Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-26-2007, 07:01 PM   #51
WingTips24
Mr. ExperiMENTAL

Awards Showcase

150mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (0)

CTD,

Glad to hear about the maiden, those first take offs always get your heart going. Good thing you are good on the sticks or you may have had peices to bring back home. That looks like such a swwt plane glad you had fun, I am sure once you get her all trimmed out she will blow your shoes off. Thanks for giving the story. I love reading flight reports.

Tips
Old 08-26-2007, 07:16 PM   #52
jafoca

Thanks for the report CTD!

This makes me wonder if flapperons are a good idea for the SJ, just to get things slowed down a bit more for landing.

There was someone who was going to do it in another thread I read, however there was no followup. I will have to try them out on my MUS first. Could not be that difficult to mod two servos into that wing....

I received my SJ on friday. Everything looks good in the box, however my order from Tower is still out in the ether somewhere. I start back at college tuesday, so the SJ is going to be slow progress.

I think I am going to do dolly launch for my SJ, and hopefully have someone from the local club maden it - they are mostly nitro guys and EDF is probably foreign to them, so idunno if that will shake out.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:03 AM   #53
PapaMike64
Mode 1 Holdout!

Default Photo of Mods SJ70

Friends,
I am posting a still image showing the modifications I did on my Sport Jet 70.
You will see the two scoops under the nose wheel area, the heat sinc on the ESC and the battery hold down strap that is glued into the bottom using a small 1/16" ply hold down glued down.
Hope this is helpful.
Mike

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SJ70 Mods 1.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	39282  
Old 08-30-2007, 06:52 AM   #54
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

View Crash Test Dummy's Gallery15
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (4)

Jafoca,

You can almost see the two servos in the picture of my V-Diamonds wing. It's an easy mod, the V-Diamond was set up for 1 servo. The factory linkage was very stiff even after working the ailerons by hand so I upgraded to two HS 81's and it fixed it. She is a great flyer. I have heard that you can sometimes loose aileron effictive-ness when in flaperon mode so be careful not to addd in too much on the flaps. You can always add more if needed. I think after I get to konw this airframe better it will come in real nice. I can't wait to get another flight in on her. I changed out the receiver tonight so she is ready for another flight. This Berg 4ch receiver has been rock solid in my Fun Jet. I'll have to send in the other recever and have it checked out.

Papa Mike,

Thanks for the picture. You know what they say.....a picture is worth a thousand words. Have any of you got to fly your Sport Jets latley? How many flights have you guys gotten on your SJ's? I'm itching to fly mine again!!!!

CTD

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	V-D broken wing mount.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	39347  
Old 08-30-2007, 08:29 PM   #55
PapaMike64
Mode 1 Holdout!

Default How Many flights?

CTD,

I don't want to come off as someone who thinks he's this great pilot I just want to share about my Sport Jet.

I have several flights on my Sport Jet 70 with the trike gear setup. The latest was Tuesday night at our club field. Tues. is our trainning nite so there were quite a few people there. They wanted to see it fly and I installed the battery and lit her off down the runway. I knew that something was a bit off because she climbed much faster than normal. I had installed the battery about 1" farther back than normal thinking no big deal but it made quite a difference. I landed and moved the battery to the normal spot and tookoff again. Now all was right with my SJ70. The people at the field really liked the way it flew. I have been slowly working in more acrobatics: rolls, 4 point rolls and looping type of tricks. Inverted flight seems to be very easy for this model.

I have a hard time slowing her down for landing. Most of my landings are a bit on the hot side. The last landing of the nite was really hot. The wind had died down and I set her up for landing the first time and realised I had to go around so I hit the power at about 3 feet above the runway and she jumped to life and I was on downwind in the blink of an eye with the gang yelling "Good Save Man, Wow". I tried again and had to go around again. The 3rd time was the charm but boy was I hot on touchdown. I made a smooth landing touching down near the approach end of the runway and rolled all the way to the end and only stopped in the grass overrun. 1/2 way down the runway I was still going fast enough that if I would have pulled back on the elevator I think she would have flown off again. I tried to taxi back but the grass was too long there so my son hot footed it down to the end and got it for me. I will have to learn to slow it down more, land on the grass next to the runway or get some brakes. My son says I need a drag chute.
Any way I am having a great time flying my Jet.
LOL.
Mike
Old 08-30-2007, 11:57 PM   #56
Major Danger
Cascadia Militia

View Major Danger's Gallery3

Hey Mike,
Just an idea here but I don't know how well it would work. I know it would force you to slow down on yer landings eventually.

Even think about flaperons?

Just a thought.

Visit:
The Republic Of Cascadia
Please sign up for
Support blog for
Old 08-31-2007, 03:00 AM   #57
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by PapaMike64 View Post
CTD,

I don't want to come off as someone who thinks he's this great pilot I just want to share about my Sport Jet.

I have several flights on my Sport Jet 70 with the trike gear setup. The latest was Tuesday night at our club field. Tues. is our trainning nite so there were quite a few people there. They wanted to see it fly and I installed the battery and lit her off down the runway. I knew that something was a bit off because she climbed much faster than normal. I had installed the battery about 1" farther back than normal thinking no big deal but it made quite a difference. I landed and moved the battery to the normal spot and tookoff again. Now all was right with my SJ70. The people at the field really liked the way it flew. I have been slowly working in more acrobatics: rolls, 4 point rolls and looping type of tricks. Inverted flight seems to be very easy for this model.

I have a hard time slowing her down for landing. Most of my landings are a bit on the hot side. The last landing of the nite was really hot. The wind had died down and I set her up for landing the first time and realised I had to go around so I hit the power at about 3 feet above the runway and she jumped to life and I was on downwind in the blink of an eye with the gang yelling "Good Save Man, Wow". I tried again and had to go around again. The 3rd time was the charm but boy was I hot on touchdown. I made a smooth landing touching down near the approach end of the runway and rolled all the way to the end and only stopped in the grass overrun. 1/2 way down the runway I was still going fast enough that if I would have pulled back on the elevator I think she would have flown off again. I tried to taxi back but the grass was too long there so my son hot footed it down to the end and got it for me. I will have to learn to slow it down more, land on the grass next to the runway or get some brakes. My son says I need a drag chute.
Any way I am having a great time flying my Jet.
LOL.
Mike
Thanks for the flight report. Sounds like you had a blast. This plane just don't want to stop flying. I could tell, even with only 2 landings under my belt that this one needed a nice looooooong glide path.

Looking at your picture showing your battery bay, it looks like you have your battery set pretty far back. I don't have any gear on mine so there isn't a servo up in the nose aera. I had 2 3S 1500 Mah batteries in paralle [3000 Mah total] pushed all the way forward. It did feel pretty nose heavy during my maidens. I'll have to play around with the CG some. Where exactly do you run your battery?? Are you using the factory CG point??

Thanks,
CTD
Old 08-31-2007, 03:19 AM   #58
Spencer J
ELECTRIC > GAS

Originally Posted by jafoca View Post
I purchased some CF fabric that I may use with epoxy to cover both sides of the seam.

How will the strength of this compare to replacing the spar such as you have done?
CF fabric can be tricky to handle, it often just falls apart while you are applying it.

Despite that, it does work well and I have had luck reinforcing stab joints and wing ribs with this stuff. Another alternative is to soak weak spots with ca

There is such a word as Jigawatt!!!!

Prject Glbetrtter
Old 08-31-2007, 07:53 AM   #59
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Well, even though I made a sweet Carbon Fiber spar to replace the stock spar. I added the FG cloth and some epoxy to the center of the wing. I only did the top side, I think it will be fine. The heavy duty CF wing jointer was very strong on it's own. I figured for the added weight of the cloth and epoxy was well worth it.

I put her on the scale with my 2 3S 1500 Mah packs loaded in her, it came out to an even 2 lbs. or 32 oz. Then I hit the tear feature on my scale and fired up the motor. Full throttle gave me just a wisker over 20 oz. of thrust. Not quite the 1 to 1 ratio I was hoping for, but I kinda thought I"d need 4S to get me to a 1 to 1 ratio. This plane is plenty fast on 3S. With my batteries re positioned the CG seems almost perfect. It has a slight nose down attitude measured rite at the factory spec. I might get a chance to fly her tomorrow morning.

CTD
Old 08-31-2007, 06:39 PM   #60
PapaMike64
Mode 1 Holdout!

Default Battery placement.

Originally Posted by Crash Test Dummy View Post
Thanks for the flight report. Sounds like you had a blast. This plane just don't want to stop flying. I could tell, even with only 2 landings under my belt that this one needed a nice looooooong glide path.

Looking at your picture showing your battery bay, it looks like you have your battery set pretty far back. I don't have any gear on mine so there isn't a servo up in the nose aera. I had 2 3S 1500 Mah batteries in paralle [3000 Mah total] pushed all the way forward. It did feel pretty nose heavy during my maidens. I'll have to play around with the CG some. Where exactly do you run your battery?? Are you using the factory CG point??

Thanks,
CTD
I have small marks under the wing at the factory CG and I normally have the battery ( 3S 4000mah "Hi Po")just short of the former seperating the nose gear bay and battery bay. This gives me balance right on the marks I have under the wing. This is the best place to fly my bird CG wise. So far I get (at full power) 40Amps and 400 Watts of power. I haven't used my pull gauge yet. I have another battery that has more power that I haven't tried yet, except for testing on the bench. It is a 3S 3700mah "Twenty" that I got from Hobby Lobby and it pulls 50Amps and 500 Watts using my Wattmeter. I had my wattmeter tested at my local hobby shop and it was right on the money. I use the 3700mah battery in my Ripmax Spitfire and my "electro Kadett". They both have AXI2820 motors and are both in the 3 lb. weight. The 3700 mah has more power, but I believe, because it gives it up at such high output I only get about 3/4 the flight time as the 4000mah battery. They are both advertised as 20C but I think they are more like 16C and 12C. I don't know that much about electrical rules and why they do what they do. I like it when my little battery powered model outruns some of the conventional powered models at the field.

I hope I answered your question.
LOL
Mike
Old 10-01-2007, 12:31 AM   #61
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Yes thanks, Mike. Sorry it took me a month to respond to this thread. My computer took a dump on me and I didn't have a back up. A couple of days after my last post I tried to fly my SJ. Again I tossed it and it stalled and went in hard!!! It busted off the rear tail feathers and snapped the fuse just behind the main wing. The nose broke off but that was an easy fix.

After I got the tail and fuse re built, I installed the main wing and found the tail fearther were slightly twisted!!! After thinking about it for bit, I thought I'll just shim the main wing. It worked like a charm, however I had to sand a coffee stir down to about 1/2 of it's orignal thickness in order to get wings to line up perfect. Then I just CA'd the coffee stir to the wing saddle.
Before the repair, the SJ sat in the hanger for 3 weeks before I could bare to look at her. But now she is ready to fly. I had Ray lanch it for me and it nosed up real hard!!!! I had to put full down eleator in her to get her nose down. After I got her flying it was a very fun flight. The winds were very gusty this morning, it made it a fun time for all.

I'm running a 3S set up and it is pretty fast, however I want it to be faster. I'm thinking of getting a 4S 4000 Mah pack from a buddy and trying a 4S set up in her. We would have tried it today but he uses Anderson Power Pole connectors and I use Deans, so we had a connector conflict. Well try it next Sunday, can't wait.

Do you guys find this plane's motor thrust angle makes it nose up on launch?? Each time I launch it I add a little more down elevator but it still wants to nose up pretty steeply upon launch. In flight there is no adverse up or down thrust issues. I can slam it WOT and she just scoots staright and level.

CTD
Old 10-01-2007, 01:04 AM   #62
Spencer J
ELECTRIC > GAS

This thread is now back to life!

Prject Glbetrtter
Old 10-01-2007, 03:17 AM   #63
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I hope so!! Have any of you been flying your SJ's? I can't wait to try 4S on mine. I'm running a Himax 2825/3600 KV motor on 3S currently, 4S should spice it up nicely.

CTD
Old 10-01-2007, 04:40 AM   #64
PapaMike64
Mode 1 Holdout!

Unhappy Sport Jet 70

CTD,
I have gear on my SJ70 so I can't comment on the nose up hand launch issue. I can tell a story about my SJ70 with a tear in my eye.

“Ripley’s Believe It Or Not”

I still don’t understand what happened! I was having the best of late afternoon flying session with my beautiful “Sport Jet 70” from Electric Jet Factory.
I had set my timer for 10 minutes and for ten minutes I had a blast doing aerobatics. I did rolls, point rolls, loops, split-s, half loop with roll outs at the top, inverted flight and full 90degree pylon turns. I would be at the end of the runway almost as soon as I completed the previous turnaround.
My timer signaled it was time to land so I could make a couple of go a rounds if I needed to, and I did. The first approach was too high and a bit fast. The second was still too high and fast but the third approach was just right. The only thing was being a bit close to the left edge of the runway.
Our runway is not very wide and made of fabric joined together and held down by square steel plates with large spikes driven into the ground. Sometimes the spikes work up above the plates somewhat but we try to get them hammered back down into the dirt.
Back to my story. I touched down just at the edge of the runway. I wasn’t worried because I had landed on the weeds/dirt we call grass before without any problem.
My main gear had just touched down when something grabbed hold of the nose gear and shook the aircraft violently breaking the fuselage in half at the wing saddle. The wing was still held to the back of the fuselage and everything from the front of the saddle forward was as if nothing had happened with the exception of the nose gear being bent back a bit. The motor housing was separated from the wing saddle but undamaged. The wing had a hole in the underside about the size of a dime but otherwise undamaged.
I have never seen or heard of this happening before. I ordered a new fuselage and air intake cheeks from Robert at EJF so I can rebuild. This time I will take the time to paint my SJ70 to look a little more original. I will use the landing gear again but will put bigger wheels on it so I can taxi over the weed berm at the edge of the runway. I have had so many great flights on this bird I guess I am glad that there wasn’t more damage but still a little bit bummed out that a good landing could end up like this. I may reinforce the wing saddle with some lightweight fiberglass because it seems to be weak with just thin balsa.
There you have it! The saga of a great flying poor mans jet meeting an untimely end.
We will rebuild!!!!!!!
Best of luck to all.
Mike

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0195.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	42808   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0389.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	42811   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0392.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	42812  
Old 10-07-2007, 05:43 AM   #65
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Wow, sorry to hear that!! Good to hear you are going to rebuild though. Last night I installed a Medusa External BEC in my SJ. Tomorrow I"ll give her a flight with a 4S 4000 Mah pack. I have a feeling it is going to be fun, fun, fun!!! I'll report back tomorrow.

CTD
Old 10-07-2007, 05:48 AM   #66
Spencer J
ELECTRIC > GAS

I hope so!! Have any of you been flying your SJ's?

...if I could sprout wings and fly, I would most likely not be hanging around a RC forum, and definitely not around another flying monkey!

-SJ

Prject Glbetrtter
Old 10-07-2007, 08:22 PM   #67
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I got a couple of flights in with the SJ today. The 1st pack was the 4000 Mah 4S True RC pack I borrowed from another club member. Raynet11 got some great video, but the 25 AMP CC ESC wasn't allowing me to go WOT. It kept cutting out. I thought this might happen. It was pretty fast even at 1/2 throttle. I'll have to get another ESC in her. The 2 video's Ray shot are both on 3S and another video of it flying on 4S. I'll post the links after he gets them loaded today or tomorrow.

CTD
Old 10-08-2007, 02:19 AM   #68
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I just finisher adding a rudder to the FJ. Man it looks good on there if I do say so myself. I wish I could shoot some pix. My computer is down and I'm using a loaner and I'm not going to dump my camera softwhere in this lap top.

THE VIDEO IS HERE!!!
Here is the SJ on 4S
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkwGdvOlnQA

The 3S video is still loading.

CTD
Old 10-08-2007, 04:48 AM   #69
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Ok here is the video of her flying on 3S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmh-AlvDO5E

There are some fast and slow passes. The new rudder is all hooked up to it's servo and it is dialed in. I can't wait to fly her with the NEW RUDDER!!

CTD
Old 10-09-2007, 11:34 PM   #70
PapaMike64
Mode 1 Holdout!

Default CTD's movies

CTD,

Your SJ70 looks great in flight. I was thinking I wouldn't hear from anyone about my unbelievable landing/crash aftermath post.
I have the new fuse almost ready to start installing gear. I am painting this one so it will be a bit better looking I hope.

You seem to be having a ball flying your SJ70 just like I was. I will be very carefull to be on the runway centerline from now on when landing. Looks like you have nice soft grass to land on. If I had that I would make mine a belly lander too. Then the landing I had would never have gone wrong like it did. I still feel a bit picked on but know it was just a fluke.
LOL
Mike
Old 10-10-2007, 01:41 AM   #71
Fangar
Bank Robber

Friends: (2)

Ok here is the video of her flying on 3S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmh-AlvDO5E

There are some fast and slow passes. The new rudder is all hooked up to it's servo and it is dialed in. I can't wait to fly her with the NEW RUDDER!!

CTD

CTD,

Looks great. Thanks. Any idea if this plane will fly with a TP 2100 3S? I don't mind buying a new battery if necessary, but was wondering if the TP would suffice. If not I would imagine the Hyperion 3S 2500 that the EJF sells with the Jet would suffice.

Fangar

Old 10-11-2007, 07:03 AM   #72
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Fangar View Post
CTD,

Looks great. Thanks. Any idea if this plane will fly with a TP 2100 3S? I don't mind buying a new battery if necessary, but was wondering if the TP would suffice. If not I would imagine the Hyperion 3S 2500 that the EJF sells with the Jet would suffice.

Fangar
If you got high C rated 2100's you might be ok. I was running 2 1500 Mah 3s packs in paralle for 3000 Mah. I thing most guys are running 3700 Mah packs. I guess it would depend on how many AMP's/Watts your system pulls.

I was hoping to fly my SJ with her new rudder today. That didn't happen....we had winds gusting to 25++MPH this morning. The weather looks fine for Sunday morning so I'll get to try her out with the rudder then.

Has anybody here tried a rudder set up?

CTD
Old 10-14-2007, 06:19 AM   #73
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I got a chance to fly the Sport Jet Friday morning with the addition of the rudder. At 1st I didn't thing it made a hugh differance, however after a bit of more stick time. I thought it was worth the effort. After I got back home I found I was on low rates during the whole flight. If it don't rain tomorrow I'll get her in the air again and continue testing out the rudder mod.

CTD
Old 10-21-2007, 06:59 PM   #74
warlockgs

I picked up my SJ70 from Robert at EJF on Thursday, spent all night Friday and all day Saturday putting this thing together.

Thank God for the build thread on RCG, without it I'd still be scratching my head wondering how this thing goes together. The instructions are.....minimalist.

PROBLEMS DURING BUILD:
The cutout for the horizontal stabilizer wound up WAY larger than it should, I couldn't see the difference in grain well enough (grr).

No blind nuts in my fan unit (double-grr). Fortunately the great folks at Ace Hardware helped me out. I brought them the screw that was supposed to attach the fan unit to the fuselage, and the ply cutout showing where the nuts should go, and they got me nuts that perfectly fit the cutout AND the screw. Score one for Ace.

I can't figure out how the elevator door goes on. Am I supposed to cut it up so the elevator can travel? Not a big deal, I'll leave it off for additional airflow out of the fuselage.

Any chance one of you folks with the gear on could post a photo showing where it attaches to the plane? I'm using alternate gear and just kind of wanted a reference.

Now I'm just waiting for Competition Hobbies to open up at 12 so I can grab some wheels to put on the gear, and I should have a maiden this afternoon. I'll let you all know how it goes. With any luck she'll fly great, and I'll be running her ragged at TEAM (Tucson Electric Air Meet) next weekend. Anybody from this thread coming?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sj70-profile.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	45196  

Old 10-21-2007, 07:44 PM   #75
PapaMike64
Mode 1 Holdout!

Default Sport Jet 70 landing gear placement

Warlockgs,

If you look up the page for my post a while back and read about the weeds grabing my nose wheel there are photos that show the location of the main gear. It is screwed to a 1/8 inch ply plate that is let into the foam and glued with epoxy.

Mine worked very well untill the freak landing accident I write about in the afore mentioned post. You can see how nice it looked before and how bad it looked after.

I am almost ready to put the radio gear in my rebuild. I am painting this rebuild.

LOL,
Mike

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets