Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-20-2007, 04:21 AM   #1
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

View Crash Test Dummy's Gallery15
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (4)
Default EDF Jet Factory Sport Jet!!!

I think I have to have one of these, what about you? Check the link it's a review on RCG by Tram.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=622291&pp=50

Here is a link to EJF's web site.

http://www.ejf.com/index.php?main_pa...08cd1f34ee6846

CTD
Old 07-20-2007, 04:38 AM   #2
PapaMike64
Mode 1 Holdout!

Friends: (0)
Default Sport Jet 70

Originally Posted by Crash Test Dummy View Post
I think I have to have one of these, what about you? Check the link it's a review on RCG by Tram.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=622291&pp=50

Here is a link to EJF's web site.

http://www.ejf.com/index.php?main_pa...08cd1f34ee6846

CTD
I just finished building a Sport Jet 70 and will be making my Madien flight soon. I have spoken with Robert at Electric Jet Factory and he is a stand up guy. I had a small problem and the part was replaced and at my door in two days. This model was recomended by many electric jet flyers so I think it will be a great flyer.
Good luck if you get one,
Mike
Old 07-20-2007, 05:01 AM   #3
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Thanks Mike. I also hear it is a good flyer. Please post you flight report after you maiden her. Post a video if you can shoot one. What power system are you running in her? I have a 2815-4000KV Himax laying around. I was thinking of trying that motor on 3S,

CTD
Old 07-20-2007, 05:06 AM   #4
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Looks like Randy from www.dynamoelectrics.com will be selling these. I placed my order with him tonight!!! They aren't on his web site but he can get them.

CTD
Old 07-20-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
PapaMike64
Mode 1 Holdout!

Default Power system

Thanks Mike. I also hear it is a good flyer. Please post you flight report after you maiden her. Post a video if you can shoot one. What power system are you running in her? I have a 2815-4000KV Himax laying around. I was thinking of trying that motor on 3S,

CTD
I am using a HET 2W 450 motor because that is the motor Robert at Electric Jet Factory Recomended. Using my wattmeter I am pulling 40 Amps at 400 watts using a 3S 4000mah Lipo and 50 Amps at 500 watts using a 3S 3700mah Lipo. These are not the same make of battery but look very much alike. The 4000 mah pack is a "Hi Po" that I got at the local hobby shop and the 3700 pack is a "Twenty" that I got from Hobby Lobby. The Twenty is a lot hotter pack.
I don't know about how your Himax motor will work. I know that some people tried to use a 3S 2100 mah Lipo but they found them not up to the task. I must tell you I read about this and have not tried them myself.
I will try to get some video of the Maiden flight if I can. I will let you know what happens. I have been flying the ducted fan F-86 in my simulator and the X-29 as well to make sure I am up to speed. Also my Spitfire is very fast so it will help also.
Good luck,

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0193.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	35940

Name:	IMG_0197.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	35941

Name:	IMG_0195.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	35942
Old 07-21-2007, 04:33 AM   #6
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Very nice Papa Mike. I think mine will be a belly lander. Our grass field would just rip up that gear. I would also have to run 2.5 to 3 inch wheels so it would ROG. That would look ultra stupid on this clean jet.

CTD
Old 07-21-2007, 06:51 AM   #7
CORVETTER89
mem. lebanon aeronauts

Send a message via AIM to CORVETTER89

those are both good lookin jets! post when you maiden... i want to know how those babys fly!! thanks in advance..... vetter
Old 08-02-2007, 06:22 AM   #8
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Papamike,

Did you fly her??? How did it go??? Impressions???

CTD
Old 08-03-2007, 06:32 PM   #9
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Still no word on my jet arrival. Waiting.....................

CTD
Old 08-05-2007, 03:39 AM   #10
PapaMike64
Mode 1 Holdout!

Default Sport Jet 70 Madien

Papamike,

Did you fly her??? How did it go??? Impressions???

CTD
I have not flown her yet. Because of the Oregon weather I only had one good day to fly a first flight but didn't feel well and left the next day with my wife and twin grandaughters for a two week vacation in California. My son is at home but he only flys helis so I am sure he wouldn't try to fly her without me. I am in San Deigo at this time. I will be home after the 9th of Aug. so I will fly her then. I am having a wonderful time visiting family in LA and San Deigo but can't wait to get back to the flying field.
I will let you all know when she flys.
I should have put out a note about being gone but time seemed to get away from me.
Mike
Old 08-05-2007, 05:02 AM   #11
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Cool Mike,

I have a Sister in San Deigo. Have a great time and report in when you can. I'm hoping to get mine soon. It looks like such a smooth flyer.

CTD
Old 08-14-2007, 06:00 AM   #12
PapaMike64
Mode 1 Holdout!

Default Sport Jet 70 Maiden

I finally have a flying Sport Jet 70. I flew her today 8-13-07 at 6:45pm PDST. Takeoff was great power is very good. After lift off I needed to put in about 4 clicks of down and 8 clicks of right. After that she went just where I pointed her. I powered down and at about 1/2 power the fan quit which supprised me. As soon as I increased the power up past 1/2 power it came right back on line. I would say it is pretty fast but very solid. I loved the sound of the ducted fan going by on high speed passes. All were done in level flight. I will wait a while before I do any diving high speed low passes. I want to make sure I don't have any flutter creeping in first. I didn't do any aerobatics on this flight. Just the normal turnarounds at each end of the field.
I only made one landing and as before the fan quit at about 1/2 power and I glided in for a normal touchdown. The only problem came after touchdown. I was going pretty fast as I neared the end of the runway but thought it would be OK. Well the hard dirt at the end of the runway sheared off the main gear. The main gear is held on to a small plywood plate with very short screws and they had pulled out. I put some glue on the plywood and reattached the small scraps of plywood and will be ready to go tomorow.
I was alone at the field tonight so I din't get any video of the flight but will try to get some soon.
I am very pleased with my Sport Jet 70 and would recomend it to any one with some full house aircraft time under thier belt.
Happy Trails.
Mike
Old 08-14-2007, 11:13 AM   #13
sparkola

Default 1/2 throttle fan shutdown

Papa Mike, sounds like you need to adjust EPA for throttle. What kind of speed control is that?
Old 08-14-2007, 11:17 AM   #14
sparkola

Hey Crash test dummy, where you at in Sugar GRove? i live over here in Windsor Pointe and fly out in my backyard(ie Park District land) all the time
Old 08-14-2007, 01:24 PM   #15
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by sparkola View Post
Hey Crash test dummy, where you at in Sugar GRove? i live over here in Windsor Pointe and fly out in my backyard(ie Park District land) all the time
Papa Mike,

Thanks for the report!!

sparkola,

I live across the street from you!! I live in the Lakes of Bliss Woods!! We should get together and fly some.

CTD
Old 08-14-2007, 08:22 PM   #16
PapaMike64
Mode 1 Holdout!

Default Speed Control

Papa Mike, sounds like you need to adjust EPA for throttle. What kind of speed control is that?
Although I have been flying electric RC for 3 years, this is my first ducted fan aircraft so I am ignorant of these matters.
My ESC is a "H.E.T. Tsunami 54". I haven't tried to adjust it in any way.
My fan was out of balance when I got it and I used my magnetic balancer and metal Duct tape to balance it as best I could. My fan/motor makes quite a bit of noise at low and middle power settings and then smoothes out at full power.
My worry is that I didn't get it (fan/motor) installed just right. I think the noise is resonate thru the fuselage and wing.
I have been a bit worried about cooling the ESC so I put two 1/2 by 3/4 inch holes just back of the nose gear, added two air scoops and left the elevator door off to provide an exit for the heated air to flow out.
Mike
Old 08-15-2007, 01:12 AM   #17
sparkola

Default Ctd

Yeah we'll have to hook up. I was crusin my Stryker C a couple more times today before I tear it apart and do the power upgrade. Where do you fly? over by the Barnstormers in Aurora? What channel do you use mostly? Papa, ( I feel a little unusual adressing someone that way at the age of 35 but oh well) Usually your epa's are out of wack if your throttle only kicks in at midpoint or your speed control is not calibrated or not setting up properly when you turn it on. Is your throttle stick ALL the way down and transmitter fired up when you power up the esc?
Old 08-15-2007, 01:35 AM   #18
PapaMike64
Mode 1 Holdout!

Yeah we'll have to hook up. I was crusin my Stryker C a couple more times today before I tear it apart and do the power upgrade. Where do you fly? over by the Barnstormers in Aurora? What channel do you use mostly? Papa, ( I feel a little unusual adressing someone that way at the age of 35 but oh well) Usually your epa's are out of wack if your throttle only kicks in at midpoint or your speed control is not calibrated or not setting up properly when you turn it on. Is your throttle stick ALL the way down and transmitter fired up when you power up the esc?
On the ground I start by turning my transmitter on at low throttle and then plug in the battery. On the ground the motor turns up at low throttle plus a bit of stick movement. It goes through the range to full power. The fan/motor make quite a bit of noise until almost full throttle at which point it smooths out. In the air as I power down the fan/motor it will stop at about 1/2 throttle.
My grankids call me Papa. You can call me Mike if you want.
Thanks for the intrest.
Mike
Old 08-15-2007, 02:54 AM   #19
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Yup, Barnstormers field is where we fly.

CTD
Old 08-15-2007, 05:18 AM   #20
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Got some good news today. Randy from www.dynamoelectrics.com PM'ed me and said my SJ is in!!!! YEA BABY!! I don't live too far away from Randy [about 70 miles] so I'll have to make some time to get out to his place and pick up my new kit. If I drive out to see him, maybe we can fly a little too!! His club has a very nice field with a great runway. Blaze is the President of thier club, I met Blaze last month at their Fun Fly. What a great time we had. Randy and Blaze were super great hosts!! Anyway, I"m excited. I cant wait to join in on the EDF fun!!!

CTD
Old 08-15-2007, 07:47 PM   #21
MrElusive
EDF NUT

Default the edf jet

yeah those look kinda cool specialy with the added landing gear.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:46 AM   #22
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by MrElusive View Post
yeah those look kinda cool specialy with the added landing gear.
They are cool!!! Get one and join the party!!! Randy at Dynamo Electrics can set you up with a great EDF system. Bo knows baseball etc....but Randy knows EDF better than anybody else I know. Just tell him just how fast you want to RIP the wings off a plane and he'll tell you how to set it up!! LOL!! Just kidding.

CTD
Old 08-20-2007, 01:08 AM   #23
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Today.............I got my SJ!!! I met Randy [www.dynamoelectrics.com] at his clubs field. He had my SJ, Fan, and motor......yummy!! The fan is not the one from EJF, it is the 70mm unit [and motor] out of the Multiplex Twister ARF he is building. Randy made me a deal on the fan and Himax 2815-3600KV motor that I couldn't refuse, thanks a million Randy [although he didn't charge me a million]. My SJ has the Yellow wing and tail feathers. The covering job is very good. Nice kit, however it will require some CTD magic to get the fan unit to fit into the fan housing. It shouldn't be too hard just a bit of extra work. I hope to start on the kit tonight. I'm looking at a couple of 12 hour days this Monday and Tuesday at work so I"m not expecting to get much done until later this week. I did hook up the fan/motor to a receiver and ESC when I got home and the thrust feels very impressive even with out the thrust tube attached. I think I"m going to like this jet, he,he,he!!

CTD
Old 08-20-2007, 01:33 AM   #24
PapaMike64
Mode 1 Holdout!

Default Sj 70

[quote=Crash Test Dummy;254205]Today.............I got my SJ!!! I met Randy [www.dynamoelectrics.com] at his clubs field. He had my SJ, Fan, and motor......yummy!! The fan is not the one from EJF, it is the 70mm unit [and motor] out of the Multiplex Twister ARF he is building. Randy made me a deal on the fan and Himax 2815-3600KV motor that I couldn't refuse, thanks a million Randy [although he didn't charge me a million]. My SJ has the Yellow wing and tail feathers. The covering job is very good. Nice kit, however it will require some CTD magic to get the fan unit to fit into the fan housing. It shouldn't be too hard just a bit of extra work. I hope to start on the kit tonight. I'm looking at a couple of 12 hour days this Monday and Tuesday at work so I"m not expecting to get much done until later this week. I did hook up the fan/motor to a receiver and ESC when I got home and the thrust feels very impressive even with out the thrust tube attached. I think I"m going to like this jet, he,he,he!!
CTD Quote

I am sure you will like the Sport Jet 70. I have made some small changes to mine that seem to make quite a difference: First I Cut two holes in the bottom of the fuse just behind the nose gear and added two scoops to bring in cooling air. I added a small fin type of heat sinc on top of the ESC using heat sinc grease and tie wraps. To complete the cooling I left the door off the elevator servo hatch to make an exit for the warm air flowing through the inside of the fuse. My fan unit made quite a bit of noise/vibration and I took the nose cone or spinner off the fan unit and that really helped.

Speaking of the Twister, I have been looking at it and the foam F-16 That Hobby People sells and EJF has a T-45 Hawk that is foam and comes painted ready to fly all you need to do is add a reciever and your transmitter. I have watched videos of all and they look good. Any thoughts about them?
Also have looked at the HET F-18.
Good luck with your SJ70.
Mike
Old 08-20-2007, 03:44 AM   #25
termite
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

Hey Mike,
I can get ya a deal on the HET F-18;
It's an awsome jet!!!

Randy
Dynamo Electrics

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets