Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Member Product Reviews > Aircraft Reviews
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Aircraft Reviews Member based Reviews on ARF's and Kits Open for Business!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Comment

Review Tools Display Modes
Winsky Merlin FamousT206
Winsky Merlin FamousT206
Full review
Published by ganst949
08-11-2008
Thumbs up Winsky Merlin FamousT206

I recently picked up the Winfly T206 from my local hobbyshop. $200 RTF standard version.
The components were neatly packed in the box with reinforcong cardboard formers. Everything was bagged or boxed and no damage was found. Two sets of direction(both stating mostly the same thing) were included, and I must say, for being manufactured in China(?) or Japan(?) it was worded rather well in english.
The one flaw in packaging I did find was the substitution of the wing mounting screws with two small useless screws. The forward mounting screws for the wing were missing! In their place was what they called "Item #2 screws". They wouldn't fit for anything. I went back to the hobby shop and we found some equivelent screws to fit.
Apart from that it was a good build.
I did need to shave a little bit of foam from the elevator where it scrapes the empenage(tail cone). Maybe a millimeter or so.
I was glad to see that Winfly fixed the problem with the foam spinner. It was known to fall off or rub against the cowl. They replaced it with a bolt-on two piece plastic variant.
Photos: (I cant seem to get them in the thread.
http://www.wattflyer.com/photopost/s...php?photo=2904

I did system check the morning after purchasing it and had to make some adjustments to the control surface angles.
I have yet to fly it but I will post on here what I find.

Maiden complete!
Wow, this is a keeper. Strong breeze but handled well. I set the dual rates switch to the lowest and for my first aileron aircraft, I was impressed. The plane met 99% of my expectations. What is the other 1% you ask? I expected to crash it. not so with this bird. I will be doing some more flights soon, and maybe try a little more aggresive flying. The glide rate was very nice as I had to force it down before the tree line came up.
From what I can tell, anyone with some experience looking at buying this piece should go for it.

I know this is not recommended, but in the future, I plan on hooking up a parachute drop mechanism. (Don't worry, I've done this before!) I'll let you know how it goes.
*OUT*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syI6TfgmEjw

Specifications
Wingspan: Overall Length: Wing Area: Flying Weight:
Equipment Used:
Motor: Speed Control: Servos: 3- E/R/A Battery:
Retail Price:
$200
Manufacturer
Winsky

Author review
Kit Instructions:
70%70%70%
Materials & Packaging:
80%80%80%
Ease of Build & Finish:
100%100%100%
Design & Appearance:
90%90%90%
General Flight Characteristics:
100%100%100%
Performance Capabilities:
80%80%80%
Maintenance & Repair:
100%100%100%
Average 89%

Member rating
Kit Instructions:
60%60%60%
Materials & Packaging:
75%75%75%
Ease of Build & Finish:
95%95%95%
Design & Appearance:
60%60%60%
General Flight Characteristics:
75%75%75%
Performance Capabilities:
65%65%65%
Maintenance & Repair:
75%75%75%
2 users rated 72% average

Experience Level Advised
Experience Level Advised
Intermediate,Beginner

Review Tools
Show Printable Version  Email this Page 
Old 08-11-2008, 12:49 AM

just click on the camera under my profile picture (I don't know how to post them on the page)
Old 08-14-2008, 04:15 PM

NEW VIDEO with the camera mounted getting my 3 brothers' planes in the shot!
Old 09-25-2008, 01:25 AM

Location: Langley, BC - Ship 2 and from WA State all the time!
Send a message via MSN to High_Flyer_360
Cool she is a nice bird to fly.

I purchased the Famous T206 a year ago. She came packaged nicely. thought the photo's on hobby lobby site are not the same as the plane u receive plane is still a nice design, and very easy to assemble. The controller is OK. not a pro by any means. I was able to achieve 10 - 12 min flight times, with 10 mph winds. Loops, rolls, and ease of landing and take off are all achieved with this plane. sadly my landing gear tore off and decided to belly land her instead. I agree it is "Famous" branded only. Well a Chinese company with a decent try with an rtf.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:13 PM

Default Famous T206

I have about 30 flights in on my Cessna T206 and I have to agree with all of the above. She is a very good natured plane. She even has only moderate off axis rotation on a roll when at full speed. Next to no roll out on a loop. All this without me changing a thing out of the box!

For a light plane it does handle well in a good breeze. You definitely want to land against the wind with this though.

What I love is the flight duration. I can fly the thing at 1/2 throttle most of the time with adequate power for some fun and easily get 10 minutes of flight!

I have since put a prop saver on and replaced a broken motor axle. I am now running an APC 10x5 prop (not a slow fly prop) and it works great.

One thing you should keep an eye on is the windows on the fuselage. I had one fall off in flight so now I have to glue in some slightly different colored plastic sheet. No big deal really, but if you can put a bit of epoxy on your windows you might prevent this from happening.

Now I have to wait for my foamy YAK and see how it compares!

Cheers!
Old 09-26-2008, 03:52 PM
Super Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to Angler-Hi

I had the same problem with mine. The windows would start coming loose. That's about the only issue I've ever had though.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:16 PM

Default woops, there goes the cowling

OK, another thing I should have done with this plane is tape the cowling on. Don't ask my why I didn't, I just didn't. I was doing some wild maneuvers and suddenly the cowling was spinning around with the prop! I got the plane down in a hurry and happy to see that only the nice foam ring that surrounds the motor had been eaten away.

Another thing that has plagued me is the elevator wing tips. I have since lost one of the "cantilevered" elevator ends. I think I will mod the elevator so that it goes straight across - thereby avoiding further damage. I think the damage is occurring because I am landing in tall grass on the plane's belly. Grass wraps the elevator and tears the ends off!?!? I'm guessing. My landings aren't awful, but the grass is about 18" high...

I'll patch it up and life will go on. The plane flies just as well, even with one elevator tip missing!
Old 01-27-2009, 06:48 PM
RC Flyer

I would like to know the wingspan of this plane, if anyone knows. The size & weight specs are missing from the "Specifications" section of the review.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:55 PM

Wingspan:1080mmm;
Length:980mm;
Height:300mm
Take off weight:610g

flies great, I would recommend it. It is fast compared to a beginner floater so not a beginners model. Will do all the stunts! Flies for a decent length of time on a charge 7-12 minutes depending on your throttle use obviously. The motor looks like the classic CD_ROM 2410 type brushless outrunner (800KV??) and it turns a big 10x4.7 slow fly prop.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:53 PM

Default Update

I added an 11.1 Thunder Power 3 cell LiPo battery and I'm amazed at the new capabilities. This bird takes off in a mind boggling 10-15 ft. and climbs straight up. I haven't tried to see how long it will climb in a near verticle climb but it goes for a while. Talk about power! No addverse affects to the system. I tried looking for a website where I could order another Huayu brushless motor for a warbird I'm building, but haven't found one. Anybody got any ideas? By the way, my brother and I are building a P-51B Mustang and a P-40E Warhawk respectively. To see these and our other great R/C planes search "operation warbirds" in threads.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Member Product Reviews > Aircraft Reviews

Tags
famoust206 , merlin , winsky

« Previous Review | Next Review »