Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Beginners - Helis
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-09-2008, 09:50 PM   #1
theecoop

View theecoop's Gallery28
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)
info Discussion thread-Heli Blades

I thought this would be a good place to get everyones views on the best blades for beginners

Will start with a few simple questions, What is better blade length for a T-rex450
The 315 or the 325 ?
which type wood ,composite,plastic. whats the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Hypothosis. We learn to fly: We fly to learn lol !!!!
BladeCX2,BladeCPPRO,Alien T-REX450SA
AMA 892789
Old 09-09-2008, 10:08 PM   #2
TDisaster
Don't worry, be happy.

Club: Flying Hawks R/C Club
Send a message via AIM to TDisaster
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (14)

I'd go for wood. Breaks in crashes and thus typically saves head parts. I'm using 325's on my Belt CP (t-rex copy) and it fly wonderfully. I'm using the ones from helidirect that have 3 pairs in a package.

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=5532

Old 09-09-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

View HeliG's Gallery5
Friends: (14)

I've always used the Align 325 Pro Wood blades but the option at HeliDirect looks good. Stick with wood because they will explode on impact rather than breaking a bunch of parts in the head.

" The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly. 'Tis dearness only that gives everything its value" - Thomas Paine
Old 09-09-2008, 11:12 PM   #4
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

View SkunkyMagoo's Gallery11
Send a message via AIM to SkunkyMagoo
Friends: (21)

The best performing blades on the market for beginners are the align pro wood. When you get past the hovering and general FF stage you will probably want something else, I know I noticed major flex when I started to fly hard. You do not want your blades to fold on you in a high g banked turn.

TX | JR x9303
RW's | Vibe Fitty - Blade mSR
FW's | 64mm EDF Mirage 2000 - 64mm EDF F-5E Swiss Tiger
Old 09-10-2008, 10:03 PM   #5
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

View MaxAdventure's Gallery2
Send a message via Yahoo to MaxAdventure
Awards Showcase

3kW  1kW  2kW 
Friends: (7)
Default 325 heli blades

Re-title this thread. I personally think a 325/450 class is a great beginner heli, but what about the coax, the fix pitch, the 425 that's getting a lot of attention now, the 550 that used to be the standard 'trainer' before the micro electric revolution, and all those starting at the very big bang-for-the-buck 600 size?!?! we start talking 550 and 600 blades and I say wood are great for testing, but even for learning you'll do better with a basic set of carbons. Mavrikk are a very good value.

as for the 325, I don't know I've heard anyone say different than the Align pro's.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:39 PM   #6
KrazyEighths
Happy Mutant

Club: I'm clubless...
Send a message via ICQ to KrazyEighths Send a message via AIM to KrazyEighths Send a message via Yahoo to KrazyEighths
Friends: (0)

I think wood is the only way to go for a novice. You could also try some 335 blades as they will slow things up a bit as well.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #7
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

325 blades but I advocate the GRP ones.

a) I have weighed 6 GRP blades on my lab scales and they are all similar with neglible difference.
b) Balancing has been easy and only needed a small strip of clear tape on one blade.
c) They shatter at holder end when strike, saving rotor holders / head.
d) Careful examination show good uniform section.
e) Weight is good compromise between CF and wood blades.
f) Price is very attractive, mine being chinese online buys at approx. $2 - $3 a pair. I've just ordered a 6 pair set + 6 pair tail matching for $20 + shipping.

I have not found my blades to be as some post saying problems with them.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 11-06-2010, 03:17 AM   #8
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

Friends: (2)

What is GRP?

It's easy to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by Ribcracker View Post
What is GRP?
Glass Reinforced Plastic .... commonly incorrectly called Glassfibre.

Material used to construct most modern Yachts, various covers for many household, motoring and camping items.
Usually consists of Glass Fibre strand matt or cloth impregnated with Polyester Resin or Laminating Epoxy Resin.

GRP blades are often light balsa core with laminated glassfibre / resin outer skin set in a mould to give uniform finish, top resin coat can be coloured to any design etc.
On Ebay and in many advertisements stated as GF blades and much cheaper than CF (Carbon Fibre).

Points to note : Carbon fibre is a marvelous material and its strength is legendary. But beware in that property is a serious flaw. It is only a mono-directional strength. That is why CF items can shatter easily when stressed not in design direction. GRP items on the other hand being mat or laid cloth, have multi-directional strength and able to withstand stress in most directions. It may not have the ultimate 'steel' strength of CF, but it will survive stresses that CF will not due to direction.
CF also has the property of blocking RF if placed between TX and RX .. a property of the carbon content. A CF frame can be an effective RF screen if not careful in placing RX antena etc. GRP does not screen RF apart from a very slight reduction as is usual with any solid material.

Just thought I'd mention ....

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 11-06-2010, 02:44 PM   #10
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

Friends: (2)

Thank you, solentlife. The acronym threw me. I've always just known these as fiber glass blades. And I've busted up enough of them to corroborate your description of their internal structure.
A lot of the Chinese GRP blades are warehoused here in the states so that we can have have quick access and great prices. One of my favorite sources is: http://www.xheli.com/fibl1.html
And thanks for the educational post. It's a great public service to us blade breakers.
Peace,
Bud

It's easy to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #11
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Ribcracker View Post
Thank you, solentlife. The acronym threw me. I've always just known these as fiber glass blades. And I've busted up enough of them to corroborate your description of their internal structure.
A lot of the Chinese GRP blades are warehoused here in the states so that we can have have quick access and great prices. One of my favorite sources is: http://www.xheli.com/fibl1.html
And thanks for the educational post. It's a great public service to us blade breakers.
Peace,
Bud
No prob .. even over here we talk casually of Fibreglass when we should really say GRP.
Just for the record - I may sound a bit school'ish in my posts sometimes but I know that often some who need a bit more depth to answer are reading, so not always trying to teach who I'm replying to what they already know ... if you see what I mean !

Living as I do in model starved Latvia - I have to order all my gear online - mostly from china ... I have to look at not only actual price - but also shipping costs. GRP blades are very cost effective for me.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #12
LowThudd

Friends: (0)

Excellent thread! I recently bought a used Storm 450 and 80% of my questions have now been answered. Thanks!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Beginners - Helis

Tags
blades , discussion , threadheli