Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Micro Sized Electric Helicopters Discuss micro and mini sized electric rc helis in here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-01-2006, 04:46 PM   #176
Ah Clem

Friends: (0)

Welcome back Juli!

Glad to see that you have returned.

I agree with you regarding the flame issues on the other forum. It is really unfortunate, as it does not help any of us in terms of learning (and after 30 years of flying R/C helicopters, I still have a lot to learn), and does end up souring some people who might otherwise be very successful with the helicopter.

Oh well, that is human nature for you.

46 or 48 flights on the VNR3D now (I have to check-I have lost count). It is flying better than ever and the brushless upgrade is very good.

I am getting ready to fly the TREX again, after a disasterous crash a week and a half ago (pilot error).

Keep us posted as to your progress!
Old 03-03-2006, 04:50 PM   #177
VENOMOUS

Hey guys just checking in, anything major going on?

Ive done tests on different heli's by clamping them down to a stand to get performance measurements and all of them will vibrate a bit, some more than others. If you hold the 3D in your right hand tilted away from you and slowly spool it up with the left you should not fell very much of a vibration at all, maybe only as it starts to straighten the blades out. These RTR's come pretty balanced from the get go and its very easy to tell when they go out of balance.

If you adjust the PZT nob you should note which direction it made the improvement in tail control and then adjust the gyro according to that info. Then return the nob to its original position. What you have done in effect is change the torque load the gyro it fighting. By adding torque or taking it away you have solved your problem with which direction to turn the gyro adjustment pot. Add torque/less gain less torque more gain. Just another way to look at it.

Chris
Old 03-03-2006, 04:51 PM   #178
VENOMOUS

Originally Posted by Little Green Man View Post
Thanks for the help, might be better to email them though, i dont think it would be terribly cheap to call venom from Australia. (They are in America, aren't they?)
We have an office in Australia, look in your manual we are in Botany.

Chris
Old 03-08-2006, 02:38 PM   #179
JuliNr3d

Hi Ah Clem,
My heli is on it's way back to me, flying beautifully for Paul D.! Hopefully I will learn to do as well or at least learn to crash gently! Venom has been wonderful, they looked at my heli and made the few adjustments it needed and it only cost me to ship it there. I would like to personally thank Paul S., Paul D. and Chris for all the time and support they have unstintingly provided.
Oooh, I hope it gets here today! I think I want to learn to fly it stock before trying the various upgrades available. I figure I've got to walk before I fly, lol. I'm studying up on how the brushless motor, lipos, etc. affect performance and watching what others are experiencing with their upgrades. I'm also delving into physics and aerodynamics, it's fun to learn about it now that I don't "have to". lol It ties in pretty good with my flight shooting a bow with special arrows, which is another hobby of mine. Needless to say, I'm never bored!
Old 03-08-2006, 04:40 PM   #180
Ah Clem

Juli,

Sounds like you should be flying again very, very soon!

I have now hit 50 flights on mine (all but about 3 actually zooming around). The only broken part so far has been the tail skid, which I snagged in a wrought iron table when picking the machine up to install the battery (stupid-I know). I had to drill out the old skid and replaced it with a piece of carbon fiber rod from a broken Honeybee CP2 landing gear.
The stock motor was replaced with the brushless after 37 flights (it started to loose power gradually. The stock blades were replaced with the CF ones, just to upgrade.

I am looking forwards to the upgrade parts.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:01 PM   #181
JuliNr3d

Hi there, Ah Clem and Venomous,
It's here!!!! I did the first battery lesson from Dream-models and it is perfect! I was able to control it and it is so smoooooth! I cracked my husband up, jumping around like a kid when the Fed-Ex guy drove up.
I'm going to let things cool down, recharge and play some more.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:15 AM   #182
viking
This needs an easy button

Hello there, I'm new to this forum and new to r/c rotary aircraft. I bought the VNR3D as my first helicopter. I've flown gas powered fixed wing for many years and thought I could make the switch without too much stress. I must say after a week of flying indoors and out I have just about got the hang of not crashing it into the ground.

I've bought 2 sets of blades a main motor and a skid. Not too shabby. I can hover out a whole pack without smashing (again) into the walls or furniture.

Thanks for putting together this forum.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:06 PM   #183
VENOMOUS

Hey Viking,

Welcome, and congrats on the successfull flying, keep it up!

Chris
Old 03-14-2006, 05:50 AM   #184
viking

Thanks! I do have a burning question tho... What should be done with the RX antenna? Should I leave it wrapped around the skid or run it out and tape it to the boom? Oh... One more semi burning or smoldering question... If I move up to a 3 cell will I really get 3 times more run time?
Old 03-14-2006, 03:30 PM   #185
Ah Clem

Viking,

I have never cared much for the antenna wrapped around the skids (although it does work).

Mine exits the lower extreme front of the nose, passes through a piece of pushrod tubing tie wrapped to the struts, and is taped to the tailskid fin in back. Just make sure that none of it can get up into the blades (main or tail rotor) because it will find a way to do so).

I am using 3S, 1000 mah Lipos and am getting 10-12 minutes. I think Venom makes a 1220 mah 3S which will give you still more air time. Use main and tail motor heat sinks-especially with Lipos!
Old 03-14-2006, 11:51 PM   #186
t. edwards

Hi,

What's the length and diameter of a nite ranger flybar? Thx, Tom
Old 03-16-2006, 07:14 PM   #187
viking

what would cause me to burn out 2 main 370 fireball motors in 2 weeks? Using stock setup. And second motor was using a heatsink on main and tail motor. I am stumped and angered. Thank you.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:50 AM   #188
bluesjunky57
justa slave to the rhythm

Hey all, dropped in to see what's up. Update: I think my main motor is about to crap-out. I started to get into a hover, and the RPM started to drop after only about 45 secs. The battery was full, so I don't know what else it could be. Unless my cells are going bad. Oh well, may be a perfect excuse to go brushless!
Old 03-17-2006, 04:58 AM   #189
viking

Ah HAAA! That is the key not to lose another main motor. Going brushless. My local shop in Phoenix told me this after I bought 1300 3c lipo and charger and new stock motor. I will wait until my new stock eats it (hopefully not while doing something spooky) and replace it with brushless. Maybe new RX and Radio also. Wife suggested that we look at the logo while we were there also ! ZOINKS!

Thanks for the wealth of info on this site guys.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:23 AM   #190
Ah Clem

My stock main motor lasted about 37 flights. It started to loose power on about the 35th flight and by the 37th you could hear the blades bog down in a tight, high speed turn.

If the motors get stopped, with the throttle still up, such as on a tip over, or a crash without getting the 3D switch turned off in time, I understand their lives will be significantly shortened. I believe that this is the case for all brushed motors, not exclusivly Venom's.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:54 PM   #191
bluesjunky57

off topic, but how's the trex going clem?
Old 03-18-2006, 11:19 PM   #192
Ah Clem

It would be going fine, if I had not dorked it on about the 10th flight. I was flying at dusk, and lost orientation-pure pilot error, both from a judgement standpoint (too dark for my old eyes to see it properly) and a dumb thumb standpoint.

I basically executed a roll, turned 180 degrees, and banked it into the ground (gerber league mistake).

It is back together, with a lot of the metal parts now and flying again.

It flies beautifully and is very easy to fly. The control response is actually not as quick as the VNR3D. More power though, and more proportional handling.

I am alternating between the two now and enjoying both.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:10 AM   #193
bluesjunky57

Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post

I am alternating between the two now and enjoying both.
good to hear. still waiting on a main for mine. LHS says tues. seriously tryin' to get into slimers since the wind almost never lets up and indoor meets are only once a week. still wouldn't mind getting a 'rex though.
-Trey
Old 03-19-2006, 02:37 AM   #194
Ah Clem

Trey,

The wind does not seem to bother the TREX much. I flew the VNR3D in the wind, and it did pretty well, considering that it was fairly gusty.

What is a slimer?
Old 03-19-2006, 05:56 PM   #195
bluesjunky57

slimer: loud, nitro guzzling, hulk of an airframe that spews slime and gunk on everything and burns nostral hairs.

I'm still in the hover stage, so gusts really freak me out. I think once I get into FF, the wind won't be as much a problem.

BTW, just came from the other forum and it's getting out of control over there. I'm not sure how much longer I can handle it.
-Trey
Old 03-19-2006, 06:39 PM   #196
JuliNr3d

Blues,
I sure hear ya! I've had enough and won't be going back. I hope to be back learning to fly tomorrow. My antennae got misplaced in shipment, so am waiting on a new one to arrive. Hopefully it will get here tomorrow!
The "Slimer" definition cracked me up. I'm nowhere remotely brave enough to try things outside yet. March is notoriously gusty here, so it is inside on my piece of cardboard with a square drawn in the middle.
Juli
Old 03-19-2006, 10:18 PM   #197
bluesjunky57

Juli,
this place is more like home anyway. Sorry to hear about the antennae, yeah I'm out till tues waiting on a main motor. Happy hovering,
-Trey
Old 03-20-2006, 06:21 AM   #198
zap3267@charter.net

I am trying to upgrade mine to the brushless and was wondering about your setup Clem and anyone else. I am gonna wind up with a couple of miles of wire if I leave everything the way it comes with the Y adaptor. I then need to take it from the Venom plug down to my lipo plug. I also dont know what the difference is in the size of the pinions. This Dummy doesn't need to be modding LOL
Old 03-20-2006, 03:26 PM   #199
Ah Clem

Zap,

It was more of a challenge stuffing the wires into the canopy than the motor and ESC installation for the brushless upgrade. The ESC is velcroed underneath the aluminum frame, under the 4-in-1, The velcro strap now wraps around the 4-in-1, the aluminum frame, and the ESC. The miles of wires are wrapped back and fourth and strapped down. It is hard to get the canopy on.

You may have to file the frame a bit so that the brushless motor will fit (it is very slightly too large in the bearing area).

Make sure to put a drop of light oil on each of the bearings.

The performance increase is worth both the expense and the installation effort.

Julie, Trey,

As for the other forum, it is most unfortunate, the direction that it is taking. One individual, who has only been flying (or trying to fly) for about a year (apparently an "instant expert"), seems to think that establishing a link between Venom and Walkera is just slightly more important that Watergate or the location of WMD's.

Very sad, as that person does, occasionally, seem to have some good, positive information sometimes. In the meantime, the tirades turn people off and restrict the flow of useful information from those of us who do like to compare notes and exchange information.

Sorry if this was a bit of a tirade also.

It seems nicer (not to mention more peaceful) over here.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:23 PM   #200
viking

I just upgraded to brushless. I'm not using the stock connection for the battery so it was just a couple snips away to clean up the extra wire. Flys like a dream!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters