Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > General RC E-Heli Talk
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General RC E-Heli Talk General discussion forum for electric powered rc helis.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-05-2008, 07:10 AM   #76
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5
Friends: (14)

I'm finished the basement project.
I'm on vacation with my 3 boys visiting Bapa & Mama.
I flew my T-rex for a few minutes today.
I get to play all week... helis & poker

" The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly. 'Tis dearness only that gives everything its value" - Thomas Paine
Old 04-06-2008, 03:15 AM   #77
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

View Figure.N9ne's Gallery8
Club: Mako's RC Jet Club
Send a message via AIM to Figure.N9ne
Friends: (3)

today was a great day. went out to the club field with all my glow planes and my trex. the glow planes never came out of the car. put about 20 or so packs through the 450 though. i've got loops, rolls, stall turns, 540 stall turns, perfect and close to the ground. tic tocs just wont work, i dont know if its just me or the 12t pinion and wooden blades. winds were near 20 mph so any fast backward flight was hairy as the tail would wag a lot. i've got the inverted hovers going but super high up so i need to practice them a bit more on the sim. i'm also surprised at how well the 450 auto's from about 6 feet, for some reason i thought it wouldnt.

i got pretty lucky too, a screw fell of from the part on the tail that holds the grips to the slider so one grip was spinning freely in the air, i noticed i had very little rudder authority in turns and on pitch pumps the tail would break loose and piro's were super slow. luckily i was able to land and replace the screw and no damage done!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this thing.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:45 AM   #78
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5

Yaniel,
You are killing me! OK, so I need to practice more... Are you using RealFlight G4? If so, have you downloaded the T-rex 450SE V2? What is your thoughts on it. And how much time did you spend on the sim during your year of sim practice?

" The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly. 'Tis dearness only that gives everything its value" - Thomas Paine
Old 04-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #79
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by HeliG View Post
Yaniel,
You are killing me! OK, so I need to practice more... Are you using RealFlight G4? If so, have you downloaded the T-rex 450SE V2? What is your thoughts on it. And how much time did you spend on the sim during your year of sim practice?
i use 3.5 and i do have the 450se v2 model for it, i actually find the sim a lot harder than real life so when i got the real thing it felt pretty easy. i'm usually on the sim a couple of hours a day at work so in that year i've had a lot of sim time.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #80
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

dumb thumbs > trex

both lower silver cf frames, main shaft, blades, feathering shaft, skids, boom, tail blades, main gear, fly bar. thats all the damage i've found so far.

before i took off i was thinking about what i'm doing wrong on the tic toc and how to improve the collective management to try to finally be able to do it. i took off and went to do a flip and when i started flipping my brain just stopped working and i tried to flip it back forward like a tic toc for some reason and in she went. i hit TH a couple of feet off the ground but i guess it wasnt enough.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:24 PM   #81
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5

Ouch! I'm sorry to hear about the crash! I can feel your pain. But I'm glad to hear that you are human. I was starting to think that I was talking to a RC Heli robot.

Well, you were wearing out parts with all the flying so you are just getting your T-rex back to new.

I hope you are flying again soon. When you get up in the air, it would be great to see some vid of your flights.

Best of luck and I am truly sorry to hear of the T-rex demise.

Warren.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:48 PM   #82
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

Ouch! I'm sorry to hear about the crash! I can feel your pain. But I'm glad to hear that you are human. I was starting to think that I was talking to a RC Heli robot.

Well, you were wearing out parts with all the flying so you are just getting your T-rex back to new.

I hope you are flying again soon. When you get up in the air, it would be great to see some vid of your flights.

Best of luck and I am truly sorry to hear of the T-rex demise.

Warren.
my trex is extinct!
yep i'm definitely human lol. add to the damage, one side of the upper frame and the one way bearing also. the crash definitely rattled me though, the whole drive home i was thinking about the stick movements needed to do a flip i just couldnt figure it out, i had done about 50 flips before this and now its like i just forgot. unfortunately my lhs doesnt have the frames in stock so i have to order from readyheli and will be down til probably wednesday. i'm going to go take out some aggression now at the shooting range!

edit: i decided to fire up the sim really quick and do a flip and i did the same thing again, half way into the flip when i moved the collective to negative, i pushed the elevator up like i was doing a tic toc and wrecked again. today just isnt my day to be flying i guess.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:53 PM   #83
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5

Ugh! It sounds like a costly one. Sorry to hear it! What do you think that all the parts will cost you? Would it be worth buying a new V2 kit for the parts and have spares?

Old 04-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #84
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

Ugh! It sounds like a costly one. Sorry to hear it! What do you think that all the parts will cost you? Would it be worth buying a new V2 kit for the parts and have spares?

i already had all the little parts like the woodies, fly bar, main shaft and feather shaft boom and main gears. thats about $25-30 total. the frames were 43 total, so its not THAT bad. the way i look at it is that through out the week i should have had multiple 30 dollar crashes, so one 80 dollar crash isnt the end of the world.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #85
vortex05
Blade CP, Blade 400

Friends: (1)

That's the spirit
Old 04-06-2008, 09:49 PM   #86
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5

Originally Posted by Yaniel View Post
the way i look at it is that through out the week i should have had multiple 30 dollar crashes, so one 80 dollar crash isnt the end of the world.
Nicely put!

Old 04-07-2008, 05:55 AM   #87
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

now i'm pretty amazed. i SHATTERED the screw that holds the main gear onto the shaft in 3 places.

it gets better

the mavrikk tail belt is dead too... this was quite the impact.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:11 AM   #88
Balr14
WWI Jet Ace

We had temperatures in the mid 50s on Saturday and most of the snow is gone, so I decided to take my HBFP outdoors for the first time. It was a lot easier than flying in my little basement room. It was kind of windy, so I got a little more "practice" than I expected. But, it handles more wind than my evil Pico Slow Stick F. Then, I made a bad judgement and broke the tailboom. I was too close to the ground and it tilted back hard when I attempted to change directions too fast.

Walkera 38, Axe CP, Axe CX, Hirobo SRB Quark & GL450.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:44 PM   #89
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5

Here is the definition of pain... I've had my heli for about 3 weeks. Up until Friday, I was working on my basement. I had a little time to put it together and then minimal flight time. My second flight ended in a crash so it sat broken for another 4 or 5 days. I finally get it fixed and have a 3 minute test flight. At that point, I'm thinking that as soon as I get away on vacation, I will be able to fly it. Well, I've been at my parents place for 3 days and I haven't flown it. AND now I have 2 full days of painting here to do. No only do I hate painting (my parents are getting older and shouldn't be high up on ladders - especially on stairs) but now I'm a few more days without flying. And to boot, my sim flights are going well.

Life is good but life sucks too.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #90
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

Here is the definition of pain... I've had my heli for about 3 weeks. Up until Friday, I was working on my basement. I had a little time to put it together and then minimal flight time. My second flight ended in a crash so it sat broken for another 4 or 5 days. I finally get it fixed and have a 3 minute test flight. At that point, I'm thinking that as soon as I get away on vacation, I will be able to fly it. Well, I've been at my parents place for 3 days and I haven't flown it. AND now I have 2 full days of painting here to do. No only do I hate painting (my parents are getting older and shouldn't be high up on ladders - especially on stairs) but now I'm a few more days without flying. And to boot, my sim flights are going well.

Life is good but life sucks too.
that is pain! i couldnt go that long without flying it! i'm sitting regretting not overnighting the parts lol!!! oh well, we can sit here and talk about the short time we've spent with our t450's. thank god for the sim or i'd be going nuts.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:16 AM   #91
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5
Thumbs up

Yes! I finished the first coat of paint at about 1pm today. The weather is warm and the sun is out. I took my T-rex out and had a good time. This thing really hovers nice - even in wind. I finished one battery hovering and some forward flight and moved on to the second battery. I got through most of it and then landed a bit hard (the gusts affect me more when I'm nose in?!?). I was surprised to see that I broke one of my 325 Pro Wood blades with a hard landing. I hope I can get a new set tomorrow but I'm feeling pretty good about the opportunity to fly. It sure was good to get out.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:57 AM   #92
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

Yes! I finished the first coat of paint at about 1pm today. The weather is warm and the sun is out. I took my T-rex out and had a good time. This thing really hovers nice - even in wind. I finished one battery hovering and some forward flight and moved on to the second battery. I got through most of it and then landed a bit hard (the gusts affect me more when I'm nose in?!?). I was surprised to see that I broke one of my 325 Pro Wood blades with a hard landing. I hope I can get a new set tomorrow but I'm feeling pretty good about the opportunity to fly. It sure was good to get out.

nice, no biggie just a blade. i've gotten used to flying in wind. average wind since i got my t450 has been 15 mph. i usually fly in stunt mode since the wind doesnt affect the higher head speed as much. to land i bring it a few inches from the ground and just hit throttle hold and it settles in nicely in the wind.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:58 AM   #93
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5

I have no idea of wind speeds. But it does hover well when the CX2 can't stay still (but that's not saying much ).

Old 04-09-2008, 11:48 PM   #94
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

so after spending like 4 hours rebuilding the heli today, i got to fly it again. i dont know if its not flying for 3 days, or the fact i had to rebuild the entire heli after the crash, or whats happening but i'm flying terrified. i cant nose in, i cant nose in fff, at the end of the 3rd pack i finally started flying circuits. i've lost the touch i'm charging up and installing deans on some kong powers i picked up and i'm going to go try again.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:39 AM   #95
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5

Did the crash and time and cost of rebuilding simply rattle you or scare your wallet? I just dropped $200 in parts so I don't have to keep ordering. Basics with 5 sets of 325 Pro Wood blades.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:36 AM   #96
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

the crashes havent been THAT expensive so i'm still within budget but rebuilding the whole heli takes away from the care free flying experience lol.

so i was regaining confindence, fast forward flight with rolls and loops and after 10 flights today on one of the loops i lost it in the lights (i was flying at night) and down she went. this time i remembered to hit throttle hold, only damage is the blades and my skids turned into "low profile skids" we were amazed because it came in from about 40 feet. i guess i'm just making up for missed crashes from last week. tomorrow i'm placing an order for 5 sets of woodies as well. i was thinking of moving to cf blades but i think i'll hold off.

after my crash, my friend took up his trex 500 and during a tic toc had a nasty boom strike so he's down for repairs too. the heli basically exploded in mid air, was pretty cool to watch actually.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:36 PM   #97
beavenx5

View beavenx5's Gallery17

It would be cool if Wattflyer can pick up in Heli talking as well... The new season is around the corner here in Montreal. Snow is almost gone finally...

I got my first ever heli in February: a TRex 450SEv2. I have been practicing helis on G4 since December and have downloaded the TRex 450SEv2. I am glad to hear that it might be easier to fly the real thing than the simulation.

I have had 2 small mishaps (not even crash) since I finished building it with the help of Finless Bob videos. I am finally about to complete the RADD school technique and hope to get it airborne for the first time this week-end.

Count me in. I will be hanging here for heli talking also.

HZ Supercub - PZ T-28 Trojan (3 of them) - Richmodel P-38 Lightning 52" -Trex 450SE v2 - EF TaylorCraft ...and Real Flight G4.5
Build in Progress: GP P-51D Mustang 57" electric kit
Old 04-11-2008, 12:27 AM   #98
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5

beavenx5,
Glad you are here. Welcome to the addiction.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:31 AM   #99
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

welome aboard beaven!

i got about 5 packs in this afternoon but i was scared the whole time because i was flying with the fiberglass canopy since the paint wasnt dry on my new xl canopy. i dont feel like trashing that 30 dollar canopy!
Old 04-11-2008, 01:03 AM   #100
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

helig: did you get the replacement blades?

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > General RC E-Heli Talk

Tags
heli , pilots , wanted