Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Micro Sized Electric Helicopters Discuss micro and mini sized electric rc helis in here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-10-2006, 05:35 AM   #26
zap3267@charter.net

Friends: (0)

Jay maybe its time to go visit the old man yourself so you can see those little Helis yourself! LOL I can just tell ,that for the money, I got a mean machine! This coming from a newb of course!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:22 PM   #27
Ah Clem

Three more flights today on the VNR3D. I am still getting used to it. Very smooth, but really quick (I realized I keep saying that, but it continues to surprise me).
Old 01-11-2006, 05:26 AM   #28
zap3267@charter.net

My buddy came over and he showed me some soldering tips. The 3 in 1 is a 4 in 1 again LOL The tail is now holding much more firmly. The battery was getting low though so I didnt get it into a hover. Tomorrow I should be able to get her trimmed and flying I hope! I have a question for the VNR3d should I move the flybar weights out to the paddles to slow her down they currently are in close to the flybar. I hear outer limits make the heli more docile and vice versa My NR2 weights are currently against the paddles and Im thinking about moving them in a bit.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:26 PM   #29
Ah Clem

Zap,

My VNR3D did not come with flybar weights. There are wheel collars (ok, the same type of thing as flybar weights, that are mounted to either end of the flybar cage (Flybar Control Tray). These appear to be what holds the flybar from sliding back and forth, as well as transmitting the control from the tray to the flybar.

I would leave them where they are, and make sure that they are tight.

On another thread, the Venom Rep. has suggested moving the pushrods in on the servo arms.

I will attempt to locate the other thread and post a link.

Sounds like your VNRII is all ready to go now.

Have fun!
Old 01-12-2006, 02:09 AM   #30
zappedalaskan

View zappedalaskan's Gallery4

Clem,
you are exactly right. These collars hold the hiller/mixing arm assembly in place. They should be pushed up snug and the set screw loc-tited in. These are not flybar weights. They just look the same. If moved the hiller/mixing arms will develop play and cause adverse effects on the heli, possibly a crash.
Regards,
Jay

There are two dogs inside of me. One is good, one is evil.
These two dogs are always fighting a constant battle.
Which dog wins? The one I feed the most...
Old 01-12-2006, 02:23 PM   #31
zap3267@charter.net

Thanks guys again for saving me from my own demise I have been hovering the VNR2 and am getting closer to being able to keep her up for a full battery pack. Thats my goal before I move on to nose in. What do you guys think about adding some weights to the outer flybar of the VNR3D to slow her down? Or do you think I should just keep working on the VNR2 until Im ready to fly the 3D?
Old 01-14-2006, 06:50 PM   #32
Ah Clem

Keep working with the VNRII until you are completely comfortable, then move the training gear over to the VNR3D and get ready to be shocked at how different it is.

I have flown mine about 20 times now and the more I fly it, the more I like it.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:24 AM   #33
zap3267@charter.net

Hey guys, I have a lot more airtime with the VNR2. I think it may have been a blessing that the 3D needed to go back. It has forced me to fly the NR2. It clicked! I can control the heli in the air indefinitely tail in and tail left but am still learning from any other orientation. WOW. I can fly! If I said that before, well, I lied! I keep thinking about that jump in the collective pitch of the VNR3. What is the secret to hovering that heli about 12 inches off the ground without it jumping to 6-7 feet high all at once? Is it that sensitive or am I doing something wrong?
Old 01-16-2006, 07:30 AM   #34
zappedalaskan

Zap,
It will be more sensative to input, but I am willing to bet it was sticking a little bit and when it came free it threw the pitch to it and caused it to jump so radically, unless you where using the Idle-up mode, then it would have just jumped. Your VNR3D will be a lot more sensative to input that the VNRII is. So be ready for a hot rod when you get it back. Glad to hear your having better luck flying, your well on your way!
Take care
Jay

Old 01-17-2006, 06:28 AM   #35
zap3267@charter.net

Do you fly the Venom 3D inside much? I really would like to get mine back I have 3 battery packs for it and only one for the nr2. The NR2 is flying well still. I haven't use the training gear for some time now and have kept her pretty well together. I used the clips off the training gear to help hold the skids on and this seemed to help with the endurance of the skids. Before I put the clips on I went through a set of skids from breakage probably at least once every few battery packs, but then again my skills have improved too. My landings aren't so painful anymore (usually). I hate training gear. I try and take it slow (radd method) sometimes I lose patience and skip ahead but usually at an expense. Do you guys think I should wait until I can fly nose in before I go back to the 3D?
Old 01-17-2006, 06:51 AM   #36
Ah Clem

I have never flown the VNR3D indoors. I am not comfortable in my small living room. I like to take it to the park, over the grass.

Learn as much as you can on the VNRII and enjoy every moment of it. When you can fly around and are completely comfortable (which it sounds like you are) give the VNR3D a try. Be very careful and very gentle, especially on the collective. It is very quick on cyclic and collective (I realize I keep saying that, but I cannot emphasize it enough).

Keep flying the VNRII also. It helps with reactions to switch from a fast machine to a slow one.

Please keep us posted.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:40 AM   #37
zap3267@charter.net

I used some CA on the NR2 today. I know that it will do more damage if I crash but frankly without it the heli would throw itself out of balance while in the air hovering. I put CA on the tail boom-frame, the paddles at the flybar, The skids to the supports and the tail rotor to the gear. I stress I wouldn't recommend this to someone who isnt already hovering it and landing it well. I am now pretty rock solid in my hover. I have learned a few things while throwing money at this heli Im starting to understand how important setup is. Back to the NR3D what settings would you guys recommend for me on the Throttle and pitch adjustment dials? I prefer to slow her down some, then gradually increase.The manual gives a range but Im trying to pinpoint it a bit closer than "medium to docile pitch" I want to slow her down not bog her down. a good balance for a newb like me, ya know? Im still waiting for her sigh....But if you can't tell... Im excited to get the NR3D back and trying to get my mind right about setting her up. I guess I need real help in translating pitch curve into stick movements. How is it "supposed" to work? Thanks guys, again
Old 01-18-2006, 06:33 AM   #38
Ah Clem

The manual is not quite correct with regard to the function of the two knobs. Both govern different aspects of pitch, neither is a throttle adjustment, although PZT will actually change the head RPM, due to its affect on Pitch to Throttle mixing.

PLT is Pitch Limit Trim-this governs the entire range of pitch available.

PZT is Pitch Zero Trim-this is effectivel the mixing of pitch for a given throttle setting.

I have the PLT set so that the throttle does not bog when I punch it, and the PZT set so that just to where the the nose of the helicopter does not wag back and forth due to overspeeding (about 0 degrees of pitch at low throttle).

Neither knob will have any effect unless DIP switch on the back of the transmitter is in the "Unlocked position".

I would try things at the factory setting first, before making any adjustments.

A Venom Representative has been posting on this thread. He has been incredibly helpful.

Hopefully he will join us over here as well:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455241
Old 01-18-2006, 03:22 PM   #39
JuliNr3d

Hi there, this is my first post here, Ah Clem, I keep turning up like a bad penny! lol I got a NR3D for Christmas and am sort of waiting patiently for my 'crash' kit to arrive to repair my first crash. At least I haven't growled at the mail carrier when he brings the mail and the parts aren't in it. I've been following every thread I can find on the 3D and jeez, I'm so tickled that this is the heli I got for the first one! I know well that it's not a "beginner" heli, but I was actually able to get a tiny hover(inside) going before my first dings. What a rush that was! I'm also enjoying reading about everyone else's experiences and repairs. The comment on new tools was right on, but the great thing is that I won't get in trouble cause my hubby was the one who got me started! I think he will discover soon that he created a monster, lol. I plan on making a better training set than I had on before, so once I get her back together I will have more time to fly, read tiny hovers, and learn a little more about orientation before crashing. Anyway, thanks for the great thread. Take care, Juli
Old 01-18-2006, 06:16 PM   #40
Ah Clem

Juli,

Good to see you over here!

I am pretty much all over the place, as far as forums go. I thought I would try to get as many people to find as many of the threads as possible in order to share knowledge.

I went out and did about 70 rolls this mornning, oddly enough on the Honeybee (none of them satisfactory-either the tail kicks, the rolls are not flat, the entry is faster than the exit, etc.). The Honeybee has already been dorked, while the VNR3D is still nice and new. I want to practice on the old one so that I am more comfortable on the new one. I am not sure how much this will help, as the VNR3D is sooooo much quicker.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:56 AM   #41
zap3267@charter.net

Clem, thanks for the tip about the other Venom forum it was nice to read the threads there too.

Juli, welcome! I called my wife down to watch me hover. She, nonchalantly, said wow after watching for like 15 seconds then goes back upstairs. How did your hubby get you hooked? I think you made a good choice in helis! Take it slow and then instruct me on that beast Im anxiously awaiting your parts as well so I can hear how she flys!
Old 01-19-2006, 02:04 AM   #42
bluesjunky57
justa slave to the rhythm

Talking

Hey fellas. Just wanted to make my first ever post in this thread. I've been reading all ya'lls posts, and they have been a world of help. I'm new to helis and just recently bought a NR3D. Wow is this thing hot! After the first two crashes, I decided to take Venom reps. advice and move the linkages in on the servo arm. What a difference. I acually hovered an entire battery cycle. I'm so stoked about helis now. That's all I can think about. Keep this thread alive and happy hovering all,
Trey
Old 01-19-2006, 03:11 AM   #43
iishort86

hello all. i came over from rcgroups.com with a little help from al clem.

heres a quick update on me, i should be getting my nr3d this weekend! yea for that! ive been flying a dragonfly #4 heli for past eh 2 months or so. i think ive pretty much mastered that heli or id like to think i have so thats why i ordered nr3d, a cp heli.

so blue, you made it shorter or longer to have more stable hover?
Old 01-19-2006, 03:41 AM   #44
zap3267@charter.net

Welcome bluesjunky57 & iishort86 ! Jay and Clem are 2 great guys who have helped me tremendously. Their advice has always been genuine and solid and much appreciated by me. I'm not through with them yet so treat em good LOL
Old 01-19-2006, 03:43 AM   #45
zap3267@charter.net

Short,

I believe your heli is very similar if not almost identical to the Night Ranger II that Ive learned to hover on. I still await my NR3D's return...
Old 01-19-2006, 07:47 AM   #46
iishort86

yea zap nr2 and df4 are your basic fp heli. it's funny how i see people wanting to buy expensive cyclo or whatever it's called when they can get a df4 for so much cheaper which will do the same thing. maybe with df4 you might get some bad parts here and there, but i had nothing but great times with mines.

i mastered all diff kinds of hovering, forward, back, left, right flight, circles with my df4 which was challenging at first, but once it clicked in everything came naturally. im hoping everything will come naturally once i get my nr3d as it did with df4.

woot cant wait! i finished ordering almost everything i need for my new heli. i got the venom lipo battery and a all sport lipo/nimh charger from hobbypeople and heat sinks off ebay... man i cant wait!

i wonder how much "quicker" and "faster" it is compared to my df4? im sure ill adapt fine, hopefully..
Old 01-20-2006, 12:59 AM   #47
zappedalaskan

Smile

Wattflyer welcomes all of you that are new to the Venom NR3D thread. It is a pleasure to have you all here.. Juli, after you get good flying your heli, you can chase the ufo's with it I couldn't resist, But seriously You all are a great bunch. I feel like getting a NR3D just to talk more in this thread. It could happen..
Happy hovering folks
Jay

Old 01-20-2006, 04:28 AM   #48
JuliNr3d

Thanks, Zapped Shoot, I'll be tickled just to hover good, let alone chase something! lol Hmmm, it does bring evil things to mind though when I do get good with it. Ooh, better not go there! heh, heh,might get my toy taken away.
By the way, Chris from Venom said they got their parts in today and are sending out the back orders as fast as they can, so all of us with injured birds should be able to be flying again soon. Or crashing, as the case may be. lol
Take care, Juli
Old 01-20-2006, 06:23 AM   #49
Ah Clem

iishort86,

"i wonder how much "quicker" and "faster" it is compared to my df4? im sure ill adapt fine, hopefully.."

Like you can't even imagine!
Old 01-20-2006, 11:32 AM   #50
zappedalaskan

Smile Strange lights..

Ok Juli..
What you do is go to this web site: http://www.curtek.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=2
And put some night flying lights on your helicopter, then go hover around the neighbors yard

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trexnight.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	6238

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters