Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
b1srt4

Friends: (0)
Default Think again before buying a Spectrum or JR radio.

I recently contacted Horizon Hobbies regarding a replacement antenna for my DX6 radio. (I purchased three (3) of them a year ago) They refused to send me one stating that the radio must be returned for them to replace the radio antenna. I told them the radio is out of warranty and I would relieve them of any liability for replacing the antenna myself. They still would not send one. They do not care at all about any inconvenience to the modeler, just the almighty dollar.

This is just a money grubbing tactic. There is no reason this antenna could not be shipped out to my home for me to replace. I have been in modeling for over 30 years. My first radio control unit was a Control Air Mule in the 60's.

I have had Kraft, Futaba and Airtronics radios and never had a request for parts refused. It is a sad state of affairs when the modeling industry manufacturers want you to believe you are to stupid to change your own radio antenna just so they can make an extra buck.

I would not buy another Spectrum or JR radio just for that reason; and I would advise everyone looking for a new radio, not to by the Spectrum or JR brands. I would look at the new Futabas. What’s even sadder is that we do not have a good radio like the Kraft made in this country any more. A radio that used to be made in the USA and one that you would never have this type of problem in acquiring parts.

Think again before you buy the Spectrum or JR radio types. The antenna is made of plastic and the joint is weak to start. At least find a manufacturer that will provide you with parts.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

why don't you just order one?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLH1058

It is a direct replacement.

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 01-02-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot  AV Contest  AP Contest Winner 

Wow, replacment antennas, that's cool. Good idea.

Frank

Let's Help Newcomers! << Click Here
Old 01-03-2009, 12:06 AM   #4
darylm44

Club: Frontier Fun Flyers
Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by b1srt4 View Post
I recently contacted Horizon Hobbies regarding a replacement antenna for my DX6 radio. (I purchased three (3) of them a year ago) They refused to send me one stating that the radio must be returned for them to replace the radio antenna. I told them the radio is out of warranty and I would relieve them of any liability for replacing the antenna myself. They still would not send one. They do not care at all about any inconvenience to the modeler, just the almighty dollar.

This is just a money grubbing tactic. There is no reason this antenna could not be shipped out to my home for me to replace. I have been in modeling for over 30 years. My first radio control unit was a Control Air Mule in the 60's.

I have had Kraft, Futaba and Airtronics radios and never had a request for parts refused. It is a sad state of affairs when the modeling industry manufacturers want you to believe you are to stupid to change your own radio antenna just so they can make an extra buck.

I would not buy another Spectrum or JR radio just for that reason; and I would advise everyone looking for a new radio, not to by the Spectrum or JR brands. I would look at the new Futabas. What’s even sadder is that we do not have a good radio like the Kraft made in this country any more. A radio that used to be made in the USA and one that you would never have this type of problem in acquiring parts.

Think again before you buy the Spectrum or JR radio types. The antenna is made of plastic and the joint is weak to start. At least find a manufacturer that will provide you with parts.
Last winter I managed to stick the antenna of my new DX7 into the prop of my Nextstar. It was about 3* and the antenna just vaporized. I called Horizon and they told me the same thing so I boxed it up and sent it back with a letter stating that it was my error and that I would be happen to pay for the repairs. Within 2 weeks it was shipped back to me with with a new antenna and an invoice - NO CHARGE and no charge for the shipping. I call that great customer relations.

I believe they want the DX6i and DX7 transmitters so they can make sure they are tuned properly and comply with FCC regs.

And yes you can purchase a new antenna online for the Spektrum Tx that comes with the CX2. It is identical to the DX6 / DX6 antenna.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:43 AM   #5
crosborne
Chairman of the BORED

Friends: (11)

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post

Does it twist like the DX-7? That would be cool. I modified my DX6 so that I can turn the Ant. 90 degrees and fit in mt Tx case.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:57 AM   #6
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

View Figure.N9ne's Gallery8
Club: Mako's RC Jet Club
Send a message via AIM to Figure.N9ne
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by crosborne View Post
Does it twist like the DX-7? That would be cool. I modified my DX6 so that I can turn the Ant. 90 degrees and fit in mt Tx case.
yes it does. only thing is that it has a slightly difference size base so it'll sit loose on the dx7. a drop of ca and i've been good for about 6 months now.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:01 AM   #7
65Knots750fpm
call me VX

Club: unclub
Friends: (19)

Let's remember that Federal law says you have to be an FCC licensed technician to alter or tune a transmitter! So if you asked me to break the law or help you break the law you would be mad that I did not help?
Old 01-03-2009, 01:44 AM   #8
dogsheep
Banned

Friends: (1)

Waiting is a real pain, andd 65 knots is, of course, right.

I hope it goes well for you.

When I went to Spektrum (DX-7), I kept my old Hitec Optic 6-months later, I was able to buy a Futaba Spektrum module and now I have a cheap ($40) back-up. I hope I never need it, but....

Again, I hope it works out as my experience, until last week over a warranty claim on a GWS plane, is that Horizon is very reponsive and cooperative.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:47 AM   #9
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

View MaxAdventure's Gallery2
Send a message via Yahoo to MaxAdventure
Awards Showcase

3kW  1kW  2kW 
Friends: (7)

I've been die-hard Futaba since my dad bought me my first FGK gold radio. Love them. I just picked up an X9303, love it. I'm extremely happy with my JR radio and Spektrum receivers, really glad I made the switch, and I've read so many good things about their customer service. I know Futaba is great, and an industry leader with 2.4 technology. Nice to have some great choices out there.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:07 AM   #10
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

View Alpea42's Gallery59
Friends: (25)

I had a Control Air Mule single channel radio in the 60's. And I worked in a hobby store that sold Kraft radios. In 1969 they were about $800 and up. That would probably equal $3,000 in todays dollars. It's no wonder they're not around any more

THE B-2 Worlds most expensive airplane.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:13 AM   #11
Airhead
Redneck Member

View Airhead's Gallery23
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  Ambassador Award 
Friends: (29)

Interesting remarks and comments. I have a new DX6 that I have not taken out of the box yet. Hoping to build something good for it.. (or assemble)

I admit I do not know which way to go with my radios in the future. Spektrum or Futuba as for as 2.4's go.

Bruce
AMA 873912

Project Globetrotter participant
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it till it is.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:21 AM   #12
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

View gfdengine204's Gallery6
Club: RC Dusters, AMA 3875, Sandwich, IL
Send a message via AIM to gfdengine204
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (53)

Well, I've been a Spektrum user for 2 years now. Was my first radio setup (DX7), and I have been happy with it from day one. Take that for what you will.

- Kev
AMA 873921
RC Dusters Flying Club, AMA 3875, Sandwich, IL

Question with Boldness. Hold to the Truth. Speak without fear.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:25 AM   #13
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Yaniel View Post
yes it does. only thing is that it has a slightly difference size base so it'll sit loose on the dx7. a drop of ca and i've been good for about 6 months now.
That's good to know. I know it was a perfect fit on the original DX6, that is what I replaced it in.

Knock on wood, I have not had to with my 7. I have tried to be much more careful with it...:o

Old 01-03-2009, 06:34 PM   #14
TbigD

Friends: (3)

Is replaceing the ant altering or tuneing ? I think not.....if you tweak a pot or change out a resistor to a different value, then yes ...Dennis
Old 01-03-2009, 06:54 PM   #15
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

View Sky Sharkster's Gallery11
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (20)
Default Repair or Re-Tune?

Hello VX,
I don't believe replacing an antenna is considered "Modifying" a transmitter. Several companies make and sell "Rubber Duckie" short Tx antennas, and i have never heard of any legal problems associated with their use.
There is also at least one company (Multiplex) that provides information on changing antennas (and converting Modes) with their basic instruction and operating manual.
It seems to me that major manufacturers wouldn't sell replacement antennas (which most, if not all, do) if it were in clear violation of a Federal law.
But it may terminate their own brand guarantee, as with many electronic devices.
JMO,
Ron
Old 01-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #16
pilotpete2
Pilotpete2

I have the Spektrum and FASST modules for my 9C.
First thing I did for the Spektrum module was order a 2.2dbi RP-SMA antenna to go right on the back of the Spektrum module and toss the POS Spektrum conversion antenna in my junk box.
Where's the best place for the antenna? For me, anywhere but sticking out the top of the transmitter, Darym44, what say you
Peter

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
Red Green
Old 01-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #17
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

Hillarious!

Thanks Bill. I think I'll get one myself. You oughtta see the halfazz repair job on mine. The hinge pivot is not very repairable, as there is not much to glue things onto and is quite intricate.

Of all the repairs, so far the plastic railroad detail tubing wrapped around the antenna base, a safety pin hinge, and strips of hole punched metal to repair the pivoting mount, have worked the best. It looks like hell though. The metal strips with holes for the hinge come from S-connector and JST connector sets.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:11 PM   #18
darylm44

Club: Frontier Fun Flyers
Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
First thing I did for the Spektrum module was order a 2.2dbi RP-SMA antenna to go right on the back of the Spektrum module and toss the POS Spektrum conversion antenna in my junk box.
Where's the best place for the antenna? For me, anywhere but sticking out the top of the transmitter, Darym44, what say you
Peter
I have a DX7 not a module. I have never looked at the antenna on a module so I have no basis to say.

I was just wanting to point out that Horizon can have excellent customer service. The only problem I have had in the past was their shipping charges and method to Alaska. But, the last couple of small items they have sent USPS in a padded First Class envelope so I am happy with that. Their charges are now about mid range for online stores and it only takes 3-4 days to get delivery.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:04 PM   #19
b1srt4

I asked the sales associates about that antenna and they said it would not work. Thats when I started to talk with the techs. Otherwise, I would have ordered one immediately.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:09 PM   #20
b1srt4

Originally Posted by 65Knots750fpm View Post
Let's remember that Federal law says you have to be an FCC licensed technician to alter or tune a transmitter! So if you asked me to break the law or help you break the law you would be mad that I did not help?
Installation of a replacement antenna is not altering or retuning anything!
Old 01-03-2009, 09:30 PM   #21
swass rc dawg

View swass rc dawg's Gallery22
Friends: (13)

i just had my motor channel go out on my dx6 receiver any answers on why
and any one know if this set up will work for this 32'' wing it has A speed 300 7amp esc 900 mah two cell battery

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	89068 speed 300

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	89069 bottom

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	89070 top

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	89071
Old 01-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #22
b1srt4

Originally Posted by Alpea42 View Post
I had a Control Air Mule single channel radio in the 60's. And I worked in a hobby store that sold Kraft radios. In 1969 they were about $800 and up. That would probably equal $3,000 in todays dollars. It's no wonder they're not around any more
It would appear that we are very close in age so you should remember that Bell labs only started production of the transistor around 1947. The radio control units used by modelers was probably at its most expensive time. It was approximately two decades after this that the Control Air Mule was offered to modelers. Electronics of all kinds have been reduce in price for many reasons. My Kraft 6 channel only cost me around $300 back then, and with prices continually being lowered as all electronics have, I do not see the cost being $3,000 today. Some things on the radios are better and some are not, but the prices are equivalent to the manufacturing capabilities, materials, and time.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:37 PM   #23
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

I asked the sales associates about that antenna and they said it would not work. Thats when I started to talk with the techs. Otherwise, I would have ordered one immediately.

Well I beg to differ. I guess they have to say that since it is not a Spektrum part.

I replaced the one on mine and several other folks on this board have as well and it works like a champ.

I did a range check on mine at .33 of a mile and it worked with no problems at all. This was a ground check down the road and around the curve, out of line of sight. This image show where I was standing at our club gate and where the plane was on the field.

Name:	field.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	89078

Old 01-04-2009, 12:40 AM   #24
chimpanzee

Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
Peter
Where's a good place to get a 2.2Dbi RP-SMA antenna?
Old 01-04-2009, 04:19 AM   #25
65Knots750fpm
call me VX

Club: unclub
Friends: (19)

Originally Posted by Sky Sharkster View Post
Hello VX,
I don't believe replacing an antenna is considered "Modifying" a transmitter. Several companies make and sell "Rubber Duckie" short Tx antennas, and i have never heard of any legal problems associated with their use.
There is also at least one company (Multiplex) that provides information on changing antennas (and converting Modes) with their basic instruction and operating manual.
It seems to me that major manufacturers wouldn't sell replacement antennas (which most, if not all, do) if it were in clear violation of a Federal law.
But it may terminate their own brand guarantee, as with many electronic devices.
JMO,
Ron
Installation of a replacement antenna is not altering or retuning anything!
Do you know this? Or just think you know! Look on the back of your transmitter! That is a FCC permit number for that device. It certifies that device will perform its designed purpose within design specifications! Some parts are field replaceable. 72 MHz antenna no big deal! Designers and engineers decide this with FCC approval. Trading antenna between two devices makes me uncomfortable if it is not the designed replacement like the “rubber ducky” short antenna. It also has a FCC permit number.

All that said, just like running 85mph in a 55mph zone all is well till you see flashing lights. Is the FCC going to hunt you down for swapping parts on your radio, not so much!

But if you are standing in a court of law after injuring or killing someone with your airplane, radio failure or not. What do you think your insurance, the AMA, and the manufacturer of plane and radio will do when you have to tell the judge “Yes sir I broke federal regulation to save a few bucks”

Some things are just not worth it!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros

Tags
buying , jr , radio , spectrum