Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-03-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
Bill Linske

Club: Shawano R/C Flying Club
Friends: (1)
Default Multiplex EasyCub

Over this winter, I'm thinking of building a Multiplex Easy Cub. I have a HiMax HC2816-0890 motor and a BL-37 amp ESC on hand. The problem is that I would like to add ailerons to it since it is two axis only model. I checked with Multiplex and they have no plans to convert the model to three axis control. Has anyone added ailerons to the EasyCub? My MiniMag has them built in and it can be used either as a two or three axis model. The hinge is built in and works well in three axis. I guess I'm looking to duplicate the MiniMag setup, if possible.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:10 PM   #2
Ben D wing

View Ben D wing's Gallery50
Club: Leek and Moorlands Model Gliding Association.

I'm not sure why you would want to put ailerons on the Easy Cub as it is designed primarily as a trainer and as such has a very stable flight pattern. However, I have noticed that ailerons and flaps are outlined on the wings so I guess a conversion might be possible, but I'm not sure how you could easily reduce the dihedral that is built in.
Here's a link to a video of the Cub......http://www.multiplex-rc.de/hp/nav.js...b=07&byclick=# Look under downloads..

P.S.
Did you know that it has painted Elapor wheels? Not sure how long they will last on a pavement or asphalt runway!

The original Dead-Stick Dummy!
Old 11-04-2008, 02:30 AM   #3
Bill Linske

Ben D Wing:

Thanks for your response. The MiniMag has a High Dihedral also, an it flys well, but you have to hold some airleron control and up elevator in a turn. I like the looks of the EasyCub and think it will fly well with ailerons. Maybe it won't. The MM has Elapor wheels also and they work just fine, although I fly mostly on grass, hand launching and landing on grass. The Elapor is pretty tough stuff. I may be barking up the wrong tree, but it seems to me the EasyCub would function well with ailerons. What I'm wondering is can the Elapor wing be compressed to form hinges for the ailerons like the MM and be formed on the wing? I realize this is done on the MM during the wing molding and forming. Have you or anyone else done it after the fact?
Old 11-04-2008, 05:11 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,109 Times in 2,019 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (305)

Look what I found at RCG

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=909225&page=2

Aug 25, 2008, 08:24 PM #22 helisailor
plane-air=ground

few more pics
finally finished all the glueing on the plane.i went ahead and put ailerons on it but still need to install the connecting wire.i need to buy a couple of 12in and 3in extentions for the ailerons.i dont like plugging straight in to the receiver everytime because it will wear out the pins.with the hs81 servos the connecting wire came out just perfect in length.both outside tubes had to be cut shorter than the instructions length.the magister looks like a monster next to it except for the wingspan.of course it the magister weighs 3 times as much.bending the tail wheel wire gave me fits.i have never seen such small wire so hard to bend.the main wheel wire is 2.5mm versus 4mm on the magister.well anyway here are a few more pics.hope it helps someone out there.
Attached Thumbnails
  • next to the magister 93.6 KB Views: 97
  • pops in and held with screw 34.4 KB Views: 56
  • good size wingspan 62.2 KB Views: 74
  • hatch pops on 34.0 KB Views: 36
  • ailerons added 81.1 KB Views: 81
  • wire just long enough 42.1 KB Views: 49
  • wing slides apart 62.2 KB Views: 61
  • just long enough again 36.7 KB Views: 52

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 11-04-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
Bill Linske

Chellie:

Great pictures and great job putting ailerons on the Easycub. Shows it can be done. Like you I am interested in the airplane with ailerons. As mentioned above, I plan to use the HiMax HC2816-0890 motor in the airplane. How does that compare to what you've used? I believe Multiplex shows the HiMax HC 2816-1220 motor as the suggested motor to use on the EasyStar. The HC 2816-1220 will be faster, but I'm hoping the HC2816-0890 will do with a slightly larger prop. I will be interested in the flying capability of the EasyCub with ailerons. Again, excellent job! Great pictures. Appreciate the heads up.

I also have the Magister as you do. What a bust that plane has been. I bought it RTF with the 680 brushed motor. It's flown about three times and won't get off the ground with battery supplied. Multiplex has dumped it. I know why! What a dud.

Bill
Old 11-05-2008, 03:20 AM   #6
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,109 Times in 2,019 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (305)

Originally Posted by Bill Linske View Post
Chellie:

Great pictures and great job putting ailerons on the Easycub. Shows it can be done. Like you I am interested in the airplane with ailerons. As mentioned above, I plan to use the HiMax HC2816-0890 motor in the airplane. How does that compare to what you've used? I believe Multiplex shows the HiMax HC 2816-1220 motor as the suggested motor to use on the EasyStar. The HC 2816-1220 will be faster, but I'm hoping the HC2816-0890 will do with a slightly larger prop. I will be interested in the flying capability of the EasyCub with ailerons. Again, excellent job! Great pictures. Appreciate the heads up.

I also have the Magister as you do. What a bust that plane has been. I bought it RTF with the 680 brushed motor. It's flown about three times and won't get off the ground with battery supplied. Multiplex has dumped it. I know why! What a dud.

Bill
Hi Bill I cant take the Credit for that one I found it over at RCG, and thought you would like to see that ailerons can be added to that Plane, I love ailerons, after I flew with ailerons for the first time, I forgot what a Rudder was Take Care, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 11-05-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
Bill Linske

Chellie:

I appreciate the effort on your behalf to pass on the info. Thank you. I'm looking forward to the project this winter.

Bill
Old 03-22-2009, 05:29 AM   #8
websterphreaky
Banned

Friends: (0)
Default Follow up - Easy Cub mods - Aileron and Motors

Chellie:

Bill
Bill,
Just spotted this thread as I'm about to add Ailerons to an EasyCub I picked up from a kid for $40 less drive bits. I'm curious to hear how your Aileron mods went - how you did it, what hardware used and most importantly how it flys now. I intend to use mine as a cheap Multiplex Mentor glider tow plane.

As for motors, the HiMax HC 2816-1220 is a good choice, I went with a Turnigy C3630-1100 (1100kv) 36mm x 30mm Brushless for a whopping $18.50. Turns the EasyCub into a rocket, but the poor over-winged and too lite EC stumbles around like a drunk bumble-bee (also thanks to weak 2 axis controls. However, it can pull out a tree stump - great for towing. But I need to greatly improve "steering" stability and I think Ailerons will do it.

I'd disagree with your choice on the best BL motor choice for the EasyStar though. This is my goof-off powered "glider" and I admittedly have turned a "trainer" into a Frankin-seudo-glider. A better choice I made, based on calcs i derived from Drive Calculator, easier to mount and retaining the design aesthetics of the EasyStar, was a 28mm x 35mm (same exact size as the stock brushed motor) Inrunner at 2700kv - 250w. I enlarged the wiring channel inside the fuse and all wiring is hidden. The ESC is in the "cabin" along with a 2200mAh 25C 3S LiPO, 1 oz of lead and of course some ventilation ports. My Frankin-EasyStar can go near vertical from hand launch up to a good mile, at only 3/4 throttle. Ailerons are my next "abomination" to the ES.

Sorry, I know this bit of my post is off topic. - here's a couple pics.

If you or anyone has pics of their Easy Cub aileron mods, and hardware solutions, lets see and hear 'em!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EasyStar_2700kv_installed01.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	96995 Some hidden evil in that stock pod.

Name:	EasyStar_rudder_mod01.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	96996 Modded Rudder, too much has been made of the need for BIG rudder surface. Can't see the seam between the old and new rudder sections.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
Bill Linske

websterphreaky,

Actually I went a different way. When I evaluated it all, I decided to go with a Multiplex Mentor. It is still in the box. I went with the Turnigy C3548-900 motor at $25.95 from Hobby King with a Turnigy Plush 60A ESC. Right now I've installed them in my Magister to see how it works. The Mentor is basically a Magister updated anyway. When spring comes to northern Wisconsin, I'll have a chance to fly it. I bought an upgraded HZ3548-900 from HK for the Mentor. I also added a outrunner brushless to my new ES. Don't ask what is is since I bought it in a flat foam 3D with ESC and Reciever and it isn't marked, but it works, but could be more powerful. You get what you pay for. ($10.00)
Old 09-07-2009, 07:12 AM   #10
websterphreaky
Banned

Default Rather late follow up on adding Ailerons to the MPX Easy Cub

Sorry for the rather late follow up to adding Ailerons to the MPX Easy Cub. I've been flying mine with the Aileron mod for 3 months now and for those that don't think it's worth it or "why would you want to?", you have no idea what you are missing out on, without them.

With a KMS 2814/06 brushless, 10x5.5 APC-E, 2800mAh 3S LiPO and 30A ESC, and the addition of the Ailerons with some minor radio Rudder mixing, the Easy Cub became the Hot Rod Acrobatic Cub - even with the stock Dihedral! Rock steady rolls, stall turns, inside/outside loops, inverted, Cuban 8's, even hovering! It's also VERY Fast!

I cut, err melted, the Ailerons in using a narrow point 15w soldering pen along the fake aileron outlines MPX provided; same used to melt in the servos wire paths into the fuse and making openings in the fuse for the servo wires. I used TowerPro 9G Servos and no problems. Medium Hot Glue works great for glueing in the servos as shown in the pics.

All the following pictures are pretty self explanatory. As a footnote, alas the Hot Rod Acro Cub is no more, a faulty Hobby City ESC flaked out during some acrobatics and the H R A Cub took a plunge into our grass field than made a 3" deep divit and destroyed the fuse. Amazingly, the wings are perfect and that damn KMS motor has already been rebuilt ..... least to say, I've already ordered a new MPX Cub fuse, canopy and accessory bag.

Next .... flatten the wings so I can do knife edges.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	finished painted wing.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	108735 Ailerons and servos installed

Name:	glued servos close.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	108736 recessed TP9G servos and wiring with mylar tape covering

Name:	servo wire embedded taped.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	108737 Used the same small tip 15W soldering pen I melted the ailerons with to make wire tracks

Name:	servo wire extension embedded.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	108738 Recessed the servos wire extension hubs too

Name:	servo_wire_embedded_taped.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	108739 From servos to the fuse, all recessed and taped over for air flow

Name:	cub ready to fly under.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	108740 Finished and mounted Aileron equipped wings. Hot Rod Acro Cub
Old 09-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #11
Bill Linske

webster ..........,

Thanks for the info. Looks as if you've got it right. I have a Himax HC2816-1200 motor, as I inadvertantly broke the motor shaft on my -0890 motor. Himax will replace it with a new one for 65% of the list price. Well worth it. I'm still planning to build the EasyCub this winter. By the way, I had the Mentor check flighted and it flew like a champ. I used the Turnigy HZ 3548-1220 motor and it has plenty of power and speed to do moderate 3D flying. I also use two HK Rhino 11.1 V 2350 20C in parallel for the Mentor or Magister and one in my MiniMag. That way I need only one type of battery and stay flexible at the field. I am very pleased with the Hobby King prices and services, for the Rhino batteries, if they are in stock, and you use PayPal to pay for the purchases. You have to check if all the items you order are in stock, if not, HK will hold the order until all items are in stock. Could take up to a month or more for delivery. Just break the order into two parts and stay close to the shipping charge range of weight.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:25 PM   #12
websterphreaky
Banned

Thumbs up

webster ..........,

Thanks for the info. Looks as if you've got it right. I have a Himax HC2816-1200 motor, as I inadvertantly broke the motor shaft on my -0890 motor. Himax will replace it with a new one for 65% of the list price. Well worth it. I'm still planning to build the EasyCub this winter. By the way, I had the Mentor check flighted and it flew like a champ. I used the Turnigy HZ 3548-1220 motor and it has plenty of power and speed to do moderate 3D flying. I also use two HK Rhino 11.1 V 2350 20C in parallel for the Mentor or Magister and one in my MiniMag. That way I need only one type of battery and stay flexible at the field. I am very pleased with the Hobby King prices and services, for the Rhino batteries, if they are in stock, and you use PayPal to pay for the purchases. You have to check if all the items you order are in stock, if not, HK will hold the order until all items are in stock. Could take up to a month or more for delivery. Just break the order into two parts and stay close to the shipping charge range of weight.
Your Himax HC2816-1200 is nearly the same size and spec wise as the KMS 2814-06; 1280kv, 4mm shaft, 14 poles, but I've measured the KMS at 280w with a 10x5.5 APC-E. It's a LOT more motor than a stock 3ch EasyCub should have, but perfect hot rodded power for a modded Aileron added Cub. I also have a 4ch Magister with the same KMS and it's a perfect match there too. It seems that those three MPX planes like motors at around 1200kv and 200 to 280 watts (actually the Magister and the Mentor are the same plane with different landing gear - tricycle vs tail dragger)

While the KMS is a Amp pig (as the higher wattage indicates), I like that it's very easy to take apart and rebuild. I've nailed the nose of the cub into a fence post and a tree limb before, both at low speeds horsing around and not paying attention, so have bent the motor shaft twice on this one. I just buy a couple 3ft lengths of hardened 4mm drill stock and cut and make my own shafts. I even cut in the C clip slot using a carbon steel ultra fine thin hacksaw blade of the right thickness, while spinning the drill stock in a drill press. (wish I hadn't sold my 6" Atlas tool room lathe years ago.) I also have 3mm, 3.2, and 5mm drill stock for my other motors .... and a selection of motor bearings.

3ft lengths of metric drill stock is about $7 depending on diameter, and high quality Japanese bearings in the common sizes are about $2 each in small bulk. Most brushless motors use commonly found bearings, usually 10x4 metric. Boca Bearings in Florida (where else) has them at very reasonably prices.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:44 PM   #13
Bill Linske

webster.....,

I really like the Multiplex products and have had good luck with them. Most of what's gone wrong is my doing, usually not thinking or checking what I'm about. Like dialing in the wrong model on my Transmitter and having reversed controls. I've built two EasyStars and two MiniMags, plus the Magister and Mentor, which are the same basic airplane as you mentioned. However, there are some improvements in the Mentor, such as the stearable tailwheel (Magister has steerable nose wheel), airscoop in front, and adjustable motor mount for down and side thrust. I pranged my Magister when it got out of radio range due to a broken antenna. I've rebuilt it, but motor got buried in a soft, plowed field, wiping out the ESC, and the motor got filled with dirt beyond the ability to clean it out. I need to order a new one, which will be the same one I used on the Mentor. I like what you've done with the shafts. Up here in NE Wisconsin, if it ain't for a cow, it's not available. Just kidding!
Old 09-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #14
websterphreaky
Banned

Up here in NE Wisconsin, if it ain't for a cow, it's not available. Just kidding!
Ha ha ha ha ha ..... having spent the first 17 years of my life as a farm kid in north central Illinois, I can add - if it ain't for corn, wheat, beans or barley AND cows ..... ". Left for college, the Air Force, Nam and then more college, and never went back. Oh sunny Left Coast!

I can remember burying a few control line planes into "warm and still steamy" paddies. Had to clean and fix those nitro motors. No money to replace them!

I'll agree that the majority of MPX planes are great and forgiving. You're right about the motor mount on the Magister, I had to use nylon washers to get right and down thrust adjustments, but not much. The Easy Cub and Easy Star are abuse takers.

BUT there are some stinkers in the product line.

The Parkmaster fuse is too flimsy in critical spots and the vertical stab and rudder are poorly designed leading to easy breakage. I have more supplemental carbon-fiber rods for rigidity and strength in that plane than in my flat EPP and Depron 3D planes! Also the Gemini biplane was a nightmare working out where the real CG is supposed to be in that MPX didn't have it close to right, and according to the consensus of opinions of a lot of flyer's on various forums. Now it flies "acceptably", but not great.

The Easy Glider Pro is a gem of a fun powered soarer. But the Easy Cub (modified) is still my favorite "stupid plane" - make stupid errors and it still wants to correct itself. Well except for poor choices of cheapo HobbyCity ESC's that fail. Oh well.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #15
Bill Linske

webster......,

I started out in New Jersey and wound up in NE Wisconsin. So I went the opposite way. I love it here and love the people. Actually, believe it or not, the people from NJ are really very friendly as well. Not all New Jerseyians are like Tony Soprano. I grew up where the opening scenes from the Soprano's were really shot., in Elizabeth, NJ. See the Turnpike sign. So I know, right Tony?

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies

Tags
easycub , multiplex