Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-03-2007, 04:09 AM   #1
seiser01

Friends: (0)
Default Carbon Fiber control rods

Hey all,

I'm converting a Guillows Thomas Morse Scout to an RC park flyer. I'm using a GWS Pico system with carbon fiber control rods. AT the servo, I simply bound a small piece of wire with a Z-bend in it to the rod using thread and glue. This seems very strong and light. At the control horns however I would like an adjustable attachment. Any suggestions? Du-bro makes a micro quick connect and I am considering that but it is for .040 wire and my rods are .052 inches. Do they make special conectors for CF rods?
Old 08-03-2007, 05:31 AM   #2
fhdavenport
Unofficial Gravity Tester

Hi,

I have a Katana MD coming. It has carbon fiber linkage also, so I'm looking at the options for linkage/connection to cf too. I found parts at http://www.centralhobbies.com. At the top of the page is a button called "pushrods". They put an exploded diagram of the parts they recommend.

I dunno' just yet what to recommend, but the ez connector, (it's a sleeve with a pinch type screw), doesn't appear to be the way to go with cf. It's too brittle. I have to wait until my plane gets here before I can eyeball the situation.

Sorry I'm not more help, but someone here will step up. I shall return to lurking.

Cheers,

Frank
Old 08-03-2007, 05:25 PM   #3
fhdavenport

Okay, I found another site. Try http://www.darolcady.com for an adhesive called "Flash Black". This sounds like great stuff for use with CF.

That first site has a lot of good info on it also about linkage in general.

these are both CF guys.

Cheers,

Frank
Old 08-03-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
fhdavenport

OOps. Sorry. the URL is http://www.darrolcady.com. Sorry. typo.

F.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:29 PM   #5
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

View Rabbitcreekok's Gallery8
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (30)

The way I have set up my indoor flyers with carbon fiber rods is to use a figure 4 end or an L bend or a Z bend in the proper size wire and use heat shrink tubing to attach the wire to the CF rod.

On the servo end, stick the wire and the CF rod inside the heat shrink where they overlap and shrink the tubing with a heat gun. Then wick CA into the joint. That will lock the joint in place.

At the control surface end, make the same kind of connection, but shrink the tubing to the point where you can still move the joint. Adjust the control surface to neutral, then shrink the heat shrink completely. If all is straight, wick CA into the joint.

You may have to use a couple of layers of tinfoil behind the tubing to keep the heat off the airplane.

If you ever need to adjust the control surface, just cut away the tubing and redo the connection.

You could use a straight piece of wire on the end of the CF rod and then use the quick connectors. You just cannot tighten the connector down on the CF rod because it will shatter and fail.

Jim
AMA 735658
Old 08-04-2007, 05:19 AM   #6
seiser01

Default CF Rods

Thanks guys. Great info. I will be checking out those links.

I was going to try to use a quick connect directly on the rod but your comments made me reconsider. I've flown some larger scale RC and have gotten used to the du-bro threaded rod ends for adjustments so I guess I'm spoiled. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:27 PM   #7
eflight-ray

Friends: (3)

Here's one from way back that I still occasionally use to give a little adjustment in a push rod.

The main wire, (I use 18swg wire), has a 'zig-zag' bend in it that can be opened up or closed slightly for adjustment. I then use a 'keeper' wire at the horn/servo ends, (22swg), to retain the push rod and still allow easy removal.

Hope the picture explains it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zigzagbend.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	37305

Ray in Wales
As I get older I think more and more about the hereafter.
I walk into a room, and think, 'now what was it that I'm here after?' :o
Old 08-05-2007, 04:57 AM   #8
seiser01

That's interesting Ray. I may give that a wirl.

Thanks

Steve

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners