Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-21-2007, 07:31 PM   #76
warlockgs

Friends: (0)

Hi PapaMike,

I saw your post above, it just doesn't make clear if the gear is attached to the forward or rearward portion of the nacelle. Considering you said foam, I'll assume forward portion, towards the backend thereof.

Attaching a 1/8" ply now, thanks!

Old 10-25-2007, 08:15 PM   #77
warlockgs

So after getting a dozen flights in, I've decided to purchase another HS-46MG and go with Flaperons. The stock setup is cool, but in order to slow down the landings and achieve shorter takeoff runs I need flaps.

Fortunately I've spent a whole lot of time with my new DX7 (wow, this thing almost flies the plane for you, once programmed correctly) and have figured out I can use the flight mode switch on the top left to pre-set flap settings for takeoff and landing, seperate from each other and seperate from "normal" flight. The only thing I need to meet the requirements to do so is flaperons, and with a small amount of carving I'll have exactly that

Old 05-12-2008, 05:58 PM   #78
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Friends: (10)

I just pulled mine out and started working on it. I've built more than a few planes but this one leaves a lot to be desired in the information department.
Not much being posted on this plane anymore either. I posted to RC Groups a few days ago looking for motor info and got no response at all.

I have two questions:

1: Fan mounting: I have the Wemotec MF480 that has mounting lugs on both sides. These lugs are in the way of the aft plywood former. It looks like I'll need to cut the lugs at least 1/2" or so. Should I cut them off completely? Also the middle joining plate for the two formers has cutouts for nuts. Wouldn't blind nuts have been a better idea? Anybody have pictures taken during a MF480 installation?

2: Landing gear: From what I can tell it just mounts to the fiberglass at the rear of the intake ducts where they come together. That will last about 3 seconds into the first takeoff roll at my field. I'll need to come up with something much more robust.

I'm not down on the plane. Quite the contrary. I just want to make sure I get it right the first time as I hate having to tear things apart on a brand new plane because I didn't know about a build step.

Joe

The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....
Old 05-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #79
balsadust

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
I just pulled mine out and started working on it. I've built more than a few planes but this one leaves a lot to be desired in the information department.
Not much being posted on this plane anymore either. I posted to RC Groups a few days ago looking for motor info and got no response at all.

I have two questions:

1: Fan mounting: I have the Wemotec MF480 that has mounting lugs on both sides. These lugs are in the way of the aft plywood former. It looks like I'll need to cut the lugs at least 1/2" or so. Should I cut them off completely? Also the middle joining plate for the two formers has cutouts for nuts. Wouldn't blind nuts have been a better idea? Anybody have pictures taken during a MF480 installation?
Joe, Wish I could help but all my sport jets came with a fan unit. I suspect the tabs are cut off and the fan unit glued in, a call to Robert at EJF will verify that.

2: Landing gear: From what I can tell it just mounts to the fiberglass at the rear of the intake ducts where they come together. That will last about 3 seconds into the first takeoff roll at my field. I'll need to come up with something much more robust.
You need to make a 1/8 ply (not lite ply) plate that reaches from the center section of the fuselage to the rear former of the foam inlets. The front and back are epoxy'd to the former and fuselage and is quite strong.

I'm not down on the plane. Quite the contrary. I just want to make sure I get it right the first time as I hate having to tear things apart on a brand new plane because I didn't know about a build step.

Once its built and trimmed you will enjoy a great flying plane, just make sure you have room for a long shallow approach since she tends to float for quite a while before touching down

Joe
balsadust
Old 05-15-2008, 03:51 AM   #80
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Thanks for the reply!

I finally got the MF480 all setup. I'm not real happy about the use of 4mm hardware to hold the fan/nacelle module in. No nuts were provided though I did find some in my old car stuff. They could have used SAE hardware! It would be MUCH easier to find. The provided 4x8mm screws are too short. As yet I haven't been able to find anything local shorter than 4X14mm. I may have to use a bunch of washers as spacers or cut the bolts to size. Had I known this was going to be such a big problem I would have modified to use SAE hardware before gluing anything together!

The landing gear will be the next hurdle after the new Mega motor gets here. I don't want the gear departing the A/C during takeoff or on landing. I will beef up that area big time!

I've seen Mike at BMK Designs fly his several times. That's what prompted me to get my kit. I know it floats like crazy and overshoots almost every landing attempt. I may look into adding speed brakes to mine.

Joe

Old 05-15-2008, 05:17 AM   #81
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

View Crash Test Dummy's Gallery15
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (4)

Turbo Joe,

The stock fan from EJF has threaded nuts built into them to attach the fan. I ran a fan and motor out of a Multiplex Twister and to be honest I dont recall how I mounted it.

My Sport Jet has been in the hanger all Fall and Winter. I think it is going to have to come out and play real soon. I got a nice 4 Cell 20 C 2250 Mah pack to run in her. I also have a bigger ESC for her as well. Last year I was only running a 25 AMP ESC, this year I"m bumping up to a 35 AMP controller. I just looked back in the thread and watched my videos of my Sport Jet. WOW, I forgot how much fun it was to fly!!! Now I'm itching to get her up in the air.

Good luck with your SJ build,
CTD
Old 05-16-2008, 03:39 AM   #82
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I have the fan mounting figured out. I'm waiting on a Mega 16/15/2 motor to get here before I glue it all together.
I got the right wing mount screws today too. All that is left is to come up with a bullet proof main gear mounting. I'll try to work that out this weekend.

Joe

Old 05-19-2008, 08:37 PM   #83
bvincent
Renegade Team Member

Friends: (1)

Here's some pic's of mine taken at SEFF I also have some video This has our new JS-1400 70mm EDF motor. These are with a Jeti Opto 70 ESC, and TP3300 4S battery about 1100 watts

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1863011

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5669.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	66508

Name:	seff 278.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	66509

Name:	SEFF 2008 Thursday 014.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	66510

Name:	SEFF 2008 Thursday 015.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	66511

Name:	SEFF 2008 Thursday 016.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	66512
Old 05-20-2008, 01:47 AM   #84
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by bvincent View Post
Here's some pic's of mine taken at SEFF I also have some video This has our new JS-1400 70mm EDF motor. These are with a Jeti Opto 70 ESC, and TP3300 4S battery about 1100 watts

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1863011

Hey, that thing ZINGS along very nicley with your new motor. My Buddy Matt just ordered that motor for his HL F-5 Tiger. It flys good on the stock gear but it's not real fast. I'm sure your motor will take her up a couple of clicks.

How do you like the Sport Jet? It is such a nice easy jet to fly. Mine has been in storage all winter. Mine is set up as a belly lander, my grass field would make a mess out of the LG.

<<<<<<SPORT update Jet Update<SPORT>>>>>>>

I pulled mine down yesterday. I found the Elevator servo was messed up so I'll have to replace it. The Aileron and Rudder [Yes I did say/type Rudder] were both fine. All I need to do is fix the Elevator servo add a receiver and a ESC and she will be ready to go. Last night I put in the receiver and ESC but I was too tired to do the servo. I'll put the servo in sometime this week. I may have her ready to remaiden this coming Sunday, weather permittting. Mother nature hasn't been smiling on us this spring. Lots of rain and high winds, yuck.

There might be pix back in the thread of the rudder mod. I can't wait to fly her again with the rudder. I only got 1 or 2 flights in on her after I made the mod, the weather turned ugly last fall and I put her into storage for the winter. So, I"m very excited to fly her again, I can't even recall how well the rudder worked.

I'm running a Himax 2825-3600 KV motor. It's the stock motor and fan combo that comes in the Multiplex Twister. I purchased the power system from Termite. He put an even higher power system in his Twister, so I got a good deal on the Twisters fan and motor.

CTD
Old 05-22-2008, 03:00 AM   #85
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Hey guys, my Mega 16/15/2 got here last night. I installed it in the MF480 fan and got right under 400 watts @ 38 amps. It should get considerably more watts on a 4S setup if I get around to forcing the bigger pack in there.

Was hoping to fly it this weekend but because of delays in getting this motor I'm working on yet another project. I'll be getting back to this one as soon as possible.

Joe

Old 05-22-2008, 04:30 AM   #86
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I'm hoping to get mine ready for Sunday. All I need to do is replace the Elevator servo and add an External BEC so I can run my 4S pack in there.

T-Joe,

Are you running 3 or 4S on the Mega? The numbers you are reporting make me think you are running 3S. Yes?? No??

CTD
Old 05-22-2008, 04:38 AM   #87
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Yep. Initial test was on 3S. I'll try to do a 4S test soon. Most likely not until mounted in the airframe.

Joe

Old 05-22-2008, 05:14 AM   #88
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

4S will really ROCK if you have the batteries to support the AMP draw. Good Luck, keep us posted.

CTD
Old 05-22-2008, 05:28 AM   #89
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by Crash Test Dummy View Post
4S will really ROCK if you have the batteries to support the AMP draw. Good Luck, keep us posted.

CTD
Now it's gonna be a week or three. Don't hold your breath.

Joe

Old 05-22-2008, 03:16 PM   #90
bvincent
Renegade Team Member

Friends: (1)

Taking mine out again tomorrow I love the SJ!! Solid performer, and it always impresses those at the field. I added a rudder to mine so that's how I can do knife edges We are having a huge electric event here in LA in 3 weeks, so I need to be sure the fleet is ready!
Old 05-22-2008, 03:20 PM   #91
termite
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

Joe,
I'm wondering if your voltage isn't sagging as you should be drawing around 50 amps with the 16/15/2 on 3S

If ya want a sweet 4S setup use the Mega 16/20/2 (750 watts)or 16/17/2 for around 900
watts!!!!! Now Thats fun!

A good 4S pack will toast this motor (16/15/2) brother!

Randy
Old 05-23-2008, 12:58 AM   #92
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by termite View Post
Joe,
I'm wondering if your voltage isn't sagging as you should be drawing around 50 amps with the 16/15/2 on 3S

If ya want a sweet 4S setup use the Mega 16/20/2 (750 watts)or 16/17/2 for around 900
watts!!!!! Now Thats fun!

A good 4S pack will toast this motor (16/15/2) brother!

Randy
Randy,

I should have paid closer attention to voltage under load but didn't. 50 Amps on 3S! I'll try a couple of different packs when I can get back to this project. And to think I was happy just picking up 100 watts over the Align motor I was going to use.

By the way...thanks to all of you that have posted great info to help me along in this project. I hope to get other things out of the way soon and get this baby in the air where it belongs!

Joe

Old 05-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #93
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

It was very windy today but I flew the SJ anyway. It needed a ton of elevator trim. I brought it in after a dozen passes and adjusted the trim in the radio. The second flight was much better but the winds were getting stronger and stronger so I brought her in foe a landing. That wasn't easy with the strong winds, this plane don't want to quit flying! Got her down safe and sound. Winds are now up to 20 but gusting to 35!! No more flying today.

CTD
Old 06-02-2008, 02:56 AM   #94
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

This AM was PERFECT!! We flew out butts off. I got a nice flight in with my SJ and Raynet11 got some video too. I'm sure he will post it as soon at he downloads it off his camera.

Here are 2 videos Ray shot last summer.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Pmh-AlvDO5E

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XkwGdvOlnQA

CTD
Old 10-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #95
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

Is this jet still available anywhere?
Old 10-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #96
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Long out of production. I still have mine. Motor/fan installed and mounted. Gear mounted. Wing joined etc. Just needs minor finishing. I'd consider selling it but shipping would be crazy expensive because of the assembled wing and the weight of a box to protect it all. I should pull it out and see if I can sell it local. I really need the room and I'll likely never finish this one.

Joe

Old 10-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #97
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

I'm not ready for a Jet and never thought I would be interested in one, really, but a picture of yours popped up and it caught my eye. I have a thing for high wing aircraft and this thing just looks very cool. I'll keep it in mind though.

I feel less bad now for not having started my kit for the building clinic. You should get that thing finished. It looks like it would be great fun.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #98
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

I've seen a few of these fly and the only "bad" trait they seem to have is that they're so slick they take forever to bleed off speed so you can land. They float and float and float. Super fast and pretty aerobatic though. Needs a speed brake to get the blasted thing to quit flying though.

Joe

Old 10-30-2012, 01:48 AM   #99
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Turner, I know it's not the same, and not a high wing, but here's something similar.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

I don't own a dragonfly, just thought I'd I'd throw it out there as a similar plane. I think that sport jet looks great, too. Sorry I missed out on those, but I think I just started flying in 2008-ish.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:11 AM   #100
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Wow, I miss mine. Don't recall its experation date but I still have the main wing and the tail feathers.

CTD

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets