Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-14-2013, 01:53 AM   #1
Dukepiles

Friends: (0)
Default adding weight to balance

i built my first foamie and need to add weight to the nose to balance it out. Not wanting to drive to the hobby shop i did some brain storming and while i was looking around i spotted some airsoft bb's. they weigh .25 grams. so even number means i could space em out evenly. i figure pop em in the foam and add a drop of hot glue and it should be good to go. has anyone tried this? do you think it will work?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-13 18.39.22.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	169373   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-13 18.37.38.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	169374   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-09 01.57.25.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	169375  
Old 06-14-2013, 02:01 AM   #2
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

No reason it won't work, if you can get them stuck on there. I generally go with something a little heavier as it would take a ton of bb's to add an ounce of weight (100+) but if you just need a gram or two, go for it.

If you can move the battery, rather than add dead weight, that's generally a better option.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:36 AM   #3
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Pennies might be easier as the are heavier...just glue them right to the foam.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:55 AM   #4
Dukepiles

battery is all the way forward. Weighed it out and just going get a bigger battery it needs 45 grams. I guess I should have got new batts with a new plane lol (being cheap)
Old 06-14-2013, 04:36 AM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by Dukepiles View Post
i built my first foamie and need to add weight to the nose to balance it out. Not wanting to drive to the hobby shop i did some brain storming and while i was looking around i spotted some airsoft bb's. they weigh .25 grams. so even number means i could space em out evenly. i figure pop em in the foam and add a drop of hot glue and it should be good to go. has anyone tried this? do you think it will work?
I'd be worried about the hot glue might melt the foam???

For me, I've used lead shot mixed with some 5 minute epoxy for weight. It works out very well.

But, nothing worse than dead weight in a model airplane, if you can fit heavier batteries up there, that would be the way to go.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 06-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #6
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
But, nothing worse than dead weight in a model airplane, if you can fit heavier batteries up there, that would be the way to go.
+1 on that, you are better making the weight work for it's living, so add weight in form of battery and/or larger motor. Are you using all the recommended hardware?
Old 06-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
pattern14
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
+1 on that, you are better making the weight work for it's living, so add weight in form of battery and/or larger motor. Are you using all the recommended hardware?
2nd that as well. I just rebuilt my Me 262 and shaved 1/2 a kilo off it, and was able to remove all the lead ballast in the nose. Sometimes though, it is not possible to do that, even with rearranging all the internals, bigger battery etc. It is still far more important get the correct COG by adding weight if needed, even if it is dead weight
Old 06-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
Dukepiles

The hardware is all right. they didnt give any advice on motor or battery. i just tried to be cheap and use ones i had on hand. i ordered bigger batteries last night. thanks all
Old 06-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 

Reason i asked is because the motor looks far too small for the size of model. The motor is lost in the recess and the prop also looks much too small for a 3D plane. Compare motor and prop size of this similar Su-26m: http://www.rcfoam.com/product_info.php?products_id=359 i appreciate this might be a larger version of the model but look at the motor and prop in proportion to the size of the plane....

Having far too small a motor prop and battery would explain the CG issues you are having.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
Dukepiles

its a park 450 920kv plane is 41" span 9mil depron. unsure of what the weight is. the manual doesnt give any specs of the plane.

** Yeah i see what you mean. **
Old 06-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #11
Dukepiles

on the hobbies edge website its calling for alot smaller motor.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #12
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

One of the best lead weight items are stick-on wheel balance weights. They are specific weights, stamped into them ... self-adhesive .... another are weights available in fishing shops ... again known weights.

But at end of day - I always as others say make my extra weight work by larger battery or motor .... if I cannot alter design to get battery more forward.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 06-15-2013, 12:17 AM   #13
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

move the servo tray forwards is another one that works well.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #14
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by pattern14 View Post
2nd that as well. I just rebuilt my Me 262 and shaved 1/2 a kilo off it, and was able to remove all the lead ballast in the nose. Sometimes though, it is not possible to do that, even with rearranging all the internals, bigger battery etc. It is still far more important get the correct COG by adding weight if needed, even if it is dead weight

Brings back memories of electrifying some of my various sailplanes in the mid 1980's. And, several scratch built models. Two side panels for the motor mount were extended forward of the original firewall perhaps 6 inches or so. Then, the motor and battery packs were moved back and forth on those two side panels until the model balanced.

Then, the side panels were cut off at the proper length. That became the location of the motor and battery pack. It was just a matter of filling in the top and bottom panels, and sanding everything round, to look nice. Rather crude, but hey, it worked out very well several times.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 06-15-2013, 02:32 AM   #15
swimmer

Friends: (2)

I needed to add some weight to the nose of my 30" wing and used finish nails. I weighed out the correct number of nails to get the correct cg and then pushed them into the nose of the plane. I hate to add dead weight but the wing is short enough didn't have a choice.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #16
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I needed to add some weight to the nose of my 30" wing and used finish nails. I weighed out the correct number of nails to get the correct cg and then pushed them into the nose of the plane. I hate to add dead weight but the wing is short enough didn't have a choice.
Nails are also a good way to correct lateral balance where one wing appears heavier than other ... you push them into wing tips.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 10-14-2014, 02:25 AM   #17
upuprcflyn

Default Adding weight to foamy

Thanks for the post, I was thinking about adding weight to my FMS Sky Trainer Cessna 182 55in W/P. The CG said 60mm which is a bit off causing it to be just bit tail heavy, cant move batt any further forward never cross my mind to just get a bigger batt

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies