Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-17-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
Ron S

Friends: (0)
Default Using "Flaperons"

I'm setting up a plane for use with flaperons. My question is: do you mix in UP or Down elevator with the flaps. I've heard it both ways,and I'm not sure which way to go? Thanks Ron

Fast O'l Fart 1/2 of Team Terror: If you don't like my flying,stay under your truck! AMA 227194 CX2,Black Hawk450SE,Tooo Many Planes
Old 10-17-2007, 12:56 PM   #2
pd1
Still Learning

View pd1's Gallery69
Club: Cape Ann RC Model Club
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (53)

Good question. There is no hard and fast rule.

Most high wing planes pitch up with flaps.
Most low wing planes pitch down with flaps.
I said most, because there seems to be a lot of exceptions to the rule.

I would fly the plane and set minimal flap travel, then see what it does.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:13 PM   #3
Ron S

Thanks,that's what I'll try! Ron

Fast O'l Fart 1/2 of Team Terror: If you don't like my flying,stay under your truck! AMA 227194 CX2,Black Hawk450SE,Tooo Many Planes
Old 10-17-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
sgf323

View sgf323's Gallery12
Friends: (1)

I've got my MUS set to have the flaps go down together when I hit the flap switch and to move down when I use the elevator up as well.

The flaps are supposed to increase the incidence angle of the wing, as far as I understand, so you don't want to have them droop so much as to actually catch the wind to slow you down... you just want them to droop enough that it increases your lift so you can either loop faster or fly slower without stalling.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:00 AM   #5
RogerQ

HI GUYS: Does anyone know of a good 3-D video (disc) that not only shows some good 3-D flying, but also has some instructions in it. I realize that I am, in a sense, asking for the moon, but there just might be something that comes close to my request. thanks a bunch. Roger Q.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:19 AM   #6
sgf323

View sgf323's Gallery12
Friends: (1)

It's not a video but maybe this will help: http://www.blaineaustin.com/3d_tips.htm
Old 10-27-2007, 06:16 AM   #7
Fangar
Bank Robber

Friends: (2)

On my Airfoilz Edge 540 , I use the Flaperons in conjuction with the Elevator in the Air Brake Setting (Futaba 7C). This allows a percentage to be assigned to each set of surfaces (Ailerons and Elevator). I run my Flaperons at around 10-12% down when engaged and my elevator pitched up in the 8-10% range. This will vary depending on plane, but this setting for my plane allows for a very slow and stable descent.

Best way to set this up is to make some settings, grab some altitude and engage.

Cheers,

Fangar

Old 12-05-2007, 02:22 PM   #8
BaldEagel

Flappeons are not Flaps as such but elevator assists, if you combine the flapperons together with the elevator in opposite directions i.e. both ailerons up elevator down you will get massive pitch control, the tightest loops and bunts you have ever seen, also if you have the facility switch them in and out and put flaps on a side slider of your Tx so that you can put both up at the same time, this allows non wing rocking elevators and harriers and steep slow aprouch's in to landing without the risk of tip stalling, also helps on the prop hang.

Mike
Old 12-05-2007, 04:28 PM   #9
guest001
On Hiatus

In general aviation, the "rule" is flaps down, nose down, flaps up, nose up-this is to maintain a constant airspeed.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:36 PM   #10
BaldEagel

The only aircraft I ever flew that had anything close to "Flapperons" (which is what the original question was about) was an ASW 17 or the 22 come to that and some of the other glass gliders, you could combine the ailerons and flaps to act as one, but you still could not combine them with the elevator, Flapperons in this case are a fun mixing to put on your plane and are about as far removed from full size aviation as you can get.

Mike
Old 12-06-2007, 12:43 AM   #11
Fangar
Bank Robber

Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by BaldEagel View Post
...Flapperons in this case are a fun mixing to put on your plane and are about as far removed from full size aviation as you can get.

Mike
Don't tell the pilots of these planes that their flaperons don't work...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STOL_CH_701

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitfox

Old 12-06-2007, 01:13 AM   #12
guest001
On Hiatus

Smile

Originally Posted by BaldEagel View Post
The only aircraft I ever flew that had anything close to "Flapperons" (which is what the original question was about) was an ASW 17 or the 22 come to that and some of the other glass gliders, you could combine the ailerons and flaps to act as one, but you still could not combine them with the elevator, Flapperons in this case are a fun mixing to put on your plane and are about as far removed from full size aviation as you can get.

Mike
Reread my post, I said "flaps" not "flaperons," but there is an analogy. I had more than 4,000 hours, of which about 1,000 were IMC, when I quit.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying