Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-08-2006, 12:34 AM   #1
Slent thndr

Friends: (0)
Default Formosa 2?

Does anyone here have the new Formosa II? Is it any good? I hear that it is basically the same thing as the original formosa but a little bigger.

The Force will be with you... Always
Old 01-12-2006, 06:18 PM   #2
Jeremy Z
Wind Warrior

View Jeremy Z's Gallery6

I've seen it advertised, but never actually heard from someone who had one. Maybe GWS is trying the old Great Planes trick where they start advertising it for months before its arrival. I hate that !@$%^.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:38 PM   #3
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

No reports yet, I was really excited about it, until I saw the size of the control surfaces. It appears they tried to make a 3d pattern ship.

I will let someone else try first.

Mike
Old 01-12-2006, 08:32 PM   #4
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

This plane was on my radar as well. I'm curious to see whether or not they cured the aileron flutter problem. Also, it appears to be the exact same plane as the Formosa I. With the exception of the larger ailerons.Though I'd still buy one if they fixed the flutter. I like the way it flies.

I refuse to grow up! And as long as there are RC planes to fly, I don't have to!
Old 01-12-2006, 09:31 PM   #5
trogdor
Electriglo pilot

Default Formosa 2 Flight report

It is a bigger Formosa 1 with huge surfaces. I actually did learn some 3D on the original STOCK version!, rolling harriers and hovering, but this thing has a lot more control authority as they say.

Formosa 2 Flight Report

Ok, I got in two 6-7 minute flights today. One was using a new APEX 2200 pack and the other a new TP 2100 prolite pack

CG was set pretty much right on the spar. I worried about the floppy landing gear but since this plane takes off in 10 feet and we currently have short grass there were no problems... it kinda looked like a low rider with the hydraulic hopping dealies on landing though!

So, I did NO real trimming of any kind, I just wanted to get it in the air. The wind was 4-5 mph or so which is more than I hoped for today.

Rolling Harriers were GREAT, the big ailerons really can make the plane roll at very slow speeds and the roll rate was very high at faster speeds. It reminds me of my Funtana 40 with digital servos in the ailerons. I could adjust the angle of the rolls from 40ish degrees to 60ish degrees using the big rudder and elevator. In those 5 mph or less winds I could get it to do a rolling harrier right over one spot in the field with no forward ground speed.. looked cool.

Hovering is pretty easy and it torque rolls nicely, not too much input required. It just blew down the field in a torque roll and looked nice.

Elevators are almost as good as the Ultrafly Ultimate. You can do this big barrel roll snap thing (using full throw) starting at a decent speed and settle right into an elevator and come almost straight down. Does inverted well too.

Does a great looking knife edge spin, although I couldn't get upright or inverted flat spins to really flatten out.

Couldnt get it into a good water fall.

KNIFE EDGE... ok this wasnt so good. It kept wanting to flop out although I think it was gusty up at 40 feet or so over the trees surrounding our field. So I'm not sure on this one but knife edge either way pulled.. forgot which way but it really had to be driven while in knife edge.

Harriers wing rocked a fair amount until you got the right angle locked in. Then it seemed pretty stable. I could drive it in harrier around the field and then harrier land it pretty easily... the bouncing didn't warp the landing gear.. I mean it has the same prop clearance that it started with.

I will say that it seemed twitchy almost like I was flying a Formosa 1 in windy conditions although maybe its the CG so far back?? I dunno, too little time to really judge it but I liked what I saw so far. Maybe it is too heavy??

The biggest bummer was my new APEX 2200 pack couldn't really keep up with the motor and 11x5.5E prop... I had terrible power for uplines after only a couple minutes. The prolite was better but I'll be sad if I have to blow another 160 bucks for a couple more of those to fly this thing more than once or twice a day! Dang. I'm sure my old 2100s wont do too well either.

Well, its been a long time coming and I've blown a wad of dough on this 50 dollar foam plane but I think it'll be a winner. I can't say anything really about its use as a pattern plane though, my CG was too far back I think and not propped right for that.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:33 PM   #6
trogdor
Electriglo pilot

oh and the outline of the tail feathers are a bit different on the Formosa 2, its not just a blown up 1 with larger surfaces cut out.

I've had a fast F1 and never had flutter issues but I've used two aileron servos on the brushless F1 and this F2 has HS-81s on ailerons and HS56s on the tail.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:44 PM   #7
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

Originally Posted by trogdor View Post
I've had a fast F1 and never had flutter issues but I've used two aileron servos on the brushless F1 and this F2 has HS-81s on ailerons and HS56s on the tail.
Actually, Both my formosa's had dual servos for the ailerons. I've never liked the torque rods in GWS planes. Too much slop. I guess it was just the build, but I never really figured out the flutter.

Steve

I refuse to grow up! And as long as there are RC planes to fly, I don't have to!
Old 01-19-2006, 09:43 AM   #8
Col

Going to sound a little uninformed here but;

What is a Harrier and what is a Harrier roll?

What is a torque roll?
Old 01-19-2006, 03:17 PM   #9
trogdor
Electriglo pilot

A harrier is when you fly along slowly at a constant altitude but your nose is pointed up at around 45 degrees. Since your angle of attack is so steep you can drive around at a walking speed using ailerons to level wing rock and the rudder to steer while using nearly full 3d elevator to hold you there.

Harrier roll is same slow constant altitude high AOA but doing rolls the whole time. Gives your radio gimbals a workout. You can do a harrier rolling circle which is pretty cool looking also.

torque roll is the plane pointing straight up but not gaining or losing altitude and just spinning from the torque of the motor spinning the prop. You needs lots of power for this one. Doing it a few inches off the ground is challenging but lower is sometimes easier because you can see the plane so its much easier to react faster.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:15 AM   #10
Gary Fuller

Well, the ailerons are large and the kit is quite nice. However that is just looking at the kit. I have not started building yet so we will see. It is not like the F1.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:19 AM   #11
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

I'll get one of these regardless. I enjoyed my Formosa 1.

Steve

Old 02-01-2006, 03:05 AM   #12
Gary Fuller

Default Formosa 1

I agree the Formosa 1 is a really good plane I've had mine now for well over a year. It gets at least 4 flights a weekend so it has a few hours on it. However, the Formosa 2 was a must have, and if I can get the right power setup should fly just as good as the F1.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:57 AM   #13
Jeremy Z
Wind Warrior

View Jeremy Z's Gallery6
Default Finished and maidened my Formosa today.

It's a Formosa 1. Not really interested in the 2, as I'm not into 3D.

This plane really flies well. I think I will join the ranks of people who always have to have a Formosa in their fleet.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:14 AM   #14
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

I'm not into 3D either. But the Formosa does not have to be flown as such.

Steve

Old 02-01-2006, 09:14 AM   #15
Col

My Formosa 2 kit has arrived.

I bought it because I thought it was a foam pattern type bird. Its not?
Old 02-01-2006, 11:25 AM   #16
Gary Fuller

Ah yes! I'm no 3d flyer myself. I love my Formosa 1 awesome airplane. I also fly an Aerocat pusherjet and its a rocket. The Formosa2 is going to be for pattern flying its bigger and should fly a little more smoother. The reviews are just starting to come in on this one, and its either going to be a winner or looser. So far its a winner, people will do the mods and make it a great flying airplane also. Just my 2 cents
Old 02-11-2006, 12:38 AM   #17
kensp

I have been flying my Formosa II for more than 3 months now and I am using it to learn to fly the complete Sportsman Patern. I find that the larger size and slower aparent speed of the Formosa II is a very big help in orienting the aeroplane to allow a smooth straight entry into the patern manouvers. It also has a superior ability to take off and land on grass, with 1 1/2 inch long grass posing no problems.

The large control surfaces do not detract from the Formosa IIs ability to fly patern but the control throws must be kept small to allow that wonderfull smoothnes characteristic of a patern aeroplane.

Ken

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kens Formosa II.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	7149  
Old 02-11-2006, 02:22 AM   #18
Gary Fuller

Hi Ken, Thanks for the reply, I've been following your thread on RC Groups. Unfortunatly, I have to wait till i'm back from vacation to build the plane. I'm retiring in a year an my wife and I are planing on building a home on a priviate lake in Missouri, USA. The vacation is to go and get all the permits to build the house.
I'm taking the F1 just to fly on the property and break in the neighborhood. I also have my screamming pusher jet to really terrorize the people next door, should be fun. Anyway I also want to use it for the sportsman pattern. Your plane looks really good, I just have to come up with a good power to weight ratio. I've been looking at the Hacker Motors in the 2808-20 range. Keep up the post and I look forward to reading how well your plane is doing. Thanks, Gary Fuller
Old 02-11-2006, 03:06 AM   #19
kensp

Gary

I would sugest the Hacker A30-16M. The Hacker web site lists this motor at US$ 79.99. Its weight is 3.7 oz and this will make balancing easier.

The specifications with a 10x5 APC Thin Electric propeller and a 3 cell battery pack are:-

Static Motor Amps = 25.4
Motor Volts = 10.3
Input (W) = 262.2
MGbOut (W) = 209.7
MotGb Ef(%) = 80.0
Prop RPM = 9440
Thrust (oz) = 51.4
PSpd (mph) = 44.7

Ken
Old 02-11-2006, 04:12 AM   #20
Gary Fuller

Ken, I guess it was the outrunner I was looking at. I remember you saying something about the hacker. I will check it out. Does it have the power?? My F1 will go vertical out of sight. The F2 is slightly BIGGER. Your specifications look like what I'm looking for. Thanks, I will look at their sight. Gary
Old 02-11-2006, 04:17 AM   #21
Gary Fuller

Get this Ken, I just looked at their sight and they are right up the road from where I live. Only an hour and a half away, Cool. Guess I'm going to have to have a hacker. Gary
Old 02-11-2006, 07:24 AM   #22
kensp

Gary

With my Formosa II I can ROG and as soon as the Formosa II is high enough for the tail to clear the ground I can rotate to 90 degrees and do a Space Shuttle type climbout to out of sight. This is with 10% less power than the Hacker A30-16M. With the Hacker your Formosa II should weigh about 30 oz and you will have about 50 oz of thrust.

Ken
Old 02-11-2006, 12:01 PM   #23
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (39)

Welcome to the site ken and gary!

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies