Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > General RC E-Heli Talk
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General RC E-Heli Talk General discussion forum for electric powered rc helis.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-27-2008, 02:36 AM   #176
bassplayinDude

Club: www.nedsinct.org
Awards Showcase

Ambassador Award 
Friends: (5)

Originally Posted by HeliG View Post
Wow! No heli posts... I sure hope you are all out flying this weekend. I haven't seen a heli lull like this in a while. I'm here at work so I'm not flying so I'd like to talking to you guys.

Have fun and stay safe.

Warren.
I was on my club's field last Saturday for about 4 hours. Guess everyone was doing the holiday thing as I had the whole place to myself for over 3 hours.

Unfortunately I crashed my HBK2 while trying to iron out some setup issues (I'm not liking this heli) so I didn't get any hovering practice in. Have to get the tail on my B400 tuned up this week and hope for good weather next weekend so I can hover that.

E-Flite Blade mCP-X, mQX
Lightflite BUG
Old 06-03-2008, 05:09 PM   #177
Buzz
Pcar

Friends: (2)

Ok, checking in.... I'm a helicopter chronic! I fly every evening on my property. At the moment, not counting the micro stuff, I've got 7 heli's flying. I don't ever fly indoors.
I like to fly as high as I want.... and I do some aerial video with a small camera mounted on the heli. I'm still flying dual rotor machines... My latest is a Hughes 500 body on a Lama 4 drive train. I also fly with floats and land/take off in the swimming pool. I didn't even know this thread was here until I stumbled across it.
I'm about ready to move up to a Trex... If you're interested in the videos, I can post links to them here.

Remember, the day is not complete without at least one heli flight. I've been flying them for about a year. I flew single rotor many years ago. But, I really like these little dual rotor machines. They're cheap, fun and easy to maintain.

Videos later if you want them!

Cheers!

Buzz
Daytona Beach, FL
Old 06-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #178
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5
Friends: (14)

Buzz,
Welcome to the thread. I started this a while back. It just doesn't seem that there are enough of us heli pilots around. We are such a small group that we need to stick together and battle the forces of the dark world (fixed wing). But seriously, this is a great hobby. I love my Trex although I haven't flown it in about a week. I had a couple of inverted mishaps and after the bulk of the repair, I've had a couple other issues to deal with. I'm sick and it's raining today so flight time doesn't look good for today either (except on G4).

If you want to show us a vid, please feel free. We are all about heli stuff here. Incidently, have you seen the Air 2 Air video that was posted a couple days ago? Pretty cool. I wish I had some heli friends locally.

Warren.

" The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly. 'Tis dearness only that gives everything its value" - Thomas Paine
Old 06-03-2008, 10:02 PM   #179
Buzz
Pcar

Buzz,
Welcome to the thread. I started this a while back. It just doesn't seem that there are enough of us heli pilots around. We are such a small group that we need to stick together and battle the forces of the dark world (fixed wing). But seriously, this is a great hobby. I love my Trex although I haven't flown it in about a week. I had a couple of inverted mishaps and after the bulk of the repair, I've had a couple other issues to deal with. I'm sick and it's raining today so flight time doesn't look good for today either (except on G4).

If you want to show us a vid, please feel free. We are all about heli stuff here. Incidently, have you seen the Air 2 Air video that was posted a couple days ago? Pretty cool. I wish I had some heli friends locally.

Warren.
Thanks, Warren! I believe I've raced, flown, sailed, driven every type of r/c vehicle made! Ha! I do fly fixed wing... but I was drawn back to the light after buying my first little Lama II heli. When I flew single rotor helicopters years ago....there weren't any gyros available. We just flew them like wild men and crashed a lot. Then, I kind of got away from flying and got into high speed car racing. That was fun, but it didn't last long. So, then I went to r/c sailing.... I sail a real boat, and found r/c sailing to be quite a bit of fun too. But, I went back to sail planes and soaring for a couple of years and one day a fellow brought out a dual rotor heli. I was amazed at how well it flew.... and when I got a chance at the controls, I found it to be so much more fun than the old ones... I had to have one.
Now I have a lot of them! I've also got two of the larger Twister Chinook helicopters. They are incredibly stable...

I didn't see the aerial video you mentioned. That's what I get for not reading the entire thread.

Here's a recent one with the Lama III equipped with floats. Like I said, I like to fly them high! I video my own flights by fastening my little "5 in 1" camera to a pair of glasses with no lenses.

I have some more to post later....

Buzz
Old 06-08-2008, 01:40 AM   #180
pooptruckdriver

Friends: (0)

Yes, we need more Heli pilots.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #181
Buzz
Pcar

Originally Posted by pooptruckdriver View Post
Yes, we need more Heli pilots.
I think we need more people to post flying pictures or videos. That may draw more people in here. I know there are more heli pilots on Wattflyer. There are other forums about them.

I have an insane video to post as soon as I finish editing it. My videographer has nerves of steel! I don't think we'll do this one again!

I'll post it shortly.

Buzz
Old 06-10-2008, 01:45 AM   #182
neilg.

Friends: (1)

my air time wouldn't get you 30 seconds of video

if it was a mechanics video, plenty to demonstrate

I'M SURELY TRYIN
Old 06-10-2008, 02:04 AM   #183
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

View Figure.N9ne's Gallery8
Club: Mako's RC Jet Club
Send a message via AIM to Figure.N9ne
Friends: (3)

i need to stop being lazy/cheap and fix my trex. its been sitting for almost a month now.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:23 AM   #184
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5

yeah, quit being lazy and cheap. Where have you been? We haven't heard from you in a while.

" The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly. 'Tis dearness only that gives everything its value" - Thomas Paine
Old 06-10-2008, 03:06 AM   #185
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

yeah, quit being lazy and cheap. Where have you been? We haven't heard from you in a while.
i crashed a few weeks back doing some low rolls over asphalt. i have all the parts here to fix it, but they're the last of my spares and i know after i crash again i'll ave to buy more spares. i've been trying to save money, and not fixing the heli has substantially increased my bank account.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #186
bassplayinDude

Awards Showcase

Ambassador Award 

I'm in the same boat. I've finally repaired my Blade 400 (I think). After all the effort I've spent tweaking and everything, I'm not mentally ready to dump it into the ground again.

E-Flite Blade mCP-X, mQX
Lightflite BUG
Old 06-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #187
BoysToys

View BoysToys's Gallery26
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

Both of my T-Rex's 450 & 500 are currently operational. I would try to get some video but it would be really boring compared to other stuff out there. I am just a sport flyer with some 8's, circles, loops, rolls, and the ocassional nose down funnel thrown in.

I am currently attempted to master inverted hovering and move on to inverted figure 8's. My goal is to be able to complete an inverted circuit by the end of the summer.

The only thing holding me back are my planes. I just built a 3D Hobby Shop Extra and want to fly the snot out of it. I am finding it much easier to learn 3D on a plank than my helis.

T-Rex 700~T-Rex 600N~T-Rex 600ESP~T-Rex 450SE V2
Old 06-10-2008, 05:41 PM   #188
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5

Of course planes are easier to move into 3D but is it as fulfilling?

Old 06-10-2008, 05:42 PM   #189
Buzz
Pcar

Well, I think I've been flying dual rotor long enough. I want to stay electric... but I don't know what to buy for a larger single rotor heli. I know the TRex is a good one, but I don't know if I want to spend that much money. Any suggestions?

In a post above, I promised to post a fairly crazy video. This is dangerous! I don't recommend it unless you have a very brave video person.

Well, I can't open that link! Maybe if I delete the "media" tags....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QcrTpsFoTI
Buzz
Old 06-10-2008, 05:53 PM   #190
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5

Holy crap Buzz. Was he supposed to catch the heli in his teeth?

Dangerous is right. The small helis probably won't kill you but they will still hurt. I can't imagine getting hit in the face with one.

As far as getting yourself another heli, price is a BIG factor. I bought a T-rex 450SE V2. With all the stuff to get going, I dropped about $1200 (including some spare parts). It is a great heli but there certainly is a cost.

If you are interested, I have a CP Pro posted for sale on WF. I don't think you can beat the price with all the extras that come with it. It is an excellent little heli and tons of people have started their flight experience on one.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:33 PM   #191
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by bassplayinDude View Post
I'm in the same boat. I've finally repaired my Blade 400 (I think). After all the effort I've spent tweaking and everything, I'm not mentally ready to dump it into the ground again.

for me its definitely not a mental block. i've dumped the heli 3 times in a single day learning low inverted hovers or trying piro flips. i dont mind crashing at all. i just dont want to spend money right now. the reset button is running low on funds (my wallet)
Old 06-10-2008, 06:58 PM   #192
BoysToys

View BoysToys's Gallery26
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

Of course planes are easier to move into 3D but is it as fulfilling?
I have been flying helicopters for a little over a year. That year has been filled with many ups and downs. I have learned a bunch and my wallet has shed lots of $$$$. My friends can't believe how much time and money it has taken me to get where I am with helicopters.

Because of this, Right now the planes are very fulfilling. I have only been flying fixed wing for about 3 months and am having a blast with them.

I don't want to get into a debate about which is better because they both have their place and I enjoy both.

After flying my helicopters my hands are very sweaty and I am breathing quickly. They are a HUGE rush. After flying my planes I am very relaxed. Because of this, I typically fly a plane first to get warmed up a little. Then fly each of my helis at least once and then rotated between the two while finishing up with a plane before heading home.

Right now, I am just waiting for the wind to die down so I can go out and fly. I will definitely fly both packs through my 500 and at least 2 in the 450 before returning home. I will most likely fly 2 packs in both my Exta and Mini Pulse.

I don't discriminate. I WANT THEM ALL!!

T-Rex 700~T-Rex 600N~T-Rex 600ESP~T-Rex 450SE V2
Old 06-10-2008, 07:25 PM   #193
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5

My wife won't let me have them all. BUT she just let me buy a cruiser for my motorcycle fix.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:38 PM   #194
bassplayinDude

Awards Showcase

Ambassador Award 

Originally Posted by Yaniel View Post
for me its definitely not a mental block. i've dumped the heli 3 times in a single day learning low inverted hovers or trying piro flips. i dont mind crashing at all. i just dont want to spend money right now. the reset button is running low on funds (my wallet)
Yea, I meant to say the money thing is an issue for me as well. Been flying a freebie helicopter sim the last couple of days and it just reinforces the fact I'm not really ready if my heli isn't tail in.

E-Flite Blade mCP-X, mQX
Lightflite BUG
Old 06-10-2008, 08:27 PM   #195
Buzz
Pcar

Holy crap Buzz. Was he supposed to catch the heli in his teeth?

Dangerous is right. The small helis probably won't kill you but they will still hurt. I can't imagine getting hit in the face with one.

As far as getting yourself another heli, price is a BIG factor. I bought a T-rex 450SE V2. With all the stuff to get going, I dropped about $1200 (including some spare parts). It is a great heli but there certainly is a cost.

If you are interested, I have a CP Pro posted for sale on WF. I don't think you can beat the price with all the extras that come with it. It is an excellent little heli and tons of people have started their flight experience on one.
Haha! No, it's not as dangerous as it looks. The video is done using a small 5 in 1 camera...about the size of a Bic lighter. My wife stands in the yard and holds it at arm's length in front of her. It just looks like it's in front of her face... The only real danger is that I'll hit the camera with a rotor blade and shatter it. I also do a trick where she holds the camera out like that and I get close to it, nose in....and she turns in a circle. I have to try to maintain the nose in hover as we go around 360 degrees. But, I certainly don't get this close to her. In this video, her hands and the camera are safely below the rotors....uhhh, except for the one time that I did knock the camera sideways. It's only dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. That's why I don't recommend trying it unless you have been flying for a while.

I'll take a look at your CP Pro... but, I used to fly huge helicopters... way back in the day when there were no gyros. I had a Hughes 300 that was almost 5 ft. long....powered by a nitro burning weed whacker motor.
Now, you want to talk about dangerous! At full throttle and no pitch, I had to run it up wide open, then someone had to crawl under those screaming rotor blades on their stomach and tweak the needle valve on the carb. We finally wised up and started taking off from a card table.

Thanks for the comment!

Buzz
Old 06-10-2008, 10:27 PM   #196
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

buzz i just hope she's wearing eye protection of some sort, if the blades hit the camera and one decides to break it could end badly.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:41 PM   #197
Buzz
Pcar

Originally Posted by Yaniel View Post
buzz i just hope she's wearing eye protection of some sort, if the blades hit the camera and one decides to break it could end badly.
Thanks for the comment, Yaniel. I'll have to get pictures of how we do those close in shots safely. In most cases, she is wearing eye protection, but sometimes we tape the little camera on a stick that she holds up. I've even put a stick into the ground with the camera taped to it....and you get the same results, but after the camera tag... the camera can't follow the helicopter. Shattering a blade is really the biggest danger. But, since she's holding the camera...she can see the blades and move the camera and herself accordingly. And once again....DON'T try this unless you are experienced! How do you get the experience? Put a stick in the ground and when you can nose into it ....touch it and back away repeatedly... then you might be ready to try the camera trick. I'll do another one later with my Chinook. That big thing coming in with 4 rotors blasting sounds like the end of the world!
Old 06-11-2008, 04:57 PM   #198
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

View SkunkyMagoo's Gallery11
Send a message via AIM to SkunkyMagoo
Friends: (21)

So helig, what should I get

TX | JR x9303
RW's | Vibe Fitty - Blade mSR
FW's | 64mm EDF Mirage 2000 - 64mm EDF F-5E Swiss Tiger
Old 06-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #199
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

View Alpea42's Gallery59
Friends: (25)

A Zoom 400 http://www.protech.be I think it's discontinued

THE B-2 Worlds most expensive airplane.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:34 PM   #200
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5

Magoo,
What do you want to spend (or how much do you have to spend )?

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > General RC E-Heli Talk

Tags
heli , pilots , wanted