Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-07-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
Arlen

Friends: (0)
Default Good Small Electric Field Near Denver

Hi, I'm new here and I'm new to RC as well, but I recently moved to Denver and I have no idea where to fly.

I've looked around at the fields listed on the AMA website, but what I'm really looking for is a small electric field. I've been to some of the larger sites and they're busy and intimidating places to fly. If I'm flying my 15mph slowflyer and someone races by with a 25% Extra, I feel I have to stay very clear or risk losing my plane.

Does anyone know of any quiet flying sites near downtown Denver for parkflyers?

Thanks,
Arlen
Old 12-07-2008, 10:17 PM   #2
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

View Sky Sharkster's Gallery11
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (20)
Default Denver Flying?

Hello Arlen, Welcome to Wattflyer and Welcome to Denver!
Although I am a member of the Arvada club, I occasionally fly at Denver City Park, the (4) baseball fields north of the Natural History Museum. As long as there's no ball games it's adaquate for park flyers.
There is also a rough site in Southwest Denver, (Lakewood, actually) off Yale avenue between Wadsworth and Kipling. It's not a park, it's Jeffco "Open Space" so no maintainence and lots of prarrie dog holes. Pretty big site, I've flown E-powered gliders there.
In Thornton, there was a small group flying at the Rec Center, 112th and Colorado Blvd. Don't know if they still use it, lots of soccer activity and some field renovation last time I was there, about a year ago.
Those are the main ones I know of, there may be others hidden away.
The Arvada Associated Modelers have a separate field for electrics and gliders, the West field. Their site is off Hwy 93 + 64th Ave. The "Big" planes use the East field.
http://www.arvadamodelers.com/
It's about a 30 mile drive each way for me , so I usually fly at one of the closer areas.
If you want to fly together at one of these, shoot me a PM and I'll meet up with you,
Ron
Old 12-07-2008, 10:37 PM   #3
Arlen

Wow!

Thanks.

I'll have to check these out.

-Arlen
Old 12-10-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
snellcomp

Club: Jeffco 1/09
Default Denver South side

There is a very open park complex in Englewood at Belleview & Windermere called Cornerstone park, soccer fields to the west, and a seldom used, smooth dirt parking lot to the southeast. Hope to see you out there, always looking for new RC buds.

The address is 5150 S. Windermere St. Littleton, CO 80120

Cheers
Old 12-11-2008, 07:38 AM   #5
bulldog319

My neighbor and I fly at an empty field in Thornton at 128th and Colorado, pretty rough field and not suitable for anything that needs much of a takeoff or landing roll. At MAS I met one of the guys who flies at 112th but never seen any of them out there. I think they fly on Sunday mornings.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:43 AM   #6
John C

I'm not in Denver, but last summer I attended a DLG contest at the sod farm at 128th east of Tower and IIRC the club there also allows electric flying. There are no facilities except a dirt parking lot. It's primarily a sailplane club.

I'm going to look into this club when I move to Denver. Arvada Fliers is 25 miles across town...

Also,has anyone looked at Adams County Park? There are some possible sites there.

John C
Old 12-12-2008, 02:07 AM   #7
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

View Sky Sharkster's Gallery11
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (20)
Default Soar Colorado?

Hello John,
That's a great glider site, they call it the "Sod Farm". It belongs to the Rocky Mountain soaring Association;
http://www.rmsadenver.com/
I've flown there a couple of times, when they had electric events. You're right, it's a glider club, with some electric.
Might see you out there sometime, but usually I stick closer to town.
Ron
Old 12-14-2008, 08:39 AM   #8
bulldog319

Took a drive through Adams County Park today.

See some good places there if you have something that lands slow or belly lands and if you don't mind keeping your flying over the water.

Didn't really see a whole lot that would allow flying anything that needs a halfway smooth surface. Some possibilities behind the fairgrounds, but you would have to really keep your flying close in.

Not sure if they allow it there, but didn't see any signs either.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #9
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

View MaxAdventure's Gallery2
Send a message via Yahoo to MaxAdventure
Awards Showcase

3kW  1kW  2kW 
Friends: (7)
Default LEAF rc

If anyone is looking north, theres the leaf field in Longmont by Union Res. Small, but great for electrics. I fly 40 size converted off the runway fine. leafrc.com
Old 03-25-2010, 06:35 AM   #10
botham

Default comment

Hay i am the students of MBA and going to visit this site first time. Yes i was looking for north and thanks for your guidance.

botham
Old 03-25-2010, 06:01 PM   #11
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

View jasmine2501's Gallery4
Send a message via Yahoo to jasmine2501
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (19)

PM me your exact location and I'll tell you where the parks are. In general, we don't want the parks to become too popular, and there are clubs all over town. Arvada has the best facility and nicest people though

Sky Sharkster, we try not to propagate the notion that the fields at Arvada have different purposes. Electrics (and fuel) of any size or configuration are welcome at either field. If you need a paved runway, the east field is perfect - I regularly fly my smaller stuff and helicopters over there. The down side is that the solar charging station is at the west field. We are working on a proposal to improve the runway surface and other items at the west field. Upgrades will be completed ASAP if the city approves the plan.

Get your Strykers and come on y'all... let's have a furball!
Old 10-08-2010, 02:32 AM   #12
zeedre

Any new spots or gatherings specifically IN(as opposed to near) nw denver?? The arvada field tho fantastic is just too far away.

I've been flying my small foamie at the north east end of sloans lake lately the odd weekday during lunch. If any peeps want to make a regular meeting or similar, it would be cool.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions

Tags
denver , flying site