Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > General RC E-Heli Talk
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General RC E-Heli Talk General discussion forum for electric powered rc helis.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
View Poll Results: What method do you use to hold the Tx?
Pinch 115 29.72%
Thumbs 217 56.07%
I can use both 55 14.21%
Voters: 387. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2011, 02:06 AM   #101
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by Motions View Post
I'm very curious as to how many people use their thumbs rather than the pinch method for controlling their heli.

I use thumbs but have tried the pinch method and just can't do it that way.
After flying with thumbs since the mid 1960's I tried to use the pinch method. It felt like I was trying to write left handed, for a right handed person. Guess it will stay "Thumbs Up" for me.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 04-02-2011, 03:13 AM   #102
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

View Lieutenant Loughead's Gallery35
Club: Flown 517 days in a row!
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (24)

Isn't that "thumbs sideways"???

Owner of the UNCLUB flying site and hobby shop in Arcadia, OK.

AMA #930992
Old 04-02-2011, 05:45 AM   #103
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
Isn't that "thumbs sideways"???
H'mmmm

"Thumbs Down" on top of the transmitter stick

DennyV
Old 04-02-2011, 06:49 AM   #104
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com

Friends: (8)

Here's a twist to the question... How many people use a trackball mouse for their computer? I know I do... and it feels like I’m trying to write left handed if i use someone’s regular type desktop mouse.

So I'm sure you can guess then that i'm all thumbs when it comes to flying too!
Old 04-02-2011, 07:16 AM   #105
baz49exe
Super Contributor

View baz49exe's Gallery15
Club: East Devon Radio Control Club
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
Strike's me, those who wear a neck strap "pinch" Those who "hold tx" use thumbs. I think it's all down to how we all 1st learnt how to fly. We of the modern generation (A-hem!) are used to Nintendo/PS controls & the rest are from the old school (read prehistoric-LOL ) use the pinch method. So next time at flying club, point out the reptiles! PS Many of the younger flyers younger than myself "pinch" But they were all taught by their fathers!!!- but like the rest of the dinosaurs they will die out.Long live "thumber's!"
Hmm, I've been flying for decades and yes I use the " pinch method" even though I can fly both ways. I was taught by experienced flyers that pinching was more precise and gave far better control. If you don't want precise control well fine but I still respected the experience gained over many years by friends " dinosaurs" and I am very glad that I did.
Dinosaurs managed to survive for hundreds of millions of years and we haven't even really managed one yet!!!!
Old 04-16-2011, 08:59 AM   #106
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Fixed wing : I often start with pinched sticks ... but soon relax to thumb on top of stick and index finger at side ... so a sort of half / half job.

Heli : That's pinch as a definite as I'm trying to keep control of this mad machine that wants to kill everything around !

I learnt both ways as I used to fly gliders, power and heli's ... had boats, cars .. all sorts ... if it was RC - I dabbled in it !

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 04-16-2011, 04:56 PM   #107
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

Club: Lorain County R/C Club
Friends: (5)

Just to add another dimension (confusion?)to this discussion, a week ago Thursday at the club meeting I was reminising with my old instructor about the Controlaire 5 I brought with me when I joined the club in 1977. He wasn't able to either pinch or thumb the sticks. The gimbals were so stiff, he had to grip the sticks with his whole fist. Could only use one hand on the right stick, left one to hold the 3 pound box. If we'd been using mode one, he couldn't have flown without a tray. He still claims he sprained his wrist on that tranny.
Boy, that reminds me. After almost 34 years, I'm neither the oldest nor longest term member. About 1/3 of the members are older than me, with the oldest being a newbie of 93. (Youngest is 5) The former instructor and 3 others have been in the club longer than me. I spent 20 years as treasurer, giving it up this year. One of the longer term members has the record for longest service as an officer, 21 years as secretary.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #108
dumo01
dumo01

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assc
Friends: (7)
Default pinch, thumb or whole hand?

Had a discussion with one of the club members who has been around a long time, he says that back in the 80s single stick transmitters were more common than double stick. The stick was gripped with the whole hand, elevators and ailerons as expected, rudder control was a rotary motion on the stick, I was not able to follow how the throttle control was built into the stick, but apparently was a pot you were able to adjust with one finger of the hand gripping the stick. He said the design fell out of favor as more channels were added to the transmitter/ receiver systems.
I used to fly a lot of flight sim, and one of the flight systems I had used a rotary motion of the stick for rudder control. It was a very intuitive easy to use system, that would seem to lend itself easily to RC flight.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:24 PM   #109
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

I seem to recall seeing one single stick system with a throttle slide built into the rudder knob, possibly Space Control or Sampey, but all the other SS systems I am familiar with have the transmitter body cradled in the left arm with the left hand fingers going around to the right side of the case and operating slide pots. The right hand operated the right hand stick in the manner we're more familiar with for elevator and ailerons, plus a rotary knob on top of the stick for rudder. That's how my old EK was set up. Three functions on the stick, and 4 slide pots on the side, with the top slide being usually used for throttle.
Seemed in the period between phase-out of reeds and full implementation of the proportional radios single stick systems were quite common. I kind of wish they'd make a comeback, besides the 3 channel types.
Personally, I felt having one hand operating 4 control axis might have been a bit much.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #110
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Hi
I have many vintage single stick Tx's
There really something to see in action
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 04-16-2011, 10:13 PM   #111
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by kenchiroalpha View Post
Hi
I have many vintage single stick Tx's
There really something to see in action
Take care
Yours Hank
Hank
Wow, some of those transmitters could be in the AMA museum!

I've still got an old Citizenship 27 Mhz single channel transmitter and receiver from the 1960's. Still works, but don't have any escapements for it

DennyV
Old 04-16-2011, 10:27 PM   #112
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Talking

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Hank
Wow, some of those transmitters could be in the AMA museum!

I've still got an old Citizenship 27 Mhz single channel transmitter and receiver from the 1960's. Still works, but don't have any escapements for it
Hi Denny
Thanks
My wife seems to think i already have an RC museum and or hobby shop with all of my stuff here at my home
I have been at this hobby for 35 years and with all of my mentors (Dads) stuff added as well my own have so many vintage models, Txs, Rxs and associated doodads and such that it would make your head spin
Thought you may enjoy seeing some more vintage TX's
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 04-16-2011, 10:47 PM   #113
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Hi Denny
Thanks
My wife seems to think i already have an RC museum and or hobby shop with all of my stuff here at my home
I have been at this hobby for 35 years and with all of my mentors (Dads) stuff added as well my own have so many vintage models, Txs, Rxs and associated doodads and such that it would make your head spin
Thought you may enjoy seeing some more vintage TX's
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank
Hi Hank
LOL
Sad part of all of this, all of those transmitters can be replaced by ONE Spektrum transmitter! (That works!) New RC fliers don't know how nice they have it.

DennyV
Old 04-16-2011, 10:54 PM   #114
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Red face

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Hi Hank
LOL
Sad part of all of this, all of those transmitters can be replaced by ONE Spektrum transmitter! (That works!) New RC fliers don't know how nice they have it.
Hi Denny
It is sad
But then im not one to talk, as i also jumped on the 2.4 bandwagon as well
Now most of my Tx and Rxs are collecting dust in displays around my shop/den
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

Old 04-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #115
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Hi Denny
It is sad
But then im not one to talk, as i also jumped on the 2.4 bandwagon as well
Now most of my Tx and Rxs are collecting dust in displays around my shop/den
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank
You'll like that transmitter, a number of fellow club members have it. As for me, I've got a lowly DX7, plus another DX7 brand new out of the box with a receiver for $150 bought from a club member as a backup.

DennyV
Old 04-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #116
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

View Lieutenant Loughead's Gallery35
Club: Flown 517 days in a row!
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (24)

How is a DX7 "lowly"?

Owner of the UNCLUB flying site and hobby shop in Arcadia, OK.

AMA #930992
Old 04-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #117
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
How is a DX7 "lowly"?
LOL
"Lowly" when compared to other club members with their $1000 JR Radios! (Of course they are flying $8000 turbine jets with them.)

DennyV
Old 04-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #118
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by dumo01 View Post
Had a discussion with one of the club members who has been around a long time, he says that back in the 80s single stick transmitters were more common than double stick. The stick was gripped with the whole hand, elevators and ailerons as expected, rudder control was a rotary motion on the stick, I was not able to follow how the throttle control was built into the stick, but apparently was a pot you were able to adjust with one finger of the hand gripping the stick. He said the design fell out of favor as more channels were added to the transmitter/ receiver systems.
I used to fly a lot of flight sim, and one of the flight systems I had used a rotary motion of the stick for rudder control. It was a very intuitive easy to use system, that would seem to lend itself easily to RC flight.
Blimey I forgot all about those 'heathen machines' .... yep - the rotatable stick top ! Throttle was usually a ratchet trim like control below it. Bl***y awful way to fly IMHO .... I tried once back in late 70's .. I repeat ONCE !
On that ... Aileron / Elevator as we have now ... stick top was rudder, trim style ratchet below as throttle.

For him to say common in the 80's ?? Maybe across the Pond in USA ... but very rarely seen in UK ... in fact I only ever remember seeing the one I mention above ... and that guy soon relegated it to the hobby room as an antique !! Only ever saw him with it the one time.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 04-24-2011, 01:06 AM   #119
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

One thing I seem to remember about the old EK 7 channel I had. It was very easy to feed in a little bit of rudder with aileron for smooth coordinated turns, and also very easy to do side slips with crossed aileron/rudder/ And the hrottle slide on the case side seemed to make it so easy to do smooth continuous trottle changes during manueves, such as feeding increasing throttle going up and over in a loop, then backing off on the back side for unusually smooth, round loops.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #120
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

I started out with thumbs, but have moved to the pinch as I'm trying to get into 3D. Not sure exactly why, but I feel I have a lot better rudder control if I pinch. If I use my thumbs when sport flying, I'm catching myself taking the fingers off the left stick and resorting to banking and yanking.

So I've turned into a pincher. And I'm thinking of getting a transmitter tray, since they make it easier to pinch. But then again, transmitter trays look really pretentious, and I'm not sure I'm good enough for one yet...

AMA #959089
Old 01-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #121
dumo01
dumo01

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assc
Friends: (7)

I agree I think the pinch method would give me better control if I could get past the initial change. I keep working on using the pinch when I am sim flying and once in a while with a real plane, but if I really am trying to to do something I end falling back on the thumb method. I have seen a number of guys use the pinch without a tray, but the tray looks a lot easier than trying to reach around to support the tx and use two fingers on the sticks.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:20 AM   #122
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

Thumbs for fly'in,,,,Pinch'in's for hold'in kids ears when they fly off the handle!! bubsteve

Monkey Minion'air
Old 01-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #123
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

Last month, flying at another field as a guest, I changed after about 8 minutes from my usual pinch to a thumbs mode just to see if I could do it. A couple guys asked me if I was having radio troubles. Apparently, the change from pinch to thumbs showed up in my flying, especially when the wind was gusting to over 10 mph. Long ago, I tried using a neck strap to support the tranny, and on one occasion, I actually tried someone's tray. Found out for me that using the little and ring fingers to hold the box and using thumb and index fingers to pinch the sticks was a lot easier and more convenient than either strap or tray. Also, I was a LOT more comfortable carrying the running plane (yes, I still fly a large amount of glow)to the flightline without the transmitter being attached to my body. Anything dangling from my neck always seems unsafe around rotating machinery.
The guy only used the tray for about one season. Didn't like having to ask someone to carry the plane to the flightline, and carrying it himself was too aukward.
A couple flyers in our area (4 rc clubs within 18 mile radius) also had problems with spinning props and neck straps.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #124
Smaug067
BranNewbie

Friends: (9)

After doing some research online as well as talking to others and using the library (showin' muh age here) I 'pinch' with my thumbs on the ends of the sticks, and my index fingers at the base of them. Makes small adjustments easier, and helps me to make throttle and rudder adjustments without wandering sideways; thus flying straight and level.

Eric
Old 01-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #125
CNY_Dave

Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by Smaug067 View Post
After doing some research online as well as talking to others and using the library (showin' muh age here) I 'pinch' with my thumbs on the ends of the sticks, and my index fingers at the base of them. Makes small adjustments easier, and helps me to make throttle and rudder adjustments without wandering sideways; thus flying straight and level.

Eric
I'm going to try that, it might give me better feedback when it's cold out and I'm wearing gloves with the index and thumbs cut off.

Dave

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > General RC E-Heli Talk