Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-09-2015, 06:36 PM   #1
Eddy

Friends: (1)
Default Types of foam ?

As a Noob here I have a need to know. What is the difference between EPP and Depron ? Which is better, and from where are you purchasing it ?

Thank you.

Eddy

I come in peace.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:01 PM   #2
Xpress..

Club: Alpine Aero Squadron
Friends: (2)

EPP is a very flexible type of foam that is extremely durable. It is similar to a sponge, but a bit stiffer. You can use regular non-foam friendly adhesives with it without ill effects.

Depron on the other hand is very stiff, not super durable or resistant to impacts, and you need to use foam friendly adhesives with it. It's a bit easier to cut and shape than EPP.

Which foam is better is all a matter of personal preference. I prefer to work with Depron over EPP, but others may voice opinions differently. I usually pick depron up from a dollar tree store, it's labeled as 'foam board' and has a paper backing stuck to it that is easily peeled away. Cheapest place to get it that I know of. Not sure about EPP.

Team Hitec, Customer Service Representative
Old 06-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Is DTF Depron ? I thought it was Polystyrene with Kraft paper .......

Depron actually is a trade name ....

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 06-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #4
Eddy

" I usually pick depron up from a dollar tree store, it's labeled as 'foam board' and has a paper backing stuck to it that is easily peeled away. Cheapest place to get it that I know of. Not sure about EPP. "

Very interesting. Is that the 30" x 20" sheets that they sell at the Dollar Tree ? Is that Depron ?
And is it desirable, or necessary to peel away the paper ?

Eddy

I come in peace.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #5
Mogg2112
Coming in hot!

Noob question: What's the difference between EPP and EPO? I think my planes are made from EPP foam, but I've been looking at other ones that are made with EPO.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:12 PM   #6
Eddy

Why do you think that EPO is better then EPP ?

I come in peace.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:08 PM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,145 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (324)

EPP is a PITA to glue and work with, its way to spongy, bends and twist in flight, requires a lot of CF bracing, Stay Away from it I avoid it like the Plague

Dollar tree foam is not Depron. Its heavy with the paper on, and weak with the Paper off, requires a lot of bracing with the paper removed, best to only remove the paper on one side to retain some strength.

Depron Foam is the best to work with, its stiff, but your planes parts wont twist in flight. 5 min epoxy works great with depron, use sparingly.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 06-09-2015, 09:20 PM   #8
Eddy

Thanks Chellie, and where do you obtain your Depron ?

Eddy

I come in peace.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:25 PM   #9
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Thanks Chellie, and where do you obtain your Depron ?

Eddy
I get my Depron foam at RC Foam, i use 6mm and 9mm depron foam, here are a few of my Foam Builds.

http://www.rcfoam.com/depron-and-epp-foam-suppliers/

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55444

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 06-10-2015, 12:40 AM   #10
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

Check with your local hobby shops too. Sometimes they'll order in Depron for sale in the store.

Pat Gagnon
Old 06-10-2015, 03:23 AM   #11
Eddy

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
I get my Depron foam at RC Foam, i use 6mm and 9mm depron foam, here are a few of my Foam Builds.

http://www.rcfoam.com/depron-and-epp-foam-suppliers/

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55444
Thanks again Chellie. You are always so very helpful here. R/C Foam will now become my new supplier. I looked for an address, but could not find any. Are they also in California ?

Eddy

I come in peace.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:07 AM   #12
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Thanks again Chellie. You are always so very helpful here. R/C Foam will now become my new supplier. I looked for an address, but could not find any. Are they also in California ?

Eddy
RCFoam is a online store, they will ship your foam to your home address.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:21 PM   #13
Xpress..

Club: Alpine Aero Squadron
Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
EPP is a PITA to glue and work with, its way to spongy, bends and twist in flight, requires a lot of CF bracing, Stay Away from it
Usually only glues up well with medium CA and accelerator. Never had any problems with it. The spongey-flexible nature of it makes it ideal for training with as it usually bounces after a crash. Good EPP is easy to work with, cheap stuff not so much and tears easily..

Dollar tree foam is not Depron. Its heavy with the paper on, and weak with the Paper off, requires a lot of bracing with the paper removed, best to only remove the paper on one side to retain some strength.
DTF is basically depron. I think DTF is only 4mm though, and it's got the same consistency as Depron. Cuts the same, same strength (or lack there of in such a size), same adhesive characteristics... Just cheaper

Depron Foam is the best to work with, its stiff, but your planes parts wont twist in flight. 5 min epoxy works great with depron, use sparingly.
I like to use epoxy around high stress areas like the firewall but use medium FS CA for the rest of it. Some like to use white gorilla glue too.

Team Hitec, Customer Service Representative
Old 06-11-2015, 06:29 PM   #14
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Strictly speaking DEPRON is not foam but a Trade Name for a type of foam by ONE company and its licensed producers.

Here's from Depron.co.uk :

Depron foam is a closed cell polystyrene sheet. It is extremely lightweight, moisture resistant. Developed for Floor Insulation, now has a wide variety of uses such as food packaging, but more recently in Modeling due to it's light weight and rigity.
Floor insulation
Underlay for laminate/parquet floors
Model Aircraft
RC Aircraft (indoor & outdoor)
Arts/Crafts
Underfloor Heating

DTF as I see online is POLYSTYRENE foam with paper applied .. so it could be same type of foam but again cannot be marketed as DEPRON.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 06-13-2015, 12:47 PM   #15
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

EPP is THE foam Everything else is second best for durability. Once you get the hang of working with it, you won't bother with that pz beer cooler junk. Nothing like having opposite opinions, is there

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies