Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-06-2005, 10:54 PM   #1
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Friends: (9)
Default Wattage Cessna 182

See it here. There are a few threads on this plane on RC Groups but we need more scale stuff here on WattFlyer so I thought I'd get this one going.

I just picked mine up two days ago. At a hundred bucks it ain't cheap but I wanted a really nice looking 400 size Cessna and this is the best one I've seen so far. PLUS it doesn't come with the worthless Wattage cobalt motor! The fuse looks exceptionally nice. Lots of scale details are molded in. Little details like molded fairings around the landing gear and wing struts make a huge difference in scale appearance. The only thing I really don't like in the kit aside from the hardware is the blue decals. They make it look too "toyish". The red looks good though. I'm going to have to use the blue stuff for templates to make red or some other color decals with. I've been looking at Airliners.net and some of the newer 182's have some cool looking swoopy graphics on them. I may try to copy that scheme. They also use a 3 bladed prop.

The specs call for 22-28 ounces weight. That's probably with the cobalt motor and NiMh batteries. I'll be using Li-Po's and a brushless motor. I want to shoot for the 22 ounce number. We'll see what happens though. It may be pretty tough to do.

I doubt I'll be doing much with it right away but when I do it will definitely get flaps and I'll probably put the Curtek navigation lights in it too.

If anyone else has one please feel free to add to the post. I'd love to steal any cool ideas you've come up with.

Joe

The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....
Old 11-07-2005, 01:10 AM   #2
Rugar

View Rugar's Gallery5
Friends: (12)

Looking forward to your build. I have been looking at this one but the price tag has been holding me back so far.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:57 AM   #3
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Gerald,

It's all relative. If you want a Cessna that looks especially good then this is the one that is really worth the money. I got a chance to look at the World Models Cessna @ $79.99 and it wasn't even a close choice. The Wattage looks 10 times better. I'm pretty sure that after I finish this I'll be getting the Great Planes .40 size Cessna 182 and doing an electric conversion. I have a soft spot in my head for general aviation aircraft. Cessna's in particular.

I also have a Mountain Models Cessna 180 that is a beautiful kit.The picture of it is below. It's just a bit small. I like things a little bigger. Plus I prefer tricycle gear.

If you can throw the bucks together then buy the 182. If for no reason other than its appearance.

Joe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PreMaiden 01.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	3558

Old 11-07-2005, 09:39 PM   #4
dogfight

Friends: (0)

Hobby people has the Wattage 182 when on sale for around $60.
Turbojoe could you give me info on the curtek nav. lights. Thanks
Old 11-07-2005, 10:53 PM   #5
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by dogfight View Post
Hobby people has the Wattage 182 when on sale for around $60.
Turbojoe could you give me info on the curtek nav. lights. Thanks
If I see THAT sale I'll grab another for sure.
HERE is the link to Curtek. Expect at least a month to get them in the mail. Matthew is pretty lousy at e-mail responses too. All the hassle is worthwhile though. I've had mine for a few years and had them several planes. They are the best.

Joe

Old 11-08-2005, 01:55 AM   #6
dogfight

Thank You, I wonder how this Co. compares to Ram Electronics in Chicago.

I assume Curtek is geared more for small aircraft. Rick
Old 11-08-2005, 02:27 AM   #7
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Curtek lights are generally regarded as the best you can buy. Ram has been around forever but their light kits aren't as complete as Curtek, are heavier, cost more and require an external power source.

The Curtek's are extremely bright. They'd work on anything short of a quarter scale plane. I have them on my T-Rex heli right now. They are actually visible in bright sunlight. They are powered from the RX and the current draw is negligible. I have them on a "Y" cable on the throttle channel on the heli. No glitches and no problems whatsoever.

Joe

Old 11-08-2005, 03:38 AM   #8
dogfight

Thanks for the info. As it happens I do giant scale also, but don't have lights on them.
I'm considering lights for the 182 because I have never used them and because they would probably look great since they are bright in the daytime.
I may just use a rotating beacon on the tail or go full on lights. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
I was told the cobalt motor reccomended was good power but the flight times were short with the battery suggested. Any thoughts on that?
I like a good amount of extra power. Best Regards
Old 11-08-2005, 10:51 PM   #9
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

While they are visible in daytime they're not going to be bright enough for navigational aids. Night time, yes. While flying in parking lots at night I've had people pull in and say at first they thought they had seen a UFO. With all the lights on it's pretty spectacular.

There is no rotating beacon available but you can set up steady, flashing and landing lights from the module. The landing lights can be switched on and off from the TX too.

I have an MPI cobalt 400 that I bought before brushless motors were widely available. It's still new in it's box and will probably rot away there. It's too heavy and they draw way too many amps. Brushless is the only way to go now. They are so cheap now that they are becoming fairly competitive with brushed motors. You get much longer flight time and they'll last forever provided you don't over amp or crash them. I haven't decided what motor mine will end up with. I've got a bunch of different outrunners and geared setups. It'll all depend on how much it ends up weighing in the end.

Joe

Old 11-09-2005, 07:19 AM   #10
watt_the?!
Super Contributor

View watt_the?!'s Gallery38
Friends: (5)

ok ill add my build to this thread...just started the W Cessna 182 also.

the first thing i notice is how to remove the entire motor mount or get hold of one of those extensions they are running on the cobalt motor...

tim.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:00 AM   #11
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

I just started a "trial fit" of parts and I think it's going to be a nice looking bird when completed. It needs a few modifications here and there like the motor mount spacing you brought up Tim. It seems that it only works with that incredibly long prop adapter they call for. I think I'm going to use the Himax 2812-850 outrunner. The prop adapter sits about 3/4" or so too far inside the cowl though. I'm gonna have to do some surgery on that mount. I'm not thrilled with the wing nut mounting either. I'll be beefing up the area for sure.

I've been looking through Airliners.net a lot and notice different vintage 182's have some subtle differences. The one that I'm having trouble deciding on is the landing lights. On some they are in the leading edge of the left wing. In others there are a pair in the front of the cowling. It'll probably be less trouble to just put them in the cowl seeing as the holes are already there. They would look cool in the wing though. A 3 blade prop may end up on it as well if I can find a decent spinner.

Joe

Old 11-15-2005, 02:54 AM   #12
Gullwing

View Gullwing's Gallery5

I built this plane about a year ago. I saw it and just had to have it. Got it with the good ole cobalt. That went in the trash after the first flight. I have brushless motor with gearbox, and lipos. It flys real smooth and easy. It is pretty rugged too, I have hit the ground pretty hard a couple of times and put it into a tree. Minor damage all times. Just about took my wife's head off with it.LOL (ie crash forum) I have been robbing parts off of it for other planes, but decided to put it back together yesterday. I am going to take it out this weekend a do some no stress flying.......GW

Where's the muffler bearing on this thing
Old 11-15-2005, 03:07 AM   #13
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

I "started" on mine Saturday. I stripped the covering from one wing. When I pulled the corrugated plastic off the flap area I was surprised to find there was no wood inside the plastic. The trailing edge is just like a normal wing. I expected to have to cut the flaps out. This is going to be too easy! I'll do the flaps just like the ailerons. They'll be empty inside. The plastic will be the flying surface with a skeleton frame.

I need to finish about 6 other projects so I can devote a little more time to this one. I think it's going to be a pretty nice plane when done. So far I'm pretty happy with the purchase even though it wasn't cheap at a hundred bucks.

Joe

Old 11-16-2005, 08:51 PM   #14
watt_the?!
Super Contributor

ok heres the WIP on mine...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image6.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	3883
Old 12-01-2005, 06:55 AM   #15
watt_the?!
Super Contributor

Default maidened successful

flew mine last week. flew great...a bit fast on the 9 x 6 prop though.

did inverted outside loops, spins, stalls, great inverted..

the only thing was that the gear is a bit too small for grass...had to takeoff from a cricket pitch and missed the pitch on the landing for a not so graceful finish..

flew very well though...cant complain at all.

one of those mpjet 28D type motors and 1550mah lipo (3s) did the job perfectly.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	4246

Name:	Image2.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	4247

Name:	Image3.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	4248
Old 12-01-2005, 05:08 PM   #16
Gullwing

View Gullwing's Gallery5

Which Mp Jet was it? I have one laying around. I am always messing with this plane seeing what I can do to make fly better. I use this plane to try out new things on, I figure if it crashes no big deal.........GW

Old 12-01-2005, 08:17 PM   #17
watt_the?!
Super Contributor

ac 28/7 35D.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:49 PM   #18
Gullwing

View Gullwing's Gallery5

Thanks, I have the red one and looking at the specs I figure it will put a few more watts and trust and still only be pulling around 16 amps. I think I will give it a try........GW

Old 02-24-2006, 02:42 AM   #19
Penko

Send a message via MSN to Penko
Default Look My Cessna

Cessna 182 The Wordl Models And Os .15 Engine
Fly Exelent...::

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	varias 011.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	7847
Old 02-24-2006, 01:17 PM   #20
Greg Lewis

Turbo Joe, I was going to buy the World Model's Cessna for Static Display. After reading your comments, maybe I should consider buying the Wattage Cessna. Those Horner wing tips caught my attention on the world model Cessna.
My LHS has both Cessnas in stock. Please help me decide.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:59 AM   #21
jcopter

Hey H.People Had Them on sale on presidents day for 50 Buck Could not help it and now I have one
I noticed a couple of problems my wing has antidihedrial I will have to fix it also it does not fit in to the saddle well and the front landing strut will as is will only turn in one direction as it will hit the firewall when it goes the other direction I will try to bend it forward to get swing in both directions Hope it does not break!!!

What kind of Brushless Is A direct replacement for that colbalt? As It seems that the long extention is hard to get I have 2 other planes that use this power system and I want to just drop in a new engine /and what prop?
Any help Thanks
Also which 3 blade prop are you guys talking about

Thanks Again Jack
Old 03-02-2006, 05:39 PM   #22
ebob
Long Time e-flier

Default Wattage Cessna 182

I found one of these at LHS that someone had converted to a taildragger.
Other than that it's completely stock, so I'm looking to this thread for hints/tips.
Thanks, Guys!
Old 03-02-2006, 06:02 PM   #23
alienx
Super Contributor

View alienx's Gallery38
Club: Edison Park Flying Field
Friends: (4)

Originally Posted by jcopter View Post
Hey H.People Had Them on sale on presidents day for 50 Buck Could not help it and now I have one
I noticed a couple of problems my wing has antidihedrial I will have to fix it also it does not fit in to the saddle well and the front landing strut will as is will only turn in one direction as it will hit the firewall when it goes the other direction I will try to bend it forward to get swing in both directions Hope it does not break!!!

What kind of Brushless Is A direct replacement for that colbalt? As It seems that the long extention is hard to get I have 2 other planes that use this power system and I want to just drop in a new engine /and what prop?
Any help Thanks
Also which 3 blade prop are you guys talking about

Thanks Again Jack
I paid a little more. That's a really good deal.

Mine too has wing/saddle problems, and maybe fuselage problems too. Everything seems crooked. But I'm working that out. Seems like other people have had good experiences so I am hopeful with mine.

keep us posted. I'm curious to see how your build goes. Mine is stalled for a little bit at the tail mounting step while I wait for a new fuselage to come.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:13 PM   #24
littlephoenix

View littlephoenix's Gallery12
Friends: (3)

hey guys, so here is a video of my Wattage Cessna 180, i stripped out the brushed electronics and put in my own super brushless outrunner, straightened out the wings and added ailerons, this thing is now a super mini flying plane, so much fun
here is the video and please rate my video and comment, thanks so much.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft