Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Crash and Safety Forum
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Crash and Safety Forum Punch something in lately? Have safety suggestions? Tell the story, share safety tips, and show the pictures here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-21-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,112 Times in 2,022 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)
Default OK Who Crashed today ? Besides me :)

Ok ,Who crashed their Aircraft today, and what caused the Crash, FAA crash Investigation Not needed to Determine cause In under 100 words, better less than 10, Explain the best you Can the nature of the cause

Was it,

1. Pilot Error
2. Dumb Thumbs, not considered pilot Error
3. Mechanical failure
4. Looking at Cute Girl walking By
5. looking at Cute Guy walking By
6. looking at Cute Girl and Cute Guy walking By
7.UFO used particle Beam weapon and fried Receiver and lipo and caused other Damages
8. Builder Error
9. None of the Above

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 09-21-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

#7 ---Maybe #8 Crashed EDF, epoxy came loose at motor mount, particle beam weapon from UFO melted glue joint, that caused Crash. pictures at 10pm

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AAA 001_1.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	78814

Name:	AAA 002_1.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	78815

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 09-21-2008, 10:50 PM   #3
max2112
Super Contributor

View max2112's Gallery59
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (13)

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
#7 ---- Crashed EDF, epoxy came loose at motor mount, particle beam weapon from UFO melted glue joint, that caused Crash. pictures at 10pm
You gotta watch out for those #7's.

Sorry to hear that Chellie! Was the airframe salvagable?
You know we love hi-res pics of carnage around here.

When AnglerHi and I were flying this morning there was music coming from the hills. It was heavy machine gun fire! Some unit was running a .50 cal range today.

Please call me John. I came up w/ Max2112 when I thought you were all internet predators after me Lucky Charms!!
Old 09-21-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
vax6335
Crazy 'bout Bees

View vax6335's Gallery12
Club: Fort Wayne Flying Circuits
Send a message via AIM to vax6335 Send a message via MSN to vax6335 Send a message via Yahoo to vax6335
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (0)

This didn't happen today, but I'll tell the story because I just dug the plane out of the closet last night.

E-flite Yak 54. The thin white Quique kind. The first time I flew it, I was impatient and tried flying it in a school yard under a lamp in the middle of the night. There wasn't enough light, I lost sight and broke it in half. So that would be number 1- Pilot Error.

The second time, after I rebuilt it, I threw it in the air (daytime this time) and asked myself, "why isn't aileron response on this thing that great?"
Suddenly it went into a spin, and broke up pretty good this time. Post crash investigation found that I overlooked one important thing. I forgot to put the aileron servo arm screws in. As soon as I had moved the ailerons, the servo arms popped off. That's why the ailerons acted lazy and finally spun in. So that would be a #1 and #3 :o

Old 09-21-2008, 11:25 PM   #5
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by vax6335 View Post
This didn't happen today, but I'll tell the story because I just dug the plane out of the closet last night.

E-flite Yak 54. The thin white Quique kind. The first time I flew it, I was impatient and tried flying it in a school yard under a lamp in the middle of the night. There wasn't enough light, I lost sight and broke it in half. So that would be number 1- Pilot Error.

The second time, after I rebuilt it, I threw it in the air (daytime this time) and asked myself, "why isn't aileron response on this thing that great?"
Suddenly it went into a spin, and broke up pretty good this time. Post crash investigation found that I overlooked one important thing. I forgot to put the aileron servo arm screws in. As soon as I had moved the ailerons, the servo arms popped off. That's why the ailerons acted lazy and finally spun in. So that would be a #1 and #3 :o
I have done that too Now i check over a build or repair very very close

Old 09-21-2008, 11:26 PM   #6
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by max2112 View Post

When AnglerHi and I were flying this morning there was music coming from the hills. It was heavy machine gun fire! Some unit was running a .50 cal range today.
the wing is good shape, just need to make a new, redesigned profile fuselage

Old 09-22-2008, 12:23 AM   #7
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

Dang near done the SS in yesterday when I got low and close to the tree line I planed to just Half loop and fly her out inverted and climb-out but got a tad to far over and thought I'd finish the loop, half-loop again and go on but she did'nt quite make it over and went in WOT!! Oh-Well,,, she's all fixed now except a prop I made out good,, your bub, steve

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	petty an red 695.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	78776

Monkey Minion'air
Old 09-22-2008, 01:00 AM   #8
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

View groundrushesup's Gallery45
Club: Hill Country Wattheads
Send a message via AIM to groundrushesup
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (20)

#3 Mechanical Failure. Lost my fav chuck conversion yesterday lockout 2 minutes into the flight bad video to follow. Figured out it was prob with DX7 antenna (I hope) or else I will be posting here again soon lol

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Everybody's Somebody at The Hill Country Watthead's Thread!
Stop in and see what we're up to!

Visit Our Youtube Channel, too!
Old 09-22-2008, 02:21 AM   #9
1320fastback

Club: Fallbrook R/C Flyers and Oceanside Quiet Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  AV Contest 
Friends: (2)

Last week was #3. Ground wire pulled out of EC3 connector in mid flight.
Wait does dumb thumbs cover soldering also

Today though was absoluty perfect, found a new place to fly way closer to my home and had no issues.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:46 AM   #10
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by stevecooper View Post
Dang near done the SS in yesterday when I got low and close to the tree line I planed to just Half loop and fly her out inverted and climb-out but got a tad to far over and thought I'd finish the loop, half-loop again and go on but she did'nt quite make it over and went in WOT!! Oh-Well,,, she's all fixed now except a prop I made out good,, your bub, steve
Hi Steve Glad the crash was not to bad, and its all better Now

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
#3 Mechanical Failure. Lost my fav chuck conversion yesterday lockout 2 minutes into the flight bad video to follow. Figured out it was prob with DX7 antenna (I hope) or else I will be posting here again soon lol

Bummer, sorry to hear That, I know, What ever can go wrong, will go wrong

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Originally Posted by 1320fastback View Post
Last week was #3. Ground wire pulled out of EC3 connector in mid flight.
Wait does dumb thumbs cover soldering also

Yes Dumb Thumbs covers that, and a whole lot of other things too

Today though was absoluty perfect, found a new place to fly way closer to my home and had no issues.
Thats great to hear, I always go out flying, Expecting to Crash, and when I dont Crash, Thats Just frosting on the Cake And thats why I always take out more than 1 Plane

Old 09-22-2008, 09:51 AM   #11
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by max2112 View Post

I am just going to make another one, they are easy to make being a profile plane, I want to make the nose a little longer this time, to aid in getting the CG, and make the bottom of the fuselage a little wider at the bottom, to accept a larger lipo, and i will better secure the EDF this time it came loose, Ray, a member of our club, saw the rudder shaking in flight, So we all think the glue or foam broke loose holding the EDF on, Take care, Chellie

Thats Cool, I love to shoot my 50 caliper muzzel loader cap and ball, with black power, me and my boys have been into almost everything, from rc, to guns, fishing, hunting, you name it they are all grown up now, so its me, Having all the fun with my Rc Planes and helis Take care, Chellie

Old 09-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #12
darylm44

Club: Frontier Fun Flyers

I did a runway modification to my Mini Ultra Stick yesterday. Converted it to retractable landing gear.

We had a fair amount of wind and swirling gust on the runway. Thought I was coming in perfect when a gust cough it and drove it into the ground from about 3 feet. Wish I had left the nylon bolts in the gear as it took out the bottom of the plane. Nice clean break so it will fix fine.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #13
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Club: C.D.P.A.

Poor Newjak had a BAD weekend. I've been waiting for him to chime in.... the shame I guess. 2 - 4s Lipos killed (about a month old), 1 SAPAC F22, and a blown motor in his F16.

I feel for him.

Side note - Chellie, check the "Stryker how far can I take it" thread. Autorail1 was asking about 4s on the motor that I believe that you have. If I remember correctly, you're running 4s.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:46 PM   #14
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

View Fly Time's Gallery17
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

I was maidening my new Yak 55 flat foamie yesterday ($12 Hobby Lobby crash sale special) when the motor came off the mount as I was accelerating out of a hover The plane came fluttering down with the motor and ESC hanging from the battery. Thankfully all the wires and plugs kept all the parts together and the plane made a gentle semi-controlled landing in the grass. The prop punched a hole in one of the wings, but otherwise no damage.

The Yak is powered by a little TowerPro bell motor which attaches to the firewall mount with two grub screws. For some reason it didn't occur to me to use thread lock on the screws

Chellie: I think you need to add "builder error" to your list

Doug
Loves the sound of 50 amps through an outrunner!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #15
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

Club: Central Delaware Parkflyers Association
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (13)

Originally Posted by idealhobbies View Post
Poor Newjak had a BAD weekend. I've been waiting for him to chime in.... the shame I guess. 2 - 4s Lipos killed (about a month old), 1 SAPAC F22, and a blown motor in his F16.

I feel for him.

Side note - Chellie, check the "Stryker how far can I take it" thread. Autorail1 was asking about 4s on the motor that I believe that you have. If I remember correctly, you're running 4s.
Well, I WAS prepared to suffer in solitude. I guess misery loves company! I just placed an order to replace the lipos and motor. I will tackle the F-22 tomorow

A.M.A Park Pilot Partner / Wattflyer Mentor
Old 09-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #16
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by idealhobbies View Post

I feel for him.

Ok, I will go over and see if I can help, Thank You, Chellie

Old 09-22-2008, 08:17 PM   #17
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by newjak View Post
Well, I WAS prepared to suffer in solitude. I guess misery loves company! I just placed an order to replace the lipos and motor. I will tackle the F-22 tomorow
LOL Its better if we all Suffer Together Take care, Chellie

Old 09-22-2008, 08:18 PM   #18
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Fly Time View Post
I was maidening my new Yak 55 flat foamie yesterday ($12 Hobby Lobby crash sale special) when the motor came off the mount as I was accelerating out of a hover The plane came fluttering down with the motor and ESC hanging from the battery. Thankfully all the wires and plugs kept all the parts together and the plane made a gentle semi-controlled landing in the grass. The prop punched a hole in one of the wings, but otherwise no damage.

The Yak is powered by a little TowerPro bell motor which attaches to the firewall mount with two grub screws. For some reason it didn't occur to me to use thread lock on the screws

Chellie: I think you need to add "builder error" to your list
I think Your Right Fire that Builder Take Care, Chellie

Old 09-22-2008, 08:20 PM   #19
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by darylm44 View Post
I did a runway modification to my Mini Ultra Stick yesterday. Converted it to retractable landing gear.

We had a fair amount of wind and swirling gust on the runway. Thought I was coming in perfect when a gust cough it and drove it into the ground from about 3 feet. Wish I had left the nylon bolts in the gear as it took out the bottom of the plane. Nice clean break so it will fix fine.
At Least you got a Clean Break I cant seem to get any kind of a Break Chellie

Old 09-23-2008, 01:59 AM   #20
diverdon

Friends: (4)

Thanks sooooo much for posting that crash it makes me feel tons better .. To know that even YOU can have problems is great .. Don't get me wrong I am sorry you had the crash and destruction you did but ....

So how have you been otherwise ?? Have you seen the new plane Dave Powers is doing with all of the servos and gyros ?? He has Elevons and so many other things GYROS? on this plane talk about having equipment problems ..

Did you get the foam sample I sent you .. I want a plane .. Super cub or easy star made out of this . Have to use some carbon F. but there is no more Breakage or crumbling foam ... I'm thinking of a Magpie type fuselage style ..IF .. I can find where to purchase this foam ..

Well cheer up pretty girls like you are'nt allowed to be down .. Just think you could be me .. 1 successful flight ..I should be embarassed to even admit that but I will "Get it" someday .. You stay out of trouble and THANKS again for all of the help you've given me , Don J.

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Ok ,Who crashed there Aircraft today, and what caused the Crash, FAA crash Investigation Not needed to Determine cause In under 100 words, better less than 10, Explain the best you Can the nature of the cause

Was it,

1. Pilot Error
2. Dumb Thumbs, not considered pilot Error
3. Mechanical failure
4. Looking at Cute Girl walking By
5. looking at Cute Guy walking By
6. looking at Cute Girl and Cute Guy walking By
7.UFO used particle Beam weapon and fried Receiver and lipo and caused other Damages
8. Builder Error
9. None of the Above
Old 09-23-2008, 06:07 AM   #21
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Hi Don yes I got the foam you sent me, interesting stuff huh, I find it also in packaging, an Idea, you might go to a shipping store that packages stuff for you, to be sent in the mail, they might have some supplys like this foam, just an Idea Oh I crash from time to time, if you fly rc, you are going to crash, thats all there is to it, but its nice when you dont crash I go out flying, Expecting to crash, and when i dont crash, thats just frosting on the cake take care, Chellie

Old 09-25-2008, 05:19 AM   #22
tommytorino
tommydsblog.blogspot.com

Club: SEFLI

Ill take #9. Midair at NEAT 2008 night balloon attack! 23 planes attacking one helium balloon at night.

Was it worth writing off my nite flyer, you betcha!!!

Tommy D

Old 10-08-2008, 06:29 AM   #23
Monkeyboy

View Monkeyboy's Gallery7

I had to make a rough unitended landing with the Super cub today.

found a new place to fly only 1/4 mile from my house.
2nd week flying. still working on the landing

first flight went fine only nosed on landing.

second round not so well. shortly after take off the controls felt funny.
Wouldn't hold in turns didn't fly straight and would flutter up and down.
decided to bring it in for inspect.
I barely have control of the plane as I am new
This was like I was drunk flying in 40 mph winds.
touched down then did a cartwheel. snapped tail off.

looks like the servos came loose after my rough landing or bad factory glue job.
All fixed now.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:01 PM   #24
j33p3r

Well mine wasnt today, infact it will be back flying today.
SAPAC t34 mentor RTF.
finally got CG right and it flew great (the brushless one) for some reason when I would back completely off and re-accelerate, the motor would not restart and it would land, HARD.
check connections, checked response. Did another range check. all ok.
Put it back up and was flying for ages, 6 minutes or so. then it lost power for about a second and came good again. Time to land it to check again. Landed about 100 yards away so I was walking over when I could see the smoke.

SO tell me does it count as a crash when you bring it in and it catches fire?
It seems that I lost the ESC and the motor in whatever the mishap/ connection failure was. I have emailed Raidentech and have not heard back from their returns dept.
It also burnt some foam and turned the motor mount into a dripping mess.
It should be back in the air tonight with a bigger better power system. This is my first plane too. 2 weeks old and it looks more like a demolition derby plane with the fron tend I had to fabricate!
Old 10-08-2008, 08:14 PM   #25
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

View Fly Time's Gallery17
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by j33p3r View Post
...I have emailed Raidentech and have not heard back from their returns dept.
Let us know how that goes. Raidentech doesn't have the best rep for customer service.

BTW, that is quite a plane to have as your first! Consider yourself lucky that it still flies at all after 2 weeks . That is not knocking the plane. Most noobs would have turned a EDF foamie into packing peanuts in that amount of time, so you must be a fast learner.

Doug
Loves the sound of 50 amps through an outrunner!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Crash and Safety Forum

Tags
crashed , today