Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Micro Sized Electric Helicopters Discuss micro and mini sized electric rc helis in here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-28-2006, 03:22 AM   #101
bluesjunky57
justa slave to the rhythm

Friends: (0)

dude I have/ had the same problem. I can get it off the ground, hover around in a relatively small area, send it off flying and brinng it back to hover, but when I get side in, I go dumb-thumbed. Same on a sim, nose in fine, but waiting for the "click"
Trey
Old 01-28-2006, 03:44 AM   #102
zap3267@charter.net

I haven't tried nose in as I was trying to work my way around and have been stuck here for too long. How much longer LOL

Is everyone elses blades fairly loose (will move on their own when I tilt the heli)? or should I tighten them up like my Raptor which won't move on their own but with barely any assistance they will or tighter yet like I do on the Nr2 which I have to pull them into position?
Old 01-28-2006, 05:23 AM   #103
zap3267@charter.net

I just realized something in my last pack that helped me. I realized that I have gotten so much better at instincts that I needed to take my hands off ,while in a hover, briefly and recover. The heli needed trimmed and I was compensating without realizing it! After I got her trimmed better it seems that I can hover much longer side in!
Old 01-28-2006, 06:27 AM   #104
bluesjunky57

hah, did the same thing
Old 01-28-2006, 06:32 AM   #105
bluesjunky57

the screw on my blades will back out until they are lose as described above but they seem to stop there. I still check them every pack and still, nothing
Old 01-28-2006, 05:23 PM   #106
bluesjunky57

How much slop/ play do ya'lls birds have on the main shaft? I got to looking at mine, and it looks like it's a little too much, maybe an 1/8 of an inch or more (haven't measured). I don't see any sign of this being a problem, no unusual wear on the gear, but I don't think that much slop is healthy.
Thanks in advance,
Trey
Old 01-28-2006, 06:31 PM   #107
zappedalaskan

View zappedalaskan's Gallery4

Hi Guys,
Zap,
Your blades are just a bit loose, they should move easily but not quite where they will fall over when you set the heli on it's side.
Trey,
Is the whole main shaft moving in the main shaft bearings? Your main shaft should be solid. You need to look while wiggling it around and see if the bearings are moving as well our if the shaft is moving in the bearings. You might try tightening the screws that attach the bearing blocks to the main frame and see if that fixes it. That play probably had a lot to do with your blade strike you had. If the shaft is wiggling in the bearings you need to replace the shaft or the bearings. I hope this helps
Happy hovering,
Jay

There are two dogs inside of me. One is good, one is evil.
These two dogs are always fighting a constant battle.
Which dog wins? The one I feed the most...
Old 01-28-2006, 07:02 PM   #108
bluesjunky57

No, it's moving up and down, due to space in between the set collerz. When it moves, it adjusts the collective. Does yours do this?
Old 01-28-2006, 07:34 PM   #109
zappedalaskan

Hi Trey,
You need to loosen the top collar and push the shaft up tight, then move the collar down while holding it tightly in place and then tighten the collar.
The shaft should not move up and down. As you said it will mess with your collective and wear things out faster.
Jay

Old 01-28-2006, 07:38 PM   #110
bluesjunky57

thats what I thought, but was unsure about. I had to wait 'til the pros gave the OK.
Thanks again,
Trey
Old 01-29-2006, 12:02 AM   #111
bluesjunky57

Alright, after pidd'ling off and on all day, I managed to
"home-grown engineer" the thing back together. I've set the pitch, trakcing, rerouted the antenna, set-up velcro, straightened the boom, mount the tail, and fixed anything else I busted during destrucion. I'm working up the nerve to hover, as the wind starts to pick-up, so I call it a day and will regroup tomorrow.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:21 AM   #112
zap3267@charter.net

after about 40 packs I finally had a sliding landing (practicing moving toward nose in) and the blades struck the wall breaking the blade holder ball off. I should have parts by mid week but that stinks cause both helis are down for the weekend. My friend ash bought a NR2 and he is hovering pretty well now so I got my fix watching him.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:26 AM   #113
bluesjunky57

oh man that stinks. sounds like your doing great, ican't wait till i nose in for real and not on the sim
Old 01-29-2006, 07:31 AM   #114
zap3267@charter.net

I didn't nose in for long lol. Anyway I want to use the Venomous ball link replacement trick orrrrr..... I could wait for the parts they should be here Wed I think. We shall see if I can wait that long I went over everything and loc tited where needed. Now Im gonna be a little weird when I first fly it. I have never had it apart so we will see...
Old 01-29-2006, 06:00 PM   #115
bluesjunky57

I'm not suggesting anyone try this, but I just ca'd the ball back on, and had several flights on it till the boom strike. It was a quik-fix to get me off the ground while I'm waiting for parts. I hesitate to tell anyone to do this because it is not (IMO) the way you want to solve the problem. If you do decide to do this, make sure the ball is put back into the groove it broke out of and fits snuggly. You may want to mark the location so that when the ca (just a drop) is applied, it goes in the right way the first time (ask me how I know this). It also depends on where the break is and how clean it is. Also, check to see how rigid the joint is after the ca has set before you put it back on the heli. The best bet is to follow Venomous' advice.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:56 PM   #116
bluesjunky57

Default Glitches

I just went out to hover around and just before lift-off, all the servos glitched. Then they did it two more times so I set her down. Is anyone else having this, the servos all work and move to their limits without popping or signs of being bad. Could it be due to antenae location? I remember back from the flying plank days that you shouldn't double back on the antenae. Could having the antenae wound tight be the prob? I've checked the entire length and no signs of a tear in the insulation. And the rod it's wound around is fiberglass. Like I say, everything is working properly, besides the glitches. Any suggestions?

Here's the pic

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antenae (Small).JPG
Views:	304
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	6727   Click image for larger version

Name:	S2400003 (Medium).JPG
Views:	296
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	6733  
Old 01-29-2006, 09:17 PM   #117
bluesjunky57

ok, fixed the glitch but now the tail "wags." It doesn't move but 3"-6", but it still annoying. What settings do I need to have the gyro at? I've never played with one of them before, so any help would be great,
Trey
Old 01-29-2006, 09:33 PM   #118
zappedalaskan

Trey,
Is the antenna the same as you had it before, or did you change something about it? It looks to be ok in the picture.. Or is it looped back over itself anywhere? When you had your last mishap did it get pulled on, maybe check your reciever and make sure the contact is good. I would guess it is definately a signal problem. Did you route it any closer to the motor or battery? Does your battery have a good charge on it? I hope it's something easy to find.. I see you like music. I play guitar. I have a fender Stratocaster and a yamaha acoustic. I love my Strat
Zap,
Once you get used to it a little more, you will have fun doing "skid and goes" With some practice, you can be moving pretty fast in any direction and do a sliding landing. As soon as it is going to hit, throttle back up some and it will just slide a little and take off again. It has to be on a hard floor though. Carpet will catch and hurt your heli, same with grass. I fly off of pavement outside, because grass will catch a small heli, tip it over and break your blades and/or bend the flybar up..
Happy hovering guys!
Jay

Old 01-29-2006, 09:45 PM   #119
bluesjunky57

Originally Posted by zappedalaskan View Post
I see you like music. I play guitar. I have a fender Stratocaster and a yamaha acoustic. I love my Strat
awesome, I've got a '57 reissue strat plugged into a vintage Fender Super Twin Reverb tube amp <-- best clean and crunch sound/tone I've ever heard and a Sigma (Martin copy) accoustic.

The glitch was due to placing 4 nickles under the reciever for ballance. I went back and put some SPAD material in-between the two. Fineshed off the pack and had no problems besides the wagging (see above). Have you done anything to your gyro, or had any simular probs?
Old 01-29-2006, 09:50 PM   #120
bluesjunky57

yeah I did reroute it to the place you see in the pic. It was wrapped around the skids (like it came).
Old 01-29-2006, 09:57 PM   #121
zappedalaskan

I agree! I have a 200watt fender head/stack. It sounds sweet when you turn it up a bit. The wife hates it though (She worries about me making the neighbors mad) But you are right, they just have a certain sound to them. I want to get a Les paul somtime soon, so I have a guitar with Hummbucker pick ups for some real good distortion. The single voice coils are better for a clean sound with the Srat. I would like to have both
Two nickels!? that would definately do it.. When I was a kid in jr. high I had a teacher that had a hearing aid and one day another kid showed me a trick.. He would rub two nickels together and it did something to his hearing aid and he would get mad a heck lol that made me think of that.
I am glad it was an easy fix!
Take care,
Jay

Old 01-29-2006, 09:59 PM   #122
zappedalaskan

P.s. You might try a lead fishing weight in the tip of your canopy, or move your battery forward (if possible) to get your CG right. or move that big A$$ training gear forward just a bit...
Jay

Old 01-29-2006, 10:07 PM   #123
bluesjunky57

Originally Posted by zappedalaskan View Post
or move that big A$$ training gear forward just a bit...
Jay
Hah, glad you like it. I may try the fishing weight.

not for this forum, but

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S2400001 (Small).JPG
Views:	268
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	6735  
Old 01-29-2006, 10:14 PM   #124
zappedalaskan

The tail wagging might be due to your repairs on it something could be out of balance a bit. or you might try adjusting the gain for the gyro. Your strat is the same color as mine. You have good taste in guitars!
Jay

Old 01-29-2006, 10:18 PM   #125
bluesjunky57

thnks man, got it used ata shop in Houston. should the gain go up or down?

Oh yeah, why not just put a humbucker on the back pick-up? I guess that wouldn't be as sweet as a new "baby" though. On second thought, get the Les Paul

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters