Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Member Product Reviews > Aircraft Reviews
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Aircraft Reviews Member based Reviews on ARF's and Kits Open for Business!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Comment

Review Tools Display Modes
Multiplex Twinstar II
Multiplex Twinstar II
The Multi Purpose Big Foamy
Published by stinkweed007
10-12-2008
Default Multiplex Twinstar II

I wish I had some build photos but I really dont.. so bear with me.

Whe I first got my Twinstar II I was hopeful that I would finally have a good plane to perform AP and AV. (I was beating up my poor WingDragon)

The Build
as far as kits go.. This one was quite easy, everything was well sorted out, not alot of parts, simple screw on wing mounts. Everything goes quite well together with hot glue (does not melt the ELAPOR foam) And yes.. you can use standard spraypaint to paint it.

There are 4 points which got in my way though.
1st, The motor mounts for the brushed motors which came with my version of the plane. they are fine and dont take much to install, but once installed and glued into place, you will have a hard time removing them to replace with a brushless set. only because once they are in, you run the risk of breaking the foam housing removing them.

2nd, There are no included covers for the aileron servos. leaving a large hole waiting to get pelted by grass and other landing surfaces fo this 'belly in' style plane. I ended up covering my servos with package tape and them painted over them.

3rd, While this is a model with a scale apearance mix of part Seaplane, part short range transport, there is not a natural location for any kind of landing gear. There have been many who have made gear for them, but you really have to get creative to make a set that is not only functional, but visually pleasing.

4th, Ooooh that wing joiner CF tube and its cover. Here is, in my opinion, a bad design solution. While building this aircraft, you lay the two Main wing halves upside-down on the floor, then you lay a carbon tube in the pre-shaped gutter in each wing, then you lay your servo and motor wires in the same gutter, then put down the two gutter covers which should close everything up and make the wing look whole from the bottom.

Prepare to do some cutting here. the wires for the motors and likewise for the aileron servos will ultimately consume to much space in that small remaining gutter area for the covers to fit flush to the under surface of the wing. you will want to shave a good bit off the 'inside' of these covers so that the wires have room.

and unless you intend to remain with the brushed motors forever, try to find another way to fasten the covers, but make it sturdy, these small covers are the only things keeping your main wing from clapping upwards. If you glue your covers on, your future motor upgrade will occur on the wing's exterior.

The Flying
One thing you can not complain about is how this plane flys. Her size makes the fast whizzing twin engine flyby just so easy and soo much fun. She is one stable bird, but equally nimble. she'll roll, flip, hammerhead, divebomb with the best of them. Might want to tune down that elevator though, she pulls up quite quick.

The Repairs
This is one tough bird. The Twinstar II is made of ELAPOR foam. quite shock resistant and sturdy. sure, it scratches and chips, but I have beat her up pretty good, and she took it. however, when I did smash her up real good, the repairs went well with hot glue and toothpicks.. there are very few 'thin' areas in this design so when you do break something, you have alot of surface to work with in your repair.

Since my brushless upgrade. I LOVE this plane. I have a camera that weighs 279g and the Twinstar hardly flinched. Plus, I love zooming up to a good height, then taking advantage of the unbelieveable glide properties for a slow decent that litterally takes a few minutes. This can make your flight times really long and enjoyable. Which is also great for AP/AV. There is also PLENTY of space for just about any battery in the fuselage.

Don't Like
There are 3 large chambers of space inside the fuselage. Once you glue the 2 halves of the fuselage together, you only have partial access to 1 of them. So if you plan on downlinking your AP/AV platform or packing in GPS or.. well.. anything, you kinda have to know that durring your build to take advantage of the space the Twinstar II has to offer. otherwise you will be packing Everything onto the nose.

The battery cooling intake on the nose is also a bit worthless. once you have tha canopy on, air is supposed to flow into the intake and out through a small vent atop the fuslage at the trailing edge of the main wing. however the plane tends to spend alot of time with the nose pitched slightly up, so the intake hardly sees any action. If you have a battery which gets warm easy with your setup, I would have to recommend an improvised scoop to increase the airflow to that intake. or leave the canopy off all together.

All in all, This is a great 'built to purpose' aircraft.
If you are looking to take stuff up, this is your plane..
Specifications
Wingspan: 56" (1420mm) Overall Length: 40.5" (1085mm) Wing Area: 667 sq" Flying Weight:
Equipment Used:
Motor: Speed Control: Servos: Battery:
Retail Price:
$ 89.00
Manufacturer
Multiplex

Author review
Kit Instructions:
90%90%90%
Materials & Packaging:
100%100%100%
Ease of Build & Finish:
60%60%60%
Design & Appearance:
70%70%70%
General Flight Characteristics:
90%90%90%
Performance Capabilities:
90%90%90%
Maintenance & Repair:
70%70%70%
Average 81%

Member rating
Kit Instructions:
80%80%80%
Materials & Packaging:
80%80%80%
Ease of Build & Finish:
80%80%80%
Design & Appearance:
90%90%90%
General Flight Characteristics:
100%100%100%
Performance Capabilities:
100%100%100%
Maintenance & Repair:
100%100%100%
2 users rated 90% average

Experience Level Advised
Experience Level Advised
Intermediate,Beginner

References
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35798

Review Tools
Show Printable Version  Email this Page 
Old 11-08-2008, 11:37 AM
EyeSoar

Default TwinStar! Excellent review

You summed it up pretty nicely! I am flying my 6th TwinStarII! Yeah, I really put them to the test, but love the plane so much, I keep coming back. I use a pair of Mega Brushless inrunners. They fit right in there with the stock mounts. My First 2* flew away (didn't come out of a cloud!) so I am on my second pair of Megas. They've held up for a couple years, now, along with the rest of the electronics!
Old 11-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Super Contributor

Default Wunderbar!

GREAT write-up, Stink!

It is a treat to finally get to see the plane that has brought us so many AP and AV contributions.

I had a very similar problem on the E-Flite P38 with the wiring harnesses going through one trough to converge in the middle.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:41 AM

hellohas anyone done multiplex on the lightcycler 480? we want to do 5 color,and can anyone recommend a kit?
Old 07-18-2009, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the answer. Can you tell me what a set is?? The request in the competition is four sets of a two ball multiplex
Old 04-29-2010, 01:00 PM

Default Twinstar

MY TWINSTAR IS ONE OF THE ORIGINALS AND STILL GOING STRONG, MANY PARTS HAVE BEEN GLUED BACK ON. THESE DAYS IT IS POWERED BY 2 X 2812 BRUSHLESS MOTORS AND 2200 LIPO'S. YOU CANNOT GET A BETTER TRAINING AIRFRAME FOR TUITION, THE GLIDE IS FANTASTIC AND SO PREDICTABLE.
GET IT ON THE SNOW IN WINTER AND TOUCH AND GO ALL DAY, JUST WIPE IT DOWN AND GO HOME.
I JUST LOVE THIS MODEL TO BITS.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:44 AM

Will it work with a 70mm EDF??
Old 07-04-2013, 12:11 PM

Default EDF Twinstar

There are discussions and blogs on here for edf conversion, so i suggest filling in the search box and see what pops up. As far as i am concerned, the twinstar would adopt this conversion easily.
Comment

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Member Product Reviews > Aircraft Reviews

Tags
multiplex , twinstar

« Previous Review | Next Review »