Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-01-2016, 04:10 PM   #1
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)
Default Trying something different again.

Haven't really built anything from foam or foam board for a few years now, last time was the two Agri-Ducks. Honestly I've for some reason lately, been on a multi motor kick. Multiplex Twin Star and Cargo, a couple of UMX B-17's so in the continuing vein I was looking for something else.

Stumbled on the FliteTest Guinea Pig, and figured why not? Dug through the spares and found I had everything except some props and an rx. No problem, I ordered such when I ordered the kit.

Kit arrived, and it's pretty nice, all laser cut and scored. No instructions, but there is a build video. I'm using it as a reference, meaning I'm not going step by step like they did, I'll start in the middle and will work two directions. Just me being me.

Anywho, some of the specs, Plane itself is 58" w/s, around 47" in length, and weighs approx. 1000 grams without the pack. So big and light.

For power I'm using a pair of Hobby Zone Alpha 480's, 1020 kv, they'll be spinning 9x5x3 props, just cause I like 3 blade props, on 3S2P3000 power.

Little overpowered at approx. 1.5:1 on thrust, but hey it's a cargo plane built to carry a payload so more is good.

Oh and payload, for now not sure, but you could easily fit a whole loaf of bread with room to spare inside the fuselage.

Lastly, me being me again, this thing screams Sea Plane to me. So maybe I'll toss the landing gear and flip the motors to the top of the wings. Add a couple of sponsons (after waterproofing) and have a sorta Grumman Goose. Always loved that plane in the show "Tales of the Gold Monkey"

Stay tuned for more more adventures and most likely mishaps (knowing me)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg gp.jpg (40.0 KB, 237 views)

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:38 PM   #2
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Awards Showcase

1kW 

Well have begun the adventure, and yep even the mishaps. First the mishaps.
Multiple burnt fingertips from hot glue. No matter how many times I do it, I still try it again, using a fingertip to smooth out the glue...

I started with the back half of the fuselage. It's designed to have a rear hatch for loading/unloading. Pretty simple set up, a servo arm releases the door and the door drops open. That's it, no way to pull the door closed after it opens unless airflow can kick it back up. Then you have to be quick enough to flip the servo to lock the door. Not for me!

I installed a retract servo to open AND CLOSE the door. I'll install a set of stops so the door closes tight against them to help keep the water out.

Oh, and in the mean time I think I came up with another twist.
The stock bird has a solid rear axle and nose gear. Not really something that works for a sea plane. I was just going to toss them when something came to me. Sea planes have retractable gear so they can land on water or a landing strip. So why not!

I already have a pretty good idea on how to make them work.

Stay tuned. More burn fingertips to come.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg gp1.jpeg (12.0 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpeg gp2.jpeg (12.2 KB, 204 views)

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:22 PM   #3
P51 fan
Bob

Friends: (0)

Wet your fingertip, then you won't burn it.

You can use a small cup of water...or if you prefer...spit.

Also Flitetest is offering supposedly water-proof foam now, it is the brown stuff. If you want a sea-plane it might be worth checking their store and seeing what kits are available in the Wp stuff, there are going to be sea-planes offered. Water proofing can be done with minwax but it is a pain and stinks badly I've heard.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FT L-16 SD Beta P001.jpg (32.1 KB, 220 views)

Interests: R/C Fixed-wing aircraft, or most anything that is modeled after something that is real and actually exists.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:05 PM   #4
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (21)

Cool. Have you seen the new Flyzone Seawind? Motion and Tower sell them. Retractable LG. Might use that idea or buy the lg from their spare parts. Vids in the reviews.

Nice project. Subscribed.

Hawk
Old 05-03-2016, 11:30 AM   #5
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Awards Showcase

1kW 

I saw the brown version when I bought mine, but it's water resistant, not water proof.
No biggie giving mine some coats of Minwax. I can spray it on outside so no problem with the smell.

As for landing gear, those ones dahawk showed are pretty neat, not a bad price.

Anywho, after a delay in progress, I had to work a double yesterday...

Woke up this morning at oh four hundred, wide awake. Paper not here yet and no one else is up, so I fired up the coffee maker and used the time to appropriate the kitchen bar counter for some work.

The wing is pretty much an Armin style, 2 halves, folds over on itself, and makes the curve on the top via some placed score marks. For a spar, it's a 3 piece affair. Pair of U channel type pieces, one on each end, and a doubled foam piece with paint stick backers in the center.

Flite test says it's fine for normal use, also add you can glue some popsicle sticks across the joints, but a little engineering background tells me a 3 piece spar doesn't have a lot of strength at the joints. Also I tend to over build as I know how I fly and crash, err land.

What I think I'll do instead is use the outside pieces, install a single piece in the center, and then lay in a wood spar across them. Have to see what the LHS has or Ace, or Lowes, when I go out this morning to get the glue sticks.

Meanwhile, paper just got here, so another cup of Joe, and work on the landing gear set up.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg gp3.jpeg (24.2 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpeg gp4.jpeg (13.3 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpeg gp5.jpeg (10.6 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpeg gp6.jpeg (11.8 KB, 162 views)

Old 05-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #6
P51 fan
Bob

Friends: (0)

but it's water resistant, not water proof.
Very true, I will just say there are people that have tested it by having it pinned underwater for days and it has held together...so I guess I should have said highly water-resistant. I see they have changed it on their store now as water-resistant not water-proof.

I've never minwaxed, I always cover my foam board planes with Dollar Tree cellophane gift wrap.

Anyway, looks good.

Interests: R/C Fixed-wing aircraft, or most anything that is modeled after something that is real and actually exists.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:05 PM   #7
riverrat
circa: 1946

Club: NRA Life Member
Friends: (30)

Subscribed!
Old 05-04-2016, 11:00 PM   #8
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Awards Showcase

1kW 

Well hopefully I won't have to test mine submerged for several days...

Anywho, rather then bore you to tears with cut this, remove that, glue this, etc. etc. etc. Lets just say if you build the kit stock you have approx. 7 units to assemble. Two parts of the fuselage, the wing, pair of nacelles, nose steering housing, main landing gear, and the tail feathers. If you follow the build video, even skipping back and forth like I did it goes together easily.

That said, I skipped the landing gear, but have all else assembled. Would have been done a lot sooner but apparently there was a run on hot glue sticks in my area. Two Dollar stores, both Lowes and Home Depot, and finally Ace before I was able to find one stinking pack of them. Wasted close to three hours running all over town.

So, like said no landing gear installed yet, still tinkering with a design and lay out for it. Other then that only other real change was a reworking of the wing spar. The stock design has a pair of U channels in foam, and a double layer of foam with a pair of paint sticks glued to them.

What I did was eliminate the paint sticks and the short legs on the U channels. In their place I installed a 1/8" x 3/4" x 58" spar in front, and a 1/4" x 3/4" x 58" spar in the rear, in place of them.

Much stronger, and as a bonus I have mount points now for the wing sponsons, and main landing gear if I choose to go that route.

While I ponder the landing gear, I'll get the rest of the electronics installed.

Biggest thing I see is the nose gear to keep the inside fuselage dry. Guess a gear door would help, but would involve some more work either with a servo to operate it or some other type of mechanical arrangement.

I'm even considering moving the main retracts out to the nacelles. Plenty of room there for them, and would give more stability on land, instead of the stock ones up against the fuselage.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg gp7.jpeg (44.7 KB, 144 views)

Old 05-07-2016, 12:01 PM   #9
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Awards Showcase

1kW 

Well after a lot of wire bending and foam hacking I think I came up with a workable set up for landing gear. Each leg will contain the sponson with a wheel built into it.
Gear will fold backwards, and the sponson will be able to rotate as it folds up into the wing/nacelle. Should be pretty slick. Now have to wait on Hobby King to deliver the retracts.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:29 PM   #10
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Awards Showcase

1kW 

Well somewhere my retracts are sitting, probably on a dock or in customs...

In the mean time I built another one, this one is the mini version.
And me being me, gotta be different. Instead of a twin prop, I went with 4 EDF's!

And it flew!
Roll out was about 50 feet before lift off. Little twitchy with the recommended throws, probably due to the fact it's a lot faster. Brought it in and dialed the throws way back and hand launched it. I had just got it trimmed out when there was silence.

Guessing the stock pack wasn't happy running double the fans it was used to. The guts were out of my late Paladin. I'll get a larger one before the next flight.

Till then she's going to get some paint while I wait on the retracts to show up for the big one.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini G pig.jpg (141.8 KB, 67 views)

Old 05-19-2016, 02:52 AM   #11
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (21)

Can't wait to see the retracts. Are thes twist and turn like a P-40?

Hawk
Old 05-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #12
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Awards Showcase

1kW 

No regular style. The mechanics of the P-40 style would have been a bugger trying to keep the float in line with the chord of the wing.

Going with standard style will allow the tire portion to seat into the bottom of the wing, and just leave the sponson part exposed, when retracted. Gotta do some looking around the stash pile. I have a couple pairs of left over fuel tanks from a couple of different planes. Similar to what I used on my Twin Star for sponsons.

I'll cut out an area on the inside of the tank for the wheel to tuck into, and a hole through the top for the strut to fit. Looking at it from the outside all you'll see is the bottom of the tire below the tank/sponson.

Whoa! just thought of something. I have a friend who does 3D plastic. I may give him a holler and see what it would take to do up a pair of tanks, with the cut outs for the wheels already in place.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies