Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-29-2008, 12:41 AM   #1
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (7)
Default LiPo, surplus Ammo box storage

Just got a coulpe 50 cal surplus ammo boxes of an "auction site". $24 shipped, not bad without going to a gun show. Anyhow....

My question is: If I am storing lipo batteries in them, with about a 6 foot radius in the unfinished corner of the basement, would it be better to remove the gaskets from the lids to prevent an explosion hazard from a potential lipo fire, or leave the gaskets in place to attempt to fully contain one?

What do y'all think? Any first hand experience? Thanks!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant

-Rob
Old 05-29-2008, 02:57 AM   #2
everydayflyer
Southern Pride

View everydayflyer's Gallery13
Friends: (0)

Best is to install a muffler such as used on around a 10 HP lawnmower motor. This will provide a means to vent the ammon can just in case but will help prevent flames / sparks from exiting. If it contains a large quanity of LiPoly and they suffer a chain reaction then it really make little difference. A test was conducded with a 2" vent and the lid blew violently anyway.

The odds of LiPolys going off while just setting are extremely low.

Charles
Old 05-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (7)

That sound good, thanks! I am assuming the 2" vent was cut into the gasket?

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant

-Rob
Old 05-29-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
everydayflyer
Southern Pride

View everydayflyer's Gallery13

The two inch vent was a length of flexible exhaust pipe. The 50 cal. case had a lot of large LiPolys in it. Some of the cells were deliberately overcharged till........ When they started to go the latched lid was blown open the case bulged. Point being that even a large vent will not be enough if a large capacity of LiPolys are stored together and they suffer a chain reaction event.

Ever notice that most LiPoly destructive test are with 3S or less and 5000 mAh or less?

Here is the test

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355739

Charles
Old 05-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #5
Hughes500Bob
Full Scale Pilot

Store your Lipos at 50% charge when not using regularly. If you have the room in your basement, just build a storage shelter for them out of fire bricks. The most dangerous time is when charging them. Do not leave them unattended, or at the very least put a smoke detector above your charging area and keep a fire extinguisher handy. Most extinguishers will not put out the Lipo fire, but will extinguish those combustables that they ignite. Make sure of your cell count and charge rate EVERY time. For the ammo cans .... do not lock the lid unless you provide a lot of venting or you risk a more serious explosion.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:22 PM   #6
Laggard
Who's got my six?

I'd heard that metal boxes are bad places to store batteries as there is a chance of the battery contacts touching the metal and shorting out the battery.

Brian - AMA 666 72 mhz and glitch free!!!

Old 05-30-2008, 05:03 PM   #7
cliffh

I gotta agree with Charles. The chance of anything exploding while just sitting there is very remote. Ever go to a hobby store? The lipos are just hanging on the hooks or sitting on shelves.....and I've never heard of them just going up in flames. Same with cell phone batteries, GPS batteries, and so on. Oh, those computers that burst into flames? They were plugged in and overcharging.

They explode due to over charging, discharging WAY to fast, or damaged in a crash, but to my knowlege NEVER just sitting there doing nothing.

But I'll agree that no harm can come of storing them out of harms way.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
jlachow

The gasket seal on a ammo can is there for a purpose, to keep moisture out.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers

Tags
ammo , box , lipo , storage , surplus