Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-10-2007, 10:19 PM   #1
Jon The Buddha
E-Flight Virgin

Friends: (0)
Default Converting PZ Spit to 72 MHz: UPDATE 2.4 GHz

I am having some serious 'jerking' issues with my new PZ Spit, and I am suspecting possible CB interference due to the proximity of a Major Interstate. I want to convert to 72 MHZ and see if it helps.

I have a Helimax Axe CP Heli on 72, and was wondering if I can just put it's crystal in the PZ receiver and use the Helimax TX? Surely it can't be that easy. I am guessing that there is probably a bandpass limit on the receivers, but I don't know. Will this work, or am I going to have to get a new RX?

Thanks Gang!
Old 06-10-2007, 10:31 PM   #2
Will Hicks
Dealer

You'll need another RX as well.

Will Hicks
Amateur Radio WI1L
AMA6012
http://www.willshobbies.com
Old 06-11-2007, 12:20 AM   #3
Jon The Buddha
E-Flight Virgin

Thanks Will, I figured as much.

Anyone do this? I have a Futaba 4EX I only use to fly my Electristar. It has a four model memory, so I guess I could pick up a Futaba micro receiver with the appropriate crystal for my channel.

The servos in the Spit are 3-wire, so they should be ok, right? Also, would changing the RX require me to need another ESC?
Old 06-11-2007, 01:01 AM   #4
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

View gfdengine204's Gallery6
Club: RC Dusters, AMA 3875, Sandwich, IL
Send a message via AIM to gfdengine204
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (53)

Aw heck, just go out and get a Spektrum DX7. That what I have in my Electristar (as well as my EasyStar and Blade CX2) and it works flawlessly.

- Kev
AMA 873921
RC Dusters Flying Club, AMA 3875, Sandwich, IL

Question with Boldness. Hold to the Truth. Speak without fear.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:28 AM   #5
Jon The Buddha
E-Flight Virgin

That's definately on my list of future purchases!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:22 AM   #6
INSANEflyer

Some cheap, good quality receivers and crystals available at my site! www.insanehobbies.com
Old 06-11-2007, 03:56 AM   #7
Jon The Buddha
E-Flight Virgin

Originally Posted by INSANEflyer View Post
Some cheap, good quality receivers and crystals available at my site! www.insanehobbies.com
Haha, I was just there looking before I checked on this thread! Maybe a 'first customer discount' ?!?!?!

BTW, good luck on your new site!
Old 06-11-2007, 05:00 AM   #8
Jon The Buddha
E-Flight Virgin

Just dawned on me that the RX and ESC in the Spit is one unit. I guess I'll need a new ESC after all!
Old 06-11-2007, 05:51 AM   #9
INSANEflyer

How much of a discount were you lookin for? dunno if i can
Old 06-16-2007, 02:11 AM   #10
Jon The Buddha
E-Flight Virgin

Well, decided I'm going to pick up the Futabe FASST radio. So instead of going to 72 MHz, I'm going all the way to 2.4 GHz.

My new question...Aside from the new ESC and Rx, will I also need a BEC for the PZ Spitfire? Besides being pretty new to electric flight, this will also be my first attempt at replacing the stock electronics in a plane. I want to make sure I get everything I need. Not that I mind making repeated trips to the LHS...
Old 06-16-2007, 07:37 AM   #11
Phoenex

Friends: (1)

I am interested in your old Parkzone electronics. I sent you a personal message.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:41 PM   #12
rick brayford

Hi
I want to do the same to my PZ Fokker wolf on 39 mhz.
I have also vontemplated fitting an E-Flite park 480 outrunner but mounting the engine looks like drama eeith the plastic internal airframe.
Has anyone done this?
Skydive
Old 06-19-2007, 07:35 AM   #13
hillbille

View hillbille's Gallery29
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (8)

Just finished doing the conversion to a PZ FW-190. I didn't use a E-Flight 480 though - I used a TP 2409-18T. Easy to add any motor to PZ airframes. Just use plate plywood (in my case 1/8" thick Midwest) cut to about 2" X 2" and then position it so that the old motor/gearbox holes are covered (drill these for fit as you will attach this to that plastic firewall in place of the motor/gearbox) - mark the CENTER position you want the prop shaft to follow (this can be done most easily by mounting the ply first then CAing a small STRAIGHT balsa stick to the ply to act as a prop shaft while fitting the cowl - if and when it is CENTERED - mark this and replace the balsa with a 3/8"X3/8" hardwood "STICK and voila - brushless stick mount!

My 2100Mah 3s lipo fit into the upper battery tray perfectly - but I did have to grind a bit on that plastic firewall to get the battery forward enough to balance the plane - with the aid of five pennies hot glued into the bottom of the cowl. I cut the stick mount so that the outrunner fits very close to the cowl - looks great (to me anyway!).

It isn't the mistake that causes the crash - it's the time it takes to realize that it WAS a mistake!!
AMA884978
Old 06-19-2007, 07:58 AM   #14
hillbille

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Almost forgot - I also have the Futaba FASST system and use a 20A ESC (Turborix I think) with the 2409-18T - pulls 13.8 amps WOT using a GWS 1060 prop. Wants to jump out of my hand testing the set up!!

Since the Spit and FW-190 both only have airlerons, elevator and ESC a BEC should not be required. Most all ESC's can handle 3 servos with 11.1v lipos - and 4 servos with 7.4v lipos - thats 2 actual servos and a ESC - or 3 actual servos and a ESC respectfully.

If you are adding ANYTHING else (rudder, flaps. retracts, etc.etc.)- get a BEC just to be on the safe side!! Most of all - HAVE FUN!!!

It isn't the mistake that causes the crash - it's the time it takes to realize that it WAS a mistake!!
AMA884978
Old 06-21-2007, 02:29 PM   #15
rick brayford

Default PZ Fokker wolf upgrade.

Originally Posted by hilbilly View Post
Just finished doing the conversion to a PZ FW-190. I didn't use a E-Flight 480 though - I used a TP 2409-18T. Easy to add any motor to PZ airframes. Just use plate plywood (in my case 1/8" thick Midwest) cut to about 2" X 2" and then position it so that the old motor/gearbox holes are covered (drill these for fit as you will attach this to that plastic firewall in place of the motor/gearbox) - mark the CENTER position you want the prop shaft to follow (this can be done most easily by mounting the ply first then CAing a small STRAIGHT balsa stick to the ply to act as a prop shaft while fitting the cowl - if and when it is CENTERED - mark this and replace the balsa with a 3/8"X3/8" hardwood "STICK and voila - brushless stick mount!

My 2100Mah 3s lipo fit into the upper battery tray perfectly - but I did have to grind a bit on that plastic firewall to get the battery forward enough to balance the plane - with the aid of five pennies hot glued into the bottom of the cowl. I cut the stick mount so that the outrunner fits very close to the cowl - looks great (to me anyway!).

Hillbilly

Many thanks for info.This has saved me much trial and error.Did you use the standard supplied servos?
How many watts does your TP2409 turn out?
Have you maidened her as yet?
skydive
Old 06-21-2007, 04:44 PM   #16
hillbille

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

The conversion was total - as I wanted to use my own radio equipment. I used a Futaba Skysport 6 radio, CC Berg Microstamp 4 receiver, and Tower Pro 9g servos.

The 2409-18T is putting out 178 watts in my setup I believe - could be wrong on that though as I was primarily interested in looking at the amperage when I tested it!

Maidened this morning!! Flies very nicely! Has good power! I recommend your reading the motor evaluations at the Heads-Up RC site on ebay. What Jeff writes about his motors is all true and accurate. These really helped me to decide on power for my birds. The conversion of PZ planes is fairly easy and they still fly the same as before - just more lively!!

Good luck!

Bill

AMA884978
Old 06-21-2007, 04:49 PM   #17
hillbille

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

I always forget to write something!!

Flying weight is 26oz. This is an older bird - my next one will be lighter!!

Bill

AMA884978
Old 06-21-2007, 04:52 PM   #18
hillbille

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

P.S. Robbed the 2.4 Ghz FASST system to put into the S E 5a.!!

AMA884978
Old 07-17-2007, 01:09 PM   #19
rick brayford

Almost forgot - I also have the Futaba FASST system and use a 20A ESC (Turborix I think) with the 2409-18T - pulls 13.8 amps WOT using a GWS 1060 prop. Wants to jump out of my hand testing the set up!!

Since the Spit and FW-190 both only have airlerons, elevator and ESC a BEC should not be required. Most all ESC's can handle 3 servos with 11.1v lipos - and 4 servos with 7.4v lipos - thats 2 actual servos and a ESC - or 3 actual servos and a ESC respectfully.

If you are adding ANYTHING else (rudder, flaps. retracts, etc.etc.)- get a BEC just to be on the safe side!! Most of all - HAVE FUN!!!

Many thanks

I am just about ready with shopping list to convert my FW-190.
PZ 480 outrunner (250 watts), new ESC, RX and servos, 22ooma lipo.
That should it. shouldn't it?

skydive
Old 07-20-2007, 03:48 PM   #20
rick brayford

Originally Posted by rick brayford View Post
Many thanks

I am just about ready with shopping list to convert my FW-190.
PZ 480 outrunner (250 watts), new ESC, RX and servos, 22ooma lipo.
That should it. shouldn't it?

skydive

Bill
re PZ FW-190 upgrade-
Have completed and fitted stick mount per your ideas. looks great.
I have fitted a Park 480 outrunner (250 watts max)on a Dualsky 40amp ESC, E-flite 8g servos and Hitech 4ch micro reciever (supposed 1000m range ?). Having troulbe getting power to motor so have some trouble shooting to do before maiden. Looks like i will have to add wieght to nose.

skydive
Old 07-20-2007, 04:24 PM   #21
hillbille

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Rick - sounds like you have everything well in hand - the 480 might be a bit much but I would rather have too much than not enough! Let us know how the re-maiden goes!!

Hillbille

AMA884978
Old 07-27-2007, 01:36 PM   #22
rick brayford

Default PZ Fokker wolf upgrade

Rick - sounds like you have everything well in hand - the 480 might be a bit much but I would rather have too much than not enough! Let us know how the re-maiden goes!!

Hillbille

Hillbillie
Have just completed the PZ Fokker wolf upgrade. Ended up with a HiTech micro receiver and eflite mini servos on 36mh.
I am hoping for a maiden on Sunday but wether not looking good (which is unusual for perth western australia).
I will be trialing 22ooma lipos 3s. Do you think this is a good match for the 480 outrunner?

skydive
Old 07-27-2007, 02:59 PM   #23
Prof100

Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by INSANEflyer View Post

Don't you first have to have a working website to sell receivers?
Old 07-29-2007, 02:07 PM   #24
rick brayford

Default PZ Fokker Wolf-190 upgrade

Hillbille
Hillbille
maidened the Fokker wolf today. Hand launch- c og G, trim all pretty much spot on (gusty conditions). Plenty of power, I think as much as the airframe can handle, getting 8 mins on full power with 3s 2200ma. Quite radical with the better servos. Only problem is on landings I was bending aluminium stick mount. Prop too stiff (10 x 7 APC). Probably need a folder. I have modified the supplied original 10 x 8 flexible prop. Hope this solves the landings.
It has created some interest at the club due to its scale looke and straffing low passes.

skydive
Old 07-29-2007, 06:06 PM   #25
hillbille

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Great job!! APC props are very unforgiving on any surface where they can strike anything. You might try the GWS HD props - not quite as good on thrust but more flexible for landings.

Hillbille

AMA884978

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers