Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-29-2014, 12:45 AM   #1
Anonnn

Friends: (0)
Default Spektrum DSMX breaks after every crash

I've taken my new Super Cub S up twice and seeing as it's my first RC, crashed it twice. Both times, the motor gets stuck at full throttle and I've been unable to turn it off without disconnecting the battery. Connecting the battery again only starts the motor again. I think the problem is that I am not pulling back the throttle before the crash and have subsequently blown the receiver.

In the meantime (let's be real, I'm going to crash again) is there a cheaper alternate RX/ESC for my Super Cub S or do I need to sink another ~$60 in a Spektrum SPMA3170 DSMX RX/ESC board?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:53 AM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (21)

Originally Posted by Anonnn View Post
I've taken my new Super Cub S up twice and seeing as it's my first RC, crashed it twice. Both times, the motor gets stuck at full throttle and I've been unable to turn it off without disconnecting the battery. Connecting the battery again only starts the motor again. I think the problem is that I am not pulling back the throttle before the crash and have subsequently blown the receiver.

In the meantime (let's be real, I'm going to crash again) is there a cheaper alternate RX/ESC for my Super Cub S or do I need to sink another ~$60 in a Spektrum SPMA3170 DSMX RX/ESC board?

Yeah

If possible, find a local RC club that offers instructor training. Most RC clubs are out to gain new members now days, and in general they are very helpful to "newbies".

If you're in the USA, the AMA has a website for finding local clubs by city, zip code and so on.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 12-29-2014, 01:53 AM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,229 Times in 2,132 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (322)

Originally Posted by Anonnn View Post

Hi I hate those Stupid 3 in 1, 4 in 1 Boards they are a Money pit for the beginners and a PITA. and that Safe Tech is a Joke, you dont need it.

best thing to do is to buy a Full range 2.4 receiver and a Turnigy 20 amp Brushed ESC. use a 3 amp UBEC, because the brush ESC only has a 1 amp BEC built into it, you want at least 3 amps to feed the rec, esc and servos to prevent a brown out situation. I belive your plane has a Brush motor in it, if it has a brushless motor get a 20 Amp brushless ESC, brush motors have 2 wires going to them, a brushless motor have 3 wires going to them. thats how you tell the difference.

http://www.amain.com/spektrum-ar400-...Fc9lfgoddkwAmA

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...USHED_ESC.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...highlight=ubec

you will need to remove the red wire from the esc plug where it plugs into the receiver and tape it up, dont cut it, so you can resuse the ESC in something else later.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-29-2014, 02:00 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,229 Times in 2,132 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (322)

also, get a RC Simulator to learn to Flying RC with, flying RC Planes is Harder than flying a Real Airplane, there is more things going on, like Depth perception, speed perception, orentation of plane and pilot, wind, always keep the plane in front of you, dont let it get behind you, and dont let it get to far away from you, or you will lose orientation of the planes direction. keep the plane out of the Sun.

I have flown a Cessna 182 before, and that was Easy, Real Easy, flying RC Planes is much harder, but dont give up, you will have 3 to 4 planes under your belt before you get good at Flying RC Planes.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-29-2014, 02:51 AM   #5
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

Call Horizon Hobby's support line. They have been known to help new people even when all logic would say it was not there fault.

It is your cheapest thing to do because it is a free call 877-504-0233

Something that all modelers need to do is remember to snap the throttle closed before we crash. In nitro / gas planes, it may save you from getting a bunch of sand or dirt down the intake and into the rotating parts of the engines, for any electric, it will save you from burning out the motor, or the speed control or both. I tell new flyers, that as soon as you think all hope is lost shut down the motor. Sometimes it might soften the landing.

Good luck, keep trying,

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
http://www.pugetsoundsilentflyers.org/
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:06 AM   #6
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

Troubleshooting time. First, since you've asked being new already, are you aware of the rc rule to always turn the tx on first, and turn it off last? Meaning the plane should never be powered on unless the tx is already on. I ask because some rx's have failsafe modes where they put the servo position signals to a certain point if tx signal is lost, and in some rx's, this is set by the user by putting the sticks and such in the position he wants when binding.

The motor turning I thought is a good sign, as on my old CX2 helicopter which also had an esc/rx combo unit, it was the esc that was very fragile and failed easiest, from what I've read anyway. So did you happen to notice if the other controls work when the plane is plugged in and the motor runs? If you try again, just remove the prop first for safety.

What's strange is I would think the esc would need a valid idle signal from the tx before arming, but could be something different about that all in one unit.

Think if you did something with the electronics during a repair that opened a chance for human error to intervene. Just some troubleshooting thoughts. It's all part of this addiction! Good luck with it.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:54 PM   #7
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Go through the binding process... with the throttle stick set to zero.

sounding to me like you managed to set the failsafe to full throttle.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #8
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 

People, the weakest link in the Cub package is the ESC+RX combo. It's known to fry or be DOA just by looking at it. It was originally designed for 7-cell NiMh and though they now have the RX component set for Spektrum near as can be told the original 13A MAX still is valid and the lipo takes it to 11-12A at full throttle. Newbies crashing it with the throttle on can take it out instantly as it lives on the ragged edge of disaster.
A very common symptom of a fried ESC on this unit is uncontrolled full throttle. The ESC is simply a crappy part.

The only solution to a fried one is > replace, or complete conversion.
Replace is simple but expensive.
Conversion costs about the same but is often daunting to newbies.

All other suggestions about getting help (buddy boxing being optimal), SIM use, etc. are valid, but the new ethic seems to be 'go it alone'. People don't realize how frustrating, demoralizing, and expensive it can be until they are in the middle of it.

IMO > NEVER buy HZ, or any other, proprietary parts. But, a newbie doesn't know that until too late either.

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:44 PM   #9
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Many of the proprietary parts are fine... if not pushed beyond their ratings.

I wonder why Hobby Zone hasn't upgraded the ESCs in the Super Cubs... because the change to LiPo exceeds that old ESC's ratings.
Every time someone buys the float kit and uses the prop in that kit they blow the ESC.

They've covered a lot of ESCs under warranty...

Low cost upgrade/replacement:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60p-dye-1001-18a-esc.html
Currently out of stock unfortunately... But these are very reliable at continuous 18 amps with 4 cell LiPo.
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60p-esc-programcard.html
I never use the card... Default settings have always been just fine.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:53 PM   #10
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

"IMO > NEVER buy HZ, or any other, proprietary parts."

Hmmmm......guess we should stay away from Futaba and Spektrum too....

AMA 928214
Old 12-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #11
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
"IMO > NEVER buy HZ, or any other, proprietary parts."

Hmmmm......guess we should stay away from Futaba and Spektrum too....
Come on, don't twist my words. I'm not referring to major components.
There's a bunch of RTF planes parts that are either difficult or expensive to replace. Manufacturers do this deliberately to lock users in. This is common place across many fields, not just RC, and they ALL annoy me.
I consider it ridiculous that HZ has not made the Cub with separate components. Minimally they could have made a decent ESC instead of the lame one that it comes with.

Warning...Rant - Why are there hundreds of types of batteries and chargers for cell phones when they almost all take single cell lithium? Europe has already mandated a common USB charger for cell phones. Similar for laptop cells-100's of types and size are simply not needed. This could be hugely simplified which would make the consumer life a lot easier and reduce unnecessary waste considerably.
(Yes, short antennas are nice, but they also create their own set of issues)
Why are the battery racks stuffed with 100's of 'coin cell' batteries when it would not be that hard to standardize on maybe 20-30 based on size considerations?
The list goes on....

For myself, and I don't necessarily advocate this for other people, I still use and am completely satisfied with 72MHz. Works fine for me, no problems....ever....and I am not stuck with proprietary and expensive RX for 2.4GHz. People have flocked to Orange RX just to get away from the expense of those parts. Think I'd rather have a brand name 72 than an Orange RX.
So many people have switched over that I rarely even have to think about channel conflicts. Near as I can tell personally, people have more problems with Spektrum than I do.

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #12
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (9)

1) Where did you buy the plane? If a local hobby store, take it back and ask for help. Explain the problem.

2) If you bought it online, contact Horizon Hobby even if you did not buy it from them. Tell them the problem.

Horizon Hobby has the best product and customer support in the industry. They will likely help you, may send you a new receiver/ESC and might even offer to replace the plane.

Call Horizon hobby support. The number is on the manual.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 03-22-2015, 02:52 PM   #13
GunnyJeeves

Awards Showcase

5kW 

I just noticed something no one commented on...

Super Cub S... S

This is the auto-leveling, bail out AS3x SAFE receiver. There is no drop in, plug and play option.

Better questions are:
It is SAFE... How did it crash? This shouldn't happen. If you want to land, let go of everything and kill throttle, it stays level to the ground.

Check the receiver making sure it is secure and level with the plane. (So it knows what level is...)

Check the gyro response. Turn on plane and wiggle it, you should hear servos jitter. Roll right and right aileron comes up. Nose down and elevator comes up. Yaw right and rudder goes left.

Any normal option you loose autopilot, but if you crashed with autopilot, you need to find out why.

Pilot error - Turned autopilot off. Flew straight and level into brick wall or trees

System problem - autopilot was loose in plane (this is death sentence), autopilot or receiver failed. (especially in a SAFE plane because autopilot IS the receiver.)

If it was a system failure, Horizon should replace it free of charge, including collateral damage.

Good luck!

Gunny
Old 03-22-2015, 03:20 PM   #14
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Never underestimate the ability of a beginner to force a plane to crash.

There is no such thing as crash-proof. Beginners can break anything.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:31 PM   #15
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (9)

I have to agree. I have seen people fight the stabilization systems tooth and nail.

I did a review on a plane once for RCUniverse. It had a flight recovery system. I read so many posts about how this caused crashes.

I read the manual, understood with it did and tested it. Put the plane into all kinds of odd positions then took my hands off the sticks. It worked every time IFF it had enough altitude. It could not save a plane from a bad position 10 feet off the ground in a dive at high speeds.

Now, I am not saying that is what is happening here. Just saying that pilots can defeat auto recovery systems. That is part of the reason I wrote this article:

SIX KEYS TO SUCCESS FOR NEW PILOTS
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18

Having said that, this does not sound like a pilot induced issue.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 03-23-2015, 05:47 PM   #16
GunnyJeeves

Awards Showcase

5kW 

I have had an autopilot come loose in flight before... It gets readings while bouncing around and tries to correct... looks like the pilot is getting zapped with a tazer.

I saved it by turning off the autopilot.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies

Tags
dsmx , spektrum , super cub