Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Seaplanes E-Powered
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Seaplanes E-Powered Discuss electric powered seaplanes here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-28-2009, 07:21 AM   #126
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

Like this???

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pink.JPG
Views:	799
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	91903

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 01-28-2009, 07:26 AM   #127
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,115 Times in 2,025 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

Perrrrrfect LOL

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #128
larryross
certified FFF addict

Send a message via Skype™ to larryross
Friends: (6)

No color... even though they are good looking fairings they should be as invisible as possible. IMHO
Old 01-29-2009, 03:11 AM   #129
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

paint them lite gray and mount 3 - 50 caliber machine guns on each one LOL

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-29-2009, 04:52 AM   #130
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 

LOL

The plane isnt quite that big. Maybe 2 50 cal each

Larry
Old 01-31-2009, 07:39 AM   #131
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

The new Medusa 36-70-750v2 motor arrived today!

After I got it installed, that let me establish the final position for the two packs. Lucky for me its right where I put the hatch!

Tomorrow I'll do some full power run ups to see if this set up is what Im expecting. Then, if the weather cooperates, I should get to do a water test Sunday!

With the second pack and the heavier motor Im up to 120 ounces all up - just about 7.5 pounds. Just over my highest guestimate at the beginning - as usual!

Im going to be disappointed if it sinks!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4890 (Medium).JPG
Views:	281
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	92153 thats 2ea 6S1P A123 packs and you can also see the Phoenix 80 and the 6volt Sport BEC. The Berg 7 is off to the left a bit under the lip.

Larry
Old 02-01-2009, 12:25 AM   #132
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

Just got back from a very nice day of flying and..... it did NOT sink

I'll post some beauty shots now then more details later. The short version is that I am very pleased over all

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4893 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1175
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	92239

Name:	IMG_4891 (Medium).JPG
Views:	216
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	92240

Name:	IMG_4892 (Medium).JPG
Views:	218
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	92241

Name:	IMG_4895 (Medium).JPG
Views:	231
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	92242

Name:	IMG_4896 (Medium).JPG
Views:	247
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	92243

Name:	IMG_4897 (Medium).JPG
Views:	249
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	92244

Name:	IMG_4898 (Medium).JPG
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	92245

Name:	IMG_4899 (Medium).JPG
Views:	215
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	92246

Name:	IMG_4901 (Medium).JPG
Views:	868
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	92247

Name:	IMG_4902 (Medium).JPG
Views:	226
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	92248

Larry
Old 02-01-2009, 03:54 AM   #133
larryross
certified FFF addict

You should be Larry, she's a baut and if she flies great that's icing on the cake. Congrats

Mine is still not done. I got sidetracted (as usual) with a toon build.
Here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=991359

Want to get back to the Polaris/s though. SOON hopefully.

Larry
Old 02-01-2009, 04:02 AM   #134
larryross
certified FFF addict

Larry
Would you mind picking up on the DaJet discussion on the DaJet thread?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...934315&page=34

Thanks
Larry
Old 02-01-2009, 05:20 AM   #135
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Very Nice Build Larry, It looks Sweet, Now, I am not sure Who is Cuter, the Polaris or You Your going to have to give me some time on that One Glad you had a great time flying today, Are you going to have some video of your Creation Would love to see that, Take care, Chellie

Old 02-01-2009, 06:43 AM   #136
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by larryross View Post
You should be Larry, she's a baut and if she flies great that's icing on the cake. Congrats

Mine is still not done. I got sidetracted (as usual) with a toon build.
Here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=991359

Want to get back to the Polaris/s though. SOON hopefully.

Larry
Thanks Larry! Your going to like how it flys - and it handles great on the water too! Not quite perfect, but good enough

Larry
Would you mind picking up on the DaJet discussion on the DaJet thread?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...934315&page=34

Thanks
Larry
Sorry Larry, but I cant/wont post on RCG any more.

I got permanently banned from RCG because I called the Little Screamers guys, Bob Vincent (Rvincent the shill) and Scott (the owner), liars, fibbers, prevaricators, thieves, cheats, scumbags, degenerates, and, in general, all around bad guys who have bad breath and BO. I had proof of all of that but the last two items

I was actually fairly polite about it - considering that they had cheeted myself and many others and blantantly lied about it, but the senoir Moderator - Jim T Grahm - works for Hobby Lobby and Little Screamers is one of thier main vendors and Hobby Lobby pays a major portion of the bills at RCG.

I got in the way of the money flow and honesty took the hit.

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Very Nice Build Larry, It looks Sweet, Now, I am not sure Who is Cuter, the Polaris or You Your going to have to give me some time on that One Glad you had a great time flying today, Are you going to have some video of your Creation Would love to see that, Take care, Chellie
Thanks Chellie! Did you miss the video I posted back in post 76?I re-posted it in post #1.

I will get a new video done with the new colors asap. Im hoping to get some water video soon too but that may have to wait. The pond in those pics is closely surrounded by trees on 3 sides and on the "open side" there are two trees in dificult locations. Id have to make a sharp 90 degree turn imediately after take off and just prior to landing on that pond. On the flight out and back in you have to dodge those other trees.

I have no problems with BUFY or any of the Capricorns but this plane likes to fly a LOT faster.

I want a few more flights under my belt to get a better feel for the low speed handling before I try that with this bird

Larry
Old 02-01-2009, 06:50 AM   #137
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Keep telling it like it is Larry3215 So What if you got Banned from the other Forum, I visit them for info from time to time, But i like it here a Heck of a lot better I thought you might have some video of the Polaris flying off ther water, It looks very nice on the water, Take care, Chellie

Do You Have a Chain Saw for those pesky trees around the pond

Old 02-01-2009, 06:56 AM   #138
larryross
certified FFF addict

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
Thanks Larry! Your going to like how it flys - and it handles great on the water too! Not quite perfect, but good enough

Sorry Larry, but I cant/wont post on RCG any more.

I got permanently banned from RCG because I called the Little Screamers guys, Bob Vincent (Rvincent the shill) and Scott (the owner), liars, fibbers, prevaricators, thieves, cheats, scumbags, degenerates, and, in general, all around bad guys who have bad breath and BO. I had proof of all of that but the last two items

I was actually fairly polite about it - considering that they had cheeted myself and many others and blantantly lied about it, but the senoir Moderator - Jim T Grahm - works for Hobby Lobby and Little Screamers is one of thier main vendors and Hobby Lobby pays a major portion of the bills at RCG.

I got in the way of the money flow and honesty took the hit.

Thanks Chellie! Did you miss the video I posted back in post 76?I re-posted it in post #1.

I will get a new video done with the new colors asap. Im hoping to get some water video soon too but that may have to wait. The pond in those pics is closely surrounded by trees on 3 sides and on the "open side" there are two trees in dificult locations. Id have to make a sharp 90 degree turn imediately after take off and just prior to landing on that pond. On the flight out and back in you have to dodge those other trees.

I have no problems with BUFY or any of the Capricorns but this plane likes to fly a LOT faster.

I want a few more flights under my belt to get a better feel for the low speed handling before I try that with this bird
Sorry I didn't know.
If I started a thread here or used some other thread. I would really like to further discuss it. I would like to run some ideas by you and get your take. If you would rather not take the time I will understand.

Larry
Old 02-01-2009, 07:20 AM   #139
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

Here are the last of todays pics.

The plane is now a little more than a pound heavier than before but it still flys great! The CG is about 1" more forward than before and I want to move it back. It takes noticably more down stick to hold inverted.

I ran the new system up with a 12x6 prop and was drawing about 64 amps at 1060 watts at 11,200 rpm on the cold 6S2P A123 pack. That was about 30 seconds into the run with the packs still cold at around 45 degrees.

It flew nicely but still didnt quite have 1/1 thrust and the speed still felt a tad slow.

Everything came down barely warm after the flight.

I switched to the 13x6.5 APC E and got 75 amps at 1265 watts on packs that were warmed up after the first flight so they held a bit better voltage.

Much better. I now have better than 1/1 thrust but not by a ton. It will climb straight up forever but its not a rocket. Good enough.

Speed is better but still not as fast as I was expecting. I may try a 13x8 down the road a bit. The packs will handle the draw easily but I'll probably be pushing the controller and motor a tad. If Im not much over 80 amps I may go that way just to have the extra oomph once in a while

Two flights on the 13x6.5 set up and the motor, esc, and packs came down slightly warm. Perfect!

The water tests went very well. I did a lot of hi sped taxiing and turning and going slow and stopping and starting. I got zero water inside - no leaks - and no water got into the air scoop or the servo slots in the tail

The only down side I can see is the turning radius on the water is pretty large. It turns much larger circles than my Capricorns. In one picture below you can see where I didnt start the first turn on the pond soon enough and ended up on a log against the shore! I was just able to reach it with a stick and push it back out.

I need to add a drop down water rudder I think. The main rudder is cut a bit too hi as it sits now. I did that on purpose so it wouldnt drag on land. Ive gone thru a lot of servos that way

Hi speed steering when "on step" is excelent but still rather large turning circles.

Im comparing this to my Mega Capricorn which is a little unfair. The Mega has a rudder thats 5 times as large

Im going to move the step back once I get the CG finalized so that may help with the 'at speed' stearing.

Im not too worried about the turning circle though. This isnt really a small puddle flyer any way. Certainly not to the degree the Capricorns are.

I was mentally comparing it to the Mega Capricorn all day but thats not really fair. They are apples and oranges.

In most ways the Mega handles on the water better - much better actually. Its also easier to fly, take off and land - mostly because it can do all of those things much slower and in a much smaller amount of space and it has a huge amount of built in stability in almost any attitude. The Mega is more agile and far more manoverable too.

Its not that the Polaris flys badly at all, its just that the Mega is in a class by itself.

BUT... when you put the two side by side the Mega is kind of the ugly duckling in comparison. The Polaris is soooo sexy and looks soooo cool in the air that it pretty much balances all the rest out

If I could only have one - Id kick and scream and hollar and choose the Mega, but you'll have to fight me to give up the Polaris

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4904 (Medium).JPG
Views:	170
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	92283

Name:	IMG_4907 (Medium).JPG
Views:	195
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	92285 need to start my turns sooner!

Name:	IMG_4910 (Medium).JPG
Views:	178
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	92286

Name:	IMG_4911 (Medium).JPG
Views:	171
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	92287

Name:	IMG_4913 (Medium).JPG
Views:	193
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	92289

Name:	IMG_4915 (Medium).JPG
Views:	241
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	92290 the wings get wet but nothing else

Name:	IMG_4916 (Medium).JPG
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	92291 The pond

Larry
Old 02-01-2009, 07:30 AM   #140
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

Sorry I didn't know.
If I started a thread here or used some other thread. I would really like to further discuss it. I would like to run some ideas by you and get your take. If you would rather not take the time I will understand.

Larry
Dont sweat it Larry

Start a thread over here for sure! Id love to discuss the plane with you. Its got some unique issues and possibilities I think. Plus it just looks cool

Larry
Old 02-01-2009, 07:35 AM   #141
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

Keep telling it like it is Larry3215 So What if you got Banned from the other Forum, I visit them for info from time to time, But i like it here a Heck of a lot better I thought you might have some video of the Polaris flying off ther water, It looks very nice on the water, Take care, Chellie

Do You Have a Chain Saw for those pesky trees around the pond
I'll get some new video asap

P.S. shhhhhhhhhhhhh..... Dont tell the Tree Huggers, but there is a strong possibility that those two trees out in the flight path may have an 'accident' in the near future.

Larry
Old 02-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #142
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Hi Larry and Larry On the Polaris props, May i suggest trying a wood nitro prop, I have gone over to Nitro wood props on my larger motors, and they seem to work much better than the plastic APC props, lot more thrust and power, I like the Zinger wood props, I belive Zinger even makes a wood e prop, but I like the nitro props better every one i have told this to, has tried the wood nitro props and agree, Just My 2 cents worth, Take care, Chellie

Old 02-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #143
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

I have been meaning to try some glow props on my larger planes but havent gotten around to it yet.

Zinger has a couple of pitch sizes that APC doesnt so I may just try one on the Polaris.

Thanks Chellie!

Larry
Old 02-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #144
larryross
certified FFF addict

Thanks Chellie
I was thinking of maybe trying that on my giant Pitts, but didn't know what to expect. Now I will definately try it.

Larry
Old 02-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #145
larryross
certified FFF addict

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
Dont sweat it Larry

Start a thread over here for sure! Id love to discuss the plane with you. Its got some unique issues and possibilities I think. Plus it just looks cool
Thanks Larry
I will start a thread here as soon as I get to feeling a little better. I really would like to see that stagger wing jet fly. You might just be the man to find the problem. I will appreciate any help you can give.

Larry
Old 02-08-2009, 07:10 AM   #146
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

I got several more flights in on the XXL Polaris today - sorry no video!

I am likeing it more every time I fly it

I moved the CG back some more today but it needs to go back more yet. It still needs a good bit of down to hold inverted. I may have to move my battery hatch so I can move the packs further back.

I discovered today that it spins much better inverted than up-right but still not very well. It may be my technique but its probably mostly a CG thing so I'll try some more after I get the CG back further.

I also discovered that it does an awesome 'Lomchaveck' maneuver. For you 3D guys it looks kind of like a 'wall'. Kind of cool looking! Its important to go easy on the elevator in hi speed turn though or you will get a 'departure from controlled flight'

I did a lot of slow hi alpha flight today. Trying to see if I could fly it off my small pond.

Its not anything like as good as the Capricorns but its not bad. It slows down nicely with some wing rock but its easily controllable. I think my having the ailerons work as elevons helps the wing rock because I get reflex when I give UP elevator.

The trick is to maintain forward speed at all times though. If the speed drops off too much it will abruptly stop flying and start to waffle down towards the ground! Fortunately I have enough power so that all I need to do is goose it and drop the nose a tad and its flying again. It doesnt drop a wing but it still eats up some altitude so you need to be carefull.

Im still not going to try it on the pond untill I have a lot more flights and a better feel for when the stall occurs

Larry
Old 02-08-2009, 09:02 AM   #147
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Your Grounded Larry For no Video and your having Way to much fun Glad The Polaris is flying well for you, Take care, Chellie

Old 02-09-2009, 06:39 AM   #148
larryross
certified FFF addict

Larry
I posted the daJet here.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...635#post560635

I would love for someone to make that little jet fly.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:14 AM   #149
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

Your Grounded Larry For no Video and your having Way to much fun Glad The Polaris is flying well for you, Take care, Chellie
The weather has been to cloudy/foggy to get video the last two times I went out. Maybe next time

Larry
I posted the daJet here.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/shor...635#post560635

I would love for someone to make that little jet fly.
I posted some thoughts in the thread. Hope they help!

I have found a couple of weak points in the design that you may want to address in yours Larry.

I should say its not any weakness due to poor design on Steve's part but a material weakness. The blue foam is not great for hi stress areas and a few places are needing more attention on my plane.

I flipped it over tonight to start the process of moving the step further back and thats when I saw that the foam at the step is showing signs of compression. If you only ran on the water it would not be an issue but I will be flying of grass/pavement more than off water. I decided to add a vertical Ply piece at the step. It will rest on another ply piece to spread the load out along the underside of the tail section.

That tail section is the second area needing attention. I found a number of holes and scratches and divits caused by running over rough grass/ground. The area at the very rear is ok where I had the super slick tape applied. That stuff is very tough.

I was just going to tape over the rest of the underside of the tail but then I found the third problem area.

On the top side just in front of the ply plate the motor/rudder mounts to there is a stress crack across the wing section. Its right exactly where the ply plate stops. There must be a fair amount of bending force at that point.

So... I decided to glass the bottom of the tail section and the top center of the wing at the rear to spread the loads out some more and stifen up the tail section in that area. It would have helped if I had made that plate cover more area extending it more forward.

Larry
Old 02-23-2009, 01:14 AM   #150
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

Had a great time at a fly-in at the lake Sawyer Hawks field yesterday.

It was crazy windy but I flew the Polaris several times anyway. Turns out it handles the wind very well. The new step location seems to work well on the grass so Im anticipating good water habits.

The Polaris got a lot of attention. Two fo the guys told me they had voted it the un-official best of show

Most of the guys had never seen a foamy that big and they were surprised at the power and performance in flight.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4922 (Medium).JPG
Views:	721
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	94560

Name:	IMG_4923 (Medium).JPG
Views:	184
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	94561

Name:	IMG_4924 (Medium).JPG
Views:	195
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	94562 it was soooo windy I had to remove the wings from the big Yak to keep it from blowing over!

Name:	IMG_4925 (Medium).JPG
Views:	173
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	94563

Name:	IMG_4926 (Medium).JPG
Views:	225
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	94564 This 'Bird was so cool! Unfortunately, it crashed on launch.

Name:	IMG_4927 (Medium).JPG
Views:	215
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	94565

Name:	IMG_4917 (Medium).JPG
Views:	225
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	94566

Name:	IMG_4921 (Medium).JPG
Views:	233
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	94568 beefed up step area with 1/8 ply

Larry

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Seaplanes E-Powered

Tags
build , polaris , scratch , xxl