Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-16-2015, 10:46 PM   #1
Crashalott
Super Contributor

View Crashalott's Gallery27
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (8)
Default What Video Editor do you use?

I have been trying to find a free video editor and i thought perhaps some
of you might have some good ones that you use.
Please post what you are using here.
Thanks
Crash

Crashalott
Old 06-16-2015, 11:13 PM   #2
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

AV Contest  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 

There's Windows Movie Maker (if you're running Windows.)

Old 06-16-2015, 11:14 PM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Raw video from digital cams etc will not load to Windows Movie Maker (free).

So I use Freemake Video Converter to convert from avi to wmv.

www.freemake.com

Free make also can join together movie slices that many video cameras do now ...

The Windows Movie Maker is my choice.

I agree that WMM is not best - but its simple and does a reasonable job.

Download from Windows Essentials.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 06-16-2015, 11:38 PM   #4
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

AV Contest  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 

I have little to no experience outside of Premiere. Maybe this will be of help, though:

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/sof...wnload-1136264

Old 06-17-2015, 12:15 AM   #5
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Raw video from digital cams etc will not load to Windows Movie Maker (free).

So I use Freemake Video Converter to convert from avi to wmv.

www.freemake.com

Free make also can join together movie slices that many video cameras do now ...

The Windows Movie Maker is my choice.

I agree that WMM is not best - but its simple and does a reasonable job.

Download from Windows Essentials.

Nigel
The Windows web site provides a free Codec pack that converts...it's free for all registered Windows users with Win 7 or newer........as an up-grade.
I also have the K-Lite codec pack that is a little more flexible...it's free and works seamless with Windows Movie Maker.......another option, like you discussed, for Windows 7 or newer, is ConverterLite, it will convert any digital vid format out there to your needs, but a Codec Pack will be required.

AMA 928214
Old 06-17-2015, 01:43 AM   #6
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
There's Windows Movie Maker (if you're running Windows.)
Same here. Nothing fancy, you won't be able to make any James Cameron whiz bang videos with it, but it's simple, straightforward and of course free.

Give a man a plane and he'll fly for a day.
Teach a man to
build a plane and he'll fly for a lifetime.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:49 AM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (21)
Default Not Free, But

Originally Posted by Crashalott View Post
I have been trying to find a free video editor and i thought perhaps some
of you might have some good ones that you use.
Please post what you are using here.
Thanks
Crash
Here is what I use. Quite powerful, can do just about anything needed.

http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/t...oad_en_US.html

At $79.00 for a download.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 06-17-2015, 09:28 PM   #8
quorneng
Super Contributor

Club: A lone flyer!
Awards Showcase

Friends: (7)

I use NCH VideoPad
It is free (home edition) and can handle nearly all the video formats both to load and save.
Not quite a simple to use as Windows MovieMaker but it has rather more features.
I use it simply because it handles the MOV format generated by my video camera.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:48 PM   #9
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (10)

I also use Cyberlink Powerdirector. it's not the cheapest but it gets very good reviews, it's got plenty of useful features and it's intuitive to use. It's great for stabilizing shaky video and doing all sorts of special effects and image enhancement.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:24 PM   #10
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions for a free video editor to use for editing my video's. I will give them a try and see if i can learn to use them.
I think i am going to need a good tutorial on the windows movie maker though.
So far i haven't figured much of it out.Ha
Crash

Crashalott
Old 06-18-2015, 12:02 AM   #11
fishycomics

Friends: (0)

Crash.

to learn something will take time? I shall name a few for you.

1.Gopro studio. its free at gopro.com, just put any email address in

2. Blender it is a very interesting one.

3. windows Live or windows moviemaker.

If you are going to spend some money.

A. magix 2015 Pro

B. cyberlik Powerdirector 13 Ultra. Ultimate contains extras that are worth it if asked.

If you check out a forum called windosmoviemakers.net Popajphn.org look for news letter of popajohn.org

http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Tutorials/

good luck in your choices

out flying here learning.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:27 AM   #12
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Got the Movie Maker and have been trying to figure out how to cut sections out of my
Video. Not quite understanding how to do it.
Crash

Crashalott
Old 06-21-2015, 02:33 PM   #13
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Got the Movie Maker and have been trying to figure out how to cut sections out of my
Crash
Depends on what windows version as the MM will install version adapted to the windows.

OK ... to cut ... you have to watch to the start of the part to remove. PAUSE. Click on EDIT which is under the VIDEO tab. You will then see SPLIT .... SET START POINT ..... SET END POINT .... ignore the TRIM TOOL ...
So you PAUSE ... EDIT ... SPLIT. That then dissects the video at that point. Now carry on watching till you get the point where you want to KEEP video .... CLICK SPLIT again ... you will now havev the unwanted portion separated .... you RIGHT click anywhere in that portion and select REMOVE .... it's gone. (you can UNDO by clicking the LEFT arrow at top left).

The splits can be as short as you like ... or as long ...

I usually load up the video ..... then save the project .... as I make each change ......... I save the project again .......... that way I can go back anytime if I close down MM and no need to redo work. If you keep the first 'Project' save as a different name - then you have that as a raw loads quick version.

Hope that helps ..

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 06-21-2015, 04:48 PM   #14
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Crash
With Windows Movie Maker, at least the newer versions, I have found that the easiest way to build a vid is to load the SD card vid into a separate vid file where you keep your movies.

Then transferring that vid as a new project into WMM........it will load a frame by frame copy onto the project board.

Once you have given the file a name and worked through the editing set-up features you want, just drag and drop the frames you want, in any order of preference, onto the bottom vid frame templates (below the vid package shown in the project board)............After that, it will ask you if you have completed and want to save. Determine where you want to save and push the button.........it takes a few minutes, depending on the size of the file.........once saved into your folder, shrink the WMM program and play back your vid........if you are not satisfied, go back to WMM and rebuild the project......once saved WMM will allow you to modify the project as many times as you like.

The coolest features I have found with WMM is the ability to add opening and closing credits as well as sound tracks......just make sure you select a sound track with a play back time that fits your vid frame selections, otherwise, the sound track time will override the vid frame lengths and only replay the vid at the time length of the sound track.

Also, set-up your credit text frames prior to starting the vid frame drag and drop....otherwise, WMM will default the credit text windows to where it thinks they belong........made that mistake a few times and needed to go back and edit the arrangement.

Maybe mclarkson will chime in again, he's the master of awesome vid editing with WMM..........!

AMA 928214
Old 06-21-2015, 05:41 PM   #15
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I agree to the copy vids to a temp folder on PC's drive .. otherwise loading is slowed.

Just reading P's post and I am now confused what WMM P is using .. I have WMM on Win XP, Win 7, Win 8 and 8.1 ........... where are you dragging frames to ? There is no area at bottom to drag frames to ... there are only two windows : Viewing window and video frames window to right.
Second that WMM will not load raw vids before conversion from Keycams, MD80 etc.
You cannot load direct as a project - you can only start a new project and then save to project ....

Unless a new version WMM has come out since I installed my latest WMM last week ?

Nigel

Old 06-21-2015, 05:49 PM   #16
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Here's the Tutorial page on WMM :

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...-video-how-faq

for trimming / removing parts you don't want.

Nigel

Old 06-21-2015, 06:03 PM   #17
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Nigel.......

I have three versions of WMM.........run it of XP Pro, Win7 Pro and now on Win10.

Every version I have loads the file onto a project window, frame by frame (each frame may be a different time lapse). At the bottom of the screen, there is a clip template that flows along the frames you drag & drop into each cell....... It also provides a play back window so you can review each set of clips as individual or combined anytime during the construction.........
I have put together over 100 vid's using this method with WMM..........I have no clue how you have the program set-up in your system, but there are various ways to view the project in the initial set-up files.......you may need to dive a little deeper into that.

I stated previously in another thread that you may need to apply various Codec applications to many raw mini cam vid's, since WMM will only accept it's own protocol........

I also stated that the "easiest" method to start a WMM vid is to start a "new project"..........that is not the only method one can use, but it is the simplest. Once you have saved the work as a "project" it can be modified anytime.......as long as you save each work as new project.

Sorry you're are having trouble with your version of WMM......each of mine were free up-grade downloads off the Windows official web-site and are available (free) to any windows "registered" user.........

Note:

If I can figure out a way to take a snap shot of the WMM project set-up window, I'll post it here........so far I'm not having much luck since I have to load the snap shot on a third party site and transfer that pic to this web-site, which has always been a problem here at WattFlyer.....lol

AMA 928214
Old 06-21-2015, 07:03 PM   #18
fishycomics

Friends: (0)

wmm 2.0
wmm2.8
win live bye

out flying here learning.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:43 PM   #19
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Well my WMM is part of Windows Essential 2012 and version 12 ... I went on MS site to try and find another version .... they tell me I have latest ...

Will look again ...

I've been using WMM for years and never seen an extra pane to work in ... only the preview left and frames view to right.

I have no trouble or problem as you suggest ... I have WMM as downloaded from MS themselves - not from a third party site.

Nigel

Old 06-21-2015, 07:55 PM   #20
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

OK ... more delving into this .............

Windows Live Essentials which MS gives to load WMM ... gives you Windows Live Movie Maker ... which is what my XP and 7 machines had ... and is apparently still MS's offering in the Essentials pack ...

Now having checked "third party" sites ... the WMM there is 2.6 from the Vista days upgraded to Win 7. Some sites quote WMM 2.8 ... but checking reviews say that is a common myth and that 2.8 is only 2.6 with service pack updates.

So now I am sorting out to download and install WMM 2.6.. (2.8) as some will insist on calling it ...

BUT what is interesting - is that ALL sites I checked ... Softonic, CNET etc. etc. al the GOOD sites say WMM 2.6 (2.8) is Vista / Win 7 only .............. mmmmmmm

So apology but please note the online sites all report WMM 12 as current version for Win 8 .. etc. via Essentials. Which is only the Live MM version in fact.

Nigel

Old 06-21-2015, 08:06 PM   #21
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

OK time line WMM version installed ... and funny enough it leaves Live version still installed ... I expected it to ask for it to be uninstalled ...

I have to admit that the simple Live version does all needed and Menu system is easy ... so it will be interesting to see if 2.6 is really worth it.

OH and 2.6 installs and then says its Win 8 MM !!

Nigel

Old 06-21-2015, 08:09 PM   #22
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Try setting up the WMM to show the "storybook" application.........that will provide the drop down application and lower window drag & drop cells.

I'm using the Windows 7 Pro, 2.6 WMM version at the moment.......but every WMM version I have is the same......may just be the way you have your version set-up for projects.

If I could convert the WMM snapshot to a PDF, I'd paste it here.......but Adobe wants $$$ to provide the PDF converter.....and I don't use that application very often.......I Have other tools that work, but they will not convert to a format this web-site will accept......

Sorry......but I'm not blowing smoke up your ars.........it's real, just as explained previously and works fine, just find the proper set-up........there's a learning curve to everything, no one has all the answers, regardless of one's exposure or level of aptitude or experience..........even the wise and world traveled "solentlife" can appreciate adding to ones technical arsenal...........

AMA 928214
Old 06-21-2015, 08:32 PM   #23
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Try setting up the WMM to show the "storybook" application.........that will provide the drop down application and lower window drag & drop cells.

I'm using the Windows 7 Pro, 2.6 WMM version at the moment.......but every WMM version I have is the same......may just be the way you have your version set-up for projects.
P .. I have already accepted that I have Live version as MS gives. Now installed 2.6 via Softonic site.

No need for rest of the post about set-up etc.

If I could convert the WMM snapshot to a PDF, I'd paste it here.......but Adobe wants $$$ to provide the PDF converter.....and I don't use that application very often.......I Have other tools that work, but they will not convert to a format this web-site will accept......
NovaPDF ... DOPDF .... I stopped paying Adobe for Writer years ago .. and changed to the Freeware writers ...

All the PDF's I create with Nova and DoPDF are all compatible with forums and Adobe etc. So why problem ?

Sorry......but I'm not blowing smoke up your ars.........it's real, just as explained previously and works fine, just find the proper set-up........there's a learning curve to everything, no one has all the answers, regardless of one's exposure or level of aptitude or experience..........even the wise and world traveled "solentlife" can appreciate adding to ones technical arsenal...........
Do you not read my previous ? That I found the difference ... and can blame MS for their Essentials Package ....

Once 2.6 loaded - it triggered a memory ........... and I checked by starting up my old Windows Millenium machine !! 2.6 is same as the old WMM they shipped WITH Me ...

I used that a lot ... then later XP when you went to MS site to download WMM (it was no longer loaded with Win any more) ... you got Live Version.

I stupidly assumed that WMM was replaced by WLMM because WMM was always previously automatically installed with Windows ... WLMM comes along and no longer do you get it auto loaded ... MS ... I checked again and could not find WMM 2.6 on MS site at all ... ONLY Live Version.

So my mistake for not searching harder years ago when Win 7 came along ...

Nigel

Nigel

Old 06-21-2015, 08:57 PM   #24
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

That's awesome Nigel.....now were on the same page.........

Just a bit of insight, the version of WMM I use on WinXP, Win7 and Win10 are not "live versions"..........since the WMM 2.6 was available for hard drive storage prior to the Win8 2.0 release.........Since Windows recognized that my PC's have the older versions "hard drive installed"....I was never prompted to install a "live version".........that said, with Win10, damn near every "add-on" application will be related to a web "cloud" use.....which I will probably end up using a different OS.........but until then, Windows is my only choice.

Keeping up with all of this crap wears on one's desire to be creative........soon will come the day, fossils like us, will either drop off, hire or recruit a relative, or just dabble with our old technology until it no longer functions..........regardless, the learning curve aspect, for me, still stimulates what few gray matter cells I retaining and can still access..........and you're are welcome for acknowledging that what I have provided, shined a little light on your quest to "get-up" to speed in this arena........

AMA 928214
Old 06-21-2015, 09:31 PM   #25
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Well ... sorry to say this .... but 2.6 is same as the old Me version and Live is far easier and quicker to use.

I just did my last video with both ... Edge 540 today ... I accept that I had to convert from avi to wmv for Live .... so that adds time.

BUT time to complete was same ... INCLUDING conversion for Live.

I will leave 2.6 installed ............ but Live actually gets my vote after comparing them ... I agree I lose a few bits and bobs ... but Live combines the time-line function INTO the frame display so no need to drag and drop ... START / SPLIT / END functions are directly accessed ....

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies