Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-25-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
MK Dave

Friends: (0)
Default A123 cells and suitable ESCs

I'm thinking about getting some A123 cells but having no experience of them I would like to know if my Lipo compatible ESCs would work and especially cut off at the correct voltage?

All my ESCs are programable via cards with Lipo cut off-of selectable voltage i.e., high, medium and low, so do you just select the voltage that is most approprate and what voltage is this?

Regards,

mkdave
Old 06-25-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
everydayflyer
Southern Pride

View everydayflyer's Gallery13
Friends: (0)

Use two volts per cell or Auto Ni setting.

A123s have an extremely flat discharge and when they reach approx. 95% empty they drop like a brick.

Use a timer. Setting LVC higher does not help.

Charles
Old 06-26-2008, 03:37 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

I've got four packs of A123's, two of 4S1P, and two of 6S2P. The ESC's are Castle creations, I've set them to reduce power at 2.8 VDC per cell which seems to work very well. The 6S2P packs are running at 52 amps, and are only 10 degrees above ambient after a flight. The 4S1P packs are running at 25-35 Amps, same temperature rise. As a rule, I never discharge them more than about 60% of capacity, to allow for aborted landings, go-arounds and the like.

As others have indicated, these cells give full power, until they shut down, and that is very rapidly.

I've been recording total amphours delivered from these packs. One of the 6S2P packs has delivered a total of 95 Amp Hours, with no loss of capacity or increased voltage drop under the 52 Amp load.

Don't EVER short these dang things! The battery will win, they WILL melt anything in their path! (Don't ask how I know)

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems

Tags
a123 , cells , escs , suitable