Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #1251
chris123sc

View chris123sc's Gallery5
Club: Ridgeville AMA
Friends: (2)

Don't have much experience with the cold weather, have the opposite here in the summer and hot months. Lipo's shouldn't be affected that much during flight since they'll actually produce some heat but again, no experience with that. I don't know about the affects on tx/rx or other electronic components. I've seen lots of video in cold conditions and snow on the ground. And some people use ski's so I would think you are okay. Is is a 2.4 or 72 tx?
Old 10-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #1252
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by pdown1231 View Post
Lots of sun in Spokane, WA with no breeze. Also no warm temps as it was in the low 20's this AM and cooler tomorrow. How do the lipo batts hold up at the lower temps anyway? I have a hat and gloves but am not sure of the integrity of my PZ Tx/Rx at the cold temps.
Keep you lipos warm until ready to fly. Make sure you don't have significant air flow over the battery in the plane and it will probably keep itself warm enough under load. I'd also urge you to range-check your radio after the plane gets cold just to be sure it doesn't de-tune and loose sensitivity. Otherwise it should be fine in the cold.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #1253
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

Club: Lorain County R/C Club
Friends: (5)

Weather today is beautiful on the Sunny South Shore of Lake Erie, winds about 5-7, temperature about 64. Hope it holds up for tomorrow (Sunday). I finally repaired my Goldberg Skylark that had an uncontrolled arrival with the ground in August 2007. Also hopefully finished the repairs on my Megatech A-7 EDF. Hope I haven't added too much extra weight. That was the first good flying Megatech plane I had. Also need to maiden my brand new GP L-39 EDF. HAve only heard good things about them.

Haven't had much time for flying since my employer decided I had earned the right to become a gentleman of liesure. Accumulated house repairs, loss of a nice indoor flying site after hours, paperwork, visits from and to family, grandaughters 2nd birthday requiring a 2 week stay in Columbia, SC, without plane, of course, and when I did find time the weather here was wet and windy. In fact, missed the last twomonthly local Free Flight contests. I have bairly been able to maintain my 19th year in the AMA all-weather flyer program with a couple cheapy ERC toys and some Rubber and Hand Launched Glider flights in the small parkk actoss the street from me. Hope I can do better next year. Especially want to do more CL flyiing.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #1254
chris123sc

Sorry to hear 50+, many of us are in that boat. I worked for the auto industry (Logistics) for many years and I too am on extended vacation, working odd jobs etc. Hopefully this economy will improve as much as they are saying it already has! Don't see much improvement in SC. In fact more layoffs every time you turn around. Check out the Bluecor foam builds, doing my first one this weekend and you probably have enough material lying around to build for free. Most of it you can get at the Dollar store or home improvement centers (the foam and glue anyway) for practically nothing.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #1255
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Windy as all get out up here no flying, but it's giving me time to finish a build all covered and ready to be put together. Isn't that the way it goes should be ready to maiden by sun. winds supposed to be blowing around 15 to 20mph, and Mon. doesn't look to promising either.
On a side note hope both of you find work soon, or get called back to your old jobs.
Good luck
John
Old 10-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #1256
chris123sc

Thanks John, it'll all work out. Always seems to with the proper attitude. Thinking of moving to western KY (wifes from there) with the wide open corn and soybean fields, they're in dire need of a hobby shop there anyway! Try finding a local shop that sells futaba compatible crystals...That's kind of been a dream of mine for a while now. If I'm going to re-enter the small business world again, It'll be something I enjoy for sure. Then again, my dream of building that Lancair and getting my pilots license seems to have taken a nose dive with my investments...
Old 10-11-2009, 02:59 AM   #1257
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

Thanks, Chris. At least I was already within about 2 years of retiring anyway, actually qualified for full SS payment, a 401K that seems to be recovering, have a basement full of kits, balsa, fanfold, engines, motors, controllers, batteries and other supplies for my interests in RC, CL, and FF.
Even got another plane, an Air Hogs, fixed up ready to go today. Maybe over the winter I'll finish fixing the C%&^*h damage and hangar rash on about 4 other planes, then finish up about 8 in progress planes, and start on a few plan built projects I have in mind. Winter up here reduces, but doesn't eliminate my outdoor flying. I even have a couple sets of skis if needed.
If the winters up here were as bad as some people cry about, I wouldn't be about to complete year 19 of my AMA All Weather Flyers efforts.
If we ever manage to meet my wife's dream, and move to the Columbia SC area, I would hope to be able to do more flying, although 85+F temperatures are more limiting to my outdoor activities than -20F temperatures.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:05 AM   #1258
chris123sc

Not quite that close to retirement, in my 40's. Still makes me sick ya know, had things pretty well planned out with the wife. Looks like I'll have to put off a lot of things on hold until this, whatever this is we are in, settles down. I know what you mean though, at least I'm not LOSING money anymore, just not making any. I'd saved enough to open that hobby shop in KY, had a good retirement portfolio (I thought) and bam, it all kind of crumbled. Hung my hat on the wrong industry but then again if you'd have told me that GM, Chrystler and Ford were going to be in this position ten years ago I would have laughed it off. Oh well, like I said keep a good attitude and things always get better. Good luck sir and hope to see you in here soon. Who knows, you may get to SC before I leave! It's not a bad place, good weather and friendly people. It'll take a season or two to get used to the humidity and heat, but you'll enjoy it here.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:40 AM   #1259
pdown1231

Club: none yet
Friends: (0)

Thanks for the suggestion Mustangman. I'll do a range check tomorrow since it will certainly be cold enough for a reality check
Old 10-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #1260
Crashalott
Super Contributor

View Crashalott's Gallery26
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (7)

Well its only 23deg. here this morning so if i go out i will have to bundle up.
Wish i had a tx mitten!
Cheers

Crashalott
Old 10-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #1261
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

I'm getting ready to head for the field right now. Need to do a QC flight on a couple of newly repaired planes. Prediction is for partly sunny, winds 5 to 10, and a high of the low 50s. Perfect.

I did have an opportunity to fly last year at the Camden SC RC field. Very nice facility, but not certain about the little warning I got before going out to retrieve my plane from the bush. Something about having 4 of the countries 5 varieties of poisonos snakes there. Didn't see a single one, though. People are great down there, but then, I haven't really met many un-nice people around the country or world, even in Chicago or NYC.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:03 PM   #1262
chris123sc

Good luck and have fun! Too damp here. Still drizzling, football time anyway for me.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #1263
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Default Tallahassee was beautiful this morning

Ignoring last nights game... The flying weather was beautiful this AM. I got to the soccer fields about 8 AM. It was CALM, 72 degrees, partly cloudy, and the soccer munch-kins were nowhere in sight! I went for low stress by cruising the SQuiRT around about 2 ft. off the ground around the soccer goals and light poles. Then launched the UFO Falcon to do some high altitude touring.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:01 AM   #1264
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

Marvelous day. Got out to the field, about 5 other people there, nobody onmy frequencies. After a few readjustments, got my Skylark it's first flight after repair. Hadn't realized just how far off the servos were until I got airborne. Had to hold some right aileron even with max trim dialed in, had to put in full up trim as well. Also had part of a monocoat patch start pulling off the wing bottom in flight. Temperature never made the predicted low 50s. The thermomeer on my field box showed 49*F max. But, the wind had dropped to almost nothing. Actually quite comfortable, in my coveralls and jacket. With a couple ERC cheapies I had with me, and a couple freshly repaired hand launched gliders, I got in 14 flights between 1:45 and 6:00.

And I got to hear the Browns beating the Bills on my car radio.

Too bad that this time of year, useable sun is gone by 7:00.

Sad part was, I just missed getting to see my grandaughter on Skype by less than a minute. got in the house just as wifey closed the connection.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:54 AM   #1265
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

View Alpea42's Gallery59
Friends: (25)

Sunny So. Ca. got it's first drizzle of the season today. We need it.

THE B-2 Worlds most expensive airplane.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #1266
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Had a couple of nice flights this morning with my FoamyII Bipe
Quite cold (20deg.) but calm and a good morning to fly.
The Bipe does nice rolls so i like flying it.
She also will slow down and glide in for a landing nice so i also like that.
Happy Landings

Crashalott
Old 10-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #1267
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Good flying weather yesterday again in the north woods.
Got in two flights before the wind came up.
A little wind today though.
Have a good one.

Crashalott
Old 10-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #1268
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Finally have nice weather to fly, sunny should warm up to 50's and here I sit at work till 5 maybe 5:30. Oh well such is the cruelity of life "Work" of course i'm screwing around on the internet go figure.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #1269
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Default Chilly and Sunny in Tallahassee this morning!

36 this morning at sunrise. Flew the SQuiRT about 35 minutes this morning making sure all was ready for my new student this afternoon. Near calm at first but thermals started stirring as soon as the sun got up over the trees and hit the ground. Warming rapidly, 9 degrees the first hour after sunrise! Hope the winds stay reasonable for our lesson at 3 pm today.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:43 PM   #1270
pdown1231

Club: none yet

A little cool this AM, about 40 but with NO WIND! Unfortunately if the plane got above 50' it would be invisible and would have to be flown by ear I'm NOT a good enough stick man to fly that low other than takeoff and landing. Fog is tough to fly in with the electrics as you can't hear them as well as nitros!
Old 10-21-2009, 01:43 PM   #1271
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Well i got rain this morning so no fly for me.
Looks like a good build day.

Crashalott
Old 10-22-2009, 03:21 PM   #1272
dava92

In Va its nice! Blue Skys 72f perfect! But the Dx6i is in the shop for yet another recall
Old 10-24-2009, 12:55 PM   #1273
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Wind 5mph.
Temp 30deg.
Dark
Flying Weather?

Crashalott
Old 10-24-2009, 01:52 PM   #1274
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Crashalott View Post
Wind 5mph.
Temp 30deg.
Dark
Flying Weather?
Gloves, lights on the plane yup flying weather.

No flying up here rain, Sun. might bring some flying weather hope so anyways.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #1275
chris123sc

Damp, 10 mph winds, looks like I'm flying the bigger balsa's. Little to gusty for the foamies, but I feel for you guys with the freezin temps, it's 72 here. This southern boy goes into seclusion when it's below 32.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies

Tags
flying , weather