Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-31-2005, 12:48 PM   #1
ENUT

Club: Wintonbury Flying club,Bloomfield,Ct.
Friends: (2)
Question Lipo battery balancing?

I just started flying with lipo batteries(TP 1320 3S) "How often do the need to be balanced?" thanxs,ENUT

Yes I'm a Lipo newbee
Old 10-31-2005, 01:58 PM   #2
Matt Kirsch
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Truthfully, there's no hard and fast rule for balancing. The older the batteries are, and the harder you use them, the more often you should check to make sure they're balanced. In a perfect world, the cells should probably be checked every flight, but that's only practical if you have a balancing charger like the Skyvolt setup from FMA, or the offerings from Apogee or Thunder Power. With "conventional" packs, the reality is that you'll probably check individual cell voltages somewhat less than every flight. This is okay because under normal circumstances, the cell voltages don't go out of balance all that quickly, and cells that are in good condition and aren't abused won't vary much over the long haul, if they vary at all. Still, it's good to keep half an eye on the situation.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:24 PM   #3
Unbalanced prop
Watt, No fuel?

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by ENUT View Post
I just started flying with lipo batteries(TP 1320 3S) "How often do the need to be balanced?" thanxs,ENUT
I have been checking and or balancing my 3S TP PL 1320s around every 10 flights. So far, after almost 100 cycles, they stay balanced very well on their own. I check my other brands around every 10 cycles also and they usually are very well balanced. As Matt said, I don't abuse my packs which helps to keep them in good shape and balance.

Doug

Electrics are COOL
Old 11-01-2005, 09:39 PM   #4
Heidelberg Germany Flyer
US Citizen, Overseas...

Is there any problem of soldering a connection to each cell to connect a balancer? My balancer only fits/connects to a Graupner battery?

I'm not sure I feel too comfortable playing with Lipos that way...

HGF
Old 11-02-2005, 02:16 AM   #5
Unbalanced prop
Watt, No fuel?

Originally Posted by Heidelberg Germany Flyer View Post
Is there any problem of soldering a connection to each cell to connect a balancer? My balancer only fits/connects to a Graupner battery?

I'm not sure I feel too comfortable playing with Lipos that way...
I added taps (very carefully) to a couple older packs and made adapters for packs that already have taps to fit the balancer I use. Some cells have very fragile aluminum tabs to solder to any you have to use special flux. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, I would leave it alone. Packs that allready have taps should be no problem converting.

Doug

Electrics are COOL

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers