Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
That's Gotta Hurt

Friends: (0)
Default 1909 Demoiselle

1909 DEMOISELLE – My Version & Thoughts

I love the challenge of building from scratch, including the challenge of coming up with plans.

I prefer Scratch because it gives Great Respect and Appreciation for the Original Creator of the Plane ... and Just as Important, it gives the plane a personal touch / creation that makes it "Your Own".

I cannot emphasize enough: DON’T get discouraged! An important tool to have is Patients. Let’s face it, with the work you’re putting into it, you want it to fly.

Kits
- With so many beautiful planes of different eras, you should start off with looking at as many different kits as possible, online hobby stores. You may find yourself attracted to a plane that you never thought of, or even a particular era. Kits are fantastic for learning! You may even stick with kits for the rest of your hobby.

A while ago I had purchased a 1910 Avro Triplane kit. I liked it so much I took the plans, altered them and up-scaled it to a 6’ wing span!

Plans – purchasing plans
I can’t say I have ever done this, so I can’t really comment on it. I can only assume that they are very detailed and are probably worth the $. Just don’t quote me on it, because I just don’t know. Anyone??

Free On-line Plans
– Google "Free RC Plans". Tons to choose from!

Meshing
(A term I came up with) – Incorporating several "plans" which are not detailed, so I have to come up with my own plans This is the most common type of plans I come up with. For me, it’s the most rewarding because it doesn’t limit my imagination or creativity.

"Meshing Method"
1909 Demoiselle by Santos-Dumont
Having viewed several pictures, tid-bits and no real plans for the Demoiselle, I was forced to come up with my own plans. I want to share with you the Good, the Bad and the Funny things that have occurred making this plane from scratch.

The 2 most noticeable changes in my version are the top fuselage boom and the tail.

Top Fuselage Boom
– it’s constructed with a hollow core, which contains the servo wires for a clean look. (x4 balsa strips glued to form a hollow box.)

Tail – Rather then making this a 1 piece, as in the original 1909 plane, I decided to make it 2 pieces. Having completed both Vertical and Horizontal sections, it was time to put them together….except they should have been intertwined prior to completion. I had to laugh at this predicament. I made a few cuts, added a couple balsa strips, altered my plan….and now you see the end result which is so much nicer then my original idea.

WINGS:
The Good: I was so proud I made the wings with such accuracy!
The Funny: They were both right sided!
The Bad: I had to start over

I had accidentally unscrewed the entire lid (not the cap, but the lid) of the glue and ended up pouring ¼ of the glue all over a wing, which had already been covered with PolySpan. As anyone would do, I took a deep breath of panic, sucking in all the fumes.

The Good: All my worldly problems went away…higher then a kite!
The Funny: I saw flowers and fairies dancing in my head…it was pretty.
The Bad: Wicked, wicked headache

WHEELS
The Good – The wheels turned out satisfactory
The Funny – It only took me 3 sets of wheels to determine which set I liked
The Bad - It took me 3 sets….. " " "

TAIL
Rather then making this a 1 piece, as in the original 1909 plane, I decided to make it 2 pieces. Having completed both Vertical and Horizontal sections, it was time to put them together….

The Funny - They should have been intertwined prior to completion. I had to laugh at this predicament. I altered my plan, made a few cuts, added a couple balsa strips, ….and now you see the end result which is so much nicer then my original idea.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3663.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	76674   Click image for larger version

Name:	3664.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	76675   Click image for larger version

Name:	3665.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	76676   Click image for larger version

Name:	3666.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	76677   Click image for larger version

Name:	3668.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	76678  

Name:	3674.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	76679  

Here's a wheel...hmmm...where'd the rest of it go?
Old 08-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
That's Gotta Hurt

CONSTRUCTION:

New chair and foot pedals.

Wheels - I loved the simplicity of them, however I needed to make them stronger.

I drilled a little hole in the axel and used a piece of scrap wire to keep the wheels from falling off. Take a look at how the wire was glued into position…it’s slightly turned outwards to prevent the pointy ends from destroying the wheels as they turn.

Pilot – The pilot should tell a story just by looking at him. I have a couple ideas that are killing me because I don’t know which one to use, but everyone will get a kick out of either one. It won’t take away from the plane because he will fit into that time era. You’ll get a kick out of it. My pilot is top secret for now.

Rear Tail: I still chuckle knowing what I had done prior to assembling both Vertical and Horizontal tails (see previous post). Once the tails were assembled to form one structure I had secured it to the boom. (Photo coming soon).<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3680.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	76680   Click image for larger version

Name:	3682.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	76681   Click image for larger version

Name:	3685.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	76682   Click image for larger version

Name:	3794.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	76683   Click image for larger version

Name:	3800.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	76684  

Name:	3803.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	76685   Click image for larger version

Name:	3804.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	76686   Click image for larger version

Name:	3805.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	76687   Click image for larger version

Name:	3807.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	76688  

Old 08-29-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
That's Gotta Hurt

Wheels:

I drilled a little hole in the axel and used a piece of scrap wire to keep the wheels from falling off.

Take a look at how the wire was glued into position…it’s slightly turned outwards to prevent the pointy ends from destroying the wheels as they turn.

The new chair and foot pegs have been attached!

When Planning a Trip of This Kind,
You Have Gotta be Prepared:

Map
Telescope
Lunch

You're probably going to hate me, but I thought I would give you a little peek at it so far....." sort-of a peek" I still have a couple adjustments to do.....but here it is in the shadows for now....

More Info on the Pilot
The pilot should tell a story just by looking at him. I have a couple ideas that are killing me because I don’t know which one to use, …..I’ve solved the problem! Stay tuned….

Before I reveal the completed Demoiselle, I need to start thinking about...

Suggestions Please
Now I have a different problem…not a problem but dilemma. Which fantastic plane should I be building next?

8’ Wing Span – 1909 Demoiselle
6’ Wing Span – 1910 Avro Triplane
6’ Wing Span – Fokker Spinne
6’ Wing Span – 1910 Eastbourne
6’ Wing Span - Farman III boxkite

Q: What other planes do you want me to consider?<!-- / message -->
<!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3808.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	76690   Click image for larger version

Name:	3809.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	76691   Click image for larger version

Name:	3812.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	76692   Click image for larger version

Name:	3813.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	76693   Click image for larger version

Name:	3814.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	76694  

Name:	3817.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	76695   Click image for larger version

Name:	3844.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	76696  

Old 08-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
TLyttle
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

Interesting stuff! As far as wheels are concerned, I use curtain rings for the tire/rim with holes drilled for the spokes, and music wire for the spokes. The hub is a couple of lengths of brass tube with the wires soldered to them. The rim end of the spoke is just glued into the holes. Even with the hardwood, they come out light, and realistic.

As far as pilots are concerned, I'll let the pic do the work...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	happy face 008.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	76698  

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft

Tags
1909 , demoiselle