Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Micro Sized Electric Helicopters Discuss micro and mini sized electric rc helis in here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-07-2006, 07:08 AM   #151
zap3267@charter.net

Friends: (0)

Jay

Thanks for the tip I have one on the way along with some better japanese screw drivers. Have you ever used those?
About the crash its enough to make me teary eyed! You should be able to pass around a collection hat when that happens. LOL
Old 02-07-2006, 06:41 PM   #152
zappedalaskan

View zappedalaskan's Gallery4

Zap,
I have used screwdrivers from all over the world Kidding aside though, It really helps to have high quaility screw and hex drivers when working on helicopters, micros especially. Using cheap tools will only result in stripped screws and fasteners. That is money well spent. As a equipment mechanic I have more money in snap-on tools than I have into all of my models. When I first met my wife she could not believe the money I spent/spend on tools. I have a drawer in my tool box that I keep all of my tool reciepts in every tool I have bought in the last twenty years. It is substantial but it is my job. And cheap tools will only cause you problems!
As far as the heli crash goes, it was my own fault, I thought the engine was going to die and I panicked and tried to roll the helicopter over at way to low of an altitude and it went sub-terra. I was just happy it didn't take out my 1/8 scale race truck as well. I would have cried then, right there in front of all my racing buddies. I have a couple of pictures of the whole thing around here somewhere, I will scan and post them.
Take care,
Jay

There are two dogs inside of me. One is good, one is evil.
These two dogs are always fighting a constant battle.
Which dog wins? The one I feed the most...
Old 02-08-2006, 03:12 AM   #153
bluesjunky57
justa slave to the rhythm

Well I finally did it. I just ordered CF blades, tail boom and struts, and a new tail motor ( just went out). Yeah, I got really lucky and had it on the ground when it went-out. Gettin real close to the brushless setup. By the way, RCBoyz in ebay has the brushless setup for $80, that's free next-day shipping and a sixxer when compared to venoms price
Old 02-11-2006, 02:17 AM   #154
pirellip

Question A few Qs...

Hello All,

Brand new VNR3D today, and a few questions:

First off, when the battery is installed, it touched the bottom of the main rotor gear, part # 7723 (wore off the batter covering even) I know this ain't right, so how do I move this up?

Also one of the flybar paddles, part # 7710 moves on the bar. I suppose I could just line it up and glue it firm.

Also when I was tracking the main blades, I placed a board across the main gear and clamped the board down. As I was spinning up, near 40% throttle I get MAJOR vibration... if it's unclamped it's fine, I can spin up to just about hover, but clamped down it's serious.

Finally, as I'm spinning up, and try to keep the tail straight, at some point giving left rudder the tail acutally stops spinning... is this normal?

Thanks for all your help

pirellip
Old 02-11-2006, 11:01 AM   #155
Little Green Man

Hi, I'm new to helis, but have been flying on a simulator for quite some time. I have recently purchased a VNR3D, built a training set out of dowel and have been trying to hover. But, no matter how i set the gyro the tail will still twich uncontrollably. I crashed this morning as a result. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

My battery also touched the bottom of the main gear, and i think i fixed it by loosening the main mast collar (venf-7727), pushing the main gear up (quite hardly) and then tightening the screw again.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:13 AM   #156
helibob

Default evaluate a cheap sim

Hi to all,
Could someone have a look at this simulator to see if may be ok to start with as it is cheap and may be better than none,THANKS.
Should this be posted in a different way,not too sure on posting and threads and sticky things yet.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:14 AM   #157
helibob

Sorry forgot to put this bit in.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RC-Simulator-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-15-2006, 04:53 AM   #158
iishort86

from the looks of it it's FMS. fms is pretty crappy rc sim.

yea it's good for basic heli movements but other than that you wont learn much on it.

FMS is actually free so what you're paying for is ths rc controller.

if you want you can just buy a usb analog controller for pc and use FMS. same thing just smaller controller.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:33 AM   #159
Ah Clem

Pirellip,

1) "First off, when the battery is installed, it touched the bottom of the main rotor gear, part # 7723 (wore off the batter covering even) I know this ain't right, so how do I move this up?"

Take two stips of self adhesive velcro and attach it to the bottom of the aluminum frame (parallel to the length of the helicopter). Apply the mating side of the velcro to battery. This will keep the battery from shifting and also give it just enough space so that it never comes into contact with the bottom of the main shaft/collare/etc.

2) "Also one of the flybar paddles, part # 7710 moves on the bar. I suppose I could just line it up and glue it firm."

Does it twist on the flybar, or slide lengthwise. I have not had the paddles off yet, but I think that they just twist on. The paddles must be secure from both a control standpoint and a safetly standpoint.

3)"Also when I was tracking the main blades, I placed a board across the main gear and clamped the board down. As I was spinning up, near 40% throttle I get MAJOR vibration... if it's unclamped it's fine, I can spin up to just about hover, but clamped down it's serious. "

Why was the main gear (I assume landing gear?) clamped to a board? This probably created a harmonic which caused the vibration (this happens with training gear sometimes also"

Little Green Man,

Try movint the PZT knob (Pitch Zero Trim) towards "+". Do it a little at a time. I did this on the advice of the Venom Rep, and it cured the nose twitching on mine (I tried turning the gyro down also, with the same results as you-no effect).

iishort,

How goes it?
Old 02-16-2006, 03:07 AM   #160
pirellip

Thanks for all your help Ah Clem.

I'm in the process of making the blade grips and see saw brass ball ended.

I'll let everyone know how it works
Old 02-16-2006, 11:23 AM   #161
Little Green Man

Thanks for the help Ah Clem.

Still have to repair the damage though before I can try it...

I'll let you know if it works
Old 02-18-2006, 03:45 AM   #162
Little Green Man

Also, in the manual, it says that an LED will blink when the gyro is initiating. My 4 in 1 has no LED! just an empty space where the manual says it should be. Is this OK?
Old 02-18-2006, 06:54 AM   #163
zappedalaskan

Sometimes they are sunk back into the casing. Have you tried putting power to it while watching the hole? If it is missing, I would return it to Venom and get a new one..
Take care,
Jay

Old 02-18-2006, 11:53 AM   #164
Little Green Man

Nope, no LED...
should i send everything or just the 4 in 1?
Thanks for the help
Old 02-18-2006, 12:14 PM   #165
zappedalaskan

I would give them a call and tell them whats up and ask if they want the led or the whole Helicopter back. They will probably swap you or give you a new 4 in 1 unit. It is obviously a factory defect, it should not be a problem. I hope you get it fixed soon.Here is their phone number(800) 705-0620
Jay

Old 02-18-2006, 12:51 PM   #166
Little Green Man

Thanks for the help, might be better to email them though, i dont think it would be terribly cheap to call venom from Australia. (They are in America, aren't they?)
Old 02-18-2006, 01:13 PM   #167
Roachie
New Member Will Do

LGM.....your probably better to use your LHS and have them deal with it I know my shop deals direct with the Aust distributor.......I'm in Armidale NSW.

Regards
Old 02-19-2006, 08:45 AM   #168
zappedalaskan

Sorry LGM, I didn't see that you are in AU. Like Roachie said, I'd try the shop where you bought it and let them deal with shipping matters. The number I posted for them is a toll free number. I don't know if "Toll free" is free from there or not.. Best of luck.
Cheers,
Jay

Old 02-20-2006, 11:44 AM   #169
Roachie
New Member Will Do

Pirellip....

Any luck with the brass ball ends?
if so what brand/breed, diameter and attachment methods are you using?
Old 02-20-2006, 03:22 PM   #170
pirellip

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Roachie View Post
Pirellip....

Any luck with the brass ball ends?
if so what brand/breed, diameter and attachment methods are you using?
Yes I had luck with the brass ball ends. I got them from my LHS, I remember Chris from Venom saying they are 3.8mm.
I drilled a small hole then threded them in on both the blade grips and see saw arms. CAed them after I had screwed them in for good measure.

Took it out for a whirl, and hovered for a small amount of time. Became distracted when a mother let her young son run over to the heli, and caught a blade on the ground. The ball ends are fine, but I snapped off the see saw arm pin (the plastic part then you melt)

The next step is to replace that part with a metal screw, as I've seen done before, and try again...
Old 02-22-2006, 12:20 PM   #171
Roachie
New Member Will Do

Wouldn't you know it the balls I ordered on the Internet last night.....are out of stock...bugger...rang them and changed the order to another brand (Dubro)....but whats the bet the new parts from Venom turn up before the Balls do?

Anyway got my old trusty NRII to fly....up to the horse centre again for about an hours theropy before dark.......aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh that feels better
Old 02-23-2006, 07:30 PM   #172
Ah Clem

Brushless Upgrade:

I just flew three flights with the Brushless motor/ESC upgrade. I was very cautious on the first flight, as I wanted to check the flight duration and look for a performance drop, prior to the cut-off on the ESC kicking in (posters on another forum had suggested that the cut-off might be a problem-as it turns out, it was not).

There is a noticeable , but not huge, drop in power (I usually punch the throttle occasionally during the flight to see if the rate of climb changes) after about 10 minutes (running a 1000 mah, 3S Honeybee pack). I took this as the indication that it was time to land.

I never did have the Cut-Off kick in.

On the second flight I punched it, and flew it around in FFF. The throttle curve is different and somewhat difficult to explain. The brushless motor starts at a higher throttle stick setting and the power curve seems to be flatter-lots of torque and no bogging of the main rotor head in high G turns at high throttle. A big improvement here.

Along with the increase in power, there is a change in performance with the brushless upgrade and the CF blades. It is difficult to separate the change caused by the Brushless Upgrade vs. the CF blades. The CG is slightly further forward with the ESC and wiring mounted under the 4-in-1 and inside of the canopy (which is, by the way, a pretty tight fit). The helicopter is smoother and handles somewhat better, both in the hover and in FFF. I suspect that part of this is due to the slight weight increase and the forward CG. I also think part of it is due to the stiffeness of the CF blades.

I was unable to fly the CF blades more than a couple of times with the old motor as the motor was wearing out and its performance we degrading significantly. The little that I flew it, the handling was better and quicker, but more proportional to control inputs.

As the tail motor is still the original, and now has 40 flights on it, I am going to replace it now, rather than tempt fate. There is no sign of weakness or performance degradation at the moment.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:35 AM   #173
JuliNr3d

Smile Venom Night Ranger 3D

Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
"On another note, Where has Juli been? I hope she didn't get abducted "

Being that it is tax season, I suspect it is more likely that she was deducted...
Sorry Guys,
Been sick as a dog with RA and haven't been able to do much of anything except lay in bed. I'm getting back on my feet and hope to have my heli back from Venom later next week. I replaced parts and got pretty good at taking it apart and putting it back together,(by myself even!) but just couldn't get it trimmed and there was some vibration I couldn't find the source of. So... off to the heli docs for a check up.
In the meantime, I've been catching up on all the threads and have to say it's a breath of fresh air to come over here! Respectful discussions, tales of flight time and tech advice are much easier and pleasant to read than wading through some of these threads that have turned into bashfests. Anyway, I sure am looking forward to some flight time. I even went to a link recommended for "flight lessons" and printed it out. I think it will really help me. If anyone wants the link, I'll dig it up. The guy has a GREAT sense of humor and some excellent tips! I had a great time working on my heli and gaining a better understanding of how things work, even though I didn't get it flight ready. When it gets back, I will be going AWOL on my obligations for a while so I get to play, lol. Being a redhead makes it hard to behave for very long and I'm overdue!
Old 03-01-2006, 02:18 AM   #174
Roachie
New Member Will Do

Hi Juli good to hear your getting it together.....hair colour doesn't have much to do with this little addiction of ours.....but I guess it must help LOL

I agree its nice to get a site where you don't need flame proof garments to participate..heehh....and get some encouragement to get the heli doing what U want it to do...

Keep on keeping on..
Old 03-01-2006, 03:18 PM   #175
JuliNr3d

Thanks Roachie,
It's great to be feeling better and I'm enjoying the heck out of reading everyone's escapades with their helis. I'm amazed at how much I have learned since starting this hobby/addiction! I can't wait till my heli comes back to apply what I've learned.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters