Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-29-2015, 10:36 PM   #1
Biomecanoid

Friends: (0)
Default Volantex Ranger - Build Log

A while back i started building the Ranger the plane is almost done now and some detailing and fine tuning is needed

This is the hardware i have used:

http://www.banggood.com/Ultimate-BEC...-p-911046.html

http://www.banggood.com/YKS-BW136-11...-p-953838.html

http://www.banggood.com/SkyRC-D100-A...-p-971647.html

http://www.banggood.com/ZOP-Power-11...-p-948513.html

http://www.banggood.com/CellMeter-7-...d-p-85223.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tter_Pack.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...t_module_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...8FR_II_RX.html

Everything else is stock and came with the plane.

Things i have done that are not in the instructions:

* installed CA hinges on the plane.
* Laminated wings, vertical/horizontal stabilizer and canopy.
* Put clear protection tape on the bottom of the fuselage, the automotive kind that is supposed to protect the car's paint. (very tough).
* Installed locking nuts on the the inside of the wheels axle instead of normal nuts that came with the kit.
* The locking nut that was supposed to secure the prop on the motor would not fit or screw on so i replaced it with 3 normal nuts.
* Made a tray for the battery to sit on securely with velcro.
* Put yellow/black warning tape on the plane.
* Taped the servos.

I have balanced the plane for the maiden to come @ 70mm from the leading edge

I guess i have bought a wrong battery since its heavy and the whole plane weights around 1400gr (Is that too bad ?)

Now what is left is how and where to place and secure the FrSKY antennas.

Any ideas, recommendations, suggestions you have and if you spot something i did wrong in the photos please let me know.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:48 PM   #2
arizona98tj

Looking at the specs for your plane, it showed a 1500 gr weight w/o a battery, so your weight seems to be where it needs to be.

Your 5500 3S batter is in the middle of the suggested capacity range so you didn't deviate from there.

I fly with a FrSky Taranis Plus radio and use all of "X" style receivers. I would place one of the antennas along the axis of the fuselage and the other antenna I would mount horizontal, perpendicular to the other antenna. I don't know if your receiver has the oblong circuit boards at the end of the antenna or if they are just the standard whisker antennas. Either way, they would be oriented in the same manner. I use a plastic coffee stirring stick (the hollow tube type) for my whisker antennas....gluing the plastic tube in place and routing the antenna through it to maintain its position. I have several planes were the tube exits the side of the fuselage providing unrestricted access for the antenna. Try to keep the antennas as far away from any metal (including wiring) objects or carbon fiber as possible. Either can reduce the antenna's performance.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:00 PM   #3
Biomecanoid

My plane is the 757-4 the one with the 1.4m wingspan. I think you have in mind its bigger brother the 757-3 with the 2m wingspan.

My FrSkY is this one :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...8FR_II_RX.html

and the antennas are just whisker cables.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:14 PM   #4
Biomecanoid

I am thinking of attaching the antennas on the canopy looking forward and on the side of the fuselage looking down.

In the photos you can see an example of how i plan to attach the whiskers, the tape is there just to take the photos, if you think the placement is correct i plan to secure them in place with velcro.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:27 PM   #5
Biomecanoid

Another possible solution could be an arrangement like the photo below

Old 12-10-2015, 10:35 PM   #6
arizona98tj

Originally Posted by Biomecanoid View Post
I am thinking of attaching the antennas on the canopy looking forward and on the side of the fuselage looking down.
The "looking down" antenna will be vertically polarized while your other antenna is horizontally polarized. What polarization do you intend on using for your transmitter antenna? If it is horizontal, which is very common, then you will have minimum signal strength for your receiver when the plane is flying away or towards you. If that was my plane, I wouldn't be happy with that at all.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:41 PM   #7
Biomecanoid

Originally Posted by arizona98tj View Post
The "looking down" antenna will be vertically polarized while your other antenna is horizontally polarized. What polarization do you intend on using for your transmitter antenna? If it is horizontal, which is very common, then you will have minimum signal strength for your receiver when the plane is flying away or towards you. If that was my plane, I wouldn't be happy with that at all.
Well if what i am suggesting is wrong that's why i am here for you guys to correct me where ever you can.

So where would you suggest to place the antennas ?
Old 12-10-2015, 11:05 PM   #8
arizona98tj

I don't fly FPV so my experience it limited to me flying a plane I can see....and I am rarely over 100 yds off the deck.

I would take that "down looking" antenna and rotate it 90 degrees up so it is parallel to the ground. Then you have two horizontally polarized antennas, one "looking" fore and aft while the other provides could coverage from either side. And I would position my transmit antenna so it was working horizontal too....coming out the top of your transmitter and pointing either to the left or right side of the radio.

I have found that the little plastic hollow coffee stir sticks work great for positioning whisker antennas. You can put a tiny hole right through the fuselage to easily position the antenna. It allows you to more easily put the antenna right where you want it. Gluing one inside the fuselage allows you to better position the antenna away from other wiring, carbon fiber struts, batteries, etc.

One last thing....I would do a "temp install" of your antennas (using tape, etc. to hold them in position) and then do a range check using your Taranis Plus. Make sure you have everything in the plane. Put the plane about 4' to 5' off the ground, away from trees, metal, etc. (sit in on a couple of stacked cardboard boxes) and do a 360 degree walk around the plane with your transmitter facing the plane. I can get a good test at 50+ yards (with the transmitter in range test) without any RSSI warnings.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:18 PM   #9
Biomecanoid

I don't fly FPV so my experience it limited to me flying a plane I can see....and I am rarely over 100 yds off the deck.

I would take that "down looking" antenna and rotate it 90 degrees up so it is parallel to the ground. Then you have two horizontally polarized antennas, one "looking" fore and aft while the other provides could coverage from either side. And I would position my transmit antenna so it was working horizontal too....coming out the top of your transmitter and pointing either to the left or right side of the radio.

I have found that the little plastic hollow coffee stir sticks work great for positioning whisker antennas. You can put a tiny hole right through the fuselage to easily position the antenna. It allows you to more easily put the antenna right where you want it. Gluing one inside the fuselage allows you to better position the antenna away from other wiring, carbon fiber struts, batteries, etc.

One last thing....I would do a "temp install" of your antennas (using tape, etc. to hold them in position) and then do a range check using your Taranis Plus. Make sure you have everything in the plane. Put the plane about 4' to 5' off the ground, away from trees, metal, etc. (sit in on a couple of stacked cardboard boxes) and do a 360 degree walk around the plane with your transmitter facing the plane. I can get a good test at 50+ yards (with the transmitter in range test) without any RSSI warnings.

Is this what you mean ? :

Old 12-11-2015, 02:32 AM   #10
arizona98tj

Originally Posted by Biomecanoid View Post
Is this what you mean ? :

Yes....one antenna would be parallel to the fuselage, the other parallel to the wing.....and they would both be parallel to the ground.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:50 AM   #11
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

I fly FrSky ....

The Rx antenna are fine with being diverted to line up 90 deg's to each other horizontally / vertically etc.
Yes it is true that certain orientations give poor attitude - but FrSky is a good system and exceeds quoted specs easily.

Some models I use a skewer to create a hole out through fuselage side and pass one through so its 'flying free' ...

I even use the little 4ch single antenna Rx in many of my medium sized models because its range is out of sight

My advice is to NOT fix antenna's in place but to tack or use guides. This way you do not rip them of the tabs / plugs when that mishap occurs.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 12-11-2015, 11:52 AM   #12
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Don't forget we are talking about a 3D environment ... that means whatever orientation you decide for the antenna's - you will have times when at worst and times when at best.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 12-11-2015, 04:22 PM   #13
arizona98tj

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Don't forget we are talking about a 3D environment ... that means whatever orientation you decide for the antenna's - you will have times when at worst and times when at best.

Nigel
3D? I thought this plane was an FPV platform.

That being said, do people fly 3D at extreme distances? I'm not an accomplished 3D flyer by no means, but I do have a 3D Yak....and it is never very far away when it is flying high alfa or prop hanging. IMO, if one can't reliably get a cross polarized signal to your receiver at say...100 yds, I would be seriously shopping for new radio gear.

Edit: I just looked up the Volantex Ranger 757-4....it is listed as an FPV endurance plane. If the guy wants to 3D a pusher FPV plane, he certainly can, but I'm thinking there are a lot better options on the market.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:27 PM   #14
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

3D? I thought this plane was an FPV platform.

That being said, do people fly 3D at extreme distances? I'm not an accomplished 3D flyer by no means, but I do have a 3D Yak....and it is never very far away when it is flying high alfa or prop hanging. IMO, if one can't reliably get a cross polarized signal to your receiver at say...100 yds, I would be seriously shopping for new radio gear.

Edit: I just looked up the Volantex Ranger 757-4....it is listed as an FPV endurance plane. If the guy wants to 3D a pusher FPV plane, he certainly can, but I'm thinking there are a lot better options on the market.
Sorry when I say 3D ... I mean we are flying in three dimension ... not 3D acrobatics !!

If the model was a car or boat ... then its 2D ...

Nigel

Old 12-11-2015, 06:11 PM   #15
arizona98tj

Understood Nigel.

For me, putting one antenna into the vertical plane vs. significantly reducing half of my coverage in the horizontal plane isn't worth it, especially after examining the receiver's signal strength plot in my Taranis telemetry log file. Those brief periods of my going vertical, putting the antennas 90 degrees out of phase, has not been an issue. I've no doubt it may highly depend on just how good your antenna placements initially are, regardless of phase....I've seen some folks just stuff the whisker antennas into the fuse and fly....there loss, not mine, should things go south.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:59 PM   #16
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

The antenna as far as I am aware do not 'share' signal ... so there is no 'half' in effect. Its one or other depending on which has strongest signal.

If you have a horizontal Rx antenna and your Tx antenna is at usual angle of say Spektrum fixed .. ie near horizontal and both pointing same direction with model going away from you in line - that is worst case ... but put Rx antenna vertical then it will pick up more ... still not best - but better ... this is my point of the three dimensions.

It will always be a compromise.

Nigel

Old 12-11-2015, 07:40 PM   #17
arizona98tj

By half I meant with two antennas, mounted 90 apart, in the same horizontal plane....one antenna favors half of plane's attitude....fore and half...while the other antenna favors the plane's other attitude, side to side.

I've not looked at the schematics so I don't know if their is a simple voting logic that provides the receiver with the strongest signal or if they go into a simple mixer. Doesn't matter to me....my X8R, X6R, and X4R receivers all fly much further than I can possibly see my aircraft to control it.

Thanks for the discussion. At this point, it seems we are beginning to nit pick terms so I'll finish here and trust the OP can figure out how he wants to orient his antennas.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:32 PM   #18
Biomecanoid

Thanks for all the info guys i think i understand what i have to do now.

I have another question now if i buy the FrSky 7dB Panel antenna:

http://www.heliland.com/catalog/inde...oducts_id=5461

Will i need to arrange the whiskers on the Rx differently ?
Old 12-12-2015, 03:53 PM   #19
arizona98tj

I've no experience with that antenna. I do not know which polarization that panel has in its standard mounting configuration....and whether it can be switched between vertical or horizontal.

Any time you employ a gain antenna, you are focusing RF into a smaller area which means you need to more precisely keep the gain antenna positioned correctly in regards to the other antenna. I personally wouldn't bother with it. If I were flying at distances where my existing 2.4 Ghz radio was experiencing signal drop, I would be looking at a serious long range setup. Since I've been a ham for 40+ years, I would switch over to something like DragonLink.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:26 PM   #20
Biomecanoid

I believe i have found a nice location to place the antennas, and due to the placement of the Rx antennas the Tx antenna should be horizontal to the left or right :

Old 12-12-2015, 05:52 PM   #21
arizona98tj

Looks good....you are certainly on the right track. I would do a range check now, as previously mentioned. Not sure how your setup works in regards to a range check using the FrSky external module....I'm sure the owner's manual addresses it. On mine, the range check is performed using a greatly reduced signal (managed via the transmitter)....hence my prior comment about it being good to 50+ yds. Check your documentation to be sure how yours is done.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:16 AM   #22
Biomecanoid

Final Version :

Old 12-13-2015, 12:48 AM   #23
arizona98tj

I won't tape my antennas in place. Why? Because in a crash, you may find that the part the receiver is attached to decides to go in a different direction than the part(s) either of the antennas are attached to. It is why I suggested using the tubular coffee stir sticks which allow the antenna to easily slide out if necessary. When I started flying 3D, I had a crash where the above happened. Luckily, the antenna that was mounted to the wing (which broke off of the fuse) was mounted as a described and slipped out of the stir stick tube without any problems.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:19 AM   #24
Biomecanoid

I am pretty sure that the tape will peel right off with force, maybe i should go back to the less strong paper tape i had on before. Can't use straws because the canopy wont close
Old 12-13-2015, 02:31 AM   #25
arizona98tj

Your mounting choice dictated not being able to use the coffee stir tubes. The antennas don't have to be mounted in the canopy track.

I've given my advice....you can do what you want with it....makes no difference to me. I'm going to go get my gear ready for tomorrow's flying session.

Good luck on your maiden. Be sure to post some pics.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies