Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-17-2015, 04:38 AM   #1
northernflyer

Friends: (0)
Default multiplex fun cub

Hey guys, Ive been looking around for some helpful tips, i was wondering if i could get some assistance as i have never built a plane out of a kit and was wondering if someone can give me some pointers for my build. How long should it take a beginner to build one of these? what kind of glue is best to be used for this build? Does anyone have any suggestions for a good motor and esc to use for this plane other then the himax kit thats sold especially for it? any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks
Old 03-17-2015, 11:16 AM   #2
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery5
Awards Showcase

AV Contest  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Check out Heads Up's recommendations for that plane:
http://www.headsuphobby.com/MULTIPLE...?categoryId=-1

As to how long it will take, my first ARF build took forever (maybe three weeks?) as I was nervous as a kitten and had to ask for help with the simplest things. Don't be in a hurry. It's not a race.

Glue ... You'll get different answers from people. There's no one right answer.

Lately, I'm very fond of Beacon 3-in-1 glue. White Gorilla Glue is terrific, cheap and reliable but it foams up and can make a mess until you've learned to tame it. Mid-to-Slow cure epoxy will work, as will contact cement.

A lot of people like UHU Por.

Hot glue is easy and cheap but it's heavy and unreliable - it will let go on you if it gets too hot (or too cold.) Not recommended.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #3
Crashalott
Super Contributor

View Crashalott's Gallery28
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Check out Heads Up's recommendations for that plane:
http://www.headsuphobby.com/MULTIPLE...?categoryId=-1

As to how long it will take, my first ARF build took forever (maybe three weeks?) as I was nervous as a kitten and had to ask for help with the simplest things. Don't be in a hurry. It's not a race.

Glue ... You'll get different answers from people. There's no one right answer.

Lately, I'm very fond of Beacon 3-in-1 glue. White Gorilla Glue is terrific, cheap and reliable but it foams up and can make a mess until you've learned to tame it. Mid-to-Slow cure epoxy will work, as will contact cement.

A lot of people like UHU Por.

Hot glue is easy and cheap but it's heavy and unreliable - it will let go on you if it gets too hot (or too cold.) Not recommended.
Good recomendations Mark.
Also there are a couple of FoamSafe glues and Headsup Hobby has both.
I use the cheapest one. its called BSI FoamCure glue and cost's less than half of what the other one costs.
Crash

Crashalott
Old 03-31-2015, 03:44 PM   #4
Moparherb

Club: Syracuse Thunderbird Aero Radio Society(STARS)

As I understood this poster was building a Fun Cub. If so you cannot use epoxy on a Fun Cub. Most use medium CA but many other glues will also work.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:29 PM   #5
fishycomics

foam tac, youtube it

out flying here learning.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:57 PM   #6
Bagoparts

Default multiplex fun cub

Love Foam Tac but once it opened, unused contents start drying. I thrown way too many half used containers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2016, 06:43 PM   #7
Xpress..
Team Hitec, CSR

Club: Alpine Aero Squadron
Friends: (2)

Multiplex Elapor foam can only be glued properly using regular Medium CA glue- do not use foam safe glues as they won't stick to it (such as gorilla glue, wood glue, epoxy, etc.). I recommend BSI Insta-Cure+ (purple label), it is the strongest and most consistently brewed CA I have ever run across.

Some have had success with Foam Tac, but I am not one of those people unfortunately. Other foams without a doubt, but not Elapor.

Take your time building the airplane. Read the manual, go through the diagrams, and take it step by step and you'll get it. Multiplex does a lot of work to make the assembly as easy as possible so you don't have to spend hours figuring out what to do. The diagrams do make things a lot easier.

Team Hitec, Customer Service Representative

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies