Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-28-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
abborgogna

Friends: (2)
Default Das Ugly Stik

A long time ago Phil Kraft designed a plane to be used for testing radio equipment following repair. Little did he know that the design would probably the most produced model airplane design ever. It has been produced in every size from 1/2a to giant size. It has been produced in nitro, gas, and electric. I have probably had a half dozen of them over the years and they are fun to fly. This is the first electric ARF version for me and I can't wait to fly it. Please take a good look at the faux nitro engine up front, the detail they put into it is hard to believe. I expect to have club members come up to me and remind me that our field is electric only. The motor sits right behind the firewall where the gas tank would be and a drive shaft set in ball bearings runs right through the faux engine and drives the prop. The only thing that gives the illusion away is the missing push rod to the carb. I plan to fix that before I take it to the field, also it's very quite. I guess the muffler is really doing it's job!!!
Andy

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Das Ugly Stik.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	178118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	178119  
Old 10-28-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

That rocks man! LOL too funny.... Lets see some pics of the e-motor and connection to the shaft in the "fake" motor.

I love it!

Mike
Old 10-28-2014, 07:25 PM   #3
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

I have GOT to get that plane and bring it to my ALL electric field. I will bring a can of fuel and starting equipment, to see if I can fool someone in to thinking I have a nitro plane there.

The electric motor is in the tank compartment, with a connector to the shaft running through the fake motor. I was thinking of taking the piston and crankshaft out of one of my nitro motors, and running a long shaft. Now we can buy the full setup from the HK international warehouse.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
http://www.pugetsoundsilentflyers.org/
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:28 PM   #4
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (23)

Isn't that the stick from HK? I saw that and thought it looked great. HK has a video from Nall E week posted fly's just like a stick should only quiet.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:25 AM   #5
pd1
Still Learning

View pd1's Gallery69
Club: Cape Ann RC Model Club
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (53)

Love the fake engine. I wonder if I can buy just the fake engine?

I have this little plane with a Baby Bee cylinder sticking out of the cowl, you should see how many people told me It didn't have a muffler and I couldn't fly it.
It has a Hacker 10 under the cowl.
If I could get a fake engine I'd convert my Little Stick.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10-dollar-plane10.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	178128   Click image for larger version

Name:	side-stick3.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	178129   Click image for larger version

Name:	side-view2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	178130  
Old 10-29-2014, 05:15 AM   #6
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

HK's China warehouse lists the fake motor and the electric motor, in the Durfly replacement parts for the Stik.

The motor just lists at $20.32 doesn't say the watts or ant spec's but it weighs 156 grams so it should be in the 450-500 watt area.

The fake nitro lists at $13.92, I believe it has a coupling to connect to the electric motor behind the firewall.

So for about $35 + shipping You can have a fake engine.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
http://www.pugetsoundsilentflyers.org/
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:40 AM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,145 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (324)

Originally Posted by abborgogna View Post
A long time ago Phil Kraft designed a plane to be used for testing radio equipment following repair. Little did he know that the design would probably the most produced model airplane design ever. It has been produced in every size from 1/2a to giant size. It has been produced in nitro, gas, and electric. I have probably had a half dozen of them over the years and they are fun to fly. This is the first electric ARF version for me and I can't wait to fly it. Please take a good look at the faux nitro engine up front, the detail they put into it is hard to believe. I expect to have club members come up to me and remind me that our field is electric only. The motor sits right behind the firewall where the gas tank would be and a drive shaft set in ball bearings runs right through the faux engine and drives the prop. The only thing that gives the illusion away is the missing push rod to the carb. I plan to fix that before I take it to the field, also it's very quite. I guess the muffler is really doing it's job!!!
Andy
Thats neet dont forget to take a gallon of nitro fuel with you and a glow plug battery

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 10-29-2014, 02:49 PM   #8
abborgogna

I have some pictures of the motor installation. You can just make out the prop shaft entering the faux motor through the back plate and if you look closely you can see the shaft through the carb as it make it's way to the front. And yes this is the HK Ugly Stik that they just started offering, I got an advanced notification of it and just could not resist the offer. Assembly requires no glue just a hand full of screws and it goes together really well.

Andy

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Prop drive shaft 1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	178147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prop drive shaft 2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	178148  
Old 10-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
abborgogna

Picture of rear of engine and motor location. I overran the data limitation on the previous input and didn't realize it until I look at the entry.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Prop drive shaft rear1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	178150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor locaton.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	178151  
Old 10-30-2014, 12:58 AM   #10
pd1
Still Learning

View pd1's Gallery69
Awards Showcase

I didn't know there was a power limitation, I still plan on getting one and trying it.
Thanks for the information.

Paul
Old 10-30-2014, 02:21 AM   #11
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (23)

It is made for a 3536 1000kv to fit inside the plastic motor. I am sure a longer motor could be used if you can make a new shaft for it. That can't be to hard to do if you have access to the right tools.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:19 AM   #12
abborgogna

Guys the electric motor sits in the gas tank compartment, not inside the fake engine. There is a drive shaft that goes from the electric motor though the fake gas engine and drives the prop. See the pictures I uploaded, if you look closely you can see parts of the drive shaft. Now trying to use anything other than the HK motor designed for this plane will require a very long prop shaft that matches the bearings used to support it. Having said that, I think it is doable.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:59 AM   #13
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

AV Contest  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

That's pretty funny.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #14
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

Someone sent me the link to the HK plane not to long ago and i have sold off all my 50 or so nitro motors but this dummy one does look cool. lol There are many free stick plans to get from many places and i have built the das canard stick already from free plans and converted to electric. Just goes to show the stick desighns will always be around weather nitro or electrict. I would make sure you balance your props real good with a drive shaft tho . joe
Old 10-30-2014, 05:11 PM   #15
abborgogna

It really is amazing that a plane that was designed just to test repaired radio equipment has become such an icon for our hobby. The original Ugly Stick had to be covered with silk because when covered with Monokote the wing would fold up in a dive. Later changes to the wing made the use of Monokote doable. Phil Kraft was quite a guy, I had the chance to meet him a couple of times. I even went to his place of business, a friend of mine at the time worked for Kraft. It's a shame that so many good American R/C companies are gone now, low cost high quality Japanese equipment put them out of business. Now low cost high quality Chinese equipment threatens to put the Japanese companies out of business. What goes around comes around...
Old 10-30-2014, 06:05 PM   #16
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Thumbs up

You can find most of the stick plans here for free http://www.outerzone.co.uk/index.asp joe http://www.outerzone.co.uk/search/re...&Submit=Search
Old 10-31-2014, 12:47 AM   #17
abborgogna

Thanks Road King, I think I will pull down some plans. By the way I ride a 2000 Road King that I bought new way back when.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:53 AM   #18
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Thanks Road King, I think I will pull down some plans. By the way I ride a 2000 Road King that I bought new way back when.
Yep any time ,my 97 was a bonus from the company i work for that year ,its my purple barny bike and the color bugged me at first but the color has grown on me now . lol You can find the littlest stick here by the bottom and some other cool tiled plans also . joehttp://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	road king 97.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	178167  
Old 10-31-2014, 02:01 AM   #19
abborgogna

Now that is a sweet looking ride! Mine is suppose to be blue, but in the sunlight it takes on a purple look, but not as purple as yours. I do love my Harley...
Old 10-31-2014, 02:15 AM   #20
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Thanks ! i rode a chopped 54 HD hardtail panhead with 22 inch over springer for 25 years before i got tired of kicking the cold blooded b over to start it. lol
Old 10-31-2014, 07:36 PM   #21
abborgogna

Yep aint electric starters great! Anyway back to the thread, I flew the Stik this morning and guys it even flies better than it looks and it looks really good. Guys kept coming over to see why I brought out a gasser to our all electric flying site. The looks on their faces when I showed them that it was electric made me wish I had my camera. I let a couple of friends fly it and everybody was very positive about this plane. The only thing that remains is how well it holds up and only time will tell. If you get this plane put the CG exactly where the instructions say, the trim was almost perfect on the first flight, a click or two here and a click or two there and it was dead on. Landings are a breeze, take offs are quick and it climbs out very nicely all in all I like it so far.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:21 AM   #22
pd1
Still Learning

View pd1's Gallery69
Awards Showcase

Glad the flight went well.

Paul
Old 11-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #23
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Yep aint electric starters great! Anyway back to the thread, I flew the Stik this morning and guys it even flies better than it looks and it looks really good. Guys kept coming over to see why I brought out a gasser to our all electric flying site. The looks on their faces when I showed them that it was electric made me wish I had my camera. I let a couple of friends fly it and everybody was very positive about this plane. The only thing that remains is how well it holds up and only time will tell. If you get this plane put the CG exactly where the instructions say, the trim was almost perfect on the first flight, a click or two here and a click or two there and it was dead on. Landings are a breeze, take offs are quick and it climbs out very nicely all in all I like it so far.
Sound like a nice maiden and it flys good . So your at a eletric only club site ? If they had one around here i would join one . joe
Old 05-16-2015, 01:08 PM   #24
RobinA

Club: West Florida Modelers
Friends: (0)

I have a wing assy.complete ,for this plane.

Free !!!

PM me and we can work out the details...............Robin
Old 05-16-2015, 02:09 PM   #25
abborgogna

Well it is funny you have a wing assembly available. I had a mid-air with mine a couple of months later. The wing and tail feathers came out of it in great shape but the fuselage was toast. So, I took the remains of the fuselage and used it for templates and built a wood version. Painted the new fuselage a matching red, put it all together and it flies as good as the original. In fact until I told people it was a wood fuselage nobody even noticed. I now have a video camera mounted in the left wing and am learning to take videos. I learned one thing past week, MAKE SURE YOU TURN THE CAMERA OFF!!! before you put it in the car to go home. When the camera ran out of memory it just wrapped around and over wrote all the files with the image of the back of my bench seat in the truck. Needless to say I was not happy!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies