Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Brushless Motor Construction
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Brushless Motor Construction Discuss design and construction of custom Brushless motors

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-18-2008, 07:01 AM   #1
AeroJim

Friends: (0)
Default Test Stand

Hi Guys,
I need to build a test stand for testing/rating props. It needs to run them at up to 7500 RPM and I will be measuring static thrust vs. power input. The current requirement is for testing 16x14 props, but I may need to do other sizes eventually. I'm thinking a large brushless airplane motor (2HP or so) might work. The stand will be stationary, so there will be only propwash for cooling and, to make things worse, there will be a 4 inch prop spinner and motor fairing to minimise turbulance. I can add cooling fins to the fairing if needed, and some vents for the motor, but it won't see anything like the airflow you'd have in flight.
Being a lab set-up, I don't have the usual power and weight limitations as on a plane. I just need to find an efficient motor setup that can spin the prop up to that RPM more or less continuously without smoke.
Is this even realistic, or should I be looking at another type of motor? I found some long-skinny DC servomotors that would fit behind the spinner, but they're big-$$ and it's hard to find one that will do that kind of RPM without gearing. Any advice?
Thanks!
Jim
Old 05-18-2008, 08:58 AM   #2
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Club: www.rmvc-cumulus.nl

Several test stand designs, ranging from simple&cheap to elaborate&$$$/€€€
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386175

Several e-flight calculators:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606703

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Old 05-18-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
Dr Kiwi
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (3)

I'd look at Neu Motors - Steve has several motors capable of 1000's of watts.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:24 PM   #4
AeroJim

Default Test Stand

Wow, thanks for the links. It'll take some time to digest, but looks like a lot of good info.
Jim

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Brushless Motor Construction