Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-07-2005, 05:58 AM   #1
Duster52

View Duster52's Gallery2
Friends: (0)
Default F-27 Stryker

This would be a good place to start up another discussion forum for the stryker. It's very popular and is normally bought as an RTF (Ready To Fly) with tx, batteries, charger and all electronics in the plane. As such, it flies ok. But, most of the RC'ers I know are buying all replacement parts and building their own! We use all kinds of motors and batteries, some use wooden ailerons and tail fins, and all the fuse parts are cheap compared to the RTF version. Mine was $48 plus shipping! The RTF is somewhere around $170.

I have mine setup with a BP-21 brushless motor, BP 18 amp ESC and Thunder Power 2100 11.1v Li-Po. I use a 7x6 prop and get speeds in excess of 70 mph. Others have gone above 115 mph! That one takes great skill just to keep it in your sight!

The setup of mine is very popular and is really low priced for a brushless setup. The motor and ESC bought together is usually around $58.00!

Sticks
Retired Fireman and Pilot
http://www.weflyelectric.com my home RC vids
Old 08-07-2005, 07:18 PM   #2
Crashalott
Super Contributor

View Crashalott's Gallery28
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (8)
Default F-27 Stryker

Hey there Duster,
I am working on a stryker too and have problems getting the cog correct and balance. I got a fuse and fins and motor(stock 480 brushed) put some of my electrics in taped everything down, gave it a launch and it went straight down into the deck. No damage but my pride.Ha When the eng. was running it seemed to push the nose down even though the cog was right at the launch cutout on the bottom of the plane. I tryed to glide the plane next to see if it would without power. Landed on the tail and broke the tip from right wing. Now also in the running of the motor with an old esc that i had laying around the esc got hot and no longer will work. The hatch asy is on backorder so i have to wait for that and will have to order an esc. What size esc does that 480 motor take? Any other hints or tips will be appreciated.
Crashalott
Old 08-08-2005, 12:46 AM   #3
Duster52

View Duster52's Gallery2

Hi there, Crashalott. You must have heard of me and got your name that way!

I am not sure what you mean about your cg being at the launch cutout. It should be right on the two small dimples inside the cutout.

I need a little more information and I will try to help. You are saying that you launched it with power and it went nose down? Then you just glided it and it landed on it's tail? This second one sounds like you may be tail heavy. But first things first:

When you throw the plane you need to have full throttle and give a really good toss that is close to level flight. Maybe a TINY bit up. If you do this wrong the plane will stall and go down on it's nose! Are you tossing the plane or do you have someone doing that part for you? That would be the best, but, if you are like me you are by yourself most of the time!

I need to know what the amp rating was on that ESC you used. As for a different ESC, it depends on what batteries and prop you are using. I need to know the prop size and battery specs. If the prop is too big and you have a battery that will give you a lot of amps then you may have overloaded the ESC, but, could be fixed with a different prop.

It's not really the motor that determines how many amps you will use. The motor is just a way of getting the power from the batteries to the prop! The only difference between one motor and another motor is that one might let you have the amps you need without burning up! If you take a correct motor for a given plane and put a prop on it that is too big you will cause it to pull to many amps and burn out something, either the ESC or motor or both. You can also change the amps pulled by lowering or increasing the volts of your battery pack. An 11 v battery will cause your motor to pull way more amps than, say a 7 v battery.

I will be glad to help if you can answer the questions above. I don't know everything, but I know where to get answers! I know all this may be confusing, but welcome to the wonderful world of Electric RC!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stryker 020.jpg
Views:	1660
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	330  

Sticks
Old 08-08-2005, 12:16 PM   #4
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Ok on the cog, i will set it at the 2 small holes in the cutout.The prop is the standard one that horizonhobby sells for the stryker. Motor is the 480. The esc i burned out was out of an old biplane i had and i don't know the amp rating. I have ordered a new 15/25amp esc. When i launched the plane and it went to the ground nose first i had the batt. all the way forward in the hatch and i didn't have a cover on it.I am waiting now for the hatch covers to come in at horizonhobby. The batt. i am using is a 7.4v lipo 1800mah
Thanks for your help
Crashalott
Old 08-08-2005, 10:20 PM   #5
Duster52

View Duster52's Gallery2

Crashalott, Parkzone recommends a 7 cell 8.4V 900 mAh battery for that motor. Others are flying with larger batteries, but keep in mind that a 1800 mAh battery will be twice as heavy as the 900 mAh so will make it a little more difficult to fly. I think you may need the 8.4V tho. You could get by with a 9.6V which would give you more power, but it would shorten the life of the motor somewhat if you kept it at full throttle all the time.

The prop should be ok. Someone else may step in here to help with your brushed setup. I am using a brushless motor and Li-Po battery with mine. This motor and ESC is around $55 total cost. Really cheap for a brushless setup. However, you would have to make your own motor mount. There are a few different home made ones that I could help you with. If you are interested just let me know.

Otherwise, feel free to ask question! If I don't know the answer I can probably find it or show you where to get it. Hopefully, more stryker guys will come on and offer help. Good luck!

Sticks
Old 08-08-2005, 10:52 PM   #6
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Hey thanks for the info on the stryker. The batt. is a Lipo 2s and only weighs less than 3oz. At this time i am not interested in going brushless with this plane. Maybe some day. I see you are from Arkansas, my family came from Jonesborro, Ark.
Crashalott
Old 08-08-2005, 11:04 PM   #7
Duster52

View Duster52's Gallery2

I thought the 7.4V was a typo since you did not say Li-Po. Not a problem. Your half way there for the brushless for $55.

I live 45 miles SouthWest of Jonesboro. I went to college there, my son is going there now and daughter graduated this last Spring with a Physics major. She is going to teach here for a while.

You should be able to fly your stryker with that Li-Po, even tho the recommended voltage from factory is 8.4 The lighter weight will make up for some of it. You just will not have "extra" power to get you out of trouble. All else said, voltage is where your power is.

Good Luck!

Sticks
Old 08-09-2005, 12:31 AM   #8
Duster52

View Duster52's Gallery2

You've got one of the best setups there is for the stryker, DoctorAudio! That is my next step. I have seen two of them here at the club and they are unbelieveable! Only they are using TP 2100 11.1 V which are lighter than yours. You have more flight time, tho!

Crashalott will have more problems with the CG because of the power limit he has. Yours could fly at most CG settings! It would fly without wings! My BP-21 takes me vertical with no problem. It's a good startup for those new to brushless. My setup has been clocked at 74 mph. The two guys I mentiioned above have been clocked (by a state trooper member) at 121 mph! I have watched them go from the ground to a spec in the sky in just a few seconds!

I fly mine just fine and when I am fully comfortable about those higher speeds I will move on up!

Sticks
Old 08-09-2005, 03:39 AM   #9
Duster52

View Duster52's Gallery2

Thanks. I've been flying a couple years. I have some videos from when I first started on up until two weeks ago. I've been flying the Stryker for about three months now, along with some of my slower planes. If anyone likes watching home videos of RC flying just click on my screen name and select my homepage.
All the videos are listed. Just click and they should play.

Sticks
Old 08-09-2005, 06:06 PM   #10
willl33

Hi everyone, are all you guys from the States?
Stryker also becoming popular over here in the UK, trouble is most people still think RC is as expensive as it was when they were younger i.e the 70s in my case and are amazed how cheap everything is these days,
I'm on my 3rd, maybe it was'nt such a good plane too learn with? But now got the hang of can't really imagine flying anything else.
Latest Stryker has "justgofly" DF400 brushless and runs on 3cell lipoly
much easier to fly than standard set up, extra power reallys help the handling
As far as repairs go, I consider myself somewhat of an expert!(plenty of practise) thank heavens for the hot melt glue gun and gaffer tape.
Fuses hard to come by here, always on back order, anyone in the states know of anydealers who'll deal with the uk? U.S. prices very good here due to exchange rates
Old 08-09-2005, 06:27 PM   #11
Edd Spidell

Default F-27 Fuses...

Hi Willl33,

Brands Hobby (www.brandshobby.com) had several in the store along with the rest of the build parts while I was there a week ago. Their phone number here in the States is (401)231-5380, and ask for Andy. By the way, I have a gentleman visiting my home today from Wales. He works for the U.K. division of Textron, my wife's company. Although he is coming here to kayak and dinner/brew, maybe I can get him on a buddy box .

Best Regards,

Edd Spidell
Old 08-09-2005, 09:59 PM   #12
Edd Spidell

Default Pass it on...

Hi DoctorAudio,

Around the three clubs I fly at, when a newcomer shows up, I explain that this is all really "Ex-Lax for the Mind"...

Best Regards,

Edd
Old 08-10-2005, 03:44 AM   #13

what paint has anyone had success with on these foamies? I have tried testors acryl and it is not very durable. Any suggestions??
thanks
Old 08-10-2005, 07:19 AM   #14
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

View Crash Test Dummy's Gallery15
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (4)
Default Paint on Strykers

Originally Posted by avatar71
what paint has anyone had success with on these foamies? I have tried testors acryl and it is not very durable. Any suggestions??
thanks
I'm building my 3rd Stryker now. It's in the garage with fiber glass on one side curing. If you glass the stryker it might give the paint a good surface to hold on to. I guess I'll find out. I'm running the following....................

Himax 2815/3000KV
5X3 prop
3 Cell TP's
40 AMP ESC
Electron 6 receiver
Hs-81 servos

Love it, goes like stink!!!

I also just tried something in the other driection,,,I call it Stryker, How far can you take it, in reverse!!! Going aginst the trend of making the fastest Stryker in the free world. I put a stick mount on the back and hung a Himax 2816/0890 outrunner swinging a 11X7 prop. I enlarged the elevons to give more control at slower speeds. WOW!!! This thing can climb !!
It's like your running a Cummins twin turbo diesel. Soooo much thrust. Try one like this for your next Stryker build, you'll like it.

CTD
Old 08-10-2005, 12:21 PM   #15

Originally Posted by DoctorAudio
Pactra paint works great and no need to glue!
which one? the lexan spray paint?
Old 08-11-2005, 08:28 PM   #16
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Default Cut it to the bone?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!

[quote=DoctorAudio]6X4 APC prop
7X7 Graupner Speed-Prop
6.3X4 prop
5X5
5.5 X4.5
5.25X4.75
All these props work great on the Stryker. The bigger the prop, the more thrust. The more thrust the more amps. So, don't change the prop without checking it on a amp meter. Cause, if you overamp the battery, you will destroy it.
Also watch your fingers when you have them bigger props on, my prop cut my frineds finger to the bone , So watch the fingers or they may be nubs!
Hahahahahah! The funny thing was he said , keep flying!

Have Fun guys!

WOW!! I'd better be real careful then.I just built a Stryker with a Outrunner on it running a 11X7 prop. I have tossed it up more than 20X without a nick. Man this set up is very cool. It's about the same speed as stock, maybe a little faster, but you point the nose up and it will climb almost forever. It's like the power of a Mack truck in a foamy!!

I dove her in from about 200 ft high at full throttle then chop the throttle and she slows real fast with that big prop dragging. It's like I threw a boat anchor out. This is as much fun as my 90+MPH stryker.

CTD
Old 08-11-2005, 11:02 PM   #17
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Default Heres what I did.

Man, I didn't know you could put them on there! With a 7 inch prop I over amp my 2250Mah 16C batteries!

Have fun!
I put a stick mount in the slot where the motor wires go. The back of the fuse and the elevons were modified to work with the 11 inch prop. This was my 1st stock Stryker that I crashed many times when i was learning to fly. It is pulling only a little over 14 AMPs at WOT. It is very easy on my 2100TP 3 cell.

CTD
Old 08-14-2005, 04:37 PM   #18
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Default Latex spray paint

Krylon makes a water based spray paint called kids tuff. It works very good on EPP foam and they make the same colors in a brush on version. The only thing is they only have a few colors. I'm in the process of building a Stryker that I have fiber glassed. With FG over the entire air frame I was able to use regular solvent based spray paint, I just apply a few light coats. This is my 1st time glassing and I'm not very happy with the results. However the main goal of glassing was to firm up the air frame and it has done that. I'll wory about making a pretty one on my next FG project. I'll post pix at a later date, no time now.

CTD
Originally Posted by avatar71
which one? the lexan spray paint?
Old 08-17-2005, 01:32 AM   #19
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Default Stronger Stryker is my 1st name CTD is my second name.

DoctorAudio,

I just finished fiber glassing my Stryker. Very stiff! I flew it tonight for the 1st time and i thought the glass would slow it down some...............Well I think it seems faster!!! I don't have any way [radar gun] to confirm this but, I really was cookin!!! Maybe the smoother surface had something to do with it. Try Glassing one you'll like the results. Most people use .75 oz or .50 weight cloth, I wanted Sherman Tank strong so i used 2 oz cloth !! Thats why I am sooooo surprized at how fast it was going.

CTD

Hello guys was playing today and put a 4S pack in my Stryker, with the extra volts I can't run a prop bigger than a 4.75 X 4.75. Because it over amps the batteries by one amp!

Man that is an extra 1100 Rpm roughly, it does not lift off let it used to. But man does it move faster than it's older brother.
This is a BL4-15-3 motor with 2580KV.
2580 X 11.1 volts = 28638 RPM Max Amps 31 345 Watts
2580 X 14.8 volts = 38184 RPM Max Amps 38 565 Watts
I have also noticed that it is about 6 more mins of flight time.
Awesome more speed and more time, works great. I could get more speed and lift out of it but using my Jeti 70 ESc and it needs a BEC or battery in it. I have the battery in it and it is an extra 145 grams.

Man it does fly much faster than the other one, I am going to go get a another shell and build another one for this coming weekend! I think it going to be that way.

Need to figure out how to make the airframe stiffer without ading more than 20 or 30 grams.

Well it was awesome flying again.

have fun guys and keep them all in one piece!
Old 08-17-2005, 02:02 AM   #20
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Duster? Is that you Sticks? I know there's only 2 people in Arkansas who fly.

CTD, Glassing does make them faster. 11 x 7, how do you clear your fingers on launch???

Dr.Audio, Want to play?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FINISHED SLAYER.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	637  

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:23 AM   #21
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Default No bandaids needed

I have not had any trouble with launch. It has so much thrust all I do is give it a almost flat vertical toss [a little forward on the toss] and she just powers away. I'll bet you could almost toss it from holding it by the wing. Like tossing a Frisbee.

CTD

Originally Posted by Glacier Girl
Duster? Is that you Sticks? I know there's only 2 people in Arkansas who fly.

CTD, Glassing does make them faster. 11 x 7, how do you clear your fingers on launch???

Dr.Audio, Want to play?
Old 08-21-2005, 04:02 AM   #22
Duster52

View Duster52's Gallery2

Hey GG, It's me, it's me!!!! You gotta recognize my avatar! That's an original!

Sticks
Old 08-21-2005, 07:01 PM   #23
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Hey there Stryker Pilots
Anyone have an extra hatch cover for the Stryker? I need the long grey one.
I was flying this mourning and slammed into the top of a pine tree and had to get a very long pole to poke and get the plane down.In the process parts fell down and i had to hunt in the weeds for them. Found everything but the long grey hatch.
I am in the process of repairing the plane now as the motor came off with a big chunk of foam. I am trying glue and ductape to remount it. If that don't work i will have to try glassing it. It was a very exciting flight anyway.Ha
Crashalott
Old 08-21-2005, 07:13 PM   #24
Duster52

View Duster52's Gallery2

Crashalot, I don't have a spare, but you can order those hatches from Horizon Hobby. Don't cost much at all.

Good luck. I have had my share of trees! I have my own set of pvc pipes and aluminum tubing for that purpose!

Sticks
Old 08-22-2005, 04:17 AM   #25
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Default Check my short video

Man, I didn't know you could put them on there! With a 7 inch prop I over amp my 2250Mah 16C batteries!

Have fun!
Hey Doc,

If you go to RC Groups and look me up, you can see a video I posted today of the Strykler with the 11X7 prop. You will see my hand launch. I also tried some leading edge slots on the Stryker. I didn't think they were really needed this thing flys great as is. I took them off.

My Himax outrunner only pulls 14 AMPs at WOT static.

http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...cat=500&page=1

CTD

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings