Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-20-2007, 04:56 AM   #26
PapaMike64
Mode 1 Holdout!

Friends: (0)
Default Het F-18

Originally Posted by termite View Post
Hey Mike,
I can get ya a deal on the HET F-18;
It's an awsome jet!!!

Randy
Dynamo Electrics
Randy,
What kind of deal are we talking about? Does it need one or two fan units etc.?
Mike
Old 08-20-2007, 05:43 AM   #27
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

View Crash Test Dummy's Gallery15
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (4)

[quote=PapaMike64;254217]
Originally Posted by Crash Test Dummy View Post
Today.............I got my SJ!!! I met Randy [www.dynamoelectrics.com] at his clubs field. He had my SJ, Fan, and motor......yummy!! The fan is not the one from EJF, it is the 70mm unit [and motor] out of the Multiplex Twister ARF he is building. Randy made me a deal on the fan and Himax 2815-3600KV motor that I couldn't refuse, thanks a million Randy [although he didn't charge me a million]. My SJ has the Yellow wing and tail feathers. The covering job is very good. Nice kit, however it will require some CTD magic to get the fan unit to fit into the fan housing. It shouldn't be too hard just a bit of extra work. I hope to start on the kit tonight. I'm looking at a couple of 12 hour days this Monday and Tuesday at work so I"m not expecting to get much done until later this week. I did hook up the fan/motor to a receiver and ESC when I got home and the thrust feels very impressive even with out the thrust tube attached. I think I"m going to like this jet, he,he,he!!
CTD Quote

I am sure you will like the Sport Jet 70. I have made some small changes to mine that seem to make quite a difference: First I Cut two holes in the bottom of the fuse just behind the nose gear and added two scoops to bring in cooling air. I added a small fin type of heat sinc on top of the ESC using heat sinc grease and tie wraps. To complete the cooling I left the door off the elevator servo hatch to make an exit for the warm air flowing through the inside of the fuse. My fan unit made quite a bit of noise/vibration and I took the nose cone or spinner off the fan unit and that really helped.

Speaking of the Twister, I have been looking at it and the foam F-16 That Hobby People sells and EJF has a T-45 Hawk that is foam and comes painted ready to fly all you need to do is add a reciever and your transmitter. I have watched videos of all and they look good. Any thoughts about them?
Also have looked at the HET F-18.
Good luck with your SJ70.
Mike
Thanks for the tips, I"m sure I'll like this plane. I can tell just from the videos I have seen that it is a easy plane to fly. If I can fly a 130+ MPH Fun Jet this should be a piece of cake......I hope, LOL.

Randy,

I hooked up the Fan/Motor to an ESC and my wattmeter tonight and with 2 2100 3S packs in paralle it pulled only 27 AMPs at 375 watts. These are not 20C packs just 12C Poly RC packs so I might pull more with some better batteries.

CTD
Old 08-20-2007, 06:02 AM   #28
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Ok, the instructions in this kit are terrible. Got a question. There's 2 small screws that look like they are for attaching the fan to the fuse but I dont see any nuts for them to screw into. To me it looks like 2 nuts should be epoxied into the piece that connects the 2 ply formers that go around the front and rear of the fan housing......rite?

And the aft section where the tail feathers go in!! Whats up with that? It is got covering on it and I can't tell where to cut in order to get the block out of there. I don't want to screw this up, so i'll wait for some advise from you guys that have built this plane already.

CTD
Old 08-20-2007, 06:28 AM   #29
PapaMike64
Mode 1 Holdout!

Default SJ 70 Build

Ok, the instructions in this kit are terrible. Got a question. There's 2 small screws that look like they are for attaching the fan to the fuse but I dont see any nuts for them to screw into. To me it looks like 2 nuts should be epoxied into the piece that connects the 2 ply formers that go around the front and rear of the fan housing......rite?

CTD
If we are talking about the same small screws they go down through the fuselage into blind nuts in the fan housing. You said that you have a different fan/motor than I do, so?
I used the review in e-zone to go along with the plans because they were difficult at best. I looked at the photos in the review a lot. LOL.
Mike
Old 08-20-2007, 06:48 AM   #30
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Ahhh I see. My fan don't have any blind nuts. The ply plate that connects the 2 ply formers that go around the fan have 2 cut outs that look like they would hold 2 nuts. I guess I'll have to talk with Randy or his buddy to see what they did. I think Howie is running another fan also. I also have looked at the photos in the review Tram did on RCG. They help quite a bit but there are still questions coming to the surface.

Thanks,
CTD
Old 08-20-2007, 07:50 PM   #31
PapaMike64
Mode 1 Holdout!

Default SJ-70 Tail feathers

CTD,
I had trouble finding just the right place to cut the covering too. I used the grain at the back end of the fuse to locate the fillers but it wasn't easy. Take your time. I cut a little extra on mine and had to make a little filler on one side of the vert fin.
As a friend told me in A&P school: Beat it to fit and paint it to match!
LOL
Mike
Old 08-21-2007, 03:44 AM   #32
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Well the back tail section broke as I was trying to remove the T section. I'll be able to booger it back together with epoxy, but what a PITA!! I got the ducting on the fuse and the fan unit is ready to go on after the ducting cures. Next I'll hinge the ailerons. Robert from EJF suggests changing the main spar to CF or hard wood so I"m not sure what I"ll do there. The later kits also came with some heavy F-Glass Cloth that they say should be epoxied along the wings seam on the top and bottom. There were some wing failures with early kits so they started suggesting the CF or hard wood spar and the F-Cloth as a fix.

Did you guys do these upgrades?

CTD
Old 08-21-2007, 07:51 AM   #33
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I got her built today. I didn't think I'd be able to work on her today but, on the way to work my heater hose blew up in my car and I took the day off to fix the car. I called the auto parts store and they said they could have the part by 4 PM. Perfect......that gave me the morning, afternoon, and this evening to work on her.

Now I still have to install all the gear [Electronics, she'll be a bellyflooper] but man does she look pretty. I'm too tired to shoot any pix tonight and I have a 12 hour day on Tuesdays [unless the car breaks again, LOL!!] so Wed or Thurs will be the next time I'll get to work on the Sport Jet. I gooped up the tail section with plenty of epoxy and all turned out for the better.

I really like the canopy set up with the magnets, they are very strong. I had to put 2 pices of tape on either side of the canopy by the magnets so I could pull them loose. Thats all for today. I'll try to post some pix tomorrow night.

CTD
Old 08-21-2007, 08:41 AM   #34
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery86
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

I got her built today. I didn't think I'd be able to work on her today but, on the way to work my heater hose blew up in my car and I took the day off to fix the car. I called the auto parts store and they said they could have the part by 4 PM. Perfect......that gave me the morning, afternoon, and this evening to work on her.

Now I still have to install all the gear [Electronics, she'll be a bellyflooper] but man does she look pretty. I'm too tired to shoot any pix tonight and I have a 12 hour day on Tuesdays [unless the car breaks again, LOL!!] so Wed or Thurs will be the next time I'll get to work on the Sport Jet. I gooped up the tail section with plenty of epoxy and all turned out for the better.

I really like the canopy set up with the magnets, they are very strong. I had to put 2 pices of tape on either side of the canopy by the magnets so I could pull them loose. Thats all for today. I'll try to post some pix tomorrow night.

CTD
I think you wanted to take the day off.
Are you sure the car really put you out that bad, to miss the day?

Probably twice as far to get back home, that it was to get to work at the point where it blew.

Heck I'd do the same thing.

Bill
Old 08-22-2007, 07:05 AM   #35
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Default Skully is her name.

Bill,

I was closer to home by a good margin. But you can bet the 1st thing I thought of while waiting for the engine to cool down was......hummm I could fix the car and work on my new jet for the rest of the day and evening. You bet!! The repair was quick and easy after the auto parts store got the hose in from their wharehouse at 4 PM. That gave me plenty of time to work on the Sport Jet.

Well here are the pix of her so far. I still need to put in all the guts. You can see the bare section back by the tail feathers. Thats where the tail section broke when I tried to cut the T section out. What a PITA!!! however it all turned ok. I'm sure I had to use twice as much epoxy than I would have if the tail section wouldn't have broken. I can't wait to get her up in the air. For now I"ll just have to hold it up in the air with my hands and make jet engine noises, sigh!

CTD

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SJ bike.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	38811   Click image for larger version

Name:	SJ Right side.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	38812   Click image for larger version

Name:	SJ Tail bare.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	38813   Click image for larger version

Name:	SJ Top.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	38814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skully Jet.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	38815  

Old 08-22-2007, 11:44 PM   #36
PapaMike64
Mode 1 Holdout!

Default Great looking bird!

Bill,

I was closer to home by a good margin. But you can bet the 1st thing I thought of while waiting for the engine to cool down was......hummm I could fix the car and work on my new jet for the rest of the day and evening. You bet!! The repair was quick and easy after the auto parts store got the hose in from their wharehouse at 4 PM. That gave me plenty of time to work on the Sport Jet.

Well here are the pix of her so far. I still need to put in all the guts. You can see the bare section back by the tail feathers. Thats where the tail section broke when I tried to cut the T section out. What a PITA!!! however it all turned ok. I'm sure I had to use twice as much epoxy than I would have if the tail section wouldn't have broken. I can't wait to get her up in the air. For now I"ll just have to hold it up in the air with my hands and make jet engine noises, sigh!

CTD
You did a great job of putting her together man. I forgot to respond to your question about the wing center section. I did put the fiberglass cloth on my center section with epoxy. I removed the covering and sanded the bare wood and applied it. I think it is good for my well being as well as the wing.
I like the graphic on the side of your bird. Very cool.
Keep up the good work.
Mike
Old 08-23-2007, 07:46 AM   #37
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Thanks Mike,

I dress her up more after the maiden, but I had to at least put the Skulls on for the maiden. I made a really sweet CF spar for the main wing out of some flat CF plate stock I had laying around. I dont know if I need the FG on the wing saddle with this spar. I cut 2 pieces [of CF plate stock] the exact same size as the spar supplied in the kit. Then I CAed the 2 flat pieces of CF plate together but then it was too thick the other 2 dimentions were perfect. I took the CF spar over to Mister bench grinder and proceeded to thin it out some until it fit nice and tight in the wings. i don't think it's going anywhere on the 3S set up but, I may add the F-Cloth and epoxy later or if I push her to 4S!! Yea Baby!!!

<<<<<Sport Jet build update>>>>>

My Sport Jet is done. I got the servos in tonight so she is ready for a maiden. The instructions say the AUW is about 32 oz. Mine came in at 30.5 oz. with my 2500 Mah 3S Poly RC pack. I'll get her up in the air by Sunday at the latest. I have a fairly mild system in mine, it's only 375 watts. I could add an external BEC and run a 4S pack in order to juice her up some.

How did you guys mount your battery? My battery is all the way forward to acheeve the CG. I just cut some foam to hold mine in place. I'll get some pix later of how mine is set up. I also added a couple of additional suppoorts on the floor using small thin coffee stirs. I'll get some pix of that too.

How about the CG? Are you guys setting the CG acording to the instructions? High wings usually are more forgiving on the CG.

I really would like to know before I maiden her.

Thanks,
CTD
Old 08-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #38
jafoca

CTD - My SJ is on its way (hopefully arriving today).

Can you get pics of what exactly you did with the CF to reinforce the wing?

Thanks
Old 08-23-2007, 07:11 PM   #39
Spencer J
ELECTRIC > GAS

Very cool plane, are the molds for there BabyCat and HL's Lynx XF the same?

There is such a word as Jigawatt!!!!

Prject Glbetrtter
Old 08-24-2007, 05:18 AM   #40
WingTips24
Mr. ExperiMENTAL

Awards Showcase

150mph Speed Demon 

CTD,

Lookin sweet man that sticker is just too nice. Nice looking bird bro.

Tips
Old 08-24-2007, 06:14 AM   #41
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by jafoca View Post
CTD - My SJ is on its way (hopefully arriving today).

Can you get pics of what exactly you did with the CF to reinforce the wing?

Thanks
Sorry but the spar and wing are epoxied together. I just used the factory spar as a guide for size. You'll have to post pix of yours when you build it. What color did you get?

Tips,

Thanks, I can't wait to get her in the air!!!

CTD
Old 08-24-2007, 06:33 AM   #42
jafoca

Sorry but the spar and wing are epoxied together. I just used the factory spar as a guide for size. You'll have to post pix of yours when you build it. What color did you get?
CTD
I was more wondering if you could show the underside of your wing where you did the modification, if there is anything visible.

Thanks anyway if you can't.

I chose a white SJ (I think... I don't remember confirming the color on my order as it was handled over email). I hope to do something of a camo paintjob, similar to the review on RCG. I know, lame to copy but it really is good looking IMHO.

I will be running an AmMO inrunner on 3s EV0Lite and PolyQ packs and a T-Bird 54. I would have bought the HET2w-20, but can't find it.

I will be watching your progress!
Old 08-24-2007, 07:52 AM   #43
PapaMike64
Mode 1 Holdout!

Default My Bird- Mike

Thanks Mike,

I dress her up more after the maiden, but I had to at least put the Skulls on for the maiden. I made a really sweet CF spar for the main wing out of some flat CF plate stock I had laying around. I dont know if I need the FG on the wing saddle with this spar. I cut 2 pieces [of CF plate stock] the exact same size as the spar supplied in the kit. Then I CAed the 2 flat pieces of CF plate together but then it was too thick the other 2 dimentions were perfect. I took the CF spar over to Mister bench grinder and proceeded to thin it out some until it fit nice and tight in the wings. i don't think it's going anywhere on the 3S set up but, I may add the F-Cloth and epoxy later or if I push her to 4S!! Yea Baby!!!

<<<<<Sport Jet build update>>>>>

My Sport Jet is done. I got the servos in tonight so she is ready for a maiden. The instructions say the AUW is about 32 oz. Mine came in at 30.5 oz. with my 2500 Mah 3S Poly RC pack. I'll get her up in the air by Sunday at the latest. I have a fairly mild system in mine, it's only 375 watts. I could add an external BEC and run a 4S pack in order to juice her up some.

How did you guys mount your battery? My battery is all the way forward to acheeve the CG. I just cut some foam to hold mine in place. I'll get some pix later of how mine is set up. I also added a couple of additional suppoorts on the floor using small thin coffee stirs. I'll get some pix of that too.

How about the CG? Are you guys setting the CG acording to the instructions? High wings usually are more forgiving on the CG.

I really would like to know before I maiden her.

Thanks,
CTD
I mounted my battery (3S 4000mah Twenty) in the fuse under the wing. I took a small piece of 1/16" lite ply cut to fit across the botom, cut a notch on each end that would let a piece of velcro fit under and up each side. I then glued the ply to the bottom supports with epoxy so I can cross the strip over the battery and make a very strong connection.

I have my CG at right where it says in the plans and it flys great. I flew her in a very strong gusty winds yesterday and while she was a handfull in the gusts I was able to make corrections quickly using the throws called out in the plans. I have a landing gear set up and tho I landed just to the side of the runway in the hard ground/short dry grass. I didn't have any trouble. The gear but it wasn't hurt a bit. My Son took video using my still digital camera and if I can figure out how I will upload it.
LOL
Mike
Old 08-24-2007, 05:33 PM   #44
jafoca

I just received my sportjet and it included the fiberglass cloth for reinforcing the wing.

There are, however, no instructions for doing this.

What did you all do to reinforce your wings?
Old 08-24-2007, 07:42 PM   #45
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I just received my sportjet and it included the fiberglass cloth for reinforcing the wing.

I think what others are doing is, remove the covering along the seam where the wings are epoxied together. You only need to remove enough covering so that it is as wide as the FG Cloth. Spread epoxy along the exposed balsa with a epoxy brush, then lay down the cloth and proceed to brush epoxy on the top of the cloth. I'm not sure if they are putting the cloth on the top and bottom but it might not be a bad idea to do the bottom too.

CTD
Old 08-24-2007, 08:12 PM   #46
jafoca

I purchased some CF fabric that I may use with epoxy to cover both sides of the seam.

How will the strength of this compare to replacing the spar such as you have done?
Old 08-24-2007, 09:16 PM   #47
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I purchased some CF fabric that I may use with epoxy to cover both sides of the seam.

How will the strength of this compare to replacing the spar such as you have done?
Thats hard to say, it would be purley a guess. Either mod will add strenght so go for it!! I was thinking of using some CF Ribbon [Dave Brown products] on mine also. Can't hurt and the weight is so little that it shouldn't be an issue.

CTD
Old 08-25-2007, 05:45 AM   #48
PapaMike64
Mode 1 Holdout!

Default Sport Jet 70

I removed the covering just wide enough to fit the glass cloth, sanded the bare wood and flooded the cloth with epoxy covering the joint all the way around the wing. The only place without cloth is the servo well. I then glued the top fiberglass fairing in place and now you can't see the glass cloth at all with the wing mounted.

I want to share with my on line friends that my wife got me the E-Flight Airliner with all the goodies for my birthday this week. I think it will be a great deal of fun to fly.
Good luck to all.
Mike
Old 08-26-2007, 05:45 PM   #49
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Wow, Mike thats great!! Thats a cool plane. Just fly it in clamer winds. A guy smashed his to pieces at the IVRC Fun Fly at Randys club field. It was a windy day and He should have kept her on the ground. Other than that I hear it is a good flying plane. You'll have to post some pix after it is built.

CTD
Old 08-26-2007, 06:18 PM   #50
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Sport Jet Flight Report!!!

I maidened her this morning with the help of Raynet11 and his supreior launching skills. I tried to fly her on Friday morning but I gave her a bad launch and she stalled to the left and I couldn't recover. As she went in, I gave it full up elevator so as not to put her in on her pretty little nose. Well the nose still broke off [no damage, it went rite back on.] and the side of the fuse buckeled a little by the wing saddle. The wing hit as it crashed [slight cartwheel] and thats what tweaked the fuse. I had it all fixed in 3 minutes with some Med CA after I got home.

This morning It was perfect outside. We had a 2 MPH winds, if even that. Ray gave her a good toss and I was off to the races. It was pulling to the right pretty hard and it needed up elevator. I got her up high and made the adjustments, however it was still diving some and I was at full up trim. I didn't like the was it was flying so I brought her around for a landing so I could adjust the elevator in the radio.

As I made my approach it was coming in pretty darn fast so I elected to go around again. Man!! This plane just wants to fly and fly and fly!!! I got her slowed down some more on the 2nd pass and she landed, but it was still coming in pretty hot. i made the adjustments on my radio and Ray launched her again. I think I can move my batteries back some but I'll fly her a bit nose heavy until we get to know eachother better.

Speed. I was pretty fast even at half throttle. Had to be in the 60 MPH range easy. At WOT I'd guess it is close to 80+ MPH. We were flying at a smaller field so I didn't push her to WOT for more than 10 to 15 seconds. There were some kids in the ball field with there Dads doing some baseball drills. The last thing I need it to piss off the others at the park so I was restricted to flying in a pretty small aera for a Jet. Then something [That almost made me crap my paints] happend on the second flight.

I was up about 100ft. coming back toward myself and I lost aileron control for 3 or 4 seconds however it flet like minutes!! Then control came back on line and then it happend again!! Control came back a second time and I landed her safe and sound. It still came in faster than I would have liked, but I"ll get use to her. I'm sure it will slow down to a crawl, she really is a floater. Even with the power turned off it just flys and flys and flys. Don't seem to have much drag at all.

In a nut shell, I like her, very cool plane. I can't wait to fly her again. Looks like the receiver is gonna get switched out before another flight.

CTD

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets