Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-14-2008, 01:20 AM   #1
murphy

Friends: (0)
Default Batteries & Chargers, Turnigy accucell-6

Hello folks
I am quite new to electric flying an d find this site a great source of information of all things electric, can any member help me re ordering the above charger from TURNIGY, as I am finding it difficult to place an order with Hobby King. com prhaps I am doing something wrong. Also do you think this charger is suitable for a beginner? T he price seems reasonable to me and given my limited knowledge of LiPo batteries, charging, discharging etc I would appreciate any advice re the above.
Thanks, murphy.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #2
diverdon

Friends: (4)

Originally Posted by murphy View Post
Hello folks
I am quite new to electric flying an d find this site a great source of information of all things electric, can any member help me re ordering the above charger from TURNIGY, as I am finding it difficult to place an order with Hobby King. com prhaps I am doing something wrong. Also do you think this charger is suitable for a beginner? T he price seems reasonable to me and given my limited knowledge of LiPo batteries, charging, discharging etc I would appreciate any advice re the above.
Thanks, murphy.
This guy saved me when I was new www.headsuprc.com Jeff is the owners name he has tons of good parts and shipping is allways 2 bucks no matter what you buy ..how little of how much ... Jeff is one of the good guys.. Don't be afraid to ask him a question ... Hope this helps some ... Don J.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:00 PM   #3
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

View Wrench66's Gallery33
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flier's
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (20)

Man, gravity is ALWAYS wanting something from me
Old 12-22-2008, 10:09 PM   #4
Wrench66

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Hello folks
Thanks, murphy.
Hi Murphy,
Normally ordering from Hobby City / King / United .com is a fairly straight forward process. A Paypal account is what most use.....a regular credit card is OK as well (visa or MC). Describe exactly what stage is giving you the problem and I'll try and solve it.
Regarding that Turnigy Accucell 6 charger...I use one and must say it does everything I need and more. It will work with Nicads, Nihms, Lipoly AND lead acid like what's in your car! At the field I can use a 12v motorcycle battery to run the Accucell if I need, and turn around later at home and recharge the MC battery with the Turnigy! I use an old PC power supply to power it at home.
Like you, I'm fairly new to the hobby (jan will be a year) but I had the good fortune to have a very good friend lend me this one to try out. Well, it stayed! hehe, charges 2s to 6s and with a combo connector avail at HC I can charge 2 3s batteries at once.
Display shows time elapsed, charging voltage as a whole, charging voltage for EACH cell in the battery (super useful) and mah the battery is taking.
For the $40 or so they want for these they are truly worth ever penny and more. They include so many adaptors as well for most any situation, they also offer an adapter cord to recharge your TX packs.

I'm happy with mine.

--Ray

EDIT---Sorry for the repeat here, I didn't realize I had talked to you a few days earlier about this charger (thought your name looked familar and went looking for some previous posts). Give me a hollar if you still have trouble ordering, OK?

Old 12-23-2008, 01:40 AM   #5
murphy

Hello Ray
Thanks again for your reply re the TURNIGY charger after which I managed to order one no problem and look forward to recieving it in the near future, being new to the electric flight scene I wonder if you could advise me on a couple of things you mentioned in your excellent reply, what exactly is meant by "lead acid"batteries are they the 12v motor cycle batteries you mention and you can use the TURNIGY to recharge the MC at home using an old PC power supply at home, and excuse my ignorance what exactly do you mean by "an old PC power supply, and what is it as it sounds good to me. Any advice would be appreciated and when I recieve the charger I will probably be asking you for more advice if that is okay with you Ray.
Thanks again Ray,all the best, murphy.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:40 AM   #6
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

Location: Just North of Houston.Heard of Dayton? I didn't think so...
Send a message via Yahoo to xuzme720
Friends: (8)

Hello Ray
Thanks again for your reply re the TURNIGY charger after which I managed to order one no problem and look forward to recieving it in the near future, being new to the electric flight scene I wonder if you could advise me on a couple of things you mentioned in your excellent reply, what exactly is meant by "lead acid"batteries are they the 12v motor cycle batteries you mention and you can use the TURNIGY to recharge the MC at home using an old PC power supply at home, and excuse my ignorance what exactly do you mean by "an old PC power supply, and what is it as it sounds good to me. Any advice would be appreciated and when I recieve the charger I will probably be asking you for more advice if that is okay with you Ray.
Sometimes the acronyms will do ya in!
PC power supply= personal computer power supply...these can usually be found for almost nothing at your local computer repair center. Basically all it does is provide you with a solid 12v d/c from a 110v a/c wall outlet. If you're not familiar with these, let us know. We can try to get you more details.

Just call me X! (or Gary works, too.)
Another signature landing! Somebody help me find all the pieces...

Old 12-23-2008, 04:27 AM   #7
Wrench66

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Hello Ray
Hi Murphy,
Sorry for the confusion, the post from XUZME720 sums it up nicely regarding the power supply. It takes a bit of fiddling to get it to put out a full 12v + but definitely well worth the minimum effort required One thing, make sure the one you select has an on/off switch on it....some don't have them but you need that
The friend I acquired mine from uses a laptop power supply.....seems to work fine as it has a rating of 5amps @ 13v. So, you can add that to your treasure chase when scouring the computer repair centers
The lead acid batteries I described come in all sorts of different sizes and capacities. The one I use is 12v, comes from a street bike and weighs approx 5lbs. You can also make use of the battery in your car when you're at the field......but I have seen a couple friends run their batteries (the car) down far enough that they're too weak to start when it's time to go home So....I just use a smaller battery and normally bring enough batteries to fly most of the day without charging so I usually don't need to charge anything at the field. I have it with me just in case another flyer needs it
The one thing I had to ask my buddy about (when I got the charger from him) was how to "start" it. What I mean is that you input your battery size, voltage and what amp value you'd like it to charge at, and then I didn't know what to do from there! hehehe, he says....."push the enter/start button down until it shows begin charging" :o OK, simple enough.
Since then, I have had zero issues with it and I run it every day (I try and fly every morning (early) at the local schoolyard) and I am considering buying another just to have....since they're pricing is so reasonable and I am always needing something from Hobby City anyway.

Please, PLEASE do not hesitate to ask ANY questions.....regarding this charger or any other RC concerns, lots of us on here are just busting to help!! hehe, if it wasn't for the help I received last year when I was starting out, I might have givin up in frustration.

Merry Christmas!

--Ray

Old 02-27-2009, 01:55 AM   #8
Cdr. Instigator
Pimp My Plane

Club: AMA number is: 934723
Friends: (10)
Default Power supply MOD Fail !!

Ok, so ventured into the unknown and started making my 12V power supply out of an old PC.... I FAILED !!!

I connected everything just as most of you said and I powered it. I had 110V coming into the power supply, but nothing out of my banana plugs. Nothing !! The power supply must have been bad to start off because there was power 110v coming in at the connection, tested via the cables at the power input.

Then my hand twitched and sparks flew .. I got the crap scared out of me .. So, seeing an old computer sitting in a shelf at my aircraft hanger I thought , why don't I do what some here have done ..

I opened the old PC, tested the connections of one of the spare HD Connectors and there was 12.30v coming out of it. I cut a yellow and black cable from it. Made 2 holes on the cover, connected the banana plugs to the firewall, soldered the yellow and black to the plugs, shrink wrapped the connections..

I powered the old PC and there it was 12.30v at the banana jacks. I connected my AccuCell6 and WALA!!!

I succeeded..

Now, no more dead car batteries just turned the PC and plug that baby in ....

Thanks guys for all the info, it really helped out, BIG TIME !!!

Old 02-27-2009, 02:19 AM   #9
Wrench66

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Cool you got it working for you!
There should be more than one leg of 12v in there, connecting more than one of the 12v legs will up your amperage capability too. I run mine off just one of the yellow/black wires and seem to do OK.....but I don't use more than a couple of amps max anyway so it doesn't affect me.

Good goin!

--Ray

Old 02-27-2009, 03:04 AM   #10
Cdr. Instigator
Pimp My Plane

Club: AMA number is: 934723
Friends: (10)

Originally Posted by Wrench66 View Post
Cool you got it working for you!
There should be more than one leg of 12v in there, connecting more than one of the 12v legs will up your amperage capability too. I run mine off just one of the yellow/black wires and seem to do OK.....but I don't use more than a couple of amps max anyway so it doesn't affect me.

Good goin!

--Ray

Exactly... That's why I too, only charge my Lipo's at 2A.. So, it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:18 AM   #11
Wrench66

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Cool

--Ray

Old 03-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #12
CHEECH
IN THRUST WE TRUST

View CHEECH's Gallery20
Friends: (16)
Default Accucell-6

Whats up fellas. I started using my Trinigy charger last night. Surprisingly, it was very easy topping off my Lipos, but made me second guess myself when I tried to charge a new NiMH.

I figured out how to discharge the NiMH. I set it at min of 8V. It took a short while to discharge. But when it came to charging. The battery came up in voltage really fast. About 3 min. Is this normal. Is this what it means to be a field charger. Or will the battery poop out on me halfway through my flight.

Info: Battery NiMH 650 mAh 9.6V 8Cell
Dis-Charged to 8 Volts
Charged at .6 Amps to about 10.66V
I did select 8 Cells in programing on the charger for NiMH.

Note: No Auto feature on the Accucell-6 for NiMH.

Did I do this right? And how many Volts will the 9.6V show when its done charging.

Cheech

Night Crew, Day Sleeper!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #13
CHEECH
IN THRUST WE TRUST

View CHEECH's Gallery20
Friends: (16)

Question answered in other thread. Thanks.

Night Crew, Day Sleeper!
Old 06-11-2010, 04:11 PM   #14
HeliScRapYard
Foam Junkie

View HeliScRapYard's Gallery3
Send a message via AIM to HeliScRapYard
Friends: (2)

i just got one of my accucell chargers a couple weeks ago and today it started giving me a Breakdown error every time i try to charge a lipo. all the other functions work well. just wont charge the lipos. is there a solution to this?

Need More Glue!!!
Old 06-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #15
HeliScRapYard
Foam Junkie

take that back. no charging functions are working.

Need More Glue!!!
Old 06-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #16
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Friends: (6)

Originally Posted by HeliScRapYard View Post
i just got one of my accucell chargers a couple weeks ago and today it started giving me a Breakdown error every time i try to charge a lipo. all the other functions work well. just wont charge the lipos. is there a solution to this?
you have to plug in the batterys main wire leads to the charger also

edit-oops I see you say youve had it a few weeks already so that aint your problem
Old 06-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #17
HeliScRapYard
Foam Junkie

unfortunately not. Will begin to charge. i've had it set to 1A, but when it begins it charges at approx 3A for maybe 10 sec then the error comes up.

Need More Glue!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #18
edwin_philippines

Default How to use Turnigy accucell6 to charge 8.4V 2500mAh nicad

I hope somebody could help me on how to use a Turnigy Acucell6 to charge 8.4V 2500mah nicd.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #19
Swift428

Friends: (1)

Unfortunately, HK does not always include instruction manual ... hope this helps
http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/P...ual%282%29.pdf
Old 03-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #20
edwin_philippines

Thanks Swift428.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers

Tags
accucell6 , batteries , chargers , turnigy