Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-25-2010, 02:28 AM   #151
KID

Friends: (2)

ok, after readint this I have one request, can you give me a list of crtitical parts and how they work in in order..and if my oder is correct below?

so, this is how they work?
your battery connects to the ESC, the ESC then goes to the motor, which converts the power to mechanical tourqe that turns the prop.

so, the ESC controls how much power gets from the battery to the motor? now, were do the radio parts come in? how do the fit into this equation?

is possible to get a digram on a plane with all the parts in place so I can get a visual image of how this all works together?
Old 12-25-2010, 02:34 AM   #152
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

Theres another wire that goes to the RX from the ESC,, it also in most cases this powers the servos though the RX wire, your bubsteve

Monkey Minion'air
Old 12-25-2010, 02:41 AM   #153
KID

Originally Posted by stevecooper View Post
Theres another wire that goes to the RX from the ESC,, it also in most cases this powers the servos though the RX wire, your bubsteve
what is the RX and what Is it's job?
Old 12-25-2010, 02:45 AM   #154
stevecooper
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

It's the receiver=RX ,,transmitter=TX,, sorry i shoulda told you,, bubsteve

Monkey Minion'air
Old 12-25-2010, 02:48 AM   #155
KID

It's the receiver=RX ,,transmitter=TX,, sorry i shoulda told you,, bubsteve

ok, so it makes a y shape

battery-ESC-1/2
1. motor-prop

2. reciever-transmitter

right?
Old 12-25-2010, 03:08 AM   #156
stevecooper
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Look at this, it'll help so much,, I'll find a diagram someplace, bubsteve
Getting Started

Monkey Minion'air
Old 12-25-2010, 03:28 AM   #157
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (15)

Look at this, it'll help so much,, I'll find a diagram someplace, bubsteve
Getting Started
BUB! What's that link pointing to? merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2010, 03:32 AM   #158
stevecooper
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Oop's bubsteve

Monkey Minion'air
Old 12-25-2010, 03:38 AM   #159
KID

lol, link didnt work, but thanks for the help man, I appreciate it alot, you have no idea. AND MERRY CHRISTMAN TO ALL YOU GUYS!
Old 12-25-2010, 03:44 AM   #160
stevecooper
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

The Bub's here are the best and care the most,, no other site is as helpful and fun as This mess-o-watt'nut's,,bubsteve

Monkey Minion'air
Old 12-25-2010, 03:49 AM   #161
KID

The Bub's here are the best and care the most,, no other site is as helpful and fun as This mess-o-watt'nut's,,bubsteve
haha thats good. Im starting to leave the airsoft forums as there are so many kids thinking there better then the guys like me who shoot real steel..whatever.

I need a new hobby and this is it man! but I am thinking until I totally understand it and can get some parts, either second /third..fourth hand I will stick to building static models and get help from you guys on those.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:07 AM   #162
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Default E-Power system wiring.

Here is a diagram that might help clarify. In this diagram the ESC (electronic speed control) also functions as a BEC (battery eliminator circuit) which provides the power for the radio receiver, and the servos via the receiver. In this configuration the ESC supplies power to the receiver and the receiver supplies the throttle command signal to the ESC. The receiver supplies both power and channel position command signals to each of the servos.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E-Power system wiring.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	140954  
Old 12-25-2010, 04:11 AM   #163
KID

Originally Posted by MustangMan View Post
Here is a diagram that might help clarify. In this diagram the ESC (electronic speed control) also functions as a BEC (battery eliminator circuit) which provides the power for the radio receiver, and the servos via the receiver. In this configuration the ESC supplies power to the receiver and the receiver supplies the throttle command signal to the ESC. The receiver supplies both power and channel position command signals to each of the servos.
ok, much like I thought, now what are servos? I look in the biggining of the thread and didnt see them but there was so much info I most likely missed them. would servo's be like your retracts and lights?
Old 12-25-2010, 04:17 AM   #164
stevecooper
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

they move the control surfaces like the rudder and ailerons, the hook-up to the RX ,bubsteve

Monkey Minion'air
Old 12-25-2010, 04:27 AM   #165
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by KID View Post
ok, much like I thought, now what are servos? I look in the biggining of the thread and didnt see them but there was so much info I most likely missed them. would servo's be like your retracts and lights?
A servo is a small motor with gears and some electronics. It takes power and a "position" command signal from the receiver and rotates its output shaft to correspond to the commanded position.

As BUBSTEVE said, they move the flight control surfaces, and optionally wheel retracts, candy-drop hatch release, pilot's head, camera shutter, etc. I suppose you could use one to turn a light switch on and off but there are better (lighter weight and more reliable) ways of doing that.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:30 AM   #166
KID

A servo is a small motor with gears and some electronics. It takes power and a "position" command signal from the receiver and rotates its output shaft to correspond to the commanded position.

As BUBSTEVE said, they move the flight control surfaces, and optionally wheel retracts, candy-drop hatch release, pilot's head, camera shutter, etc. I suppose you could use one to turn a light switch on and off but there are better (lighter weight and more reliable) ways of doing that.
so servo's movwe your flaps, and rudder? and everything mentioned above? haha candy hatch..thats screaming jelly bean bombing runs.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:40 AM   #167
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

so servo's movwe your flaps, and rudder? and everything mentioned above? haha candy hatch..thats screaming jelly bean bombing runs.
You need a "channel" in both the transmitter and the receiver for each separate control. The minimum complement of flight controls is 3. Typically throttle, rudder, and elevator on a "conventional" airframe, or throttle and two elevons on a flying wing style airframe. 4 channels is probably more common and adds ailerons to the first 3 on a conventional airframe. Flaps and retractable gear add 2 more.

A "basic" radio system would have 3, 4, or 5 channels. More advanced radios have 6, 7, 8, or more channels.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:43 AM   #168
KID

You need a "channel" in both the transmitter and the receiver for each separate control. The minimum complement of flight controls is 3. Typically throttle, rudder, and elevator on a "conventional" airframe, or throttle and two elevons on a flying wing style airframe. 4 channels is probably more common and adds ailerons to the first 3 on a conventional airframe. Flaps and retractable gear add 2 more.

A "basic" radio system would have 3, 4, or 5 channels. More advanced radios have 6, 7, 8, or more channels.
I see, sorry about all the Q's. I will have many stupid more Q's till I get the han gof this.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:49 AM   #169
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

I see, sorry about all the Q's. I will have many stupid more Q's till I get the han gof this.
No problem but I'm getting sleepy and I thought I heard sleigh bells.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:54 AM   #170
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Friends: (6)

a few pics of the parts might help
Attached Thumbnails

the yellow thingy with the 3 wires is your esc.the blue thingys are your servos & the part marked spektrum is your receiver.Good winds(because no one likes bad winds)
Old 12-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #171
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

Friends: (8)

The reason servos, receivers are not mentioned in the chapters of the book is because they are not unique to electric flight. They are also used in glow, gas, diesel aircraft, helicopters and gliders. they are also used in cars and boats regardless of power systems.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 12-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #172
stevecooper
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

KID::Merry day to ya!! hope you got a Plane!!bubsteve

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	155980_1652332341963_1046641667_1758502_6525381_n.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	140972  

Monkey Minion'air
Old 12-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #173
mred
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

45 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration 
Friends: (3)

The transmitter is the part of the radio that you hold in your hands and transmits the signal to the plane to tell it what you want to do. The receiver is in the plane and receives the signal from the transmitter and after decoding the signal, it sends the command to the servo to tell it where to go. The servo responds to your command telling the control surface where to go. This part has nothing to do with the electronics in the power system and us used to fly the plane. Depending on the power system used, you may have more electronics in the plane to run the motor. The ESC receives the signal just like a servo does and applies power to the motor and depending on how that signal is set determines how the motor reacts to that signal. The receiver sends this signal to the ESC and that in turn sets the speed of the motor.

You don't need to know how this electronics work to fly a plane, but you need to know what each part does and how to hook them up. The size of the servo is determined by the size of the plane. The bigger the plane, the bigger the servo needs to be. A small park flier can get away with using a 9g servo with an output of 15oz or so, but a 33% plane will require a much bigger servo or multiple servos with higher output requirements. The transmitter normally has two sticks that are used to control the plane and these sticks are moved by the thumbs or fingers to tell the controls how to move.

The best thing you can do is find someone that knows how to fly and get them to teach you so you don't go out and start crashing right away. It can get very expensive and time consuming to try and teach yourself how to fly. It can be done, but it is the hard way to do it and most people give up before they learn. Crashing is very depressing, not to mention expensive and most people that try on their own don't make it to the point where they can enjoy the hobby. Getting a flight instructor is the single most important thing you can do to assure success in this hobby. It's a ball to fly a model airplane and is very rewarding after you learn the basics. An instructor is the most important part of learning to fly. He can teach you everything you need to know and will help you to understand what you are doing and why it needs to be done.

The is a very rudimentary discussion on how a radio works and what it does in a plane. There is much more to learn, but it is very simple to learn with help from an instructor and the only easy way to learn. Most instructors are very interested is seeing you learn and will go out of their way to help a new person getting into the hobby. Most of them get as much fun out of helping a new guy as flying their own planes. Hope you learn to enjoy the hobby and learn how to build and install the equipment and do it right. There is a right way and a wrong way to do just about everything in life and if you learn the right way, you will get much more enjoyment out of whatever you are doing. Good luck and if you have any more questions, ask away.

Ed
Old 12-26-2010, 12:40 AM   #174
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

Friends: (8)

Nice summary mred.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 02-18-2011, 01:32 AM   #175
Sportfire87

Friends: (0)

I've just joined the group. Have been away from R/C for a few years after 10 years of flying glow. I've decided to go strictly electric this time. I want to thank you gentlemen for getting all this material together in one place. For me, it's like starting all over again and the "Every thing you wanted to know..." is priceless!

Bob in Western NC

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions

Tags
electric , flight , powered , wanted