Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters > E-Flite Helicopters
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

E-Flite Helicopters Discuss E-Flite helicopters in this forum such as the Blade CX, Blade CX2, Blade CP Pro and all other E-Flite rc helis.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-05-2007, 11:33 PM   #1
Testosterone

Friends: (1)
Default Which Blade CX2 mods are worth it??

I just bought my Blade CX2 and was wondering what mods are worth it. If anyone has experience with the mods out there, your advise would be great.

Basically, I want to be able to fly my CX2 outside, in calm conditions of course. I'm a little confused on which mods to go with. I've heard the tail boom mod works better for outdoor flying. Then there are all of the aluminum upgrades and so on and so on.....

Can someone please list from experience what the "worth while" mods are and where to purchase them? I appreciate any help.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5
Friends: (14)

I'm pretty new to this but I have gained some knowledge that I would be happy to share because there are things that I need help with too. (Give and take, right?) Anyway, buy ...
EFLH1240 Inner shaft & Aluminum head
EFLH1245 Aluminum lower rotor head
EFLH1246 Aluminum swashplate (not convinced on this one yet)
Fuse Mod! I've been pretty careful with my CX2 but I think that I've fried my 4in1 and at $60 with NO WARRANTY, the fuses should save cash.

***Horizon Hobby's 4in1 warranty is that if you've used it, there is no warranty. OK, maybe a little overboard but they will ask if you've crashed the helicopter (even a chipped blade) and if so, no warranty.

Basically, if you haven't broken the upper and lower heads yet, you will.
And rather than spending lots of $$ on upgraded blade holders, blades, motors, ... save the cash and practice on this one. When you think "you are the man" then buy another heli better suited for outdoor use!
Old 05-07-2007, 03:03 AM   #3
skyler_1_us

Send a message via AIM to skyler_1_us Send a message via Yahoo to skyler_1_us
Friends: (0)

Definatly the Aluminum Upper rotor head and the inner shaft (i had to replace my plastic one twice)

still in school but at least i can fly my Blade CX2
Old 05-07-2007, 03:38 AM   #4
Testosterone

I guess the next question would be - which brand for all these aluminum upgrades? Should I go with E Flight or another brand?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:32 AM   #5
brnyrbbl
Powered by Visa

Friends: (17)

Stay with the e-flite upgrades as there seems to be some complaints about the "other" companies products. The most popular boom kit is from boomtownhobbies.com.

~Aaron~
-It's not the size of the heli, it's how you fly it!
-The difference between a beginner and an expert is the amount of crashes under his belt!
-And for my next Aerobatic Manuever,... The Ground Loop
**Proud member of the newly-formed Monkey Whuppin' Squad (MWS)**
Old 05-08-2007, 03:43 AM   #6
Testosterone

How about this website, are they any good -

http://www.bladecx2.com/

Where do I get the mods so the blades won't smash together? I'm looking to get better performance outside. Also, do the blade grips work good?

By the way, I fixed the problems that I was having with the gyro. It flys great now. Thanks for all the help
Old 05-08-2007, 04:00 AM   #7
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

Location: Just North of Houston.Heard of Dayton? I didn't think so...
Send a message via Yahoo to xuzme720
Friends: (8)

I have come across that site before but I haven't ordered from them yet. wish I could be of more help. but very glad to hear your gyro troubles are over.

ps that extreme core set looks real nice! all the important bits in one sleek package.

Just call me X! (or Gary works, too.)
Another signature landing! Somebody help me find all the pieces...

Old 05-08-2007, 04:11 AM   #8
constantCrash
prefectionist

Send a message via AIM to constantCrash
Friends: (3)

I'll be the berror of bad new about the Bladecx2.com site just sells Vortex and Lamma parts for a markup. it's not worth your time. stick to E-flight suff or search around these forums for good upgrades for cheap. If your like me you'll grow out of your CX pritty quick so Don't drop to much money in right away.

I wanna be a pirate. Arrrrr

AMA - 885997
Old 05-08-2007, 04:47 AM   #9
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

Location: Just North of Houston.Heard of Dayton? I didn't think so...
Send a message via Yahoo to xuzme720
Friends: (8)

good to know, constant! glad to know that before I ordered anything from them.

Just call me X! (or Gary works, too.)
Another signature landing! Somebody help me find all the pieces...

Old 05-08-2007, 05:30 AM   #10
brnyrbbl
Powered by Visa

I've heard the same about them. Matter of fact someone said the "longer shaft" they advertise measured to be the same as the stock one. Hmmm.. someone got the shaft did't they?? Anyway, I read the blade grips just add weight and weren't any improvement whatsoever. You can always move the servo linkages out one hole lon the arms ike many do, however be prepared for blade clash and down comes your heli! If I were you, I'd only upgrade the inner shaft for now. If you break a hub pin, replace the hub with aluminum. If you find yourself lucky enough to crash tail first like I do (those airplane/ heli eating trees) and break the tail section, then upgrade to the boom kit. Good Luck!

~Aaron~
-The difference between a beginner and an expert is the amount of crashes under his belt!
Old 05-08-2007, 05:42 AM   #11
Testosterone

Originally Posted by constantCrash View Post
I'll be the berror of bad new about the Bladecx2.com site just sells Vortex and Lamma parts for a markup. it's not worth your time. stick to E-flight suff or search around these forums for good upgrades for cheap. If your like me you'll grow out of your CX pritty quick so Don't drop to much money in right away.
So they are just selling Vortex and Lamma parts? How is this possible and do you have evidence of this? The videos that they have showing how fast their CX2 is going forward is pretty amazing (compared to stock). So obviously they did something besides installing parts that don't fit.??
Old 05-08-2007, 05:46 AM   #12
Testosterone

What mod will give me faster forward flight? Also, what will keep the blades from clashing when flying outdoors. I love flying mine outdoors, it's a blast!!

Does Eflight sell every upgrade I need for this? I'm going to the hobby shop tommorrow, can someone please list ALL possible upgrades so I can be ready to choose which ones I want. My lhs is getting a big Eflight shipment in tomorrow so I'd like to have a list. It's way too confusing to sort out all these mods and not get them confused.

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-08-2007, 06:32 AM   #13
brnyrbbl
Powered by Visa

Available E-Flite CX2 mods:
Aluminum Swashplate
Aluminum Lower Rotor Head
Aluminum Upper Rotor Head
Aluminum Upper Bearing Holder with bearing
Aluminum Inner Shaft

That's it for E-Flite.. They are coming out with a boom kit for the CX2 but it's not made by E-flite but rather distributed by Horizon Hobby. IMO, the boomtownhobbies tail boom is just as good, maybe even better. I know their skids are definitely better than the stock brittle ones.

For faster flight you can move the arms out one hole on the servo. As far as aftermarket shafts/ upgrades, it seems to be hit and miss.

~Aaron~
Old 05-08-2007, 08:37 AM   #14
Testosterone

Thanks for that list!

I read somewhere about a mod that reduces the upper and lower blades hitting each other while flying outside.

Do you have a link for it or know anything about this?
Old 05-08-2007, 03:01 PM   #15
constantCrash
prefectionist

Send a message via AIM to constantCrash
Friends: (3)
Default because they do fit

Vortex, Lamma, BCX main drive parts are all interchangable* somewhat. I know because I had the whole drive system of a Vortex on my BCX2. The theory (i've disproven it) is that since the vortex shafts are slightly longer than the BCX shafts you'll get less blade strikes. In reality it dosn't much matter. I've since upgraded to the BCX aluminum inner shaft, But i'm still using vortex lower hub and blade grips.

I've even put instructions on this very forum:http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14419

Oh, and as for speed, it can be increased by moving the linkage out 1 or 2 holes. I can reach about 15MPH with mine in a gym. (usualy results in a crash though)

Originally Posted by Testosterone View Post
So they are just selling Vortex and Lamma parts? How is this possible and do you have evidence of this? The videos that they have showing how fast their CX2 is going forward is pretty amazing (compared to stock). So obviously they did something besides installing parts that don't fit.??

I wanna be a pirate. Arrrrr

AMA - 885997
Old 05-08-2007, 07:34 PM   #16
Testosterone

Originally Posted by constantCrash View Post
Vortex, Lamma, BCX main drive parts are all interchangable* somewhat. I know because I had the whole drive system of a Vortex on my BCX2. The theory (i've disproven it) is that since the vortex shafts are slightly longer than the BCX shafts you'll get less blade strikes. In reality it dosn't much matter. I've since upgraded to the BCX aluminum inner shaft, But i'm still using vortex lower hub and blade grips.

I've even put instructions on this very forum:http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14419

Oh, and as for speed, it can be increased by moving the linkage out 1 or 2 holes. I can reach about 15MPH with mine in a gym. (usualy results in a crash though)
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I didn't believe you.:o So, I can't upgrade to all of the Eflight aluminum parts if I do the bending blades mod?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:01 PM   #17
brnyrbbl