Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Micro Sized Electric Helicopters Discuss micro and mini sized electric rc helis in here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-20-2006, 02:45 PM   #51
bluesjunky57
justa slave to the rhythm

Friends: (0)

so blue, you made it shorter or longer to have more stable hover?[/quote]

Sorry it took so long to reply, but I made them shorter by moving them towards the middle of the servo. You have to readjust the ball-links after doing this, I think I moved them two whole turns out. This made it so much easier to control. I have 6 more battery cycles on it now, and on my way to true rotor-headery!

The manual says this bird is Li-poly ready, I have a two cell 2000mah lipo and a three cell 1050mah lipo. I'm looking into upgrading to a three cell 2000-3000mah batts. will I have any problems with this? Is it too much for the stock brushed motor. I think I'll need the heat sinks, since the moter already gets semi-hot from the current cells. Any feedback would be greatly appriciated,
Trey
Old 01-20-2006, 02:59 PM   #52
JuliNr3d

Okay, Zapped, I'm probably going to have to replace my keyboard and I'll be smelling the coffee that flew out of my nose all day! I can just picture the neighbors in our sedate little neighborhood running around like Chicken Little. Jeez, I can't wait, evil laugh!
Old 01-20-2006, 03:07 PM   #53
iishort86

oH nOoOoo!! tHoSe dAm UFOs dO eXIsT!!
Old 01-20-2006, 07:39 PM   #54
Ah Clem

Treu,

2000-to 3000 mah is too much-not from an electrical standpoint, but from a weight standpoint.

You need a 3-cell (11.1) volt Lipo, with between 800-1200 mah. The mah is the current rating in milliamps-it is capacity, not voltage. A 1600 mah battery would fly your helicopter for twice as long as an 800 mah battery.

You will definitey want to run heat sinks on both motors. The plug on the Venom 4-in-1 is different from most also (I cut the plug off of the stock Nimh and made an adapter with it).
Old 01-21-2006, 06:52 AM   #55
zap3267@charter.net

Well it seemed pretty calm outside this AM. I took the NR2 outside for her maiden voyage into the wild blue yonder and she found herself quickly back to the winter brown grass with a broken rotation holder. Yeah not so calm up there! LOL Well, I lost my patience waiting for the repairs and return of the VNR3D (mind you it is me at this point not Venoms fault). I went down to my LHS and looked to see if he had some parts in for the NR2 and low and behold he had a new 3D on the shelf. She looked lonely up there on that shelf so I brought her home I think Im going to give the other 3D (when it comes)to my buddy who crashed his last week and just keep his bird for parts for the 2 of us. I hovered 3 stocks through her in my basement and WOW! Yeah this heli is nice and the blades everything checked straight from the box. Sweet! I am fighting swash pretty hard but that makes it more interesting! Last pack lasted long enough to get control tail in for a nice 7-8 min , no touch, flight.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:49 AM   #56
Ah Clem

Zap,

That is OUTSTANDING!!!

Congratulations.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:22 AM   #57
iishort86

wow nice, but dam you either have A LOT of money or you don't give a rats a*s about it... gezz i dont think i would ever buy 2 nr3ds... not like i dont have the money, it's just such a waste..

but none the less dam good job on your hover.

me still waiting for mines
Old 01-21-2006, 10:03 AM   #58
zappedalaskan

View zappedalaskan's Gallery4

Zap,
It is great to watch your progress into becoming a helicopter pilot. If you look back two pages at your first few post from just a couple of months ago, you can really see what a long way you have come, congratulations You are well on your way! I think it is a great idea to have a parts heli as it will decrease your down time, and I have to comend you for thinking about your friend and his heli in need of repair. It is very rare and honerable of you to think of your friend and buy a new machine so you both have parts. If more people had friends like you, the world would be a better place. Take care.
Regards,
Jay

There are two dogs inside of me. One is good, one is evil.
These two dogs are always fighting a constant battle.
Which dog wins? The one I feed the most...
Old 01-22-2006, 03:55 AM   #59
zap3267@charter.net

OK This had to be the best Heli day of my life so far. I had 15 bat packs today! All in my basement on the NR3d no training gear ever been strapped on this bird. After the very first fligth out of the box i noticed that the tail motor got really pretty hot. I put the heat sink on it for the remaining 14 and checked frequently and I never really felt it get more than very warm. around battery pack 13 I felt a glitch in the tail a couple times but thought maybe it was just me. well a few more in 14 and I was wondering what was happening. Then midway through bat 15 in about a 2 foot hover the tail quit cold. I brought her down no damage luckily. Checked it out with the volt meter and sure enough its the motor burnt. OK remember the pinion thing we talked about? I dont how am I gonna get that motor out and replaced with the spare I have from the parts heli? Im also starting to wonder if Im unusally hard on the motors some how? Anywhere I can get an idea on removing the pinion isn't their an easier way? Should I try and drimmel the hole a little wider? Not much room. HELP! LOL 15 packs and IM still thinking man I could fit in 3 more! My buddy flew his rotofly in between my packs and was making his pendulum a little smaller today bet he will get it with another weekend in the basement Anyway it was an all dayer and I may be in trouble with the wife Ooops...
Old 01-22-2006, 04:12 AM   #60
zap3267@charter.net

Oh yes thanks for the words of encouragement everyone. Short it is an addiction I swear! LOL I knew I wouldn't get to fly this weekend was a big motivator in buying it as well. Jay ,I'd like to take full credit for being nice but it made me happy too. I already need the motor and should have her back up with no wait for parts. that is nice as well If I try and replace them as we use them then more often I'll be flying. Im not a real patient guy but I am trying LOL
Old 01-22-2006, 05:35 AM   #61
zappedalaskan

Zap,
Are you giving everything enough time between flights to cool off? 14 flights in a row is a workout in one day for any electric helicopter. Between flights give the heli a rest and let it cool off completely. I am glad the new one you bought is working out much better than the first one. All the practice you got in on the NR2 really paid off for you. In my opinion if you can master hovering with a fixed pitch micro, you are pretty much ready for anything. Now just work on orientation. Fly it with the nose and side (both) facing you, just as your hovering. That way if you start to get uncomfortable with the direction it is pointed, you can just rudder it around back to the tail facing you without the heli being going off in an unfavorable direction. Once you have a feel for that then start hovering around in figure eights. And pick a point in your flying area and lift off, fly to it, land and fly back to your original point and land. Doing these two things will greatly improve your orientation skills and you will soon be ready to just lift off and fly it anywhere at different positions easily. Ok now I just did some searching, and here is what you need.. http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=82392
This is a must have in any modelers tool box.. Please don't use your dremel on it, they go way to fast and remove to much to fast. I know you have extensive experience with small rotary tools, but the soft alloy just dissapears to fast and then you've over done it and have to wait for more parts.. I hope this helps and happy hovering!
Jay

Old 01-22-2006, 04:56 PM   #62
zap3267@charter.net

Jay, I am definitely gonna get one of those jewels! i thought I was being patient and I suppose I figured I was safe with the heat sinks.. Well, perhaps I was a bit over zealous in my flights yesterday but it was still worth it LOL. No crashes, I'll sacrifice a tail motor for those kinds of flight times I just need to change the motor so I can get my weekly dose this week. Both helis are down and Im having withdrawals. Im going to have to watch football today I suppose
Old 01-23-2006, 02:20 AM   #63
Ah Clem

Zap,

Outstanding-15 flights in one day.

On the tail motor, are you keeping it lubed?
Old 01-23-2006, 03:39 AM   #64
zap3267@charter.net

Never lubed anything on the heli I just flew it. I guess some basic preventative maintenance advice would be greatly appreciated Clem. I hope it isn't too far off topic if you give me specifics for the NR3D but then Im not the best at keeping on topic anyway. LOL
Old 01-23-2006, 03:25 PM   #65
Ah Clem

I usually get three flights at one session (I have three batteries...). After each session, I check to make sure that all set screws are tight, all the linkages are in good shape (not worn out), and put a drop of light oil on each bearing, including the main and tail rotor bearings (only one bearing on the tail motor is accessable).

I re-charge all three batteries and am then ready to go again for the next session.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:23 PM   #66
VENOMOUS

Hey guys just checking in.
My name is Chris Nicastro and I'm the Direstor of R&D for Venom Group International. I have been active on other threads in an effort to support your needs outside of our normal buisness hours and customer service channels.
If you have any questions for me please dont hesitate to ask and I will get to them as quickly as I can.
Thanks for your interest in Venom products,

Chris
Old 01-23-2006, 09:00 PM   #67
zappedalaskan

Thumbs up Hi Chris!

Welcome to Wattflyer! We are happy to have you here, and as the popularity of the VNR3D grows, we sure need you here I think you folks have developed a great helicopter and it seems to be panning out nicely. Our Venom family is growing here daily, and we thank you kindly for looking in on us once in a while We wish venom the best of luck. I know I love my VSM and Temp. meters in my stadium MT's! Take care and welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!
Regards,
Jay

Old 01-23-2006, 09:19 PM   #68
VENOMOUS

Cool thanks, this thread looks pretty active too, I see some familiar names here.
Would it be a problem to cut and paste the updates and tips from another thread here? Their pretty extensive and I would hate to have to rewrite it all.

Chris
Old 01-23-2006, 11:53 PM   #69
zap3267@charter.net

Chris,

Welcome home! I agree with Jay, this is the friendly forum! I would like any relevant posts cut and pasted here as this is really more my "home". Also, any idea on how long I should expect to wait for my 3D that I mailed in? A rough estimate would be nice I think I sent it in a few weeks ago. I bought a new one but promised that one to my friend and he is anxious.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:15 AM   #70
VENOMOUS

Hi Zap,
PM me with your info and I'll check the shop for your model.

Ok, I'll be back with some info....

Chris
Old 01-24-2006, 12:25 AM   #71
Blade Breaker

Hi All,
I got my NR3D about a week ago I am enjoying it I’ve been on another forum and just saw this one and recognized some of the name so I would like to join in here. You all do seem like a friendly bunch and that is what it is all about, share thoughts and enjoy our hobby.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:18 AM   #72
zap3267@charter.net

Welcome Blade We are glad to have ya. We are here to have fun and help each other, any word on the performance of yours. I am very happy so far!
Old 01-24-2006, 02:32 AM   #73
bluesjunky57

Come on everyone together, one anda two anda, "where everybody knows your name, ... and there always glad you came..."

hehe this realy is a friendly thread, and clem and the guys 'n gals have been great.

and welcome venomous, great to see you over here,
Trey
Old 01-24-2006, 02:32 AM   #74
bluesjunky57

oh yeah, Blade too
Old 01-24-2006, 02:40 AM   #75
Blade Breaker

Thanks for the welcome zap3267 and eveyone else,
I'm very pleased with mine took a little getting use to this thing it is very quick and you have to really be on it. I switched to 800 mah Li-Op's and add the heat sinks.The performance and power even stock is excellent. I'm trying to resist the urge to run out and buy the brushless setup and the CF Blades, it has more then enough power for me now, But it's getting harder everyday to look at that setup and not buy it. If (when) I get it I will let you know how it is.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters