Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Crash and Safety Forum
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Crash and Safety Forum Punch something in lately? Have safety suggestions? Tell the story, share safety tips, and show the pictures here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-28-2009, 12:31 AM   #126
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,109 Times in 2,019 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (305)

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
You know it!
Ordered me a new one before I even assessed the damage at home.
Now I have one ugly one (didn't rip any covering but bashed the nose pretty good, needs a smidgeon of up thrust now, still flies nice!) and a shiny new one will be here monday! Good sale @ Allerc.com $124 shipped!
Kewl Keep the Addiction Going take care, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 06-28-2009, 02:53 AM   #127
1320fastback

Club: Fallbrook R/C Flyers and Oceanside Quiet Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  AV Contest 
Friends: (2)

This is a great thread because its nice to know that bad things happen to others...not that I wish others to have problems. You know what i mean

Classic Sig Kadet/ OK Models SupraFly45/ Eflite SU=26M/ Ritewing TL50/ FPV Twin star/ Pheonix Strega .45/ Nitroplanes Bobcat .75 / Cox .049 Pilot Baby/ AMA#1,000,000
Old 06-28-2009, 04:07 AM   #128
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by 1320fastback View Post
This is a great thread because its nice to know that bad things happen to others...not that I wish others to have problems. You know what i mean
Yes, You are not Alone

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 06-28-2009, 04:11 AM   #129
anthony7820

Originally Posted by vax6335 View Post
This didn't happen today, but I'll tell the story because I just dug the plane out of the closet last night.

E-flite Yak 54. The thin white Quique kind. The first time I flew it, I was impatient and tried flying it in a school yard under a lamp in the middle of the night. There wasn't enough light, I lost sight and broke it in half. So that would be number 1- Pilot Error.

The second time, after I rebuilt it, I threw it in the air (daytime this time) and asked myself, "why isn't aileron response on this thing that great?"
Suddenly it went into a spin, and broke up pretty good this time. Post crash investigation found that I overlooked one important thing. I forgot to put the aileron servo arm screws in. As soon as I had moved the ailerons, the servo arms popped off. That's why the ailerons acted lazy and finally spun in. So that would be a #1 and #3 :o
im pretty sure thats 1, 2, and 3
Old 06-28-2009, 01:46 PM   #130
electrictomato
Singapore is NOT in China

Friends: (0)

well i wanted to do a knife edge on my plane(for the first time on this plane), however, i did not buffer enough height, as i was confident it would perform as per the other models. which resulted in a crash and a 2 piece wing

guess that's waht they mean by getting 2 for the price of 1 =oD
Old 06-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #131
Scruffy

View Scruffy's Gallery1

(raises hand) I crashed today.
I went to the field nice and early. After 3 months or so I still can't shake the pre-flight jitters. I get to the field and notice no difference in my vision with or without my sun glasses which are perscription. Bad sign. I took a little time to adjust to the field, wind, trees etc. Off we go. Plane gets real small real quick so small I have to base my inputs on the previous one. On its way back over the field (finally) it goes haywire #'s 1,2,3 and 7 a tree that i had been aware of but didn't think Id be anywere near jumps out. Now I keep my site fixed on that tree nothing else as I walk over to it, don't wanna get trees mixed up. Start to look for the plane I know it hit THIS tree. nothing so I go to the next tree nothing, back to the original tree nope. I turned around and see it 40 ft. from the tree sitting there like it landed. Very little damage. Well its been about 3 months flying this little plane and it looks like a jigsaw puzzle guess its time to cut a new one. I can't belive it lasted this long. I'll have to save a piece of foam from it and tac it to the next one for luck
Old 06-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #132
baz49exe
Super Contributor

View baz49exe's Gallery15
Club: East Devon Radio Control Club
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (15)

How's this for dumb? Before I installed the aileron servo in my latest GWS the P-51, I checked it it for direction of throw as my basic TX does not have memory so you practically need to dismantle it to throw the reversing switches. Up to the field, range check, throw direction check and a first time hand launch by my pal so I can keep all fingers on the sticks. Six fantastic snap rolls followed by a landing in the gorse. "Fantastic launch ", said my mate "you nearly got away with the aerobatics!" As I had up propped to avoid vibration on the large spinner I figured it torque rolled. Hence a little aileron correction before lauinch and away we go. for a second try. Another even faster torque roll sequence follow by urgent up elevator a touch and go and a rolling glide into the bushes.
Now unlike my TX I suddenly developed a memory and checked the throw direction of the ailerons again. They were REVERSED!!!!. Now beginning to doubt my sanity as I checked so many times and I have never made that mistake before. She flys beautifully with the controls set up properly by the way.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:51 PM   #133
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Hi Everyone i crashed it CAUSE #8 ,This was one of my very first E Builds, and its been sitting in my hobby room for 2 1/2 years gathering dust, i knew it was a little on the heavy side, but i said, What The Heck, lets see if it will fly, As There are no Wall Flowers in my Fleet, My Planes Must Earn their keeps or its Off to the round file with them so i knew it was going to be 50/50 with this plane, if it was going to fly or not, so its to the round file with it now i have more room for other planes see, i am not afraid to show my successes along with my Failures take care, Chellie

Attached Thumbnails broke the nose off Thats ok, it was to heavy to fly anyway, this was one of my early learning tools,

Old 06-29-2009, 12:58 AM   #134
dmmalish
r/c crash test "DUMMY"

View dmmalish's Gallery14
Club: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=221090112030
Send a message via AIM to dmmalish
Friends: (6)
Default crashed my 300 extra

well like they say " it's not a matter of IF it is a matter of when " and yesterday was when I cart wheeled the 300 on take off because i was not standing where i should have been and got a little dissoriented but being a glow to electric conversion the only real damage was to the motor mount and my EGO but it should be back in the air in no time no after photos here is the plane i am refering to.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	300 extra 2 002.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	104314

Old 06-29-2009, 01:37 AM   #135
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Sorry to hear about that dmmalish, yes its just a matter of when sometimes they last a long time, and sometimes they dont Take care and have fun, Chellie

Old 06-29-2009, 01:57 AM   #136
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Ouch chellie that was a nice looking plane sorry the maiden went earthy. Did that myself 2 times in a row with a cessna skyartec 182 tonight, except my went left then second time right. Second time broke the cheap plastic motor mount.
Also got to ring a light pole tonight to. Makes a nice dull gong sound, first time doing this. I was practicing touch and goes with a SC having a good time third battery was doing some more practice when I did a touch and stall with the pole. It did no damage but a dent in the wing spun it around a couple of times. Started laughing cause I've read about the light pole crashes here, now it was my turn.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:04 AM   #137
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Ouch chellie that was a nice looking plane sorry the maiden went earthy. Did that myself 2 times in a row with a cessna skyartec 182 tonight, except my went left then second time right. Second time broke the cheap plastic motor mount.
Also got to ring a light pole tonight to. Makes a nice dull gong sound, first time doing this. I was practicing touch and goes with a SC having a good time third battery was doing some more practice when I did a touch and stall with the pole. It did no damage but a dent in the wing spun it around a couple of times. Started laughing cause I've read about the light pole crashes here, now it was my turn.
Yea, those light poles will move out of the ground to hit your plane You have to watch them real close Oh well, I made some room for some more planes Take care, Gramps

Old 07-03-2009, 01:15 AM   #138
unidaddy

Friends: (0)

I'm new to the forum....and this seemed to be the perfect place for a 1st post!! It happened yesterday, though. I had 4 nice take-off/landings the other day, and yesterday had 3 nice take-offs/landings and one ground loop that cracked my E-flight J-3 up a bit. I had read and heard about the tendency for rudder help on take-off, but must've had beginners luck! The good thing about the experience was that there was another pilot at the field with much more experience who looked at the plane and said, "We could get you flying again quick if you want!". We got out some thin CA and a little tape and were back in business. The next (final for the day) take-off waggled a bit, but ended up in a nice flight and a final landing for the day that insured my total addiction to the hobby (along with my 10-year-old daughter)!!
Old 07-03-2009, 01:33 AM   #139
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by unidaddy View Post
I'm new to the forum....and this seemed to be the perfect place for a 1st post!! It happened yesterday, though. I had 4 nice take-off/landings the other day, and yesterday had 3 nice take-offs/landings and one ground loop that cracked my E-flight J-3 up a bit. I had read and heard about the tendency for rudder help on take-off, but must've had beginners luck! The good thing about the experience was that there was another pilot at the field with much more experience who looked at the plane and said, "We could get you flying again quick if you want!". We got out some thin CA and a little tape and were back in business. The next (final for the day) take-off waggled a bit, but ended up in a nice flight and a final landing for the day that insured my total addiction to the hobby (along with my 10-year-old daughter)!!
Hi unidaddy And Welcome to Wattflyers We all crash from time to time, but at least we can walk away from our crashes kewl, your getting your 10 year old daughter involved with RC, Thats neet, gals take to RC like a duck to water Take care and have fun, Chellie

Old 07-03-2009, 01:36 AM   #140
anthony7820

i have a formosa i was coming out of a very high flat spin
as i was diving i the prop started making noise so i tried the same thing again just for fun
after i came out of the flat spin i was going straight down and was going to pull out at the last second but my elevator servo froze and it went straight into the ground

the wing is in perfect condition
motor has a bent shaft
the fuselage is in 3 pieces

would this be considered pilot error??
Old 07-03-2009, 01:41 AM   #141
MadMonkey
OOGA BOOGA

Club: 114th RC Aerosquadron
Send a message via AIM to MadMonkey Send a message via MSN to MadMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to MadMonkey
Friends: (1)

My friend and I both crashed our F-16's today... his had an elevator servo lock up and it went straight into the trees, ripping off both wings, one elevator, the nose, and the ducting on the bottom. His was a Hobby Lobby, mine is a Phase 3.

I was doing one of my "famous" low passes trying to show off for a family that stopped by to watch. I was about to pull up at the end of the runway and had gotten about 2' off the ground when I suddenly took one of the worst radio hits I've had in a while... the plane dove STRAIGHT into the ground, crushing in the front of the intake. Then it bounced up! I punched the throttle again, and managed to turn around before I hit the trees at the end of the field. I was barely getting any power because of the freshly-closed intake, but I managed to make a high-alpha flight back to my position and land.

It's repairable, but I think it's time to buy a new airframe anyway... again
Ugh.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:41 AM   #142
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by anthony7820 View Post
i have a formosa i was coming out of a very high flat spin
as i was diving i the prop started making noise so i tried the same thing again just for fun
after i came out of the flat spin i was going straight down and was going to pull out at the last second but my elevator servo froze and it went straight into the ground

the wing is in perfect condition
motor has a bent shaft
the fuselage is in 3 pieces

so its not tht bad for going straight into the ground
Bummer, what elevator servo were you using, I Like the HEX 9 Gram servos, they work great, they have a lot of power to them, I have them on a funjet doing 103 MPH and a katana profile plane with a 49" wing span, never a problem with them. look at the video link on the bottom of my post, HEX 9 gram servos all around, with big wide Ailerons, Take care, Chellie

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ec_Micro_Servo

Old 07-03-2009, 01:45 AM   #143
anthony7820

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Bummer, what elevator servo were you using, I Like the HEX 9 Gram servos, they work great, they have a lot of power to them, I have them on a funjet doing 103 MPH and a katana profile plane with a 49" wing span, never a problem with them. look at the video link on the bottom of my post, HEX 9 gram servos all around, with big wide elevators, Take care, Chellie

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ec_Micro_Servo
haha im not sure what it is but im 15 i just fly them i dont really pay much attention to that stuff
as me and my dad were walking to the airplane he says "that happened to me before but luckly i wasnt going straight down....i guess i shouldve changed the servo"

so now hopefully he remembers to change the servo this time
Old 07-03-2009, 01:49 AM   #144
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by anthony7820 View Post
haha im not sure what it is but im 15 i just fly them i dont really pay much attention to that stuff
as me and my dad were walking to the airplane he says "that happened to me before but luckly i wasnt going straight down....i guess i shouldve changed the servo"

so now hopefully he remembers to change the servo this time
use the Hex 9 Gram servos, if you use more than 3 hex 9 gram servos at a time, then you will need to use a UBEC of 3 amps or more, so you dont run out of electric power from your ESC, Take care, Chellie

Old 07-03-2009, 01:52 AM   #145
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
My friend and I both crashed our F-16's today... his had an elevator servo lock up and it went straight into the trees, ripping off both wings, one elevator, the nose, and the ducting on the bottom. His was a Hobby Lobby, mine is a Phase 3.

I was doing one of my "famous" low passes trying to show off for a family that stopped by to watch. I was about to pull up at the end of the runway and had gotten about 2' off the ground when I suddenly took one of the worst radio hits I've had in a while... the plane dove STRAIGHT into the ground, crushing in the front of the intake. Then it bounced up! I punched the throttle again, and managed to turn around before I hit the trees at the end of the field. I was barely getting any power because of the freshly-closed intake, but I managed to make a high-alpha flight back to my position and land.

It's repairable, but I think it's time to buy a new airframe anyway... again
Ugh.
Bummer, what kind of radio and receiver are you using, you should never get hit with a quallity radio and receiver, I use a Fm JR Radio and a BERG receiver, and have never been hit with glitches, I went to berg receivers after i tried all the rest, I got tired of being hit, and loosing my planes with cheapy receivers, take care, Chellie

Old 07-03-2009, 03:15 AM   #146
MadMonkey
OOGA BOOGA

Send a message via AIM to MadMonkey Send a message via MSN to MadMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to MadMonkey

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Bummer, what kind of radio and receiver are you using, you should never get hit with a quallity radio and receiver, I use a Fm JR Radio and a BERG receiver, and have never been hit with glitches, I went to berg receivers after i tried all the rest, I got tired of being hit, and loosing my planes with cheapy receivers, take care, Chellie
9303 with a Berg 4. I've crashed the EF-16's three times because of radio problems with three different Berg receivers... no issues with Hitec receivers on my glow planes. I glitch occasionally with my Coronas, but never this badly
Old 07-03-2009, 07:28 AM   #147
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

View Fly Time's Gallery17
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (20)

9303 with a Berg 4. I've crashed the EF-16's three times because of radio problems with three different Berg receivers... no issues with Hitec receivers on my glow planes. I glitch occasionally with my Coronas, but never this badly
Interesting that you are having problems with your Berg Rx. I have had the same experience with Berg as Chellie: Rock solid! Cannot say the same for the other brands I've tried including Corona, GWS and Hitec. The only time I've ever had a problem with a Berg I've been able to solve it by re-routing the antenna.

Doug
Loves the sound of 50 amps through an outrunner!
Old 07-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #148
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Wow, do you tape the crystal to the receiver, some people have had issues with the crystal working loose, I always tape the crystal in, so it does not vibrate loose, might want to try that, are there high tention wires in the area or under ground, and are you near a military air base, those are about the only reasons i can see for you having problems, unless you transmitter is starting to go out on you, does the problem happen if you fly at a different area there is a flying field close to me, and most of my receivers, when i had the other than bergs, would glitch like crazy, after using the bergs, i have not had anymore issues, is there a hwy, near you where truckers are at, the CB radios are on 72mHz also, and truckers love CB amplifiers if your flying in a RF dirty area, you might want to use 2.4 Radio, take care, Chellie

Old 07-03-2009, 11:24 AM   #149
MadMonkey
OOGA BOOGA

I had never had a receiver problem (except with GWS) until using a Berg. I thought that was strange since they were supposed to be great I don't usually tape my crystals since I've never had one fall out. I do check them often though. No high tension lines near the field, but I've had a glitch near them at an Airsoft event (flying a UAV).

And yeah, I think most of my next paycheck will be spent on a 2.4 9303.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #150
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

I had never had a receiver problem (except with GWS) until using a Berg. I thought that was strange since they were supposed to be great I don't usually tape my crystals since I've never had one fall out. I do check them often though. No high tension lines near the field, but I've had a glitch near them at an Airsoft event (flying a UAV).

And yeah, I think most of my next paycheck will be spent on a 2.4 9303.
A 2.4 would be a good idea, you may be in a area where there is a lot of RFI, and a 2.4 will really help out, Take care and have fun, Chellie

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Crash and Safety Forum

Tags
crashed , today