. good Point Hopper...!

Sauce, I dont really see it as a huge logistics thing, because each pilot receives it.. then after flying and photos, sends/drives it to the next pilot.. couldn't be that bad...

when we get a few more international and stateside pilots I will get the bird. so spread the word!!!

Old 05-01-2007, 10:19 AM   #8
Son of Paleface
Ozzie Express Wiggy Pilot

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (8)

Count me in , Im in Adelaide South Australia .... Ian White

Thats the bottom of the red line in the middle of Australia

It would be better if each used their own Radio, TX & rx ....because of different Modes and Charging voltages in different countries and it would be best if it had its own 12volt Lipo or Nimh Charger , Im into A/P , so might be able to hang a camera off it and post some 'local scenery'

We must have had a BIG earthquake...the ground rose up and HIT my plane , Honest

Ozzie Express wiggy pilot

Old 05-01-2007, 11:14 AM   #9
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

sounds awesome!!!

ok... Radio not included... 12v NiMH charger.. on the list...

Old 05-01-2007, 11:16 AM   #10
K CLOSE
Huge Member

View K CLOSE's Gallery35
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

Damn cool idea Stink. I'm not only in, but I'll see about solving the transmitter/receiver prob. I think I have a PZ set up that I could donate to the cause. Not top shelf but good enough for this, no? That way it gets boxed and shipped complete from flyer to flyer. Your gonna have to (A) limit the sticker sizes I think and (B) find a way to collect any and all photos. Sending hard copys or CD's with the plane seems unnessessary, can we upload to a photo server somewhere?
Anyway, I've got my little area in NY covered, might even take it for a photo op in NY,NY. I work near the city and could do Lady Liberty pic for my area's icon.
Kelly
PS, maybe anyone involved (once approved by stink anyway) should add a link to this thread. 'jus say'n

Old 05-01-2007, 11:20 AM   #11
K CLOSE
Huge Member

View K CLOSE's Gallery35
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

Sorry, Missed the point/post on the transmitter, thought I'd send you one. How about donations instead?

Old 05-01-2007, 11:44 AM   #12
Son of Paleface

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

Obviously , each flyer would have to send the plane on , in good flying conditon , we wouldnt want to 'inherit' the previous flyers mistakes

We must have had a BIG earthquake...the ground rose up and HIT my plane , Honest

Old 05-01-2007, 01:46 PM   #13
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Ok... so we'll do it like this..

TX/RX
will be provided by each pilot (mostly due to frequencies and shipping weight), but the electrics (servos, motor, ESC) will remain in the plane unless upgraded by the pilot.. in which case the upgrade will REMAIN in the plane and passed forward.

Batteries
the plane will be shipped begining with 2x 9.6v 1000mah NiMH batts and a 12 VDC charger because of voltages/hertz in different countries. and again, if the batts get upgraded to LiPo's then a new 12 VDC charger should be put in the box and passed on..

Stickers
The plane will be decorated with WattFlyer stickers provided by Don Sims. all "tourist stickers" displaying the stops the plane has made should be without profanity/obscenity and really be limited to themes/towns of the region. in addition, the flag of each country can also be placed on the plane but should only be one per country.

Pilots should try their best NOT to cover the entire WattFlyer decals.. many will overlap but try not to cover everyones stuff.. try and limit size per sticker to about 5"x5".

Logo's and emblems of commercial manufacturers (ie Futaba or JR) should NOT be used because this little event is not sponsored nor endorsed by them (even if you work for them). Copyright and professional courtesies apply. but you may put on a sticker from your local club, with their permission first.

Passing on
once we get the list of participants, they will be numbered, then it will be up to the pilot to receive the mailing address of the next pilot via Private message or e-mail between the two pilots.. no displaying of mailing address' in the thread or forum. although some might want to join the list once the plane is underway, and we want alot of pilots and we'll try to work 'em in, we will want to keep the plane moving in an general eastward direction.. it has to go all the way around the world for this to mean something..

when the plane is shipped to the next pilot, it should be done so in a manner which can be tracked online in case of loss or misdirection. The cost will be on the participating pilot.

Photos / Log
I will make a "template" post for all pilots which you can log your participation.

Photos will be posted on a fresh Globetrotter thread once the process has begun. as well as a map and other info.

Repairs
um... you break it, you fix it.. but if the sticker surfaces break, then send the broken surface along with it so it stays "complete"

sound right....

We have alot of earth to cover.. and Im sure it will get alot stick time in the states, but if you have friends abroad, try to get them in on it..

maybe we could display it at SEFF '08.. or '09

Old 05-01-2007, 03:55 PM   #14
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Awards Showcase

I think it's a great idea! Can't wait to get going on it. It would also be nice to have a picture of the pilot holding the plane. Even better if it were in front of some sign or monument in their area.

It would also be good to make sure the plane is double boxed and insured when it's shipped. May also want to put a couple of permanent marks where the CG is since we'll be swapping batteries and receivers.

Way to go Stinky! Lets make this happen.

Tom

Old 05-01-2007, 06:56 PM   #15
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default More Ideas

It might take off best, excuse the pun, if it originates from the most saturated volunteered section, so far, showing the states are the likely candidate.

Along the plane, it should be a Watt Flyer members creation that's cheap and easy to fix, this is the build guide/reference I'm pointing towards: http://www.qnet.com/~skif/plane.html

I have several of these in my hanger, with the revisions I put in place on it, it's one tough plane so can handle plenty of abuse. With my style, I prefer dual ailerons and will have to make it so that it can be broken down for shipping purposes. As you can see, it's really easy to work on so there is no need to supply the tx/rx and the guy that created the original is really top notch, I've dialogged with him via. email a few times.

I'll volunteer the plane and include my old abused speed 400, 6.5" prop, 15 amp speed controller, 3 servo's, and a 9.6, 650 mah nimh battery pack, you guys are on your own for the tx/rx, they are a proven combination which makes it very easy to handle should we have to face the noob factor pilot wise. The charger should be left to the pilot due to the power requirments abroad, wall chargers that are compatable with the pack are everywhere and you can even use your lipo charger on it, I've done it successfully with several set up's.

Along the stickers, I think we should keep them down to 1" X 1" since I'm sure we are going to have alot of involvment and in the end, this will be covered with them.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:41 PM   #16
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Sauce,
<O:p
I have decided on a generic version of the Wing Dragon/Beginair (WD/BA)for this little escapade. My choice was based on the following.. <O:p
Flyability, this is more or less a 4ch trainer, I don’t want "skill level" to be a factor in the pilots involvement.<O:p
Survivability, the fuselage of the WD/BA is very crashable / survivable so we don’t have to worry about a bad day at the field terminating the project.<O:p
Reparability, parts for the WD/BA are available at nearly any LHS or OHS and the parts are cheap. no "creation" required.<O:p
Anonymity, I would like this project to be free of designer and brand name credits... this should be about the pilots of WF and not about someone's plane design. the WD/BA frame was sold outright to a number of distributors for production, so no 1 company or builder can say "My Plane" and somehow rob credit from the volunteer WF pilots who will make this project possible.

I do agree that this might pick up better speed if we start in the states.. and maybe "Go west" .. like start in N/E USA.. because that would make it end there as well.. I can still purchase and make the setup here, and when we get an east coaster to kick it off, then off we go...

I will pick up the plane this week, Don has sent the WF logos so they will be here next week.. then we'll get this started..

Tell a friend!!! and more...

Old 05-01-2007, 08:19 PM   #17
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default It's your baby

I picked the free foam flyer becaus it's not a commercially available plane, it never will, the intention by the original designer was purely to offer something that can easily be created and beyond dirt cheap to fix, you don't even need to order replacement parts, just hit the local hardware store for the foam and a little hot glue should you nose it into the ground 50' up, "I've wrecked mine in many creative ways in a manner, most planes would never survive", so that's why I wanted to present that one. It is really easy to fly which is another element that's addressed, but if you want to shell out the dough for something off the shelf, go for it, I just wanted to show, we have options.

Serious building skill really isn't required for that one as well, so wasn't expecting to take credit for some elaborate build and if I get your drift, the plane will be upgraded along the way, regardless, ultimately, this is your baby and since it's your idea, it's your call as to how this is all going to work. Again, great idea, this is unprecedented, I can't wait for it to start!!

Old 05-01-2007, 08:27 PM   #18
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Sauce,
Your idea is well taken, but like I said, I figure it best to have something that parts could, if needed, be easily obtained, smacked on, and we keep truckin..

I dont want pilot "can fly but can't build" (like me) to be stuck in the middle of the project with a plane he/she cant put back in the air.

WE NEED MORE PILOTS FOR THIS!!! WE HAVE SOME STATESIDE, 1 AUSSIE AND 1 EURO... WE NEED MORE!!! LOTS MORE!!!

Old 05-01-2007, 09:35 PM   #19
max2112
Super Contributor

View max2112's Gallery80
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Thumbs up

Stinkweed007,
I would like to volunteer and be a part of this! I think you have the Germany portion covered, but maybe I could meet up with you and take the pictures.
For sure I'll go in half of the shipping, too.

Maybe there could be room for one small Bavaria sticker!

Old 05-01-2007, 09:39 PM   #20
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Chief
well.. since we are in 2 different "states" we could do both... I can do Hessen, I usually run to Wurz every other sunday... then you could do Bayern.. sure splitting the ship cost to wherever would be great!! Im sure there will be similar arrangements made by other pilots.. sounds great!!

Old 05-01-2007, 09:53 PM   #21
max2112
Super Contributor

View max2112's Gallery80
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

Originally Posted by stinkweed007 View Post
Chief
well.. since we are in 2 different "states" we could do both... I can do Hessen, I usually run to Wurz every other sunday... then you could do Bayern.. sure splitting the ship cost to wherever would be great!! Im sure there will be similar arrangements made by other pilots.. sounds great!!
EXCELLENT!!
Feel free to PM me whenever things solidify.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:10 PM   #22
Balil
foam murderer :D

Friends: (2)

i see a texas longhorns sticker on this plane in the near future... and possibly a brushless inrunner and esc

what goes up, must come down! *looks around* sometimes they come down harder than we intend

Old 05-01-2007, 11:54 PM   #23
Son of Paleface

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

Stinky , more thought from down under , this will take quite some time to "get enough pilots" , I have spread the word a bit...Maybe a few notices in the 'other forums' , to alert other possible W/F's. The Wing Dragon is not readily avaliable here (for spare parts) Multiplex Ez star/glider and GWS slow stick are
Also , could a reliable BEC be included , this would save pilots having to mess/charge with a radio batt
Others chiming in on this should respect that this is your project and should offer suggestions only

Old 05-02-2007, 07:01 AM   #24
K CLOSE
Huge Member

View K CLOSE's Gallery35
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

Stink,
Are we OK to start posting the "project globetrotter" link on our postings to increase awareness / involvement?

Old 05-02-2007, 08:16 AM   #25
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

SOP,
I don't know much about parts in the outback , but you might search for the plane in another name, like Beginair or visually search through the pictures, I know it sounds dumb but, that is how I found out that my "Junior Pro" from my LHS was actually the WD/BA.. it might just have another name in your area.

Originally Posted by K CLOSE View Post
Stink,
Are we OK to start posting the "project globetrotter" link on our postings to increase awareness / involvement?
Knock it out!! I put it in mine for that very reason, you can also goto RCGroups or other forums, but it needs to be clear that this will be a WF project..

Closed Thread

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Regional Forums > Regional forums listing > Europe