Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-22-2008, 04:58 PM   #51
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

PEEP... WaaaCK... geez a freaking e-mouse....LOL
SK

Ministeve's videos
http://www.vimeo.com/user483596/videos
Ministeve's Photo Page at Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30153396@N06/
Old 07-22-2008, 07:19 PM   #52
aero_k

Friends: (3)

EDF, I'm looking at scratching a new 3D foamy, and the Clix looks like a nice one. I'm still new to 3D and looking to improve my skills. You said you can hook us up with some plans? I'm interested.....

Superfly | Hyperflea | RCpowers F-117 (x2) | F-18 Parkjet | F-22 Parkjet | HL Yak-55 | Mud Duck | Clik 3D | Lama v4
Old 07-22-2008, 07:44 PM   #53
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

View Alpea42's Gallery59
Friends: (25)

I can't wait 6 or 8 mos. I'll have ta make my own bipe-x. LOL HMMM or maybe a Tripe-x

THE B-2 Worlds most expensive airplane.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:51 PM   #54
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 

That looks just like a Gws Formosa2 Wing and tail,LOL
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/atta...5&d=1216621690

Ministeve's videos
Old 07-22-2008, 09:08 PM   #55
EDFrules
GravesRC enabler d:)

View EDFrules's Gallery65
Club: I wouldn't be part of any club that would have me!
Awards Showcase

3kW 
Friends: (9)

Just PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you what I've got. Can't think of any flat foamie mono I'd rather scratch build than the Clik. Got a couple just sitting on the bench waiting to get put together after tests from another setup we're trying. Check the Clik 52" thread for more info.
Originally Posted by aero_k View Post
EDF, I'm looking at scratching a new 3D foamy, and the Clix looks like a nice one. I'm still new to 3D and looking to improve my skills. You said you can hook us up with some plans? I'm interested.....
Old 07-22-2008, 09:12 PM   #56
EDFrules

Awards Showcase

3kW 

I don't think it will be that long. I would say about 3 or so. 90 days will be here before you know it. You'll have just gotten used to your Clik by then!
I know I ain't waiting no 6-8 mos. I'm going to make one with my color scheme anyway. I don't have any idea what they've got in mind for the production models. I'm sure it will be better than mine. Blasphemy!!! Tripe-X Heretic....LOL
Originally Posted by Alpea42 View Post
I can't wait 6 or 8 mos. I'll have ta make my own bipe-x. LOL HMMM or maybe a Tripe-x
Old 07-22-2008, 09:21 PM   #57
EDFrules

Awards Showcase

3kW 

Please don't use Formosa 2 and my Clik 3P in the same sentence together. Here's a vid of the first version. I've flown a F2 and it won't hold a pattern candle to the Clik 3P. Besides mines got too cool SFG's and a dogtooth leading edge. Way cooler LOL That things a real KE machine. Working on some more wings for it. Didn't like the thicker wing root and more chord. Live and learn. Forgot about that, dang another project on the list.

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 View Post
That looks just like a Gws Formosa2 Wing and tail,LOL
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/atta...5&d=1216621690
Old 07-22-2008, 09:24 PM   #58
TDisaster
Don't worry, be happy.

Club: Flying Hawks R/C Club
Send a message via AIM to TDisaster
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (14)

Think I could get some of those plans?
Piperkid3@aol.com
Old 07-22-2008, 10:32 PM   #59
EDFrules

Awards Showcase

3kW 

Hooked you up Aero K and 3Disaster. Have fun with them and try to post some pics or vids on the Clik 52" thread.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:08 AM   #60
TDisaster
Don't worry, be happy.

Club: Flying Hawks R/C Club
Send a message via AIM to TDisaster
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Thank you very much EDF .
Old 08-26-2008, 03:52 AM   #61
rpavich

Friends: (0)

Jasmine,
On your Yak; I noticed that you said that you packing taped it...is it very breakable stock?

I built a plane from foam-board with the paper removed and it was like flying a carton of eggs! very breakable...

So...I was wondering if these go back on sale soon and I get one...what to expect...

thanks,
bob
Old 08-26-2008, 03:14 PM   #62
aero_k

Friends: (3)

Bob, I can't speak for jasmine, and I don't have a yak, but packing tape is great for strengthening and toughening up a plane. It will resist cracking, resist bending and prevent dents and scratches better than bare foam. It doesn't add much weight either. A strip along the leading edges and belly of the plane (for protection in landings), plus a spanwie strip across the middle of the wing (to reduce wing flex) should do the trick.

Superfly | Hyperflea | RCpowers F-117 (x2) | F-18 Parkjet | F-22 Parkjet | HL Yak-55 | Mud Duck | Clik 3D | Lama v4
Old 08-26-2008, 09:02 PM   #63
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

View jasmine2501's Gallery4
Send a message via Yahoo to jasmine2501
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (19)

These profile foamies are all very breakable. In order to get the proper balance of stiffness and lightness, they are made of some brittle material that breaks very easily. Taping over the stress points will help, but you pay for it in weight. I decided to go for durability with mine, rather than lightness - so it doesn't fly as well as it could. If I build another one, I will probably put less tape on it, so it will fly better.

Get your Strykers and come on y'all... let's have a furball!
Old 08-26-2008, 09:17 PM   #64
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

View gzsfrk's Gallery20
Awards Showcase

1kW  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
These profile foamies are all very breakable. In order to get the proper balance of stiffness and lightness, they are made of some brittle material that breaks very easily. Taping over the stress points will help, but you pay for it in weight. I decided to go for durability with mine, rather than lightness - so it doesn't fly as well as it could. If I build another one, I will probably put less tape on it, so it will fly better.
Listen to Jazzy--she speaks the truth. My little Hobby-Lobby Yak-55 flat profile foamie is a great 3D flier, and has been super to learn with. However, that thin little 3/16" foam board will want to crunch up on even a modest impact. I did make mine quite a bit sturdier, though, by running a single strip of 2" clear packing tape the length of the bottom of the fuse as jasmine suggested. This helps it not take any damage on standard landings, and also strengthens that oh-so-fragile nose a bit as well. And, just the one strip of tape doesn't add too terribly to the overall weight (I can still do straight up vertical using a 2S battery powering a Turnigy 2830 motor).

In fact, I smacked mine straight into the ground a couple weeks ago, and other than a crinkle on the nose foam, a minor break along where the port wing attaches to the fuse, and a broken prop, it was great to go after a few quick repairs.

- Matt
"The exhilaration of flying is too keen, the pleasure too great, for it to be neglected as a sport."
- Orville Wright
Old 08-26-2008, 09:20 PM   #65
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 

I find durabily is only an issue if you crash it...
SK

PS, EDF... I really learned a good lesson witch the velox saturday and another one on sunday... check linkages, and check your settings... Saturday I forgot to put expo in... recommended setup is 75% on ailerons and elevator 85%... too twichy... I could have landed it, but it floats forever and It rolled into Skunkymagoo's tire...(no damage to his car).... so the rest of saturday I Repaired/rebuilt nose... Sunday... Linkages on both sides of elevator came off (quiklinks unscrewed)...so... Velox is dead... got another one ordered.... Freakin' great plane... but I'm really gonna check every little thing over.... my stupid mistake cost me the plane, and a 2000mah zippy-r 4cell pack.... PS, that Turnigy motor was prob overkill....I loved it...

Ministeve's videos
Old 08-26-2008, 09:33 PM   #66
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

View jasmine2501's Gallery4
Send a message via Yahoo to jasmine2501
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (19)

SK
Yes, that's why my next one will be less durable, but more flyable. Being able to do this is nice though:

Get your Strykers and come on y'all... let's have a furball!
Old 08-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #67
EDFrules

Awards Showcase

3kW 

I've learned a couple of lessons the hard way too Steve. 1) I don't skimp on linkages for any of my 3D planes anymore. Repaired enough damage already. 2) Overkill on linkages is not a bad thing for 3D planes. If you're using clevis' then slide some small dia. fuel tubing over it next to horns to make sure it doesn't come unclipped in flight. For my larger planes I use carbon tube with push in titanium ends JB welded to tube and heavy duty RC truck ball swivels. I highly recommend ball swivels for linkages. And yes, check everything after the first flight(s) to make sure nothing's come loose. Unfortunately=been there done that. But live and learn. Since going heavy duty on everything no probs(knock on balsa wood) with linkages. Good luck with your next one, I'm sure once you've got it down then you can open it up and have some real fun. The Velox can be such a violent performer it's a good thing to have heavy duty linkages on it!
SK

PS, EDF... I really learned a good lesson witch the velox saturday and another one on sunday... check linkages, and check your settings... Saturday I forgot to put expo in... recommended setup is 75% on ailerons and elevator 85%... too twichy... I could have landed it, but it floats forever and It rolled into Skunkymagoo's tire...(no damage to his car).... so the rest of saturday I Repaired/rebuilt nose... Sunday... Linkages on both sides of elevator came off (quiklinks unscrewed)...so... Velox is dead... got another one ordered.... Freakin' great plane... but I'm really gonna check every little thing over.... my stupid mistake cost me the plane, and a 2000mah zippy-r 4cell pack.... PS, that Turnigy motor was prob overkill....I loved it...

GoBrushless.com/3DHobbyshop.com
Shulman Aviation.com
Fusion-Pack.com /blakehilson.com http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f
Old 09-06-2008, 08:14 PM   #68
Fernando L. Benitez

Club: Posible change to The Buck RC Club

When it comes to profile foamies I believe in adding some reinforcement in the right area to keep it stiff and for strengthening the stress points. I use packing tape just for repair. If I want to strengthen the edges i use hinge tape or scotch tape because they do the job and they are lighter. CF rods and flat strips of CF are great to place in all the weak area and flexible points to add rigidity or strengthen without adding too much weight.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o</o
<o</o
I have used this in many of my foamys for some time and all fly without any sign of losing performance by the improvements. I also have the E-flite extra 260 that comes with all this reinforcement and like the rest I have beat the heck out of them. By flying them rough and crashing them hard and they still performe great after minor repairs. <o</o
<o</o
Foam planes or even balsa planes don't last forever so sooner or later they get retired for any given reason. There are ways to make it durable and keep them lite at the same time right from the start. After all they all get heavier in time with all the fixing, lol<o</o
<o</o
Fernando<o</o
Old 09-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #69
rpavich

Just by coincidence...check out what happened to me today....

I was flying...it was quiet and still; a perfect early saturday morning for trimming the plane out.

I got the last of the roll/pitch coupling mixed out of it....

Life was good.

Maybe I'll try a really low knife edge...

whoops...loss of orientation...push instead of pull...

BLAM!

See pics

Luckily, one hot glue gun and one hour later it was as good as new.

bob

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0005.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	77450   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0006.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	77451  
Old 09-07-2008, 04:42 AM   #70
Fernando L. Benitez

Club: Posible change to The Buck RC Club

That's the best part of a foam plane. If it break it's an easy fix and take a very short time to have it back in the air. I do things with my foamies that I will never do with my balsa ones. Like doing very rough manuvers or taking them closer to the deck because if I break them I'll be grounded for weeks and not just a day.

Im glad you fix it and enjoy in it again.

Fernando
Old 01-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #71
Supergeebee

New to this Forum. I am so impressed with the Clik X. Is it still possible to obtain the plans to build this kit? Also do you manufacture and sell some kits?
Great posts...

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying

Tags
plane