Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Crash and Safety Forum
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Crash and Safety Forum Punch something in lately? Have safety suggestions? Tell the story, share safety tips, and show the pictures here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-08-2009, 03:31 AM   #101
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Chellie sounds like ya made one heck of a save! Bummer about forgetting the t-pin could of been worse remember that giant bomber that used to fly at shows they forgot to put in a bolt that held the wing halves together.
Hi Gramps Gee i felt so Dumb, but i saved her, good thing is that if you crash a RC Plane, you can walk away from it Take care, Chellie

Originally Posted by Sabrehawk View Post
Ya did alright sweety, yeppers ya sure did!

Much certainly better than one of my buds crashed hi $3,000 Yak today, broke it clean in half, and another who crashed his Seagull Decathlon.
A few weeks ago I had my Art Tech Decathlon go in, everything just went dead up there........nobody home. Bout 100ft up, just after leveling out from an Immelman. Plane wasnt in any trouble flying wise at that momment but it just started settling into a glide and so I and gave her some throttle and no response, brought the throttle to zip thinking it must have hit LVC.
But no flight controls either, no response when I fed a tad aileron to correct the left bank it was developing. And nothing else either.
After that nothing to do but let go and watch, bumped the ailerons a couple times in case it came back on, but down she went in a sprial for three turns and then smack. the typical wingtip/nose hit that happens and yup she's done.

So, im retiring this one, and already had a new love in sight.
My new Decathlon, a larger one and a balsa ARF instead of a foamie.
It's from Hobby King, and was a great bargain and a sweetly done ARF.
Working on her now, she'll be ready to Freddie in a few days to a week.

Still Chellie, ya did fine Gonna start callin you Pancho..............
Sorry to hear about your plane going in Too, Oh well its all part of the Hobby, make mistakes and learn from them, and sometimes, there is just nothing we can do. Take care, Chellie

Originally Posted by stevecooper View Post
ALpea42 was there as well?? the plot thick'in's!!Ha!Haa!
Glad you wonderfull Plane made it and will fly once more, I feel sorta close to that plane watch'in you build her,I got the foam to do a biggie and Hope it looks half as good as your's,,bubsteve
Yes, We were at the Western States Electric Fun Fly, I flew my Katana profile and my Maverick Cap there too, AL and his son James were there, and james made out like a bandid with free stuff Take care, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 06-08-2009, 03:42 AM   #102
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Well about a month ago I was flying my mini telemaster it was a little windy, but not to bad. As I was flying wind started picking up, but it was still manageable after about 12 min. brought her down. My gut was telling me to pack it up, but that dumb guy on my shoulder convinced me to put her up again (mental note ignore the dumb guy). Got her up at first it wasn't to bad then all hell broke loose. wind took her so fast that diving couldn't get her back to me. Went clear across the field right into a stand of tree's. To late to get her down. Next day my son and I went back with a ladder and my pool vac pole and the skimmer pole. We spent 2 hrs poking it got it to drop down went into the tree next to it. Started to rain at this point my arm is dead from the pole and holding the ladder, sent my son up and told him to whack it down,at this point I just want the electronics back. the plane was not repairable.
Bummer Gramps, Yes, I have done the same thing, gone up to fly and should have not, I have learned to listen to my gut feeling most of the time Take care, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 06-08-2009, 04:49 AM   #103
Gimpster

Friends: (2)

Don't feel bad Chellie, I crashed all three of my planes in the span of three weeks. One is toast, two are repairable, but I will likely only fix one of them. In either case I might be calling this flight season a loss, with no funds to pick up a new bird any time soon.

Made it through my first season without a serious incident and then crashed my entire hanger in the first month of my second. Go figure. Bounce back and keep 'em out of the dirt.

Keep it out of the dirt.
Gimpster
Puget Sound Silent Flyers
Old 06-08-2009, 05:23 AM   #104
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Gimpster View Post
Don't feel bad Chellie, I crashed all three of my planes in the span of three weeks. One is toast, two are repairable, but I will likely only fix one of them. In either case I might be calling this flight season a loss, with no funds to pick up a new bird any time soon.

Made it through my first season without a serious incident and then crashed my entire hanger in the first month of my second. Go figure. Bounce back and keep 'em out of the dirt.
Bummer, Sorry to hear about that, Most of my planes are scratch built, from 6 or 9mm depron, if i crash them, its no big loss, i have boxes of depron to make some more I do have a few ARF planes, but i have more fun with my Scratch built planes, here are a few of my scratch built planes to give you an idea of my fleet Take care and have fun, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39692

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...124#post265124

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...417#post502417

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16392

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39733

http://www.rcfoam.com/cart.php?targe...category_id=67

i like using square CF tubing, much more stronger

http://www.rcfoam.com/cart.php?targe...ategory_id=122

Old 06-08-2009, 06:10 AM   #105
MadMonkey
OOGA BOOGA

Club: 114th RC Aerosquadron
Send a message via AIM to MadMonkey Send a message via MSN to MadMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to MadMonkey
Friends: (1)

Well, today I knocked the gear out of my Hyperion Yak shortly after clipping Ben Fischer's Edge at the 3D Hobby Shop fun fly at my field.. Unrelated incidents though. 5 of us were flying full contact combat and I think all of us ended up crashing, LOL.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:38 AM   #106
1320fastback

Club: Fallbrook R/C Flyers and Oceanside Quiet Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  AV Contest 

Crashed my new EZ* today, am going to have to say it was #1 that was the main cause. Was at the beach sloping and for some reason tried to do a ROC (Rise off Cliff) instead of a HL and the wing caught some ice plant.

Anyway without further adieu:

Classic Sig Kadet/ OK Models SupraFly45/ Eflite SU=26M/ Ritewing TL50/ FPV Twin star/ Pheonix Strega .45/ Nitroplanes Bobcat .75 / Cox .049 Pilot Baby/ AMA#1,000,000
Old 06-08-2009, 07:34 AM   #107
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
Well, today I knocked the gear out of my Hyperion Yak shortly after clipping Ben Fischer's Edge at the 3D Hobby Shop fun fly at my field.. Unrelated incidents though. 5 of us were flying full contact combat and I think all of us ended up crashing, LOL.
Hi Mad Monkey You were trying to crash , I was not

Old 06-08-2009, 07:37 AM   #108
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by 1320fastback View Post
Crashed my new EZ* today, am going to have to say it was #1 that was the main cause. Was at the beach sloping and for some reason tried to do a ROC (Rise off Cliff) instead of a HL and the wing caught some ice plant.

Anyway without further adieu:
Bummer, hope it did not get hurt to bad, take care, Chellie

Old 06-08-2009, 09:11 AM   #109
MadMonkey
OOGA BOOGA

Club: 114th RC Aerosquadron
Send a message via AIM to MadMonkey Send a message via MSN to MadMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to MadMonkey
Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Mad Monkey You were trying to crash , I was not

Actually I wasn't.. I clipped Ben, then kept flying even though I had a hole in the wing and a loose servo!

Then I went after another guy, but he dodged me (from about 3' up) and plastered his Fliton Edge. I tried to punch out, but if you've ever flown a Hyperion Yak-55 10e, you know the low speed flying SUCKS! I hit pretty hard.

It's okay otherwise though
Old 06-08-2009, 09:41 AM   #110
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

View Alpea42's Gallery59
Friends: (25)

Al(pea) checkin in here. Chellie deserves a metal for hangin with her Giant Bipe for those 150 seconds. The weird part was 3-400 spectators all moaning and groaning as she was loosing it and saving it about 12 times. The club camera man got the whole flight on video. So we gotta watch for that posting. You know how a nightmare happens in slow motion, well this was kinda like that only for real and in daylight. But out of the whole 3 day event and the 20 or so crashes I wittnessed or saw the aftermath of, hers was the greatest. It went on and on. A pilot next to us actually called out, "DO YOU NEED HELP" ... You had to be there I guess but I am laughing as I tell this part of the story.

THE B-2 Worlds most expensive airplane.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #111
darylm44

Club: Frontier Fun Flyers

Chellie,

Sorry for your crash, we all do those kind of stupid things. It gets worse as you get older. Give it a few days and put it back together.

We are having an unusually good summer up here in Alaska. Lots of Sunny days highs in the upper 60's we even hit 70 yesterday. We are having 24 hrs of visible light with 19 hrs between sunrise and sunset. You can work yourself to death in conditions like these.

I have the yard straitened out, the garden almost completely planted, and my float-plane within 3 hrs of being ready to fly. Last week we took a trip "around the block" with my brother and his wife in our motor homes. This is leaving Wasilla and driving to Fairbanks then to Delta and down to Glenallen and back to Wasilla, just under 1000 miles. There is only one road that bisects this route, the Denali Hyway, and it is gravel and very rough. Most Motor Home and car rental places don't allow their vehicles to go on it.

The headwaters of the Delta River still had ice fields 4 - 8 ft thick and Summit Lake was still frozen solid. We had a cold winter with a heavy snow pack.

Still waiting for Fall to start the Boeing 247.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:51 AM   #112
1320fastback

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  AV Contest 

Only minor damage on the EZ, scrunched the nose a little and a few little dings in the wings. Also got some dirt in the mechanics of the camera lens.

Classic Sig Kadet/ OK Models SupraFly45/ Eflite SU=26M/ Ritewing TL50/ FPV Twin star/ Pheonix Strega .45/ Nitroplanes Bobcat .75 / Cox .049 Pilot Baby/ AMA#1,000,000
Old 06-09-2009, 02:40 AM   #113
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

View Alpea42's Gallery59
Friends: (25)

Musta been a bad couple of weeks for R/c or Chellie fessing up to dumbness brings out humility in everyone. Cuz after her post there's 7 more crashes listed. Ohhh I know, you're all trying to make her feel better. Well heres the video from the thread below this one and this is how the pros burn up several thousand dollars.http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...6#vid-094d3dc2 Hey if they can do it so can we. The funny thing is the JR team was performing at a mostly nitro field where some members look down on Electrics as being below their level. LOOKS LIKE THE BAD JU JU was too much.

THE B-2 Worlds most expensive airplane.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:16 AM   #114
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Alpea42 View Post
Musta been a bad couple of weeks for R/c or Chellie fessing up to dumbness brings out humility in everyone. Cuz after her post there's 7 more crashes listed. Ohhh I know, you're all trying to make her feel better. Well heres the video from the thread below this one and this is how the pros burn up several thousand dollars.http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...6#vid-094d3dc2 Hey if they can do it so can we. The funny thing is the JR team was performing at a mostly nitro field where some members look down on Electrics as being below their level. LOOKS LIKE THE BAD JU JU was too much.
Hi AL, Hey, if you fly RC, you are going to crash, sooner or later, there is just no getting away from it it keep you good at building more planes to crash Thats the way i see it Take care everyone, Chellie

Old 06-09-2009, 04:05 AM   #115
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Only minor damage on the EZ, scrunched the nose a little and a few little dings in the wings. Also got some dirt in the mechanics of the camera lens.
Bummer, hope your camera can be cleaned out, sounds like your plane will fly again thats good, Take care, Chellie

Old 06-27-2009, 07:37 PM   #116
1320fastback

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  AV Contest 

Ooo Ooo Pick me, I crashed today.

Dang #1 got me again but this time it was with my Ultrafly FW190. This is my first ever balsa plane crash and probably did the least amount of damage possible.

I hit a fire hydrant on landing and was only about 3" above the ground, dont know why I didn't go around as I usually like to be centered on the street and not next to the curbs.

Anyway the wing separated from the fuselage and took the wing mount with it, little bit of glue and covering work and she'll be good as used.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:28 PM   #117
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Ooo Ooo Pick me, I crashed today.

Dang #1 got me again but this time it was with my Ultrafly FW190. This is my first ever balsa plane crash and probably did the least amount of damage possible.

I hit a fire hydrant on landing and was only about 3" above the ground, dont know why I didn't go around as I usually like to be centered on the street and not next to the curbs.

Anyway the wing separated from the fuselage and took the wing mount with it, little bit of glue and covering work and she'll be good as used.
Bummer I Hate that when that happens Maybe your plane just needed to take a leak Get her fixed and back up in the air Take care, Chellie

Old 06-27-2009, 09:45 PM   #118
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (7)
Default Wing bolts

Crashed a new Hyperion Extra 260 "40e" earlier in the week. Forgot a wing bolt, fast roll @300 feet, you know the rest....
Lesson learned, KEEP THE WING BOLT IN YOUR HAND OR IN THE WING.
Put the bolt back into the wing after you remove it. this way you won't loose it. NEVER SET IT DOWN. Keep it screwed in whether the wing is on or off the plane. Hope this helps someone.:o

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant

-Rob
Old 06-27-2009, 10:08 PM   #119
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
Crashed a new Hyperion Extra 260 "40e" earlier in the week. Forgot a wing bolt, fast roll @300 feet, you know the rest....
Lesson learned, KEEP THE WING BOLT IN YOUR HAND OR IN THE WING.
Put the bolt back into the wing after you remove it. this way you won't loose it. NEVER SET IT DOWN. Keep it screwed in whether the wing is on or off the plane. Hope this helps someone.:o
Bummer, Sorry to hear about that, we all make mistakes from time to time, Ok Quick, Get another plane, and get back up in the air Take care, Chellie

Old 06-27-2009, 10:13 PM   #120
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

Didn't crash today but...

We had been having a great day for our SPA contest and then open flying afterwards. We even went to grab some lunch and come back for round 2. Had gotten several flights on the Shoestring and the Telemaster and was beginning to pack up for the day as winds had begun to pick up pretty good.

I set my Telemaster wing on top of my bed cover on the truck to start getting everything in it. Great big wind gust comes along and takes it right off and into the side of my buddy's truck breaking it clean in two...

Oh well... I wanted to do some tweaking on that plane anyway so now is my chance.

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 06-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #121
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Didn't crash today but...

We had been having a great day for our SPA contest and then open flying afterwards. We even went to grab some lunch and come back for round 2. Had gotten several flights on the Shoestring and the Telemaster and was beginning to pack up for the day as winds had begun to pick up pretty good.

I set my Telemaster wing on top of my bed cover on the truck to start getting everything in it. Great big wind gust comes along and takes it right off and into the side of my buddy's truck breaking it clean in two...

Oh well... I wanted to do some tweaking on that plane anyway so now is my chance.
Bummer Bill, Oh Well, Now is your chance to make it better than before Take care, Chellie

Old 06-27-2009, 10:20 PM   #122
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Bummer Bill, Oh Well, Now is your chance to make it better than before Take care, Chellie
Yup, gonna recover in yellow and red to match the Waco and the shoestring!

Old 06-27-2009, 10:34 PM   #123
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Bill I always said the tele is like a kite next time tie it down with string.
You got of easy, mine is no more had to break it apart to get it down from a tree. Saved the electronics though.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:45 PM   #124
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

No doubt Gramps. I just wasn't thinking when I set it on top of the truck bed...

One of those "DOH" moments.:o

Old 06-28-2009, 12:16 AM   #125
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (7)

Bummer, Sorry to hear about that, we all make mistakes from time to time, Ok Quick, Get another plane, and get back up in the air Take care, Chellie
You know it!
Ordered me a new one before I even assessed the damage at home.
Now I have one ugly one (didn't rip any covering but bashed the nose pretty good, needs a smidgeon of up thrust now, still flies nice!) and a shiny new one will be here monday! Good sale @ Allerc.com $124 shipped!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant

-Rob

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Crash and Safety Forum

Tags
crashed , today