Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > General RC E-Heli Talk
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General RC E-Heli Talk General discussion forum for electric powered rc helis.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-22-2008, 07:20 AM   #1
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5
Friends: (14)
Default Wanted: More Heli Pilots

I need to share...

This RC heli thing has been great and I've appreciated all the great info posted here on wattflyer. BUT, as I look through the new posts, I have to admit I'm bummed that so few of them are in respect to helis. I also have to admit that I do frequent another heli site (HeliFreak) but I'd much rather spend my time here.

I can't discount Finless over there (I don't think that anyone that knows anything about RC helis can discount him). And the focus is HELIs! But I still feel that wattflyer is the place to be. What we need here are more heli pilots that want to talk about rc heli stuff.

If you are a heli pilot or are aspiring to be one, start posting! Let's make wattflyer look like wattheli!

Thanks for listening.
Warren.

" The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly. 'Tis dearness only that gives everything its value" - Thomas Paine
Old 03-22-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Friends: (13)

I used to fly heli's, I was not an expert at it, but the costs in replacement parts and upgrades ended up to be too expensive to me, especially when I could have taken the same amount of money for a great deal more RC planes and gear. I opted to sell my heli's and never really looked back. Some day when I can afford to toss away a ton of money and not care about it, I'll pick it up again. I think this is the reason they aren't so popular here because people are aware that is what they would be facing, so stick with planes.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
detach8

Send a message via AIM to detach8 Send a message via MSN to detach8
Friends: (0)

much agreed planes (especially epp foamie gliders) are probably the cheapest form of RC hobby one can find. cars, boats, helis are really expensive.

however i'm a fan of complex stuff like the heli. i keep two helis -- the esky king v1 with some v2 upgrades and the TT mini titan, plus a really nice multiplex easyglider and an IFO (flying kite). i would love to try an edf plane sometime, like F15 maybe.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5

You guys are killing me!

Let's talk helis!

" The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly. 'Tis dearness only that gives everything its value" - Thomas Paine
Old 03-22-2008, 10:36 PM   #5
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Friends: (13)

I've made a set of main blades for the Axe CP, haven't heard any feedback from my friend I gave them to, the same with the blade CP. The stock ones were not that hard to duplicate. I also ended up replacing parts on my blade with carbon fiber. What did that bird in is when I bought some of those plastic blades, the interta wreaked havvoc on the airframe and after a few short expensive flights with them, I opted to reccomend people to stick with the original stock balsa blades, for you want them to take the abuse and cave in rather then taking out the rest of the heli.

To the toy heli world, I was the first guy to write an online review of the havvoc heli, I did pick up the latest generation of it last winter, even though it looked better, it didn't fly as well at all, I opted to take it back, I also picked up the harbor freight heli, that one was a major piece of junk, I took it back as well.

Heli G, I don't have a ton to share on them, so what I have to say is going to be limited, simply because of my experience level. I highly suspect though, the reason heli's aren't as popular here is because this place is limited to only electric flight, most heli's are fuel birds, especially when you get into the larger ones, so it's limiting that venue here.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:34 AM   #6
vortex05
Blade CP, Blade 400

Friends: (1)

What's wrong with a smaller club? The ppl here are much more friendlier than any of the other places. Not to say they aren't friendly to begin with.

I started off at RCU but moved here as soon as I graduated from beginner school. Last time I made a blade CP canopy (printable). In order to help HeliG get the word out if any of you can point to a high res graphic of the wattflyer logo I'll see if I can create a custom decaled canopy for all wattflyers to show their support.

Ever since joining wattflyer I've almost exclusively spent my time here. Although runryder, helifreak and sometimes RCU has more information overall in the end it's the welcoming atmosphere and great people that make wattflyer stand out.

Wattflyers have never shouted "use the search button" when asking an old question. Nor have they ever belittled anyone as is common place in so many internet forms. For me it will always be the friendliness and the feeling that no matter who you are, when it comes to heli's your still a beginner :-).

Keep those rotors spinning guys!
Old 03-23-2008, 01:48 AM   #7
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5

vortex05,
You are right small is good... especially if the small is friendly. And the people here at WattFlyer ARE friendly. I'm at a point right now that the addiction is running high and I would sure like to see more info that is heli based every time I hit the New Posts button.

To all involved here at WattFlyer (including our plank buddies) THANK YOU.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #8
MOUNTAINS

Default Helis

hi helig. i live in S.Wales U.K relative newbie to r/c helis though im addicted now. had robins22 for xmas now got 2 plus honeybee cp2 and fp2. cp2 is a nightmare the fp is proving o.k. the weather is the problem at the moment its either wet and calm or bright and windy. sitting here at the moment watching it pouring down so no practise today i cant check out latest work on cp2. i do agree with posts regarding costs didnt think it would be so expensive to keep theses things in the air. all the best. Kevin
Old 03-23-2008, 02:38 PM   #9
neilg.

Default my rant

I'm trying to be a heli pilot, but to be a real pilot i gots to go outside, the weather is not tame right now for an inexperienced newbie pilot like myself. so i spend my time stripping down both cx2's, rebuilding them, hoping they fly again. 1 cx2 is stock, the other is a creation that, i guess, reflects who i am !

i am a blue collar worker and have budget restraints, but with the overtime i have created for myself (a different topic for a different day) i feed a little into the household checkbook and i feed a little more into my growing habit (65% - 35%) 65% of overtime goes to hobby.

i do not believe i am not ready for a 3D copter, but what the heck. 2 more weeks and i will be the proud father of a blade 400 . you got to have stones and be prepared for the worse, and this i am. so 2 or 3 degrees on the cyclick and i am airborne.

i do have to learn about positive and negative and why the heading lock gyro doesn't work in certain modes on the 400.

i did join the AMA so that might help if i get off course.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #10
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5

Originally Posted by neilg. View Post
i am a blue collar worker and have budget restraints, but with the overtime i have created for myself (a different topic for a different day) i feed a little into the household checkbook and i feed a little more into my growing habit (65% - 35%) 65% of overtime goes to hobby.
That's what I'm talking about! Nice work!

Old 03-23-2008, 06:11 PM   #11
detach8

sometimes i envy people living in places with seasons. where i am it's all year round summer and that's either bright sunny or wet windy. how i wished there was winter and everyone's just freezin their ass off so they spend their time at home building up helis (that's really part of the whole fun too). i spend 90% of my time either out or working. i'm hardly at home. driving around @ SG $2/l of fuel and basic Toyotas going at SG 50,000 each this hobby is getting a tad more expensive to maintain! and big open empty spaces that's not infested with muddy puddles and dogs are getting rare! that's so much for living in a developed city.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:23 PM   #12
bassplayinDude

Club: www.nedsinct.org
Awards Showcase

Ambassador Award 
Friends: (5)

i do not believe i am not ready for a 3D copter, but what the heck. 2 more weeks and i will be the proud father of a blade 400 . you got to have stones and be prepared for the worse, and this i am. so 2 or 3 degrees on the cyclick and i am airborne.

i do have to learn about positive and negative and why the heading lock gyro doesn't work in certain modes on the 400.

You're going to love the Blade 400. I took mine up for flight #3 last Friday and actually ended with the heli in the same condition as it was at the beginning, which is a first for me.

I almost didn't fly it because I took my Honey Bee Fixed Pitch out and within two minutes I had destroyed the center hub and rotor head. Was worried I was going to do the same with the Blade, but it's so much more stable which made it much easier to keep under control.

Of course, with stability comes with the frightening thought that I'm flying a floating weed-wacker / head remover so I was pumped with adrenaline during the whole flight! Still, it was a great feeling to finally fly and come home with a B400 that's still ready to fly.

I noticed you mentioned the gyro in your post. I did not fly in idle up mode (I know I would chop the throttle causing very bad things to happen) so my observations are from a viewpoint of non-idle up flying. First, the gyro keeps the tail stable. If I don't change headspeed, the tail doesn't move from where it's pointed. When I did increase headspeed, the tail moved clockwise, and when I decreased headspeed, the tail moved counter (or anti) clockwise. I was pondering adding some mixing in order to add left rudder when increasing throttle, but at some point I need to switch to using idle up and I don't want to mess up the tail when flying in idle up mode.

Anyway, if that didn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to clarify.

What I will say is after successfully flying my Blade 400 last week, it's hard to look at my Honey Bee Fixed Pitch the same way. I still need an indoor trainer though, so the HBFP and Blade CX2 will still be used for orientation training.

Us new heli pilots should stick together so we can compare notes and pass along tidbits that we pick up along the way.

E-Flite Blade mCP-X, mQX
Lightflite BUG
Old 03-24-2008, 05:15 PM   #13
buzzbomber
Matt Smith

View buzzbomber's Gallery11
Friends: (3)

I'll chime in to keep the thread moving...

I've been interested in r/c helis since I first saw one at the local club over 15 years ago, but at that point in my life, they were far too complicated, exotic, and expensive for me to even consider. At the time, I was struggling to put together a telemaster with my father.

A few years ago, my heli-tinkering friend's co-worker was selling all his gear due to a job change and impending move. When he offered me his complete scale Hummingbird setup(think HBFP w/ scale Bell 222 body) for $100, I couldn't resist. That heli lasted long enough to teach me basic hovering and pirouettes, but I finally killed it trying to learn forward flight. Finances and work demands prevented me from pursuing helicopters any further at the time.

A couple of the heli jocks in my club have been pestering me for a while to get another heli--they say that the way I handle my planes would translate well to heli flying. Anyway, when I saw the Blade 400, I caved and picked up the first one I saw at the LHS. So far, free time and weather constraints have only allowed me to get in 3 flights, but already I can tell this ship is FAR easier to hover than the fixed pitch jobs. Looking forward to posting more in the heli section here.

Matt

Down with Gravity!
Old 03-24-2008, 05:40 PM   #14
vortex05
Blade CP, Blade 400

Wow the blade 400 is getting very positive reviews... It's actually starting to sway my opinion of what's the next heli to get. I originally was planning (it'll take me a few more years) to upgrade to a TREX450 SE V# (whatever is released in 3 years). Along with the equivalent DX6i radio setup (DX7 is out of my budget the i does fine from what I hear).

But if the blade 400 is truly that great maybe I'm wasting my time looking at TREX since the blade 400 comes with radio gear at a truly fantastic price.

Just in case your wondering why I say 3 years, that's the time I estimate I will take to learn inverted flight on my blade cp trainer. After being able to do nose in, and forward flight I still need to learn reverse flight, high speed circles (funnels without tail pointed down), proper funnels... etc. I can do stall turns so I guess I'm learning ok.

My intention with more expensive models is to avoid the bucket of inital crashes at the beginning due to inexperience, dumb thumbs is an eventuality I can accept.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:01 PM   #15
bassplayinDude

Awards Showcase

Ambassador Award 

vortex05,

That's why I picked up a Honey Bee Fixed Pitch heli. The first time I flew my Blade 400 I really didn't know what I was doing, which caused an expensive crash in about 30 seconds (the battery took about 5 minutes to recharge, if that gives you any idea of how short my first flight was ). I decided I'd rather get through the really stupid mistakes with a heli that could take it (the HBFP) and then once I was better with hovering I'd start learning on my B400.

After last week I'm confident I can start hovering exercises on my B400. I'll still use my HBFP & CX2 for orientation and basic flight practice while spending the occasional battery charge hovering the B400. It sounds like you already have your 'trainer' heli to work with.

I wouldn't completely discount a TREX over a B400 though. The reason the TREX usually comes out so much more expensive is because it usually equipped with the best electronics available for purchase. Heck, the cost of servos & gyro alone for the TREX will probably run you $250 and you still need the heli, radio, motor, and ESC.

E-Flite Blade mCP-X, mQX
Lightflite BUG
Old 03-24-2008, 06:13 PM   #16
neilg.

it's the technical part that scares me. i hope blade 400 comes with a good owner's manual.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:25 PM   #17
vortex05
Blade CP, Blade 400

If this hobby has taught me anything is when your ready to get a proper bird you go all in. I realize I'll be somewhere close to $1000 when I'm all settled up with the TREX so I'm saving up till then. Who knows maybe I'll come across a used airframe in the next 3 years could end up spending less than $1000 my first experience. With the blade CP I got used it was a very positive experience. So, when I'm ready to buy again I might be hunting down those ppl that want to get into gassers and take their TREX off their hands :-)
Old 03-24-2008, 06:43 PM   #18
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5

vortex05,
That's what I did. I finally took the plung! My wife wasn't so excited about the $1000+ price tag but it will be worth it. The stability is greater and I don't have to worry about upgrades. The V2 is already there!

I've struggled in many different areas in respect to upgrades. Do I buy cheaper and upgrade later... well, this costs more in the long run.

I think that if you know you are into helis (CX2 or something to wet the appetite), then just pull the trigger!

Oh, by the way... thanks for getting this thread running. I look forward to hearing everyones thoughts, feelings, and OPINIONS!

Old 03-24-2008, 07:34 PM   #19
bassplayinDude

Awards Showcase

Ambassador Award 

it's the technical part that scares me. i hope blade 400 comes with a good owner's manual.

You can read the owner's manual here (.pdf file link).

E-Flite Blade mCP-X, mQX
Lightflite BUG
Old 03-24-2008, 07:55 PM   #20
vortex05
Blade CP, Blade 400

the Blade CP was and still is a great training platform for me it allows me to go all the way to mild 3D and prepares me to control a larger bird. It also is pretty cheap to repair in the long run, and after watching kyle stacey fly the blade cp bone stock (except the TX) I'm convinced that the heli is limited by pilot ability rather than it's own performance envelope.

I won't be upgrading my CP that's a given but once I can fly the CP like stacey I think it's about time to move up. Reference and http://www.raymondstacy.com/pics/cpg90sm.wmv but I doubt I'll do all the mods required to get it to behave like nick maxwell's machine
Old 03-24-2008, 08:50 PM   #21
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5

I've got an excellent CP Pro for sale. Interested? PM me. I'll post pics in the next couple days.

Posted under helis for sale!

Old 03-25-2008, 01:46 PM   #22
bajinuk

Nice flying Vortex. Thats one brave camera-man. How long have you been flying helis and how many have you destroyed to become that good.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:50 AM   #23
detach8

that doesn't look quite possible with a brushed motor. a brushless maybe...
Old 03-26-2008, 04:27 AM   #24
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5

Here is some fun heli info!

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...735#post382735

Old 03-26-2008, 05:22 AM   #25
vortex05
Blade CP, Blade 400

Originally Posted by bajinuk View Post
Nice flying Vortex. Thats one brave camera-man. How long have you been flying helis and how many have you destroyed to become that good.

It's not me flying, I referenced a pilot that I thought marked the best you can do with the blade CP.

The two pilots are Kyle Stacey, and Nick Maxwell.

Nick has a very tricked out ride, while Kyle really hasn't done that many upgrades.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > General RC E-Heli Talk

Tags
heli , pilots , wanted