Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Regional Forums > Regional forums listing > Australia
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
Little Black Duck
Daffy

Club: HEMFC
Friends: (1)
Default 2.4GHz Radios in Oz

G'day

IMO the importers and MAAA have got us poor Aussies by the short & curlies with their generally adopted by most clubs 'No 'C tick' - No Fly rule' that has been applied to 2.4GHz radios.

This is despite the fact that, in the case of Spektrum/Jr systems for instance, Horizon Hobbies actually distribute the same absolutely identical 2.4GHz Spektrum radios that we use here, all over the world, all of which have passed the rigourous U.S. FCC requirements, and also have the EEC's CE compliance as well.
They are imported and distributed here by Modelflight, the only difference being that the Tx and Rx modules have a little 'C' tick sticker on the back! That makes them so much better and safer to use - right??? .

I'm sure the importers of these and also the importers of Futaba and the X-Treme 2.4GHz equipt would have had individual systems checked by ACMA, and would then undoubtedly pass on the compliance costs to the buyer, but this should surely not preclude users of identical, and I stress identical, imported 2.4GHz radios from being able to use them here.
But, quite naturally, the importers want you to buy their considerably more expensive, Aussie-fied, and now fully compliant radios from them, now they have their little 'C' tick sticker, despite them being identical in every way to an import, and confirmed by Product Support at Horizons.

On the other hand however, the MAAA is afraid of litigation and having to have their insurer pay out if an accident, however unlikely to be caused by a radio malfunction, can possibly be sheeted home to a non-compliant radio failure. Unfortunately many clubs have taken this line, applying the No-fly rule if it ain't gotta 'C' tick. Even though most unfortunate arrivals are due to pilot error, or interference, if we don't want to blame the pilot. This will be harder to prove if what is said to be true about 2.4GHz radios being so much safer is half true!

Therefore fellow Aussie flyers, don't consider importing, or bringing back to Oz, a non-C-ticked 2.4GHz radio.

What really concerns me though, and is worth thinking about, is that this legal insurance restrictive facet of flying any RC models may become the thin end of the wedge in regards to two other restrictions that could be brought in by the MAAA.

For example, a person can turn up at a club field, complete with his nice and legal for Oz 'C' ticked radio controlling, we hope, his model - right?
So that isn't a problem. Or is it?
However he's actually a newbie member, he pays his membership fees, and has his nice little FAI - MAAA card, which is actually his insurance policy, or, if he's not a member, a possible visitors fee, and assures the club safety officer after showing him his MAAA FAI Card, that he is a competent RC flyer - But is he?
Does he have his 'wings' to prove he's a competent flyer?
Also is his aircraft built, and the radio and his aircraft controls functioning properly?
He should really have to have a pilots license, and his aircraft have an airworthiness certificate to keep the rest of the citizens of Oz safe!

Perhaps there will, in the near future, be a mandatory requirement that all pilots have to undergo training and gain a proper Certificate of competence - a pilots licence, before they can fly. Actually not a bad idea in fact.

Also that their aircraft should have to pass a C of A to prove that it too can not possibly cause an accident, rendering our MAAA liable in this increasingly litigous world we live in.

There is far more chance of aircraft loss because of these factors than the increasingly reliable radios from wherever they are bought.

I strongly suggest all RC flyers considering purchasing 2.4GHz equipt read MAAA MOP058, which despite noting that most radios we are likely to consider are currently accepted systems, according to Appendix A. still insist that they be compliant - if you can decypher the vaguaries of the 'legalese' in which it is written.

Food for thought.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
Jaiwill

Friends: (0)

Whats the c tick i have DX6i been flying for bit now do i need to check anything...

T-Rex 450SE V2, HS 65MG
Various Foamys...(easy to fix)
DSX9, Phoenix 3.......
Old 10-30-2008, 01:24 AM   #3
Little Black Duck
Daffy

Default 'C' tick enquiry

Originally Posted by Jaiwill View Post
Whats the c tick i have DX6i been flying for bit now do i need to check anything...

Take a look at the pics attached to the Aussie E-Flight; 351302 Post. Although this shows a 2.4GHz JR module you can clearly see the 'mandatory' 'C' tick with its ref# N12891 alongside it on the label which is required for all Spektrum and JR 2.4GHz radios sold here, or you aren't 'legal'.
FYI Jaiwill, if you bought it here in Oz, there is absolutely nothing different about your DX6i to any other DX6i sold everywhere else in the world. All that is different is that little 'C' tick sticker on the back, and also stuck to both your Rx modules too!
David.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:22 AM   #4
ExtremeRC
Rocket Man

Actually thats not entirely true, I believe France receives radios set to a lower mw output compared to the rest of the world. Maybe not France but somewhere over there

Extreme RC AUSTRALIA
www.extremerc.com.au
Old 11-05-2008, 10:19 AM   #5
Little Black Duck
Daffy

Correct - but if you have a Spektrum DX6i and quite possibly the same would be true for the other Spektrum based radios, they have the ability to change the output setting built into the setup list program. For Europe it's A-EU328 which is a lower outputthan the USA or the rest of the world - B-US247. This does not change the fact that they are absolutely identical.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
Jaiwill

Thanks david will check that when i get home. Not sure what it means exactly for me tho, not being a member of any club just a weekend park-flyer. I guess insurance angles there. Need to look into things a little further maybe...

T-Rex 450SE V2, HS 65MG
DSX9, Phoenix 3.......
Old 11-17-2008, 01:36 AM   #7
Jaiwill

Yep, got the "C" tick... buy from reputable aussie supplier if your worried about this. Doesn't mean squat if your a park flyer your not covered anyway. From the info iv'e gathered shires/councils are just turning a blind eye for now with the electric/parkflyers, until someone gets hurt.. More and more signs are showing up in parks saying "no radio controlled aircraft" or similar. Were on our own as far as parks go so make hay while the suns shining, and winds not blowing, or join a club.

T-Rex 450SE V2, HS 65MG
DSX9, Phoenix 3.......
Old 11-18-2008, 09:27 PM   #8
ants

Default all very dissapointing

As someone living in the UK, but likly to move to Oz in 6 months I had embarked upon a plan to switch to 2.4 (we use 35mhz here not 36). I have a Futaba 9C Tx, so can get a futaba 2.4 RF module for it, and about to buy a 2nd hand one.

All seems a bit pointless if I have to thro it in the bin and hand over alot of cash for stickered version upon arrival in oz.

Is this level of regulation obsession I should come to expect if moving down there?

Anthony
Old 11-21-2008, 08:16 AM   #9
Little Black Duck
Daffy

Originally Posted by ants View Post
As someone living in the UK, but likly to move to Oz in 6 months I had embarked upon a plan to switch to 2.4 (we use 35mhz here not 36). I have a Futaba 9C Tx, so can get a futaba 2.4 RF module for it, and about to buy a 2nd hand one.

All seems a bit pointless if I have to thro it in the bin and hand over alot of cash for stickered version upon arrival in oz.

Is this level of regulation obsession I should come to expect if moving down there?

Anthony
In a word YES.

Sorry about that Anthony.

Still 'n all, if you come and live in the Sydney Metro area, you're also gonna find it hard to find a good flying area close to home that's not going to be swallowed up by development, either now or fairly soon in the future.

All in all it's very disheartening especially if you're used to having a flying field close by where you are in the UK.

Oz is overall a good country though, and we need more good Pommie stock to emigrate here.

David.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:16 PM   #10
ants

Originally Posted by David Gower View Post
In a word YES.

Sorry about that Anthony.

Still 'n all, if you come and live in the Sydney Metro area, you're also gonna find it hard to find a good flying area close to home that's not going to be swallowed up by development, either now or fairly soon in the future.

All in all it's very disheartening especially if you're used to having a flying field close by where you are in the UK.

Oz is overall a good country though, and we need more good Pommie stock to emigrate here.

David.
Hi,

Were actually likley to end up on a suberb of Perth, having seen how much space you guys have I am looking forward to being able to just go outside anywhere and fly!

I wont bother upgrading any of my radio gear yet though, sounds like I had better get saving for when I (hopefully) get there...

Anthony
Old 11-22-2008, 10:21 PM   #11
Jaiwill

Hey ants, yep WA definately place to be lots of wide open spaces plenty of sunshine and great weather, work no prob either, mining big boom at moment good money.

T-Rex 450SE V2, HS 65MG
DSX9, Phoenix 3.......
Old 11-23-2008, 04:41 AM   #12
Little Black Duck
Daffy

I tend to agree with Jaiwill, Anthony. NSW is a bankrupt State of Confusion. If I had my 'druthers, either WA or SA is where I'd choose to live, with QLD a distant third.
Seriously though, you really won't pay that much more to buy your 2.4 GHz gear here. I only *****ed about it because I think we're over controlled here in this overly litigious country - we're worse than the US now, and because I'd already bought my Spektrum Radio overseas, identical to that sold here, but before I found out about the 'No C-tick - No Fly rule' and which according to the MAAA, is 'illegal' unless it's 'C-ticked'.
David.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:52 AM   #13
Little Black Duck
Daffy

Hey what's wrong with the word which I used to mean 'cussed about', and translated would actually be 'female dogged about'? Or - if we must apparently use very polite English, possibly 'complained strongly about' would be acceptable perhaps, to not offend our brother modellers' delicate sensibilities - Hmmmm?
C'mon Mr. Forums Controller - get a life. That expression is used colloquially everywhere! And I WAS very Pi**ed off when I wrote the original thread - and still am.
David.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Regional Forums > Regional forums listing > Australia

Tags
24ghz , oz , radios