Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > General RC E-Heli Talk
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General RC E-Heli Talk General discussion forum for electric powered rc helis.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-11-2008, 01:29 AM   #101
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5
Friends: (14)

Yaniel,
The order was placed but I don't have them. I'm expecting them from www.RCHover.com tomorrow or Saturday. They were ordered yesturday afternoon and I recieved an email stating that they were shipped today.

" The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly. 'Tis dearness only that gives everything its value" - Thomas Paine
Old 04-11-2008, 01:35 AM   #102
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

View Figure.N9ne's Gallery8
Club: Mako's RC Jet Club
Send a message via AIM to Figure.N9ne
Friends: (3)

ah ok, hopefully you get them tomorrow, i'm sure you need a fix!

here are some pics of my bird

the beautiful align canopy and my freshly painted new beater 450 xl canopy since i destroyed the old beater yesterday. its ugly and bright, and sure does help with orientation! i also got the k&b yellow tail blades since they're supposed to be better than stock and helps with orientation, along with white skids which are easier to see than the black factory ones. hs65mg's on the cyclic, 3400g on the tail with a 401. since i'm only on a 12t pinion i get great performance from 1800 20c loong max packs and i also use 2200 25c kong powers.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06890-resized.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	62547

Name:	DSC06893-resized.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	62548

Name:	DSC06894-resized.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	62549
Old 04-11-2008, 02:04 AM   #103
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

and i also came to a realization today... i cant turn right. i can turn left like a champ and i never noticed that didnt do right turns, so now i'm practicing those but boy are they choppy.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:27 AM   #104
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5

Yaniel,
You know that you can upload pics into your own photo gallery! I like the idea because then you can see your pics from anywhere.
And nice pics. Looks like mine

" The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly. 'Tis dearness only that gives everything its value" - Thomas Paine
Old 04-11-2008, 02:33 AM   #105
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

thanks for the info, i put them in my gallery now!
Old 04-11-2008, 11:45 PM   #106
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

programming gyro gain while flying = bad. i was having my first flight with the k&b tail blades and was adjusting the gain on the dx7. instead of hitting down, i hit clear and the heli went into a piro of death. luckily i had practiced this a lot on the sim (flying with no tail rotor) first thing i did was hit throttle hold then fight the servo's to keep it level and gave full positive before impact. landed softly on its side, i picked it up, pulled the blades straight, reset the gyro gain and kept on flying. someone loves me.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #107
beavenx5

View beavenx5's Gallery17
Friends: (1)

Hi, I just maiden the TRex tonight . I was not planning on doing so as it was quite dark, a little windy (5-7MPH) and almost raining (tiny little droplets). I had just finished batteries 8-9-10 of RADD school technique and my friend insisted on getting it airborne finally after over a month of waiting.
This is all I needed to push me toward delinquence and try it despite the bad weather. So I put a fresh battery in and liftoff....
It was a real success. All this time on G4 and taking the time to complete the RADD school paid off. Hoovering the T-Rex a few feet off the ground was not all that bad. Not perfect but pretty go. I did not do anything else than hoovering and the wind pushed me a few time forcing me to throttle down and land it but I am quite happy with this first ever heli flight.

HZ Supercub - PZ T-28 Trojan (3 of them) - Richmodel P-38 Lightning 52" -Trex 450SE v2 - EF TaylorCraft ...and Real Flight G4.5
Build in Progress: GP P-51D Mustang 57" electric kit
Old 04-12-2008, 02:02 PM   #108
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

good job beaven, congrats!!
Old 04-12-2008, 04:29 PM   #109
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5

Atta boy beaven. Keep it up! Soon you'll be going for it and breaking parts!!!

Old 04-12-2008, 09:36 PM   #110
beavenx5

Thanks guys.

I already started to break blades on the kitchen counter (together with the casing of the laptop). I don't even need to go for it to break parts:p

Quick question: how tight or loose should the blades be attached to the blade holders when you fly. Should they be able to move a little or do you unscrew them every time you "fold" them and install the foam transport thing?

HZ Supercub - PZ T-28 Trojan (3 of them) - Richmodel P-38 Lightning 52" -Trex 450SE v2 - EF TaylorCraft ...and Real Flight G4.5
Old 04-12-2008, 11:37 PM   #111
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by beavenx5 View Post
Thanks guys.

I already started to break blades on the kitchen counter (together with the casing of the laptop). I don't even need to go for it to break parts:p

Quick question: how tight or loose should the blades be attached to the blade holders when you fly. Should they be able to move a little or do you unscrew them every time you "fold" them and install the foam transport thing?
you should be able to move with a little force. if you have to loosen the screw to move them, they are too tight.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:54 PM   #112
beavenx5

Thanks

Old 04-13-2008, 04:58 AM   #113
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5

Woo Hoo!!! At 8:15 tonight it was still 66 degrees. The day was incredible! The temperature hit mid 70s and at lunch, I was sweating in the sun. What an absolutely incredible day. I worked around the house for most of the day but my parts came in . There's a good way to lose focus.

Anyway, I worked for the rest of the afternoon and this evening I was able to get two good packs in. Everything went well. I'm in close quarters in the front yard so I just spent time hovering tail in and working on nose in. I don't know what the problem is but I was struggling with nose in. I can hover nose in on the G4 all day long but I sure struggled today. I think that the cost of repairs is freaking me out. ***

*** When I got back from Kelowna, my wife asked me how much the parts order was. I told her not to ask but she insisted. When I told her almost $200 she just about flipped. And then when the box came today, she said "That cost $200?" Thus, the fear of repair costs.

Now back to the story...

Well that's the story but everything is good. It is still beautiful here now. What a beautiful day.

thumbs up!

Old 04-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #114
Ron S

Friends: (0)

I started flying helis (trying) about last year. Started out with a Lama coaxl,then got a Blade CP,that was a mistake (big one)! It was too big to really fly indoors,and outside it was a hand full in any kind of wind (which we have allot of here). Finally crashed the CP when the tail motor gave out,and basically,just threw it in the trash,and wrote it off as experence. Then got a HBFP! What a great little heli! It could take a beating (which it got reguarly) and come back for more. I learned to hover,and do FF with it. You had to really "fly the tail" which isn't a bad thing,it taught me to use the rudder,and now it seems natural. I finally flew it too far,and got disorented,and cut the power and went down in a weed field. When I got to it the 4in1 was fried ( I had the throttle trim all the way up). They wanted almost as much for a new 4 in 1 as the cost of the heli,so I gave the airframe to a friend. Sold the Lama to another friend (he is still flying it). This year I got the heli bug again,and got a BCX2 (and allot of extra blades,not my first rodeo). I flew it around the basement for a week. Then went outside (more room) and tried to fly it. Then it all came back,that unless there is NO wind outside you can't fly it! So I knew I needed something that could handle 10-15mph wind. I found a Trex (clone). A Blackhawk 450SE @ KA-Planes,and ordered it. It is SO much easier to fly,I can hardly believe it! I've been flying it for about a week now,and have replaced the "stock" transmitter with my DX7. The features in this radio,allow you to make the heli fly like "you want it to" I've got mine set up sweet and it fly's like a dream! Smooth,easy and stable. As I progress,I can change about anything with the transmitter,to get the performance I want. Ron

Fast O'l Fart 1/2 of Team Terror: If you don't like my flying,stay under your truck! AMA 227194 CX2,Black Hawk450SE,Tooo Many Planes
Old 04-13-2008, 09:39 PM   #115
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

welcome to the thread ron! keep it up with the 450!

today i think i over did it.... flew from 8 am, to 4 pm non stop. i feel bad for the heli, it must be exhausted. i still cant get tic tocs, according to other heli pilots i'm doing it right, but the 12t and the wood blades just arent letting it happen. i mostly worked on fff today. i'm getting pretty smooth maintaining a constant altitude and attitude through the whole circuits. still need more rpactice on the right turns but they're not so bad. spent about 4 or 5 packs just doing inverted nose in hovers, by the 5th pack i was down to about 8 feet and feeling pretty confident with them. i'm laying off rolls and flips for a while, and trying to get more precise with my hovers and general flying, i think that'll benefit me more in the long wrong. so yea... today was a good day!
Old 04-14-2008, 03:09 AM   #116
Ron S

Friends: (0)

Man,it will be a long time until I try inverted! The weather here is terrible! Wind,rain,and way too cold for this time of year. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to spool up the heli without having it "jump"hard side ways, as soon as the motor starts? The esc dosen't have a "soft start" mode. I've been ajusting the gyro in the basement 6'X6' area,and for a flying area, it's kinda tight. I know I shouldn't fly this heli indoors,but it's about the only option I have until the weather clears up. I'm slowly learning about gyro's. It drifts (nose right) in HH mode and I'm having to adjust that out. I don't think it will ever hold well,since it's a tellebee( cheap) gyro that came with the heli. I think my next purchase will be a good gyro,and tail servo.Ron

Fast O'l Fart 1/2 of Team Terror: If you don't like my flying,stay under your truck! AMA 227194 CX2,Black Hawk450SE,Tooo Many Planes
Old 04-15-2008, 04:09 AM   #117
beavenx5

Oups, fist crash late this afternoon while practicing nose in. I was not at a safe altitude (6-7 feet only) and reversed my command for a fraction of a second... Did not have fast enough reflex to hit throttle hold on top of this. Although it was not a hard hit on the soft grass the damages were more substancial that I would have liked it:
Wood blades in multiple pieces (OK normal)
Main shaft bed
Fethering shafts bend
Flybar bend
all 3 collective servos stripped gears, 2 of them totally dead (JR DS285)
Main gear stripped
training gear broken
front landing gear cracked

All this from a 6' off the ground semi-rough landing at 45 degree angle What is it gonna be when I really hit hard?
I know: only blades and bend shaft if I hit throttle hold and am a little luckyier.
I got all the replacement parts already from my LHS except the servos. I got 3 sets of new gears but did not expect 2 of them to somehow die...

I am thinking about getting some hitec instead even if my LHS does not carry them. What do you think? The JRs look pretty weak for me.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:24 AM   #118
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5

I cannot speak in respect to JR servos but I have been quite happy with my Hitec HS-65MG. I've had a few good crashes already but no servo problems. And as you read most of the forums, almost all of them recommend the 65MGs.

There you have it.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:29 AM   #119
Balil
foam murderer :D

Friends: (2)

my problem is i cannot fit the 65mg's in my blade 400.... its a real pain in my ass

what goes up, must come down! *looks around* sometimes they come down harder than we intend
Old 04-15-2008, 07:55 PM   #120
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5

Originally Posted by Balil View Post
my problem is i cannot fit the 65mg's in my blade 400.... its a real pain in my ass
Balil,
I've heard that the 65MGs will fit. You may need to do a little adjusting. Go to the Helifreak website and look at Finless' video in the Trex 450 build that is specific to installing the 65MG.
Trying to explain where it is was harder than giving you the link... http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=11373 You will find that it is the second video to download.
Watch it! You will be able to install the 65 with a little fitting (small file). I've been told that it almost fits stock so with a little finess, you will be good to go.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:21 PM   #121
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by HeliG View Post
Balil,
I've heard that the 65MGs will fit. You may need to do a little adjusting. Go to the Helifreak website and look at Finless' video in the Trex 450 build that is specific to installing the 65MG.
Trying to explain where it is was harder than giving you the link... http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=11373 You will find that it is the second video to download.
Watch it! You will be able to install the 65 with a little fitting (small file). I've been told that it almost fits stock so with a little finess, you will be good to go.

from what i've heard the blade 400 needs more than a little filing to fit the 65mg's on it. the servo's that come on it from eflite are 7.5g
Old 04-15-2008, 08:46 PM   #122
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5

It's a good day... Practice makes perfect... I love my job!

I have settled into another 48 hour shift here at the fire station. At lunch, I took a few minutes and flew my T-rex through a full pack. I had been struggling to hover nose in and almost the whole pack was hovering nose in this time. No crashes, no hard landings! I did make myself a little nervous a couple times though. The open space (available for flight) in the apparatus bay is about 20 feet by 30 feet. As I was hovering, I think that my heli was feeling lonely and wanted to be close to me. Unfortunately, the black things spinning around at high speeds scare me a bit. I really don't want to be cut by main blades or any blades for that matter - especially at work (how would I explain that to my Captain and Batallion Chief?!?)
"Uh, Chief, can you take us out of service? I have to go to the ER."
"Why, what happened?"
"Well I cut myself pretty bad."
"How?"
"Well, I have an RC helicopter and I thought it would be fun to play with it at work..."
Get the idea!
Anyway, when Rex wanted to get close, I had to talk to my thumbs (who have a tendency to be DUMB THUMBS) so that we were on the same page.
Fortunately, no problems! And as I said before, no crashes and no hard landings.

Life is good... I love my job... This hobby is a blast... Life is good!

Old 04-16-2008, 04:26 AM   #123
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5

Have I said how much I love this heli? Another successful pack. I'm not Yaniel and doing all the cool 3D crap yet but it'll come. For now, I'm hovering facing anyway and doing well. Maybe I should take the training wheels off soon but I'm still a little scared to do that. The training gear and balls really cushion harder landings.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:26 AM   #124
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

and another crash... cost of damage... whatever a ball link costs, 5 cents maybe.

i was getting brave at the field, doing inverted piro flips i did about 15 with no problem but the last one i didnt come the whole way around and lost a little orientation, since i was flying my friends curtis youngblood cf blades, i didnt want to break them so i hit TH while still about 15 feet in the air. as soon as i hit TH i saw the heli was inverted flying backwards and i was pissed, all it needed was a little left and some positive pitch, or even just some negative to get it away from the earth but i had already hit throttle hold. oh well at least nothing happened.

oh and the headbutton stripped off but thats getting reattached with jb weld tonight.

tic tocs also become almost possible with the cf blades, my collective management still sucks, so maybe i'll be able to do it with the 13t pinion. also i'm getting better at inverted nose in hover, i'm getting it about 3 feet off the ground, maybe when the wind slows below 15 mph i'll bring it lower. and i hate my friend for lending me the CF blades, i never want to fly the woodies again.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:44 AM   #125
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5

Sigh. Boy I feel bad for you. Must be tough being able to do all that CRAP already!!!

What is the head button really for? When I attached mine, I looked at it and thought that it was pretty much a waste of aluminum!?!

I've been thinking that my hovering has been getting pretty good. I was excited about it and then I read about your inverted hover.

You had mentioned that you thought the woodies were hindering the tic tocs. The CF blades didn't rectify that?

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > General RC E-Heli Talk

Tags
heli , pilots , wanted