Ok, I have began the Redesign and build of an old favorite..the Ace Skampy .. originally designed by Owen Kampen and kitted by Ace. Was in the Dec 67 issue of RCM
There were several people who built it, some had good results, some , like me , noticed it flew OK (mine was heavy and snapped a lot and glided like a brick) but something was wrong.
There is another thread somewhere that a couple people are starting one. I decided to "fix" the problems an one of them is weight (all the sheet balsa) and the other seems to be the high angle of wing incidence and stab negative incidence. This was acceptible for Rudder only as it kept a positive inciudence needed to make turns without an elevator as in rudder only flying.Only problem I see is it created a sortof controlled "mush" on deasdstick as there was no throttle on the .020.. added to the weight, caused a snap easily. This one I am using rudder and elev (will cut them in later) a screaming .010 TD and maybe in the future convert to electric and throttle. Radio weight should be close to original actuator, reciever and batts but will have more channels. I have reduced the wing incidence to about 1/5 and the stab incidence to nearly zero.
This should cure the mush tendency as well as make it more of a floater as the all up weight is going to be less than 1/2 and maybe closer to 1/3 the original.
I am uploading the picts,You more experienced old timers will be able to easily figure it out from the pics. I will do a separate thread on the dowel edging later.
Here it is, painted minus trim, with all flying surfaces and cowl. 3.0 OZ Aileron tubes installed, all hinges will be dacron thread (yep , old school) .
When weighed with all surfaces TD .010, Berg receiver,2 servos and cowl was 4.8 OZ, minus LG and rec batt. I should be all up about 6 OZ well below the 8 OZ unloaded of the original..and have 3 channels
If I did an electric, would probably weigh in at 6 OZ full house!
I used the Acrylic / Airbrush method with Yellow Acrylic from Wally World. I first prepared the surface with a mixture of DAP Light and final spackle with about 50% windshield washer fluid the first time then 50% alcohol the second time (windshield washer fluid is better as the DAP comes somewhat out of solution and sticks to the brush too much). I used 220 wet or dry used dry and then 320 and 400 to finish. I still have to put a coat of clear poly-water base yet after I do graphics.
I am thinking of trying a 3 D winners flag and 3 D pylon race number .I got in a hurry , did not wait on the weather to clear and succeeded in dusting everything in my pro sound room, shop and office with a coat of dust...Got so sick of it, decided to wait a bit till weather warms ( a few days) and I can open all doors and clean it all off and start finishing the Skampy, the All Star Bipe and the 2 2/3 Rumplestadts. Still got the supesized Chief, the Mach None and one other to finish.
I gots ta hurry though, when building weather arrives, gonna be vinyling the house, new windows/doors and starting an addition.... that's not gonna be long.
I think I'll be able to get the Skampy and the Allstar flight ready before I start the remodeling.
BTW, I discovered something I will have to figure out with foamcore . When a nice perimeter is used, any temp/humidity (not sure which) swings will cause it to warp (I don't think pure depron will do this) . I think also if a fast finish is applied to the foamboard surface after putting on trim perimenter, it does not warp near as bad.
Some I'm not real happy about that factor at this time. Looks like a bit of experimenting to explore all the variables is in order.
The Skampy surfaces were so small, it didnt affect it, but the Allstar warped ,and the Chief (larger yet)did as well.
I have found that by laying a straight hard balsa "spar" on the hingeline of the ele & rudder will pretty much stop the foamcore from warping.
Also some foamcore sheets are just more prone to warping that other, even the same brand. Must be just the way they were rolled out or the temperature wasnt just right when it was produced.
One of the mysteries of life I guess........
Hi, thanks for the comment, I start out with this and then also add the balsa spar on both the stab and the elevator...and same on the rudder and fin.... The Skampy's surfaces did not warp...but the larger Allstar and Chiefs surfaces to quite a lick
I haven;t got to finish the Skampy yet.. I've been working on my flight box (my design) I decided to "practice" my airbrush techniques(this is my first airbrush job) on my filed box first.... then the Alstar Bipe, then last the Skampy since its so small. I will be doing the 3 D flag and ole #7 on the Skampy