Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-15-2014, 05:36 AM   #1
rtfm

Friends: (1)
Default Acro Magnum Reloaded

Hi,
Despite the Magnum Reloaded having become a cult plane in Europe (mainly in Germany), and the fact that it has spawned the "Acro" version, produced in great numbers by a number of manufacturers over there, a Google search will turn up only the barest of references in non-European RC forums.

I hope to change this.

The plane is amazingly easy to build, and almost ANYONE can fly it. It is, I think, the best all round (meaning: slow flyer, circuit flyer, and right up to 3D flyer) aircraft currently available. Best of all, it costs very little, and has an amazingly rich forum presence (you've got to use the German forums, and ask Google to translate for you).

I have recently received my Acro Magnum from the US, ex Germany. And despite having travelled more than half way round the world to get here, it STILL only cost me under $50

My plan is to document my build here, with plenty of pictures. Keep in mind, however, that I can't fly. I'm a complete newbie. So when you see me maiden it, it'll be as a complete novice, with only some simulator time.

Here are some photos of the Acro Magnum to enjoy in the meantime.

Regards,
Duncan
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=a...e%3B762%3B1024
Old 10-15-2014, 05:54 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Hi Duncan does the pretty blond come with the Plane, I need to get my youngest son married off and out of the house but i will keep the Plane for myself LOL

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 10-15-2014, 05:57 AM   #3
rtfm

Ha ha. Nice one. But I was hoping to keep her for myself...

Duncan
Old 10-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #4
riverrat
circa: 1946

Club: NRA Life Member
Friends: (26)

Duncan

Subscribed.
Looking forward to your endeavor.
Good luck!

Regards
Jimmy
Old 10-15-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

Both models look very good.

What is the construction of the plane, it looks like EPP foam.
Is the wing airfoiled? There seems to be a carbon fiber spar in top, probably bottom also, is this accurate?

Could you give us the measurements ? (just the plane) we have to stay focused.
What size motor ?
Sorry for all the questions, I have a flying field very close to my house for that size of plane. one last one, Where did you buy it.

Thank you

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

I like that plane alot......followed builds at RCG, so many options.

Here's a link I found most usefull....no sound or comments, but awesome step-by step.....Don't have one yet, but it's an itch I'll need to scratch for sure....:

AMA 928214
Old 10-15-2014, 10:50 PM   #7
rtfm

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
Both models look very good.
:-)

What is the construction of the plane, it looks like EPP foam.
Is the wing airfoiled? There seems to be a carbon fiber spar in top, probably bottom also, is this accurate?
Yes, EPP. The wing has a symmetrical airfoil. Looks like one of the NACA variants (possibly NACA 0010). The wing doesn't come with any CF spar, but CF rods/strips are provided. As a full-scale aircraft designer/builder I have always thought that the common RC practice of inserting a single beefy (ie heavy) CF rod down the centre of the wing panels is a relative waste of time. For a really rigid wing, one MUST bond in a CF rod on both sides of the wing. So I simply cut a slit (top and bottom) at the 25% chord line, and slipped in a 3mm x .5mm CF strip. Then ran some thin CA onto the slit. It wicks down into the groove really well, and when both strips have been bonded on place, the wing is as stiff as a piece of wood.

Could you give us the measurements ? (just the plane) we have to stay focused.
ha ha. I'll do so today and post all vital statistics this evening, if that's OK.

What size motor ?
Well, it all depends on the type of flying you want to do. I intend progressing from almost instant crashes all the way to 3D, so I need something which will enable vertical flight. The plane (without hardware - ie foam and CF spars) weighs 165g. Add to that the weight of the ESC (10A Turnigy Plush), battery (2S, 450mAh) and HXT500 servos (x4). And of course, the servo control rods. That will give you the all up weight minus the motor. I have two candidates, and a number of prop choices in the workshop. I'll try both by powering up, and holding the plane vertical. And then see which motor/prop combination will tug the play vertical under full power. My two motors are both E-Flite. Park 300 and Park 370. I suspect the Park 370 will end up the clear winner, simply because it weighs almost the same as its smaller brother. But I'll report on this when I get there.

Sorry for all the questions, I have a flying field very close to my house for that size of plane. one last one, Where did you buy it.
I got mine from wmparkflyers.com Great people to deal with, and they have both variants in stock (ie the Magnum reloaded (3-channel) and the Acro version (4-channel)). I plan to start building them here in Australia for local guys. I have some modifications I'd like to try first though. Besides, local guys won't want to wait the 4 weeks it took for the model to arrive from the US.

Happy flying,
Duncan
Old 10-16-2014, 03:58 AM   #8
rtfm

HI,
Back from the workshop, and here are some build photos. The fuse is 600mm long, and it has a wingspan of 820mm (including the wing tips). Haven't done the thrust test yet.

Regards,
Duncan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AR fuse reinforcement4.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	177913   Click image for larger version

Name:	AR fuse reinforcement2.jpg
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	177914   Click image for larger version

Name:	AR fuse reinforcement1.jpg
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	177915   Click image for larger version

Name:	AR main gear2.jpg
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	177916  
Old 10-16-2014, 04:07 AM   #9
rtfm

Next, the wing.

I simply cut a slit along the 80mm (back from the LE) line, and slipped a 3mm x .5mm CF strip into it. Then I did the opposite side. Then I added some thin CA into the cut. It disappears immediately, creating a no-nonsense bond between the CF strip and the foam. The wing can easily handle a 2kg load almost without bending, which is about 8G. It could probably take double that before failing.

Here's what it looks like...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AM wing1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	177917   Click image for larger version

Name:	AR wing cut-outs.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	177926  
Old 10-16-2014, 04:12 AM   #10
rtfm

The wing is bonded to a removable part of the fuse. This allows the wing to fit snugly to the fuse with rubber bands. You could use magnets, too, if you wished.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AR wing base1.jpg
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	177918   Click image for larger version

Name:	AR wing base2.jpg
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	177919   Click image for larger version

Name:	AR wing base3.jpg
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	177920   Click image for larger version

Name:	AR wing base4.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	177921  
Old 10-16-2014, 04:19 AM   #11
rtfm

Finally, the undercarriage.
First, each u/carriage piece (ie left and right) comes as three pieces, which have to be gliued together like a sandwich. The reason for this is because the middle piece is cut away to accommodate a wheel (supplied). Couldn't be simpler.

The recommended glue is Foam-Tac, but from personal experience, UHU Por is indistinguishable. In fact, and foam safe contact adhesive would do just as well. Check out your local hardware store or art supplies shop and buy something local (at a fraction of the rather steep cost).

I stiffened the gear with a 3mm x .5mm CF strip on either side.

The rectangular cutout is for the aileron servos (HXT500) This makes for a very short (ie light and rigid) control rod.

Next, gluing the undercarriage to the wing, attaching the tail feathers, attaching the motor and the electrics.

Cheers,
Duncan

Regards,
Duncan

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AR main gear1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	177922  
Old 10-16-2014, 05:47 AM   #12
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

Very interesting, I haven't seen full solid color EPP foam before. You could smooth the wings with some sharp sandpaper without going through the paint job like I have done in the past, if the wings needed it. I have an EPP plane that if you go below 100 watts it wants to stop in midair. The wings are very rough.

I have done the embedded CF strip before, in EPP and styrofoam, it really adds strength with out much weight.

I fully agree with you about a centered spar being less useful than 2 spaced spars even though the 2 may be smaller than the 1 centered spar.
That is the same logic as an I beam steel or a TJI floor joist.

What type of full scale planes do you design and or build?

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:03 AM   #13
rtfm

Hi,
Strangely enough, while it is called EPP, it certainly isn't what I have come to know as Expanded Polypropylene. It looks like, feels like and behaves like polystyrene. EPP has a waxy feel to it, and one can drive a car over it without worry.

But it is called EPP by the community, so I guess I'l just give in and go with the flow.

Sanding it is problematic. It doesn't like to be sanded. Someone on another forum suggested covering the foam with a wax paper, and ironing it (200 deg I think was mentioned). This smooths the surface. Haven't tried it yet, but I'll do a few experiments on some offcuts. I'll have to pinch the wife's iron for a bit.

The nice thing about the Magnum is that it is not supposed to be quick - so I guess a rough wing surface is OK. Won't know till I've tried it, though...

I do sexy little single seaters. Composite. In fact, the reason I'm getting into RC is because I want to try out my latest design in scale. I'd rather crash and burn a model than have my bum sitting in the seat when it all goes wrong...

http://rtfmaero.wordpress.com/

Regards,
Duncan

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies