Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #26
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

View gfdengine204's Gallery6
Club: RC Dusters, AMA 3875, Sandwich, IL
Send a message via AIM to gfdengine204
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (53)

And to point out, just because someone SELLS something does not make it's use legal.

For example, in Illinois, you can go to your local Walmart or NAPA dealer and purchase covers for your license plates. However, use of such covers (clear, tinted or otherwise) is EXPRESSLY forbidden by the Illinois Vehicle Code. (OK OK so kill me for using this example, it's the first one that came to mind this early. LOL)

Just because you can BUY a replacement antenna does not necessarily mean it's use is proper and legal. If it is not OEM, then you risk liability, if, like 65knots says, you have a crash and damage property or hurt or kill someone.

- Kev
AMA 873921
RC Dusters Flying Club, AMA 3875, Sandwich, IL

Question with Boldness. Hold to the Truth. Speak without fear.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #27
Twmaster

View Twmaster's Gallery17
Friends: (13)

Part of the reason Horizon wants you to send it in is that the parts on these 2.4G antennas are easy to break or otherwise damage. 72MHz antennas are much more forgiving. As pointed out product liability comes into play.

You can thank our sue happy society for this.

Honestly though, posting this thread telling us to basically not buy a Spektrum or JR radio because -you- are mad at them for not selling you an antenna is just silly IMO.

Mike N

Support the entire Constitution.
Not just the parts you like.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #28
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

Location: Just North of Houston.Heard of Dayton? I didn't think so...
Send a message via Yahoo to xuzme720
Friends: (8)

I have to agree with Mike, I don"t think I could eat 8 either!

Ok, I know. Bad joke.
I think the main issue here is customer service, not product quality. I understand venting due to lousy service! I think we all do, unfortunately, due to having been on the receiving end of lousy service. It feels like you're being taken advantage of, even if the intentions are good on the part of the company. As stated earlier, it's not a bad thing if the radio is looked over before you trust your pride and joy to it. Think about it, if you replace the antenna, and lose control of your model after that, how are you going to feel about the radio then? I understand also the negative bias towards having just one option available. (Car parts that are only available through the dealer come to mind...) Having to be without your radio for awhile sucks, but consider the alternative if you have to go without a plane. For the record, if it was a 72 rather than a 2.4, my suggestion would be just the opposite, as Mike said they are much more easily replaced and forgiving.

Just call me X! (or Gary works, too.)
Another signature landing! Somebody help me find all the pieces...

Old 01-04-2009, 05:48 PM   #29
pilotpete2
Pilotpete2

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by chimpanzee View Post
Where's a good place to get a 2.2Dbi RP-SMA antenna?
SparkFun Electronics - 2.4GHz Duck Antenna RP-SMA

Twmaster makes a good point about the tiny coaxial connector that connects the antenna cable to the RF board in the transmitter, little buggers.

Pete

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
Red Green
Old 01-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #30
darylm44

Club: Frontier Fun Flyers
Friends: (2)

I probably shouldn't say this but b1srt4's first post seems to have a bit of "attitude". If his conversations with horizon also had attitude he may have received some "attitude" back. It is hard working on a customer service desk. I know that I sometimes reflect "attitude" when I deal with those poor folks and it never seems to help. As my pappy used to say "you can catch more flys with Honey than vinegar."

I have had a couple of differences with Horizon, but overall their customer service is certainly way above average. b1srt4 says he purchased 3 DX6s so what is so terrible about having to send one back for a couple of weeks and having it fixed right.

I don't think new folks reading this thread should be concerned about followup service if they purchase a Spektrum or JR Tx. Lieutenant Longhead is the only person I know who had a legitimate gripe and that was eventually settled. I really believe that if Horizon had figured out sooner there was a transmitter problem they would have exchanged it sooner.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:48 PM   #31
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

I still say replacing the antenna is not a problem. No more so than changing the battery to a different brand or type, and most, if not all of us who have had a radio more than a year have replaced a battery.

If you put a lipo in it and say it dies while your flying and you crash causing property damage, aren't you just as responsible for altering the radio as if you replaced the antenna?

What about all those folks that did the voltage regulator mod to the original DX6? same thing...

I think we're making a mountain out of a molehill. Either buy the antenna and put it on or send it back and let them do it. Or fly with the busted antenna (probably not the best choice)

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 01-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #32
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Well I beg to differ. I guess they have to say that since it is not a Spektrum part.

I replaced the one on mine and several other folks on this board have as well and it works like a champ.

I did a range check on mine at .33 of a mile and it worked with no problems at all. This was a ground check down the road and around the curve, out of line of sight. This image show where I was standing at our club gate and where the plane was on the field.

Attachment 89078
Absoulutely. I'm sure it works fine. The sales techs have no electrical background and generally have no idea of what they are talking about. I would imagine that a good antennae for 2.4G is a good antenna for any 2.4G unit. Ask those sales techs to explain the difference as to why their brand needs their own, in detailed electrical parameters.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:38 PM   #33
b1srt4

Well I beg to differ. I guess they have to say that since it is not a Spektrum part.

I replaced the one on mine and several other folks on this board have as well and it works like a champ.

I did a range check on mine at .33 of a mile and it worked with no problems at all. This was a ground check down the road and around the curve, out of line of sight. This image show where I was standing at our club gate and where the plane was on the field.

Attachment 89078
After reading your post, I ordered one and will give it a try. I will advise you as to how it works for me. With the range you get listed above, that is more than ample for a park flyer. As you know, if you can't see it you can't control it.

Thanks for your input.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #34
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by b1srt4 View Post
After reading your post, I ordered one and will give it a try. I will advise you as to how it works for me. With the range you get listed above, that is more than ample for a park flyer. As you know, if you can't see it you can't control it.

Thanks for your input.

No problem! You are most welcome.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #35
b1srt4

Default Thanks

No problem! You are most welcome.
Hello FiremanBill,

Just wanted to drop you a quick note and let you know the antenna came in last night and I installed it as soon as I got home. Only took about 15 minutes.

Radio check went well. Range is no problem. May buy a couple more just in case I have another clean up accident.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:35 PM   #36
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by b1srt4 View Post
Hello FiremanBill,

Just wanted to drop you a quick note and let you know the antenna came in last night and I installed it as soon as I got home. Only took about 15 minutes.

Radio check went well. Range is no problem. May buy a couple more just in case I have another clean up accident.

Thanks for your help.
Sweet! Glad it worked out for you.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:37 AM   #37
kolchac
RC Lawndart Master

Replacing the ant. is O.K. I've been around radios most of my life. The family is into H.A.M. radios for along time.

There is a set of freq. that are set aside for r.c., cell phones, private and commercial radio, etc.

Replacing the ant. does not change the freq.

I have 3 different types of ant. above the house and across the yard. You could say a nice cancer dome over the house when the mike on the HAM redio is keyed.

If you know how to change the freq. You have to keep it in the legal freq.

Changing the ant on a 2.4 GHz radio is the same as changing the ant on a MHz radio. Buy it, intall it, fly it.

Enjoy
Old 05-05-2010, 02:12 AM   #38
crshbandit

View crshbandit's Gallery1
Club: looking for a good club
Friends: (5)

Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
I have the Spektrum and FASST modules for my 9C.
First thing I did for the Spektrum module was order a 2.2dbi RP-SMA antenna to go right on the back of the Spektrum module and toss the POS Spektrum conversion antenna in my junk box.
Where's the best place for the antenna? For me, anywhere but sticking out the top of the transmitter, Darym44, what say you
Peter
WHaaa Whats a 2.2 dbi RP-SMA antenna? got a link for it?
Old 05-05-2010, 04:14 AM   #39
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Friends: (6)

Yep - you're right - JR's are all POS's

Any of you that have a JR 12X POS lying around pissing you off (for ANY reason), please box it up. Jeff@LAX, 90045 will probably get it to me ok

Jeff/LAX
(don't panic - I don't land the planes)
(but I've been known to lie.....)
Old 05-05-2010, 04:50 AM   #40
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

View dbcisco's Gallery9
Friends: (7)

Originally Posted by 65Knots750fpm View Post
Let's remember that Federal law says you have to be an FCC licensed technician to alter or tune a transmitter! So if you asked me to break the law or help you break the law you would be mad that I did not help?
I just was looking at FCC part 95 on this topic for a citation regarding RC for robotics. The FCC says nothing of the sort!
To wit:
"internal repairs or internal adjustments should be performed by or under the immediate supervision and responsibility of a person certified as technically qualified to perform transmitter maintenance and repair duties in the private land mobile services and fixed services by an organization or committee representative of users in those services."

A recommendation not a law and no FCC certified technician at all mentioned.
If you find contradictory FCC documentatin please post.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #41
crshbandit

Originally Posted by chimpanzee
Where's a good place to get a 2.2Dbi RP-SMA antenna?
SparkFun Electronics - 2.4GHz Duck Antenna RP-SMA

So all you need to do is unscrew the old spectrum antenna and screw this new one in?
Old 05-05-2010, 10:01 PM   #42
crshbandit

Also, I am ready to finally buy my first 2.4 ghz radio! My local hobby shop has the DX 6i for $210.00 plus tax with the micro reciever that I want. Do you think I can do much better than this price? I want to buy new. I would also like to buy an extra reciever right away, any good sources for those or should I also buy that thru the hobby shop. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #43
spad

You can do a lot better than that radio! The DX-7 isn't much more, but it's light years better.

The new Aurora 9 from Hitec is also light years ahead.

If you can't pay more, I suggest buying a used DX-7: you won't regret it.

What do I use, you ask: a Hitec Optic 6 with spektrum module, a JR X9303, a Dx-7, and this Friday, a Hitec Aurora 9! (I "had" a 6i for a short time!)
Old 05-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #44
capn chaos
Super Contributor

Club: no pack-lone wolf
Friends: (20)

I have to check in here just to say I understand both sides of this issue.
There is no right or wrong but there is a "policy" and that policy seems to be that if you have a full range, DX6 transmitter or similar, Horizon would like to oversee what is done during even casual modifications. No doubt in my mind that a large percentage of Watt Flyers could take the transmitter and rewire (improving as they go) internal components. From my perspective, Horizon "assumes" that every one out there is a "capn chaos" with no idea of what to do once inside. Horizon technical department cant distinguish between the two.
Lets take an example. Guy goes to his club or flyin after retrofitting or other wise altering his XYZ59X radio transmitter. After loosing control of plane, others quiry what the problem might be. XYZ59x radio equipment will usually take the rap if something obvioius (parts falling off in mid air) is not to blame and the company suffers. It may be that the operator takes the hit by claiming "how did that happen, I just rewired the whole transmitter" but I wouldn't hold MY breath waiting for that.
An exageration I know but...
Horizon is in a very volital market and word travels fast. sooo to that end...
They have fixed two of my radios (my mistakes, admitted up front) and returned quickly at no charge. They have talked me through some fairly stupid mistakes while getting used to a programable radio.
(my first computer radio...not first stupid mistake)
Are they the best radio system out there..not likely...are they good. yup!
Do they base all decisions on the almight buck?...not from my experience. (s). Do they care about their reputation...you betcha. Is there customer service timely, yes in my experience.
Cant find fault with their policy. Cant find fault with the other position either. Just maybe should look at it from both sides before categorically condemning them for wanting to make that conversion/repair themselves.

CC
Old 05-06-2010, 02:07 AM   #45
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by capn chaos View Post
There is no right or wrong but there is a "policy" and that policy seems to be that if you have a full range, DX6 transmitter or similar, Horizon would like to oversee what is done during even casual modifications.
CC
After working in the Service department (for many years) of a company that manufactured 38,000 volt circuit breakers, I saw my share of control repairs done by customers using a 350 watt soldering gun to replace a small transistor on our circuit boards. On one of my many field service trips, I traveled to a customer to repair a control where the customer cut the control cable in half to slip it through conduit, then resoldered the wires to the weather and water proof 24 pin amphenol connector with a BLOWTORCH! (Burned up insulation and short circuits all over the place) And that connector was no longer water tight.

I suspect the Horizon Service department has run across similar issues with repairs done by their customers.

Since Horizon has no knowledge of the repair capabilities of the guy on the other end of the phone asking for spare parts, I really can't blame Horizon for being a little careful.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:25 AM   #46
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

View dbcisco's Gallery9

I used to have a service charge sign in my shop (80's) that read:

Normal rate: $25/hr
If you watch: $35/hr
If you help: $50/hr
If you fixed it first: $100/hr
Old 05-06-2010, 02:28 AM   #47
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

View dbcisco's Gallery9

There is a good reason why "Warrantee void if seal is broken or removed." is one of the most commonly printed sentences in the English language.

"Close cover before striking." is number one.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:34 AM   #48
Airhead
Redneck Member

View Airhead's Gallery23
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  Ambassador Award 
Friends: (29)

Originally Posted by dbcisco View Post
I used to have a service charge sign in my shop (80's) that read:

Normal rate: $25/hr
If you watch: $35/hr
If you help: $50/hr
If you fixed it first: $100/hr
yup,
I've seen those signs..... had one myself when I had a motorcycle shop... Funny but true..

Bruce
AMA 873912

Project Globetrotter participant
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it till it is.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #49
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Club: C.D.P.A.
Friends: (2)

I just recently had to have the antenna on my DX7 fixed by Horizon. I had dropped the radio and broken it off. I told them exactly what had happened, and it was obvious on the radio. My DX7 was quite out of warranty and I fully expected to pay for the replacement and the return shipping. I received the radio back 8 days later with a note saying "repaired for free in the spirit of great customer service".

I broke it, and they fixed it and shipped it for nothing out of my pocket. I have to give Horizon a big thumbs up for it.

I could have fixed the antenna with a little tape, or replaced it myself, but is saving a few dollars worth losing a plane that I've dropped over $400? I don't think so.

It amazes me when people complain about spending a trivial amount of money on their radio for repair. Don't they realize that the radio is the ONLY thing between you and that EXPENSIVE aircraft? I remember FiremanBill saying a couple of years ago that the most important part of the whole system is the radio and receivers. He could not have been more right. I've tried cheaper solutions, and after throwing a great deal of money away, I ended up selling everything at a great loss and doing a complete conversion to Spektrum.

It's not a cheap hobby. It can be done for less, but it's still not cheap.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #50
spad

Your experience with Horizon is mine: "they" really DO seem to care, if you do!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros

Tags
buying , jr , radio , spectrum