Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Micro Sized Electric Helicopters Discuss micro and mini sized electric rc helis in here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-24-2006, 03:10 AM   #76
zappedalaskan

View zappedalaskan's Gallery4
Friends: (0)
Cool Venom Flyers

Originally Posted by VENOMOUS View Post
Cool thanks, this thread looks pretty active too, I see some familiar names here.
Would it be a problem to cut and paste the updates and tips from another thread here? Their pretty extensive and I would hate to have to rewrite it all.

Chris
Hi Chris,
You are more than welcome to copy and paste any information you would like. We are more concerned with our members getting as much info as possible without having to search several sites to find what they are looking for. Our mission here is to provide the most information as we can, even if it by way of a link to another thread, or materials pasted from another thread.
Blade breaker-
Welcome to Wattflyer! We are glad to have you here, and look forward to reading about your helicopter flying experiences.
All Venom flyers are very welcome here, and can post what they think about being worried about anything. Like I stated above, we are here to share knowledge, from any source. It's all good stuff
On another note, Where has Juli been? I hope she didn't get abducted
I really like to see women getting into rc more and more. It can be great family fun. My wife don't fly helicopters, but she can be hard to beat racing monster trucks around the track. Take care everyone and have a great evening. Happy hovering,
Jay

There are two dogs inside of me. One is good, one is evil.
These two dogs are always fighting a constant battle.
Which dog wins? The one I feed the most...
Old 01-24-2006, 02:54 PM   #77
Ah Clem

"On another note, Where has Juli been? I hope she didn't get abducted "

Being that it is tax season, I suspect it is more likely that she was deducted...
Old 01-25-2006, 12:44 AM   #78
VENOMOUS

Here are a few updates from another thread on RCgroups

We are providing an update to this issue.

Initial blade pitch set up

The blades should be at 0deg. pitch in Normal Mode when the throttle stick is at 0-50% range. Then from 50% and up the pitch has to move into the positive range.
1. unplug the motor wires to the main motor and tail ( mark these plugs so you dont mix them up )
2. turn on the radio and plug in a battery to the heli while sitting flat on a table or level surface.
3 in Normal Mode, move the TH stick to the 50% position, maybe move it through the hole range first then back to 50% and stop.
4. observe the blade pitch.
5. adjust the long link from the swashplate so that the blades are set to 0-.5deg. positive pitch. Make them even. KEEP THE FLYBAR LEVEL TO THE GROUND AND SQUARE TO THE MAIN SHAFT AT ALL TIMES WHEN CHECKING AND ADJUSTING.
6.turn the heli off (unplug the batt.) and reconnect the motor plugs
7.WHEN TURNING THE MODEL ON MAKE SURE THE MODEL IS SITTING ON LEVEL GROUND SO THE GYRO INITIATES PROPERLY.
8. plug in a fully charged battery (radio turned on first) and test hover the model. Reset the tracking if need be but if the above adjustment was done correctly the tracking should be spot on.

TIP: 1. use a micro heli pitch guage, drafting square with reference lines to 0deg. or some form of indicator to set the blades. Otherwise trial and error works too.
2.Ajust the head block to the top of the machined flat on the main shaft and tighten the set screw there. Do not tighten the set screw above the flat on the round shaft. So to be clear the set screw presses against the flat on the shaft but it can slide up or down within the flat on the shaft. Make sure its at the top of the flat and tighten it. Use Loctite!!!!

To check the pitch in 3D mode follow the same steps as above except switch the radio to FLIGHT MODE 1 on the toggle switch. Follow the steps and adjust for 0deg. pitch at 50% TH stick and try to get the pos/neg pitch to be equal. It should work out to be about 10deg +/- pitch. Use the pitch range nob on the top left as well.

TO SLOW THE RESPONSE OF THE MODEL

Take a look at the servo horns.

There are two more holes in from the stock postion the swashplate link can be moved to.

1. remove the pin from the clevis, its brass
2. slide the clevis over one hole towards the center of the servo and insert the pin
3. repeat this for all the servos
4. check your pitch again and tracking if you changed the pitch. You may have to lengthen the links half a turn or so (all 3 equally)
5. test hover and see if you like it.

TIP:
1. if your a novice heli pilot please use training gear to give you a larger base to land on. This will keep you from tipping over easily.
2. hover the model at least 6in. off the ground for better control. The air is slightly less turbulent and makes it easier. You will have to build up the nerve to do it but its better the higher you go.
3. train yourself to shut the power off before the model hits something. The sooner you do this the less the damage will be compared to crashing under power.
4. look for damaged, cracked parts and loose screws and bolts all of the time before and after each flight. You can and will lose (read crash) the model if you dont keep up the maintenance an intricate machine like these helicopters require. JUST BECAUSE ITS AN ARF DOSNT MEAN IT WILL FLY FOREVER UNCHECKED! Even the first flight out of the box! PREFLIGHT CHECK! PREFLIGHT CHECK! PREFLIGHT CHECK!

LOCK AND UNLOCKED DIP SWITCH #8

The locking feature is very simple;

1. To have full control over the pitch range of the VNR3D the #8 DIP stitch on the back of the radio must be in the unlocked position.
2. While "UNLOCKED" the pitch range and mixing nobs are active and will change the pitch characteristics while in use.
3. To save the settings you want just slide the #8 DIP switch back to "LOCK" position.

TIP:
If you are not comfortable with the VNR3D yet, land before you adjust the pitch range to avoid any accidents. You do not have to be flying to make any adjustments to the pitch settings.

WARNING! DO NOT SWITCH ANY OF THE OTHER DIP SWITCHES!! doing so will change the ccpm mixing, servo reversing, etc.

Sorry about the confusion on this, we are updating the instructions and our customer service department can also help anyone out if there are still any questions.

CARBON FIBER BLADES
The CF blades are slightly stiffer and so it will react faster, just what you wanted to hear right!? LOL
You will notice it more in 3D flight than in normal flying until you whip it around. The sound is different, smoother sound I think and a louder pop than the foam blades.
They take more abuse than the foam blades, you can touch the tip to the ground and not blow it off, ask me how I know this.

You will be very happy with these blades.

Chris
Old 01-25-2006, 04:17 AM   #79
zappedalaskan

Chris,
Thank you for posting all of this valuble information on the VNR3D. I am sure everyone will find it very useful. I agree about the carbon fiber blades. I like to get into fast forward flight and right when the heli gets in front of me, bank away from me and turn hard. this sounds silly, but I like to do it just to hear the CF rotors making the pop sounds you mentioned under load. With the head speed over 2000 rpm it sounds way cool
Take care and have a good one,
Jay

Old 01-25-2006, 05:07 PM   #80
Ashbone

Default Hello!

Hello all, I am Zap3267@charter.net;s friend Ash and wanted to post a message in the forum to keep up on all the latest info regarding the VNR3D. I also have VNR2 and a HeliMax RotolFly. I fly nonoe of them well. Ha! I am learing to hover keepiong the tail in towards me. I am finding that with each battery pack comes glimpses of flight.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:30 PM   #81
zappedalaskan

Smile Welcome Ashbone

Hi Ash Welcome to Wattflyer! We are happy to have you here. Zap has spoke of you many times. Glad you made it to visit us. It is always great to learn together with someone else.. It helps a lot to have moral support while learning, You know.."Oh man that really sucked, but we can fix it!"
Rather than just sitting there, alone crying by yourself.."Oh man, my helicopterrr " Kidding aside it is great to have another person here joining the Venom group. There are a great bunch of people here. And we are happy to have you all here at Wattflyer Best of luck with your Venom helicopters. Please visit often..
Happy hovering,
Jay

Old 01-25-2006, 05:54 PM   #82
Ashbone

Thanks for the warm welcome Jay even though I know firsthand that is it probably pretty blanking cold in SquareBanks. Ha! I did 3 years at Ft. Rich but help to deply the FireFinder Radar to Ft. Wainwright before they got their own technician. I really miss Alaska.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:11 PM   #83
zappedalaskan

I read your post Ash, I went and looked.. It is 36 degrees(F) below zero right now.. It is a bit brisk out this morning I live five minutes from the back gate (Trainer gate rd.) to Fort Wainwright. Right by the helicopter flight line. I get to watch the gunships and blackhawks hover right over my house every day. At these temps. the blades make the dishes rattle. It sounds like they are going to land on the roof! I love it though Have a great day!
Jay

Old 01-26-2006, 01:05 AM   #84
bluesjunky57
justa slave to the rhythm

Ok so here we go,
finaly installed heat-sinks, bought blue lock-tite and smeared on all metal to metal set-screws/parts, tried to rig a new battery set-up (convert from o-rings to velcro), and just general maintenence. It was time. Fresh charge on the cells, and away we went. As it started running-up, I noticed the head-speed seemed a little high. Then all of a sudden, takes-off six feet into the air, I freak-out yank the throttle back and boom, on the ground with a boom-strike. oh well, not too bad though. Need one/half a blade-holder (just lock-tited), blades, glue the tail back on, and maybe bend the boom back straight (I think it's time.) Then, time to do it all over again

Would like to post pictures, but don't know how to convert from jpeg
Old 01-26-2006, 01:36 AM   #85
VENOMOUS

@Blues

Please preflight it again and check your blades are 0'ed out as prescribed above. Also unlock your radio and set the pitch nobs to 12o'clock position for starters. I find they dont deviate much from there for the first flight, maybe personal pref by one hour either way but start there.

Its very responsive so take your time.

Chris
Old 01-26-2006, 02:24 AM   #86
bluesjunky57

Got to wait till blade holders come in, any idea when ya'll might have em?
Also i've had the pitch at 12:00 and have to adjust the other one (on the right) to accomodate switching between 2 and 3 cell packs. I had it set in the same place as usual for the intended batt. but it(the engine) seemed like it spooled up a lot higher. Been looking for a decent pitch gauge, but been eye-balling it in the meantime.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:50 AM   #87
bluesjunky57

just been to the website, Jan. 27th for: blades and holders, also listed flybars and paddles, and seesaws.

Venomous, will they ship that day or are you supposed to recieve that day(Jan. 27)? Got to get flying again.
another question, if I upgrade to CF blades will it be less likely to strike boom with a hard set-down? And when are the Alloy blade grips coming? Although the plastic one do save everything else during a crash.
Trey

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S2400001 (Medium).JPG
Views:	310
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	6498

Name:	S2400003 (Medium).JPG
Views:	293
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	6499

Name:	S2400002 (Medium) (Small).JPG
Views:	277
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	6500

Name:	S2400006 (Medium).JPG
Views:	329
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	6501
Old 01-26-2006, 04:09 PM   #88
zap3267@charter.net

Just back from a quick trip to Chicago. Ash, Glad to see you made it! I'm going to my LHS and see if we can get the pinion pulled and get this bird back in the air!

Chris,
I am presuming that if a heli was sent in for a repair are you guys loctiting the appropriate screws? I know, I know everyone will say check it anyway but for people not reading this it would surely save you from some return work. I wanted to publicly thank you guys for some great customer service.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:49 AM   #89
zap3267@charter.net

I used an exacto knife on the tail housing and had to slightly scrape away a tiny bit of the plastic from top and bottom and slid the pinion out. I flew 3 packs through her tonight in the basement. Yeah baby! The tail gear seems not to match up exactly to the pinion either way I put the gear on? Anyone else have this It made me wonder if thats part of why it was getting hot and burned out...It has been that way since I bought it. The other question I have is the tension on the main rotors mine are definitely much looser than on the VNR2. Should they be stiff to move on the VNR3D or move freely? Mine seems to stay straight out pretty good with the rotor speed.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:34 AM   #90
Blade Breaker

bluesjunky57,
Sorry to hear what happened to you. I was looking at the pics and it looks like one of your servos is different then the others (a blue one) is it?
If it is can you do that? I don't know I've never tried it but if the gearing or rate is different then the other 2 could it be giving you a problem? Maybe someone in here has tried that and knows the answer.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:45 AM   #91
zap3267@charter.net

Different servos have different speeds which can be a big problem especially with the Bell/Hiller set up. If I remember correctly that is why the 3D is so quick because all 3 servos work the swashplate directly at the same time. IMO they all should be the same.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:37 AM   #92
bluesjunky57

Blade:
Good point. I busted a servo on the second crash (so many). Right after I did, venomous placed suitable servo replacements on another forum. He stated that the HS55 works great, and it did. I put several flights on the bird untill I adjusted/lock-tited the main(the green thing). I think it was set-up to run with the set-screw lower on the shaft. It was my fault, I didn't check pitch, only the tracking. The best lessons are learned the hard way Still looking for a pitch guage. Does anyone know if a 30-50 size guage will work?
Trey
Old 01-27-2006, 03:03 PM   #93
Blade Breaker

Zap3267,
I agree with that, the HS55 may well be a good replacement but I think all 3 should be the same. And yes with the Bell/Hiller set up all 3 servos work the swashplate directly at the same time.

Bluesjunny57,
Maybe Venomous can confirm an answer for us, in the mean time if you have a set (3) HS55's I would use all the same servo's in this setup.
I have a pitch gauge for these mini's, only problem is I'm old and can't remember were I got it. I will check into it and get back to you.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:15 PM   #94
zappedalaskan

Hi,
You do need to have all three collective servos the same. Hitec 55's are good. Here is a link to a real good micro pitch gauge. It does the blades and the flybar paddles. http://www.dreamhobbies.com/cart/pro...cat=365&page=2
That is a very reputable hobby shop to deal with. The owner is a great guy. Hope this helps
Regards,
Jay

Old 01-27-2006, 03:28 PM   #95
bluesjunky57

thanks fellas, got to wait for some dough before I convert all the servos(justa broke college kid), but I do see the guage in the near future.

there's always money for toys, let the bills slide
Trey
Old 01-27-2006, 03:33 PM   #96
bluesjunky57

Originally Posted by bluesjunky57 View Post
another question, if I upgrade to CF blades will it be less likely to strike boom with a hard set-down?
Trey
Zap, what's your take on this?
Old 01-27-2006, 03:47 PM   #97
Blade Breaker

Bluesjunky57,
I found the site for the pitch gauge I have, But the the one that Zappedalaskan posted looks good, is Much cheaper and he says the shop is reputable so I would go with that one

Here is the addy if you want to take a look
http://www.deeteeenterprises.com/NS....ge.Instruc.php
Old 01-27-2006, 04:06 PM   #98
bluesjunky57

cool, thanks fellas. Most likely going with Zapped's gauge. Got to haul a$$ to class now,
Trey
Old 01-27-2006, 07:10 PM   #99
zappedalaskan

Originally Posted by bluesjunky57 View Post
Zap, what's your take on this?
Yes, The c/f blades are a lot stiffer, but it could be play in the bladegrip, or the tail hitting the tail skid/tail rotor protector and bouncing the tail up into the blade, or a combo of all three. This depends on your angle when you did the damage the first time. Did the tail hit first? If so, it probably bounced up into the blade. The carbon blade in that case would have done a lot more damage. C/F blades are very stiff and whack the heck out of things when they strike something, and they carry a lot more inertia.
I hope this helps.. Chris might have a better answer than me on that particular helicopter.
Happy hovering,
Jay

Old 01-28-2006, 03:12 AM   #100
zap3267@charter.net

Did I mention that I Love this heli? 3 More packs tonight and 3 to go! I am being careful but still pushing the envelope a bit and haven't had a problem yet. I don't think we have had a calm day yet so nothing outside. I am waiting for the side in to "click". I can take off perfectly straight up, hover the heli to anywhere I want with some variation of tail. But let me get the tail at full 45 and I tense up. Must be mental or something somebody smack me!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters